Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

I'm still pretty excited for Deluxe Cliffjumper. It's past time we stopped thinking of the minibots as tiny little guys and started thinking of them as smallish Deluxes. Classics Bumblebee/Cliffjumper and Generations Warpath are good.

Classics Bumblebee is still the Bumblebee in my collection. While I wish he was a VW Beetle, I'm fine with him as a small, sporty yellow hatchback, kinda like a Honda Fit. He's a shorter Deluxe, and his head sculpt is perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

porsche is owned by VW now so there's a better chance of them giving out the license

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

porsche is owned by VW now so there's a better chance of them giving out the license

No, there isn't. VW has no say in any way whatsoever over what Porsche does with its licensing. They've owned Porsche since 2012 and nothing has changed, and nothing will change. VW's objection was simply that they weren't comfortable with "war toys," something they apparently got past once they saw GM and other car manufacturers gaining mindshare and licensing cash from appearing in the Bay movies, without any backlash about being associated with violent, ugly, misogynistic films. Porsche's problem isn't just the war toy angle but that Transformers as a brand does not reflect what Porsche wants their brand to be seen as or associated with, which is luxury, high class pastimes, and performance living. It would take a massive, massive shift in leadership at Porsche to change their mind on the issue, to the point that there's no reason to think it will ever happen.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So that's why we must make do with Downbeat.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Did any 3P ever step in for an MP Jazz?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Yeah but they have stupid names and questionable design decisions that will never truly satisfy you

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I think they could pretty easily get away with doing a toon-accurate Cliffjumper, or a lot of the other minibots, without a licensed alt-mode. I mean, who's going to say this is a Porsche 924?

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular
Speaking of MP minibots, does anyone have XTB Arkose? Looks nice but reviews seem to be mixed, and I have a soft spot for Beachcomber.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

i didnt even realise cliffjumper was meant to be a porsche at all, i thought he was just red bumblebee for the longest time. if the MP line is going for show accuracy, then gently caress to porsche, just make cliffjumper be a boxier version of bumblebee.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
ACE Tumbler is lovely, I'll be content to wait for the FT.

Paid for Siege Omega just now but I'm heading out of town Saturday so even if I shipped my stash I wont be here to receive my toys.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Sadly Silverbolt (Magnaboss) has succumbed to a mild case of Gold Plastic Syndrome. I'm supergluing him into Magnaboss mode and that will be that.

GD_American posted:

Did any 3P ever step in for an MP Jazz?

Downbeat is as good as it gets. Many wonder why Fanstoys hasn't stepped in on that one. Maybe one day.

usenet celeb 1992 posted:

Speaking of MP minibots, does anyone have XTB Arkose? Looks nice but reviews seem to be mixed, and I have a soft spot for Beachcomber.

I do, and he's fine. Fiddly backpack/buggy roof but a decent MP Beachcomber. Given the shortcomings and the price of Arkose last I looked, I'd just wait for the Fanstoys version. I do love that Arkose comes with birds, though.

Knormal posted:

I think they could pretty easily get away with doing a toon-accurate Cliffjumper, or a lot of the other minibots, without a licensed alt-mode. I mean, who's going to say this is a Porsche 924?

They could do that, yeah. It would mark a major shift in the MP cars' treatment in the line, but if the new Bumblebee sells well I could see them going the Choro-Q route. All the same, though, it also wouldn't surprise me if they decided to just stay the hell away from the Porsche characters just to be safe. Tons of other characters to do that you're not going to get sued and/or C&D'd over.

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Keldroc posted:

I do, and he's fine. Fiddly backpack/buggy roof but a decent MP Beachcomber. Given the shortcomings and the price of Arkose last I looked, I'd just wait for the Fanstoys version. I do love that Arkose comes with birds, though.

Thanks -- "fine" sounds good enough for me, especially as I really prefer the look of the vehicle mode over FT's version by far.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Keldroc posted:

They could do that, yeah. It would mark a major shift in the MP cars' treatment in the line, but if the new Bumblebee sells well I could see them going the Choro-Q route. All the same, though, it also wouldn't surprise me if they decided to just stay the hell away from the Porsche characters just to be safe. Tons of other characters to do that you're not going to get sued and/or C&D'd over.
that is mildly hilarious to me, realizing that they'd have to worry about C&D orders when the Third Party companies are the ones who, in any other toyline, would be courting those with any release.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Thanks -- "fine" sounds good enough for me, especially as I really prefer the look of the vehicle mode over FT's version by far.

If you look around you can find methods of gluing parts of the buggy roof frame together in places that aren't needed for transformation. It's a good figure, the roof is just too fragile for its own good. He looks great with the rest of the squad, I'm glad I got him.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Keldroc posted:

Downbeat is as good as it gets.

Please note that "as good as it gets" looks like this from the back of car mode.

(real talk he does look phenomenal in bot mode)

Your other options are Zeta Jazzy, who is extremely difficult to get all the way into car mode at all, Transform and Roll Out Hova, who is quite primitive as far as 3PMPs go, and Generation Toy J4ZZ, who isn't G1. So yeah Downbeat honestly is as good as it gets, I just have brain problems about that bumper.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Phy posted:

I just have brain problems about that bumper.
To be fair, that bumper looks it has brain problems

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
I have MT Downbeat and XTB Arkose.

Downbeat is massively handsome in bot mode with a toyhax sticker. Feels REALLY nice in hand; diecast is used well and gives him a heft that makes him feel “worth it,” which is probably purely psychological but this is a hobby about recreating nostalgia so it works.

I like his alt-mode a lot. His spoiler is a bit on the cartoonishly large side but idgaf, he looks good. Honestly I noticed the weird bumper one time and then never looked again; also I think I have a toyhax something or other for it but I can’t be bothered. Transformation is a mixed bag; the top is easy, his legs are a bit of a mess the first time but easier after that. Poses great. Lots of accessories if you like that sort of thing.

XTB Arkose is good. The buggy cage is fiddly and weird but I never felt truly frustrated with it like I did with, say, BadCube Grump or Fanstoys Koot (JFC!). It did take me a while though. I won’t be upgrading him anytime soon and his birds are a nice touch.

XTB Klaatu is some hot poo poo though y’all.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

the bumper looks like it should slide up or fold in on itself to come into line with the rest of the trim but it just... doesn't? it's extremely weird.

bonus loudpedal:

i was kind of mixed on him initially, he was my first official MP in this scale, so he seemed kinda small and his shoulder tires kept bumping into the wings and popping his backpack off initially, but since having more time with him and figuring out the shoulder articulation better, i really like him. he's very expressive and has great style.

it's a good job the rest of the DJD is out of stock everywhere or Loudpedal might be in trouble

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Sep 27, 2019

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Honestly you have a lot to look forward to because the MP Tracks mold is one of the worst in the line. I'd put Rodimus, Hot Rod, and the original Megatron below it but that's about it.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Keldroc posted:

Honestly you have a lot to look forward to because the MP Tracks mold is one of the worst in the line. I'd put Rodimus, Hot Rod, and the original Megatron below it but that's about it.

there's some good looking molds, i just dont have much attachment to the autobot car guys. i've already got MP-01 prime, and the coneheads all have QC issues apparently. i'll probably grab exhaust at some point cause i like decepticon cars, and a friend is giving me grimlock (he was a gift from her ex and reminds her too much of him).

i would like a prime in modern MP scale, but its low on the list. theres a lot of other bots i like that i don't have any representation of.

edit: although having said that, i do have a lot of attachment to Gold Bug. if there's a show accurate recolour of MP bumblebee as gold bug i would like that. hasbro sent me the original goldbug as a free gift with grimlock after my G1 Onslaught kept breaking.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You absolutely are going to want MP Shockwave, he's basically perfect. We may have had this conversation already but it bears repeating, MP Shockwave is so gently caress to fiddle with, transformation is a joy both ways, and he just looks fantastic in basically any pose

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

there's some good looking molds, i just dont have much attachment to the autobot car guys. i've already got MP-01 prime, and the coneheads all have QC issues apparently. i'll probably grab exhaust at some point cause i like decepticon cars, and a friend is giving me grimlock (he was a gift from her ex and reminds her too much of him).

My coneheads are all fine except for some slightly loose hip joints on Thrust, but it's hard to recommend anyone start getting into the MP-11 Seeker mold when Maketoys has their stuff out there and a Takara 3.0 seems to be on deck.

There is a gold repaint of the first MP Bumblebee but the face makes it more of an homage to the original G1 toy than Goldbug.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

You absolutely are going to want MP Shockwave, he's basically perfect. We may have had this conversation already but it bears repeating, MP Shockwave is so gently caress to fiddle with, transformation is a joy both ways, and he just looks fantastic in basically any pose

i sadly ordered cloud 9 quakeblast off ebay for £60 while i was in a deep well of fever in bed. i need to log off of ebay on my phone, i thought buying it was just a weird dream i had until i checked my email later in the day.

MP shockwave looks great, i'm not a huge fan of the colour scheme though, i would prefer a darker/redder purple.

Keldroc posted:

My coneheads are all fine except for some slightly loose hip joints on Thrust, but it's hard to recommend anyone start getting into the MP-11 Seeker mold when Maketoys has their stuff out there and a Takara 3.0 seems to be on deck.

There is a gold repaint of the first MP Bumblebee but the face makes it more of an homage to the original G1 toy than Goldbug.

the maketoys coneheads look very nice. I always have trouble figuring out which conehead I like best. Thrust has the best colours and the cool extra vtol engine things, Ramjet gets the best moments (going back and time and headbutting a knight, flying into stuff), and Dirge is great in the IDW comics.

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Sep 27, 2019

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

the maketoys coneheads look very nice. I always have trouble figuring out which conehead I like best. Thrust has the best colours and the cool extra vtol engine things, Ramjet gets the best moments (going back and time and headbutting a knight, flying into stuff), and Dirge is great in the IDW comics.

I always liked Thrust best because of the unique VTOL engines and the color scheme. The other two were too similar to each other.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Keldroc posted:

I always liked Thrust best because of the unique VTOL engines and the color scheme. The other two were too similar to each other.

for a little while i was looking at the Toyworld coneheads, and thrust was the one who was hardest to find anywhere, so I think he must be the most popular with everyone (understandably). i hope when the maketoys one comes out he doesn't sell out instantly. maketoys did a really nice gigantic scorponok, but he's just too pricey for me to justify at the moment. I am considering their Striker Noir to be my nemesis prime/scourge representative eventually.

i've been looking back at the covers of the old marvel comic, cause there are some totally badass ones:

(some day i'll have mp scale versions of all these guys)

out of curiosity I looked up the issues with cover dates in the month i was born (july 89), and they have basically my four favourite G1 guys on the covers: Galvatron, Shockwave, Megatron and Bludgeon:

which is a fun coincidence

edit: speak of the one eyed devil, my fever-purchase arrived!

Doing his best 'TRANSFORMERS are all dead' pose

juggalo baby coffin fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Sep 27, 2019

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Striker Noir is awesome. Here is an older lovely picture I took a ways back:

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

i sadly ordered cloud 9 quakeblast off ebay for £60 while i was in a deep well of fever in bed. i need to log off of ebay on my phone, i thought buying it was just a weird dream i had until i checked my email later in the day.

MP shockwave looks great, i'm not a huge fan of the colour scheme though, i would prefer a darker/redder purple.

FWIW, there is an MP Shockwave in a darker purple, MP-29+. Of course he was only announced a year or so after everyone (ie me) had already bought the lavender version.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy poo poo, this boy is HUUGE

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Bloody hell. :stwoon:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So he scales with WJ's MPP10, EM Prime and Black Mamba's OS MPM Prime. $66. I think I'm buying this.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
YESSSSSS OVERSIZE IS LYFE

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

That OSKO Optimus is pretty beefy. I've never bought off sirtoys before, ifsomething is sold "without packaging" does that mean it comes loose in a box full of packing peanuts?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

Holy poo poo, this boy is HUUGE

Oh, he's a stout lad, too

built like an oaken staff

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

That OSKO Optimus is pretty beefy. I've never bought off sirtoys before, ifsomething is sold "without packaging" does that mean it comes loose in a box full of packing peanuts?

No, it'll be in a zip lock bag with a thin layer of foam around it. Honestly I'd buy it from ShowZ. You get the box and better padding. $75 at ST and $66 at SZ.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Keldroc posted:

If you look around you can find methods of gluing parts of the buggy roof frame together in places that aren't needed for transformation. It's a good figure, the roof is just too fragile for its own good. He looks great with the rest of the squad, I'm glad I got him.

Is that the original or the 2.0 revision? I've got the 2.0 revision in my Pile of Loot right now, all the reviews I've seen seem to be for the original toy.

Keldroc posted:

Whoa there. I think MP Hot Rod is very good. He's not near the bottom of that list at all! Better than Tracks and probably Wheeljack and Grimlock at any rate.

\/\/\/ Can't be mad about that!

CAPT. Rainbowbeard fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Sep 28, 2019

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
MP Hot Rod is especially good if you bought the $32 KO.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Yeah MP Hot Rod is killer.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Selects Star Convoy pics are trickling out and I feel pretty good about not ordering that one. Phew.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Rhyno posted:

No, it'll be in a zip lock bag with a thin layer of foam around it. Honestly I'd buy it from ShowZ. You get the box and better padding. $75 at ST and $66 at SZ.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Rhyno posted:

Selects Star Convoy pics are trickling out and I feel pretty good about not ordering that one. Phew.

What's wrong with him? I missed the pre-order because I wasn't paying attention and was kinda mad about that. Did I dodge a bullet?