Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Cheap Trick posted:

Or rhyming slang for "dyke"?

I wasn’t aware that Aussies did rhyming slang. I thought it was more of a British thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ecavalli posted:

I wasn’t aware that Aussies did rhyming slang. I thought it was more of a British thing.

Yeah, Australians have done some evil things, but let's not go overboard.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

ecavalli posted:

We do. Some of it is taken directly from the Brits but some (eg Barry = Barry Crocker = shocker, Harold Holt = bolt, seppo = septic tank = yank ie an American) is our own.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I imagine some of this stuff was also euphemism to get around the CCA rules about swears, though maybe not frail in specific. A body starts to notice the more distinctive Claremontisms.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

bessantj posted:

So question, what's everyone's favourite character with the word "dragon" in their name?

:captainpop:

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

are there any good sites where I could easily find a list of what a publisher put out during a certain month/year? for example, if I wanted a list of every comic DC put out in October of 84

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Parallax posted:

are there any good sites where I could easily find a list of what a publisher put out during a certain month/year? for example, if I wanted a list of every comic DC put out in October of 84

GCD: http://www.comics.org

Here's October DC Comics '84

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Quick note, that link is searching by cover dates, if you click through on any of the given issues you'll see they mostly actually came out in June or July of 1984. You can switch to on-sale date in the advanced search options though to get books on sale in October

I kind of like dcindexes.com for this sort of thing, it's easier to sort of "browse" with their newsstand feature.

Here's their On Sale in October 1984 page.

Sometimes there are contradictory on-sale dates floating around for stuff in the pre-direct market era, mostly because things hit different distributors on different weeks sometimes. There are official release schedules from Marvel/DC/etc. floating around in old fanzines/promotional magazines going back to the mid-1970s, but those don't reflect delays either. There aren't always exact established dates/weeks for comics that can be pieced together with 100% certainty prior to the late 80s/early 90s, where at least you had comic shops posting their shipping lists to Usenet, plus the earliest days of people posting New Comics Day reviews so you can put a timestamp on the exact week everyone got pissed off about [insert comic here] and posted about it on the Internet.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 28, 2019

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Can somebody sell me on Moondragon? I've up to Infinity Gauntlet in my Quasar run and she's becoming a larger supporting character in that.

Is she more than just repeating plotthreads of Steve Englehart's Mantis with less clothing or are there some cool depths or hooks that haven't shown up yet.
I know later she ends up being a prominent lesbian character.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Can somebody sell me on Moondragon? I've up to Infinity Gauntlet in my Quasar run and she's becoming a larger supporting character in that.

Is she more than just repeating plotthreads of Steve Englehart's Mantis with less clothing or are there some cool depths or hooks that haven't shown up yet.
I know later she ends up being a prominent lesbian character.

She's garbage. Even when they make her a lesbian character all she and Phyla-vell do is be assholes to everyone and get caught in confusing meta-cosmic drama.

I mean this one time she brain blasted Quicksilver and it cured him of his racism towards Vision, which was a pretty hilarious way to wrap up that subplot.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 28, 2019

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

As someone who has repeatedly claimed that there's a kernel of a great character in practically every Avenger from the 1960s-1990s if you tell their story right, I can't really mount a good defense for Moondragon.

Tigra, Starfox, Hellcat, Monica Rambeau, Black Knight, Stingray, Doctor Druid, Firebird, D-Man, USAgent, Sersi, Quasar, Rage, Fabian Stankowicz, Triathlon? Sure. Moondragon is a puzzler.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i had to make sure you weren't loving with me and looked up Fabian Stankowicz.

It's Stankiewicz, and now i can only imagine they named him by feeding everyone at Marvel Creative's names into a combiner and it picked Stan Lee, Fabian Nicieza and Bill Sienkiewicz

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Edge & Christian posted:

As someone who has repeatedly claimed that there's a kernel of a great character in practically every Avenger from the 1960s-1990s if you tell their story right, I can't really mount a good defense for Moondragon.

Tigra, Starfox, Hellcat, Monica Rambeau, Black Knight, Stingray, Doctor Druid, Firebird, D-Man, USAgent, Sersi, Quasar, Rage, Fabian Stankowicz, Triathlon? Sure. Moondragon is a puzzler.

There's potential for Moondragon, sure, but it all kind of falls apart when you remember that when she first appeared she was calling herself Madame MacEvil and working as a crime boss before she decided that actually the Avengers were pretty cool and mind-controlled them all into going into space with her so she could decide which one was worthy for her to bang.

I genuinely suspect that part of the semi-traditional antipathy - respect but not always trust - between the X-Men and the Avengers stems from the fact that the X-Men have shittons of telepaths but the Avengers have had very few telepaths and both of them - Moondragon and Doctor Druid - have a documented history of "mind-control the whole team"

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

I kind of like dcindexes.com for this sort of thing, it's easier to sort of "browse" with their newsstand feature.

Here's their On Sale in October 1984 page.

these both work, thanks

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

There's potential for Moondragon, sure, but it all kind of falls apart when you remember that when she first appeared she was calling herself Madame MacEvil and working as a crime boss before she decided that actually the Avengers were pretty cool and mind-controlled them all into going into space with her so she could decide which one was worthy for her to bang.

I genuinely suspect that part of the semi-traditional antipathy - respect but not always trust - between the X-Men and the Avengers stems from the fact that the X-Men have shittons of telepaths but the Avengers have had very few telepaths and both of them - Moondragon and Doctor Druid - have a documented history of "mind-control the whole team"
I suppose all of the characters I listed above (and all characters in general) have a sort of selective memory/polite ignorance of some of their appearances that you'd have to carve through to make them a compelling and coherent character for the 21st century, but Moondragon's weird continuity accretion is:

- Daughter of Drax the Destroyer who was orphaned by Thanos doing weirdly not-modern-Thanos-y things
- Raised in a monastary by Thanos's dad on a moon of Saturn
- Possessed by a bootleg Phoenix Force that was a Dragon
- Came back to Earth as "Madame MacEvil" and created a bunch of supervillains to be a crime boss test the Avengers fight Thanos
- Auditioned to be the Celestial Madonna but lost to loving Mantis
- Went into space to train Hellcat to be a space monk ninja
- Decided to take over an entire planet with mind control
- Got forgiven for that but was put on a short leash and given a power dampening collar
- Got possessed by the Dragon Force again and killed a bunch of people but then killed herself (and all of the other non-marketable Defenders) to kill the Dragon Force
[disappears for like five years]
- Came back to life by manipulating her cousin to make her a clone body
- Tried and failed to hook up with Quasar
- Joined Adam Warlock's Infinity Watch and was somehow seen as a less trustworthy member than Thanos, lost her gem to someone from the Ultraverse
- Mind controlled Rick Jones's wife into leaving him for her while Rick was off in the Negative Zone bodyswapping with Mar-Vell's son, broke up with Marlo and immediately rebounded with Mar-Vell's daughter.
- Shows up in Annihilation, turns into the Dragon again, gets killed
- Comes back from the dead, finds out her girlfriend died too, resurrects her girlfriend, they both die again
- Then I guess alternate reality versions of both Moondragon and Phyla-Vell show up in Infinity Wars and cross over into the mainline Marvel Universe and also just sort of do some stuff?

There's really not a lot to grab hold on as a hook, there are like a dozen "person with cosmic powers and uncertain alliances and a mysterious backstory" characters that are more popular and better established. All of the other characters at least have a vaguely unique hook and one or more stories you can sort of focus on.

Which is all the more the shame since she's (as best as I can tell) the first openly gay member of the Avengers -- both in terms of the earliest person to join the team (in the 1970s) and to come out (in the early 2000s)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I would say it seems like there could be an interesting dynamic between moondragon and gamora but tbh all of that post sounds awful

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

The most interesting thing about Moondragon is that she's a shithead. Unfortunately she's usually not an interesting shithead.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

when her dumb costume is one of the least awful aspects of her character.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I could swear that Moondragon tried to brain-blast Doctor Strange in one of the comics where Thanos was making all those clones, and Doc won the fight. :smuggo:

Doc also made Mantis look very silly once, so maybe he has special abilities against potential Celestial Madonnae. (I figure Mantis must have been arrogant on a cosmic level for it to make any sense at all, since she's supposed to be a top-notch kung-fuer.)

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I haven't read much of Mantis, but from the way she is talked about her film version sounds a lot better than her comic version.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

bessantj posted:

I haven't read much of Mantis, but from the way she is talked about her film version sounds a lot better than her comic version.

I've only read the Dan Abnett version and while she wasn't really prominent character she was still way better than the film version. Which is not a high bar to clear by the way.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 29, 2019

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Alhazred posted:

I've only read the Dan Abnett version and while she wasn't really prominent character she was still way better than the film version. Which is not a high bar to clear by they way.

Oh, cool. Something to look forward to then. Thanks.

Has Apocalypse ever gotten the infinity stones?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mantis used to be a horrible character and the only good thing about her was her association with Swordsman. Abnett basically just changed everything about her, including her appearance, other than the name and the basic power set.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

bessantj posted:

Has Apocalypse ever gotten the infinity stones?

Nah. Even though he's sort of "the Thanos of the X-Men corner of Marvel," Apocalypse has never dipped his toe in anything Infinity Stone related.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Has Apocalypse ever really interacted with the non-mutant side of the Marvel universe? It seems like Magneto’s generally the only X-men foe who also gets to cross paths with the Avengers and the rest...

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Does Apocalypse even have ambitions beyond Earth and humanity? The Gauntlet's power seems like overkill for most villains.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If ever Apocalypse's weird confusing grand design for humanity and the mutant race were to come to fruition, he'd probably set his sights beyond earth and try to instill that same grand order across worlds. He is like a weird Celestial wannabe, after all.

Other heroes have interacted with Apocalypse, but it's almost always within the context of an X-men story, because Apocalypse is so focused on Mutant Stuff.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Angry Salami posted:

Has Apocalypse ever really interacted with the non-mutant side of the Marvel universe? It seems like Magneto’s generally the only X-men foe who also gets to cross paths with the Avengers and the rest...

The Hickman SHIELD origin comic showed him as one of humanity's allies centuries ago against an alien invasion, but it was more of a background cameo.

There was also a story taking place centuries ago where Thor and Loki took on Apocalypse.

He was also the big villain in Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter if that counts. Not that it really had much in terms of a story.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

He fought the High Evolutionary during the Evolutionary War, but that was still in an X book.

He turned Hulk into one of his Horseman one time.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Was it in a recent HoX/PoX issue where it's said that Apocalypse is trying to prepare Earth against an alien invasion?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Horseman Hulk was good stuff. Adam Kubert drew the best Hulk.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

What's a good, fair site to get an idea of price for comics? I want to start clearing stuff out, for example, my Black Hammer run. I just looked up on another site and #1 was going for like $30 if it was an 8.0 quality, but I have no idea how to grade stuff. (They're all read once and then stuck in a bag/board, I'm not paying to grade this poo poo.)

For now I just listed my stuff in a Google Doc, and then I'm using a pivot table for the collections (and it's how I'm selling a different collection). I just want to get the prices together and then give the link on Craigslist to see who wants to take this stuff off my hands as I'm putting them up. This is my current mockup list that I'm planning on building up.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Uthor posted:

Was it in a recent HoX/PoX issue where it's said that Apocalypse is trying to prepare Earth against an alien invasion?

Maybe that was in Hickman’s page in Marvel #1,000. It was all about Apocalypse reviving the first horsemen.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism

Angry Salami posted:

An alt reality Apocalypse showed up in the Bendis Avengers arc where Noh-Varr joins the team but didn't stick around for long.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

IUG posted:

What's a good, fair site to get an idea of price for comics? I want to start clearing stuff out, for example, my Black Hammer run. I just looked up on another site and #1 was going for like $30 if it was an 8.0 quality, but I have no idea how to grade stuff. (They're all read once and then stuck in a bag/board, I'm not paying to grade this poo poo.)

For now I just listed my stuff in a Google Doc, and then I'm using a pivot table for the collections (and it's how I'm selling a different collection). I just want to get the prices together and then give the link on Craigslist to see who wants to take this stuff off my hands as I'm putting them up. This is my current mockup list that I'm planning on building up.

Sold prices on eBay. GoCollect has sale prices by grade, though you’d have to cut those based on not slabbing the books.

I’m doing something similar right now. I’m probably going to end up slabbing a handful of books based on probable grade.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

How long did Age of Apocalypse take over X-Men titles for?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bessantj posted:

How long did Age of Apocalypse take over X-Men titles for?

4 months.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

a long rear end time for it to end with 'bombs fall, everyone dies'

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Rhyno posted:

4 months.

That doesn't seem too long for a crossover. What is the longest crossover from the big 2? Civil War seemed huge taking over everything for a good while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
It's gotta be Crisis on Infinite Earths, doesn't it? That was published monthly, at 12 issues; Wikipedia says it "was first serialized as a 12-issue limited series from April 1985 to March 1986."