Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
That wouldn't make any sense. Intel is capacity limited. There is more demand than they can fulfill, AMD taking a tiny piece of it away does nothing to hurt Intel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Seems like the PR of being in the surface is worth more right now. "Intel Inside" is etched pretty deeply into the consumer mind.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

K8.0 posted:

That wouldn't make any sense. Intel is capacity limited. There is more demand than they can fulfill, AMD taking a tiny piece of it away does nothing to hurt Intel.

Surface books laptops are 3-4% of total laptop shipments, that doesn’t strike me as tiny

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Intel's production is way more than 3-4% of the laptop market under demand, and that production has to fill everything, not just laptops. If they lose some high-margin laptop sales, NBD, they can just crank out some more high-demand Xeons or desktop CPUs or more likely just sell to another laptop manufacturer who wasn't previously able to get all the high-end CPUs they wanted.

My point is that the thing AMD gains here is prestige and possibly more access to other high end (and thus higher margin) products. They aren't hurting Intel so much as they're helping themselves, especially in the long run.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

K8.0 posted:

My point is that the thing AMD gains here is prestige and possibly more access to other high end (and thus higher margin) products. They aren't hurting Intel so much as they're helping themselves, especially in the long run.

Though less monetary, building an x64 Windows PC platform with Microsoft will gain AMD a lot of benefit with performance generally under Windows as Microsoft incorporates better native memory and thread management, better power control, etc. It may not seem like much, but if it can make the experience cheaper, quicker, and more reliable for OEMs and end users of Windows, it’s a really big selling point.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
so I cranked up my Athlon 200GE to 3.8 GHz via the multiplier on the BIOS, and it seems stable enough after a few hours of play and use, but I also notice that the CPU is running at that speed all the time, rather than "downclocking" to meet the load. That's normal for what I've done, right? This is my first time ever messing with overclocking.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

so I cranked up my Athlon 200GE to 3.8 GHz via the multiplier on the BIOS, and it seems stable enough after a few hours of play and use, but I also notice that the CPU is running at that speed all the time, rather than "downclocking" to meet the load. That's normal for what I've done, right? This is my first time ever messing with overclocking.

yes

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Rumor mill claims the 4-channel Threadrippers are supposed to get a new socket.

Then again, I read it on WCCF.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Honestly it wouldn't surprise me? To handle that much ram you do need the electrical connections, and the old socket may not have them.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Was able to snipe a 3900x off Amazon, should be here in 2 days :circlefap: irritating everywhere seems to be charging 570 now but even microcenter jacked the price up so gently caress it, tired of waiting.

Can't wait to start bitching about VFIO

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

So how long is it gonna take for AMD to get its poo poo together with 3900X stocks?

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

My crystal ball says it'll be fixed when they fix it.

eames
May 9, 2009

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

So how long is it gonna take for AMD to get its poo poo together with 3900X stocks?

:iiam:

TSMC 7nm running at capacity

rumors of 3950X delays being a combination of insufficient yields for top bins and CPUs not hitting marketing frequencies which is a problem because of increased scrutiny

TR still not out

Rumors of Microsoft partnering with AMD for Sueface devices (that typo came from my iOS autocorrect keyboard and I can’t get myself to change it :colbert:)

Intel expecting 14nm and 10nm shortages across the board because they shuffled fabs around last year

did I miss something?

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Surface Books are gonna have Intel and AMD versions. Which makes more sense than AMD exclusive.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

iospace posted:

Honestly it wouldn't surprise me? To handle that much ram you do need the electrical connections, and the old socket may not have them.
What? Current Threadrippers are already 4-channel dual rows.

The 8-channel ones, yea, I'd figure. It's expected for them to use the EPYC SP3 socket, and the WRX80 chipset.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Combat Pretzel posted:

What? Current Threadrippers are already 4-channel dual rows.

The 8-channel ones, yea, I'd figure. It's expected for them to use the EPYC SP3 socket, and the WRX80 chipset.

Point. My guess is they're probably moving all the TR chips to the SP3 socket for future proofing then.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah, rumor is that they canned backwards compatibility for the upcoming TR parts with 4 channels, not just the 8 channel parts which were never going to work. Sucks for X399 buyers. Considering Zen 2 SP3 already exists and is physically the same as TR4, it seems strange.

I wonder if some X399 boards used the blank TR4 pins for something, and now AMD doesn't want to release 8 channel parts that someone could accidentally put in the old board and nuke. So instead they just can backwards compatibility down the entire stack to not cause confusion. I.e., the same reason Intel killed backwards compatibility going from Kaby Lake/Z270 to Coffee Lake/Z370.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I just ordered a 3800x to replace my 2700x, as Amazon Canada is currently selling them for the same price as the 3700x. I've given up on getting a 3900x/3950x, and frankly an 8-core will serve my needs just fine.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Guess I'll be budgeting another 400bux to be on the safe side.

--edit:
On the other hand, I just checked for giggles whether there's new BIOSes for my X399 Taichi, and there's one two weeks old, that supposedly only corrects for the memory size of a specific module over the last release, per patch notes, yet the zip file is 400KB larger. Something's afoot.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 27, 2019

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Just installed my 3800x on my msi b450m mortar, everything went smoothly. Worked perfectly 1st try. It seems to be regularly hitting 4500 mhz. Temps are similar, but it seems to get hotter faster than the 2700x, but my cooling handles it fine. Also, fingers crossed, the memory support seems to be better. My gskill 3200 mhz memory was only stable at 3000 with the 2700x. I just turned on XMP and the 3800x seems to be running it at 3200mhz with no problems.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

So ABBA BIOS for my Asus Strix B450-F just came out. I installed it and it ruined my computer. It did make my 3700x reach 4.4Ghz and fix the idle behaviour. But the negatives far far far outweigh the positives.

First it only succeeds booting 1 times out of 3. First time I boot it dies on the windows logo part, then after a reboot it will try to automatically repair Windows, that's when it'll it'll give various bluescreens, I've counted 4 different reasons so far. I'll reboot again and then it'll maybe get to desktop or do of the former again.
Secondly my graphics card crashes all the time and at first I couldn't even use any resolution above the default res.
Third most programs don't work anymore. Some complain about corrupted install like Spotify. Some don't do anything at all like Discord and Steam. Windows Defender doesn't work anymore and thinks it is disabled by admin. Chrome crashes randomly in the first minute of using. And most of its extensions crash right away.
Of course I get bluescreens when it idles too.

I really hope it let's me get far enough to find the old bios and install it back.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 30, 2019

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Updating BIOS clears settings, are you sure your RAM is running at the correct timings? Still defaults should be low and running fine. Windows complaining about corruption sounds like a bad SATA controller, but your RAM could be unstable too so I'd make sure everything looks fine there.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

pixaal posted:

Updating BIOS clears settings, are you sure your RAM is running at the correct timings? Still defaults should be low and running fine. Windows complaining about corruption sounds like a bad SATA controller, but your RAM could be unstable too so I'd make sure everything looks fine there.

Almost 100% betting your RAM timings got reset to something dumb. Reset your bios to defaults and reboot again. Maybe even set them manually.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Sininu posted:

So ABBA BIOS for my Asus Strix B450-F just came out. I installed it and it ruined my computer. It did make my 3700x reach 4.4Ghz and fix the idle behaviour. But the negatives far far far outweigh the positives.

First it only succeeds booting 1 times out of 3. First time I boot it dies on the windows logo part, then after a reboot it will try to automatically repair Windows, that's when it'll it'll give various bluescreens, I've counted 4 different reasons so far. I'll reboot again and then it'll maybe get to desktop or do of the former again.
Secondly my graphics card crashes all the time and at first I couldn't even use any resolution above the default res.
Third most programs don't work anymore. Some complain about corrupted install like Spotify. Some don't do anything at all like Discord and Steam. Windows Defender doesn't work anymore and thinks it is disabled by admin. Chrome crashes randomly in the first minute of using. And most of its extensions crash right away.
Of course I get bluescreens when it idles too.

I really hope it let's me get far enough to find the old bios and install it back.

I had the exact same problem with my ASROCK phantom gaming X570, had to replace the board. I tried everything including reinstalling windows 3 times, not using/using chipset drivers, new RAM. The whole thing has been a disaster

Even then I still ran into a couple of Bluescreens this weekend And FFXIV crashes constantly - but that might be a Navi/Freesync issue as I just upgraded monitors.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

pixaal posted:

I didn't even try to boot into windows before doing that.

I reverted to previous bios and most of the problems are still here. I think somehow Windows broke in extreme way. Going to reinstall.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 30, 2019

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

If the problem was memory errors, it could have chewed up a bunch of Windows files and fubared the install.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy
Bummer. I upgraded my Prime X470 Pro to the ABBA bios last week and it worked without issue, aside from me not mashing <DEL> in time and Windows trying to boot with CBS turned on.

Got those last fifty precious megahertz and finally tried OC'ing my cheap DDR4-3200 Hynix CJR RAM to 3600mhz. I punched in the 'safe' numbers from that tool and booted normally. AIDA shows higher throughput and slightly lower latency (72ns vs 75ns) and my Cinebench scores are up by double digits!

Not much to tweak this gen.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Reinstalled windows after two failed attempts to use the reset feature. Also installed the new BIOS again just to see what is going to happen.
Everything seems to work fine now.
Idle temperatures are around 35-40 degrees now as opposed to 40-55 and 1.3V CPU voltage I applied in bios actually works instead of being stuck at crazy 1.45-1.5 at all times except when under load.

That temperature graph used to look like a saw-tooth pattern before with temps constantly going from 40 to 55 and down to 40 again over few seconds.

Edit: This is excellent, I've been doing my usual non-work, non-game stuff and the CPU doesn't break 50 degrees, I do the fan curves so that fans don't ramp up until 55. Before this bios it meant that they would periodically ramp up but now it's all quietness. Sweet.

Sininu fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Sep 30, 2019

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
This may or may not be related, but Windows 10 doesn't actually shut down your computer when you click shut down. There's a feature called fast start that basically puts your computer into an ultra-low power version of sleep mode and I wonder if this might be responsible for loving things up when doing a bios flash because the memory settings get reset and Windows might actually be storing stuff in the memory in addition to having hibernation data on the boot drive. This may not have any impact on anything, but I wonder if it might be prudent to actually kill power to your computer before doing a bios flash. Windows might be loading corrupted data on the next boot, which then gets saved.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Dramicus posted:

This may or may not be related, but Windows 10 doesn't actually shut down your computer when you click shut down. There's a feature called fast start that basically puts your computer into an ultra-low power version of sleep mode and I wonder if this might be responsible for loving things up when doing a bios flash because the memory settings get reset and Windows might actually be storing stuff in the memory in addition to having hibernation data on the boot drive. This may not have any impact on anything, but I wonder if it might be prudent to actually kill power to your computer before doing a bios flash. Windows might be loading corrupted data on the next boot, which then gets saved.

I had fast startup turned off. :)

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I see, well good to know it wasn't that.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Just build myself a Linux 5.4rc1 kernel.
code:
$ sensors
amdgpu-pci-0a00
Adapter: PCI adapter
vddgfx:       +0.78 V  
fan1:        1134 RPM  (min =    0 RPM, max = 4950 RPM)
edge:         +44.0°C  (crit = +118.0°C, hyst = -273.1°C)
                       (emerg = +99.0°C)
junction:     +44.0°C  (crit = +99.0°C, hyst = -273.1°C)
                       (emerg = +99.0°C)
mem:          +42.0°C  (crit = +99.0°C, hyst = -273.1°C)
                       (emerg = +99.0°C)
power1:        9.00 W  (cap = 150.00 W)
$ lspci | grep VGA
0a:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Navi 10 [Radeon RX 5700 / 5700 XT] (rev c4)
Glory be, the 5700 isn't idling at 30W anymore. Now let's see if I can go more than 24h without a random system lockup.

Edit: this is with Mesa 19.3 from git, and Navi firmware from 13 September

Edit 2: Nope. Still crashy, though less crashy than 5.3 was. Hopefully this will improve as development proceeds.

mdxi fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 1, 2019

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Sounds like Intel lost their loving poo poo and halved their prices on X299 refresh.

Not "cut prices slightly". Not "ignored AMD like they've done since forever". Halved. They just loving freaked the poo poo out.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Sounds like Intel lost their loving poo poo and halved their prices on X299 refresh.

Not "cut prices slightly". Not "ignored AMD like they've done since forever". Halved. They just loving freaked the poo poo out.

lmao at their "2x Perf/$" thing. they are now just barely competitive.

x299 is a failed platform and the max cores on it is 18, so it can't even deal with 4+ chiplet threadripper that's gonna come out within a quarter or two.

z390 can't deal with high power reqs for more cores

Intel is super hosed on desktop and server (EPYC is just better value and perf/watt) and they know it

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

How do I know if I've got the good Ryzen 3 scheduling poo poo in Windows 10?

I just looked at my power options and my plan is apparently "Ultimate Performance", which sounds very cool but may not be optimal.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Just leave it at balanced and forget about AMDs aggressive stepping on the gas/brake every 10 nanoseconds or whatever they do.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Windows Balanced not Ryzen Balanced

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

What's the difference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Mu Zeta posted:

I thought Windows Balanced was the profile to choose for Zen+, not Zen 2.