Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If you're playing Dragon Quest XI and wondering about difficulty modifiers. To begin with, choose all that you think sound fun and turn them off if you don't like them.

You can easily turn them off but you can't re-enable them or choose to turn them on for the first time after you start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Honestly, none of them are very fun so dont feel bad for skipping them.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
I played the Demo with Strong Monsters and Less XP from weaker monsters and it felt great. It was slow at the start, and The King's Barrow boss was a bit dicey but other then that I actually really liked having to use things like Herbs and Defending against telegraphed attacks.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'd consider no EXP from weak monsters to be essential personally until the "post game", being level appropriate for where you are in the game at all times keeps a good level of challenge where the game isn't mash A to win but it's not hard. It's a little easy to over level without that option on.

Stronger monsters is good if you want that challenge. The rest are gimmicky in all ways.

You definitely shouldn't feel bad for skipping any of them, I meant that purely as a "you're making a permanent game changing choice in the very first minute of a 100 hour game" thing.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Sep 27, 2019

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Is 2D mode in Dragon Quest supposed to be harder than 3D? It certainly feels like it

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I've only played in 2D at the first piece of switch exclusive content and it feels like the random encounter rate in that area is very high, especially considering you can dodge enemies in 3D super easy

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

hatty posted:

Is 2D mode in Dragon Quest supposed to be harder than 3D? It certainly feels like it

It may be in part due to the fact that you don't get to whack enemies on the map for free damage but I actually had to press the heal button in the general vicinity of Heliodor once so it may be a little harder.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

How is the 2D experience for those who have tried the 3D version? What’s different and do you feel like you’re missing something?

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I played through the ps4 version last year and am doing a 2d playthrough now and I would say unless you really want the most old school feeling possible to play through in 3d on your first playthrough, the reason being that aside from parts that are prerendered movie files (like the very first cutscene) the game does not switch to 3d for the cutscene so you will miss a lot of the flair and delivery. The voice acting also does not play in 2d mode if you care about that. It's designed to feel like a SNES-era DQ game in presentation. The environments are naturally easier to explore and navigate, but obviously lack some of the spectacle.

I think I prefer 2D for just playing the game (the style appeals to me a lot), but if you want to experience the story the "definitive" way play through in 3D first.

Interestingly, it's not just a toggle, so when you switch at a church the game has you save a file for the opposite mode, and then you pick back up from a checkpoint in the story, but keeping all your levels and resources (except for plot items). This is also interesting because if I understand how it works correctly you could effectively new game+ this way at any point (or even just jump back a little bit if that's what you want).

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the no voice acting is a big bummer, i wish there was at least a toggle

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!
I actually turned off the voices when I played through on PS4 because in my world it just isn't Dragon Quest without the blip boops. No regrets.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i can definitely respect that but i love the voice direction that goes along with all the puns and the over-the-top accents, it really enhances the hammy tone the DQ games go for

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Currently going through my library trying to use the snes controller. Downwell feels made for it

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Josuke Higashikata posted:

If you're playing Dragon Quest XI and wondering about difficulty modifiers. To begin with, choose all that you think sound fun and turn them off if you don't like them.

You can easily turn them off but you can't re-enable them or choose to turn them on for the first time after you start

Ok this kinda sucks because in the beginning the game tells you "hey check out this hardcore challenge mode stuff, but dont worry you can turn them off at churches" which to me implies that you can toggle them on/off whenever(kinda like how in Xenoblade2 you could change the difficulty on the fly) so I only picked the no exp from lower level enemies to get a feel on the game's difficulty before turning others on. Then I get to the church and find out you can only turn off.

The beginning message should say "you can *permanently* turn them off" to be more precise. Fortunately I only have 40 minutes of gameplay to lose.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I bought dq11 on ps4 but sold it in anticipation for the switch version and im happy this day has come.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Ugh, too many good games.

I'm thinking of picking up X/X2 for 30 euro thanks to a 40% sale. There's 0% chance I'm playing it anytime soon with Dark Souls, Celeste Ch 9, Katamari Damacy, Links Awakening, and RE4 on my docket, let alone Rain World and Road Redemption, which I think I'm just going to have to leave by the wayside.

I just think that 30 euro is a pretty good deal for two games. Also, I wonder how often it'll go on sale.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Just finished Bayonetta 2. drat that was fun I can't believe It's been ten years since I played the first. Also the Samus costume is super rad, gave me some Other M vibes for a sec. So speaking of Platinum Games, now that the initial hype has worn off what's the general consensus on Astral Chain? If I liked MGR and Bayonetta would I enjoy it? It doesn't quite jump at me but it's either that or Fire Emblem and I'm not sure I'd like Fire Emblem that much.

Going to grab MK8 next week for some coop online with my brother but I need something more long lasting. Kind of going through a game drought. Maybe I should go back to my DS and check out Etrian Odyssey 2 since I liked the first one ten or so years ago.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
So, which SNES game pad is the new one people are so pleased with?

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
Are Bastion and Transistor worth it at like 3 bucks each?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Social Animal posted:

Those original deathmatch colors takes me back hard. Man I'd totally bite on the ports just for that if Doom Eternal had an actual deathmatch mode.

Wait, Doom Eternal isn't going to have a deathmatch mode?

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames

Social Animal posted:

Just finished Bayonetta 2. drat that was fun I can't believe It's been ten years since I played the first. Also the Samus costume is super rad, gave me some Other M vibes for a sec. So speaking of Platinum Games, now that the initial hype has worn off what's the general consensus on Astral Chain? If I liked MGR and Bayonetta would I enjoy it? It doesn't quite jump at me but it's either that or Fire Emblem and I'm not sure I'd like Fire Emblem that much.

Going to grab MK8 next week for some coop online with my brother but I need something more long lasting. Kind of going through a game drought. Maybe I should go back to my DS and check out Etrian Odyssey 2 since I liked the first one ten or so years ago.

i started Astral Chain yesterday and I love it. it takes a couple of missions to really get going though imo

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Imhotep posted:

Absolutely.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Imhotep posted:

Oh yeah for sure man.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Wait, Doom Eternal isn't going to have a deathmatch mode?

Nah it's going to be a 3 player mode where someone is the doom slayer and the other two are demons trying to kill him or something like that. Sucks :(

Live Free posted:

i started Astral Chain yesterday and I love it. it takes a couple of missions to really get going though imo

How's the combat though? I heard it's kind of simplistic?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Social Animal posted:

Nah it's going to be a 3 player mode where someone is the doom slayer and the other two are demons trying to kill him or something like that. Sucks :(

Ok, this doesn't sound terrible to me (yet). It reminds me of Perfect Dark's Counter-Op mode, as well as L4D.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
my SNES controller still hasn't come, UPS tracking still says end of day 9/24 and that it was handed off to the USPS several states away, but USPS tracking only shows "tracking number created" :mad:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Social Animal posted:

I wouldn't say it's more simplistic than other Plat games, just different. Instead of lots of combos and weapons there are a lot of systems to juggle. It's great when it gets going.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Social Animal posted:

I’m about halfway through and it’s pretty complex imo but easy enough if you just want to progress through the story with bad grades. There’s a lot happening on screen which takes some time to adjust to.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Social Animal posted:

Your player character has fewer combos than say Bayonetta, but this is deliberate to compensate for how much complication the Legions add in. There's plenty of complexity there when you make use of what all of them can do in conjunction with your own moves.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Social Animal posted:

You don't even get the combat system until the beginning of the third mission. And you get exponentially more options every single mission after that for awhile. And yeah, you can coast if you want to just complete a mission. If you want to effortlessly style beast with a million moves? You have the options.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Yeah the missions grading is based on either beating it really, really fast OR doing sick nasty combos with all your legions while using all available abilities.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Thanks for the input everyone. This is looking like my next solo game I think.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
What's the hive mind opinion on Mutant Year Zero? I want to give it a go but it seems a bit expensive for what it is. Seems people are complaining it's short as well.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

rotaryfun posted:

What's the hive mind opinion on Mutant Year Zero? I want to give it a go but it seems a bit expensive for what it is. Seems people are complaining it's short as well.

I've never played it but from the way I've seen people post about it the Switch port looks like poo poo and runs like poo poo. Like unplayable.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I keep forgetting that I have MM2. How do I make that game click? I wasn't that moved by all the gimmick levels that I found online.
Use the search function to choose the difficulty level you like best, and then just sort by all-time popularity.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

lol 10 bux posted:

I've read several sites claiming Nintendo will fix drifting joycons for free even out of warranty. Anyone know if this is true?

It's true and easy to arrange on Nintendo's website. I got mine repaired and from dropping them at UPS and receiving them, nearly five weeks elapsed.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1177569773804146689

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

rotaryfun posted:

I really wanted to like it, but the game renders at like 360p even in docked mode. It's a really interesting premise and the gameplay is great, and I was still enjoying it until a couple of hours in when it started crashing every time I tried to play it.

Get it on pc. The switch, God forgive me for saying so, is not the best platform for every game

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That design hurts my head to look at.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

RandomFerret posted:

Get it on pc. The switch, God forgive me for saying so, is not the best platform for every game

:aaaaa:

Thanks. That sucks. Ah well. Do you happen to know of other xcom style games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

rotaryfun posted:

:aaaaa:

Thanks. That sucks. Ah well. Do you happen to know of other xcom style games?

Uh, buddy, Mario Rabbids is the best Xcom on any system