Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I honestly like that little wrinkle. I totally understand someone looking at the basic history of "Branded person appears, leading to calamity striking" and going "well there's an obvious connection here" and deciding to head it off at the pass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Jade Rider posted:

Super early-game XI spoilers, but what kind of dumbass do you have to be to make the leap of logic from "oh the evil lord and legendary hero appear around the same time" to "welp guess I'll throw the legendary hero in the dungeon"? Like the evil lord's going to say "No hero? Guess I'll postpone my plans to take over the world" instead of "Thanks for getting rid of the only one who can oppose me, idiot, I'll be sure to violently conquer your kingdom last". Hoping it gets a proper explanation later.

Don't worry the reason for this is very, very obvious.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Was the motion blur motion sickness issue fixed in the Switch version docked or undocked?

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
So according to Destructiod's Review of 11S, there might be a 9th Party member? Wonder who it could be .
https://www.destructoid.com/dragon-quest-xi-on-switch-earns-the-definitive-in-its-title-567963.phtml

On a side note, reviews of 11S in general are super, super positive.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

quote:

That said, the version we got here in the West was somewhat compromised compared to what Japanese players enjoyed. The Definitive Edition aims to change all that, bringing over almost all of the content which was cut prior to the international release.

Are they making poo poo up?

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yeah that is literally a lie. the japanese version didn't even have voice acting iirc.

if there is a new party member, i hope it's jasper

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I can think of a bunch of possibilities depending on where in the story they want the new character to come in. They don't tend to base these things on balance, but a second primary healer or thief could be nice.

Couldn't find spoilers anywhere, but I'm sure it'll be well known once the game drops.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

I'd kinda like Erik's vaguely sociopathic jerk of a sister. Or Gemma so the endgame spoiler marriage comes less out if left field.

Probably Jasper though.

A Sometimes Food fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Sep 27, 2019

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

A Sometimes Food posted:

I'd kinda like Erik's vaguely sociopathic jerk of a sister. Or Gemma so the endgame spoiler marriage comes less out if left field.

Probably Jasper though.

Should probably spoiler that. But yeah, the first spoiler seems reasonable since that character just sort of drops out once the narrative role is complete.

Could also use someone with a merchant talent set, so that would also work there.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Isn't Erik and his sister staring in that new Monsters game? that makes me think she might be #9

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
oooh i forgot about mia, yeah i hope it's her actually

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The dog from the intro is who it really should be. They’ve already got battle animations!

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

an actual dog posted:

Are they making poo poo up?

We did not get the 3DS version, but otherwise they are lying.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

There was some 3DS exclusive content that the Switch is getting right? Maybe that's what they meant?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So I’ve recently discovered there are a few Dragon Quest anime out there. Are any of them any good?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
hey gbc dragon quest monsters is out on switch in japan, on the off chance anybody besides me is interested in that

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Larryb posted:

So I’ve recently discovered there are a few Dragon Quest anime out there. Are any of them any good?

Wondering this myself. I remember the ad in either EGM or Nintendo Power that mentioned a "Dragon Warrior cartoon show" so I kept an eye out on my weekly TV guide thing that came with the sunday paper (Washington Post), and after like, a year or two, found a tiny little box off in a 6am Saturday corner that just said "Dragon". I set my alarm and got up super early on Saturday, of all days, and it was...

Dragon Ball.

Not Z, the original TV series. They were breaking the 4th wall constantly and I found it all to be quite hilarious, so not a complete loss.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I remember one that aired in my market in the early 90s at like 7:30 am. It was only 13 episodes long and the last episode ended in a narration about how the Dragon Warrior eventually got powerful enough to fly and defeat the dark lord.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Spent a bit of time looking at DQ 11 S promo art and noticing that Jasper is a lot more prominent in marketing, standing with the party, getting chibi art etc

It could just because he's the evil bishonen of the game, but if there is a ninth party member, it's probably him

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

Spent a bit of time looking at DQ 11 S promo art and noticing that Jasper is a lot more prominent in marketing, standing with the party, getting chibi art etc

It could just because he's the evil bishonen of the game, but if there is a ninth party member, it's probably him

Not doubting, but where are you seeing the promo art? All the stuff I'm looking at doesn't even have the eighth member.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Sorry! I should have specified Japanese promotional art

This could all be coincidental of course, but i wanna believe

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

That would make a lot of sense and work well within the story imo.

Jasper is pretty unceremoniously killed in the new timeline and being able to get a chance at redemption and move beyond his envy would fit well with the themes of the new timeline.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Tim Rogers says Dragon Quest XI S includes a throwback PS2 style graphics mode in homage to VIII in his video overview.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Expect My Mom posted:

Sorry! I should have specified Japanese promotional art

This could all be coincidental of course, but i wanna believe

Yeah, I’d say the odds of it being him are super high now.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Watch it be Ryu instead.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The new party member should be Sage Serena from act 2 with all those abilities. Or just adult Veronica. :v:

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
When I first played I honestly thought Vince would be a party member, so maybe him?

I think it's kind of cool that there are so many characters that it viably could be.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I was going to come here to talk about how I have found out DQXI owns but it seems like now's a bad time to read this thread without having played DQXI.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

On Vince

gently caress Vince™

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

ROFL Octopus posted:

On Vince

gently caress Vince™

This guy gets it :colbert:

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
SE should put that dog-launching tech they recovered for the FF8 rerelease and give it to Gemma and Sandy.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

I wish the 2d mode had voice acting and monster animations, but otherwise it's wonderful.

DQ3 on SNES is my favorite 2d game ever graphically, so dope to get another game in that style in 2019.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
It's obviously Dave.

Larryb posted:

The DQ anime starting Goku Abel based on DQ3 ran a few episodes in the US in the early 90s and it was good for the time. Dunno how it holds up now.

If Dai's Journey has an anime it's probably good. The manga was good overall with some dumb parts but Eleven has more than a few obvious inspirations taken from Dai.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Amppelix posted:

I was going to come here to talk about how I have found out DQXI owns but it seems like now's a bad time to read this thread without having played DQXI.

Might wanna avoid the thread until you hit about 15 minutes into Act 3. You’re basically done with spoiler content at that point.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I know that everyone is very chuffed for 11Switch (My copy is coming tomorrow) and all, but can anyone say on good authority whether Builders 2 for Switch runs well technically speaking? I've been burned before by technically inept Switch games and am justifiably a bit wary. I already have B1 for PS4 and I'm not planning to repurchase that one, but I'm thinking of getting 2 and I'm trying to decide if I should stick with the big black box or go mobile.

Hokuto
Jul 21, 2002

Soiled Meat

Evil Fluffy posted:

If Dai's Journey has an anime it's probably good. The manga was good overall with some dumb parts but Eleven has more than a few obvious inspirations taken from Dai.

The Adventure of Dai was a Jump property and it had a fairly well-received TV anime adaptation that from what I understand had Spanish, Italian, and French dubs, along with translations of the manga in those languages. Dai even made it into Jump Force, making two Dragon Quest inclusions in crossover games this year that threw people in the English-speaking world for a loop. :v:

The manga/anime itself is fairly standard shonen fare with lots of fight arcs of increasing power scope, with Dragon Quest flavoring.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

JustJeff88 posted:

I know that everyone is very chuffed for 11Switch (My copy is coming tomorrow) and all, but can anyone say on good authority whether Builders 2 for Switch runs well technically speaking? I've been burned before by technically inept Switch games and am justifiably a bit wary. I already have B1 for PS4 and I'm not planning to repurchase that one, but I'm thinking of getting 2 and I'm trying to decide if I should stick with the big black box or go mobile.

I heard Builders 2 can get pretty choppy but I don't know too much about it. Not sure if the demo is even a good tell or not as I haven't played it. For what it's worth I did have Builders 1 on Switch and it ran great from start to finish. I trust Digital Foundry and they have a video, check it out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8aF1DyLCfA

snograt
Jul 18, 2013

rattus rattus
senile old twattus
Any fellow Brit insomniacs/shift workers - DQXI is good to go now.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

OhFunny posted:

Tim Rogers says Dragon Quest XI S includes a throwback PS2 style graphics mode in homage to VIII in his video overview.
I'm 90% sure this was a joke about the Switch version having some more pronounced pop in and little anti-aliasing, but after learning about a ninth character, i'll believe anything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

It would have been cool if they included an HD enhanced version of the 3DS's graphical mode.