Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

sigher posted:

Probably a dumb question, but has anyone reported on if the Quest+Cable will be able to run Steam poo poo natively?

Oculus rep on Reddit says Unknown Sources are allowed. So it should work as well as the Rift does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Sweet, time to buy the Quest then and ditch the Rift S.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Did anyone watch John Carmack's day 2 keynote talk? He confirmed that the Oculus Quest OLED panels CAN do 90 Hz and he WANTED to do 90 Hz remote rendering, but he was told that the Quest is not FCC certified to run at 90 Hz so he can't do it. Just lol.

Also, he said that with Qualcomm's help (and probably even without their help), they could probably make the Quest have even LESS motion to photon latency than the Rift S because of the nature of OLED vs LCD panels. It would take a lot of work, but he said it would be possible and it is something he wants to do.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Carmacks a tech wizard I swear.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

He's also a weirdo libertarian so you should probably roll your eyes any time he mentions the FCC

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

homeless snail posted:

He's also a weirdo libertarian so you should probably roll your eyes any time he mentions the FCC

I did this and now I have a detached retina

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Owlbear Camus posted:

Surely there's no magical alchemy in the Rift CV1 cable that some enterprising cable company can't make a third party replacement?

Also stoked about MoH; I was wondering why there weren't any notable WWII shootmans for VR as popular as that conflict is for such things. And more AAA experiences and expanded support and features should help quell the occasional doomsaying.

Basically, alchemy yah. Plus, low-volume consumer electronics are typically prohibitively expensive if only from opportunity cost for the manufacturer.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RandomBlue posted:

Also it uses fibre optic to maintain high transfer rates and low latency over that distance. Plus from what I understand it'll come with something to attach it to the headset nicely so I'm planning on holding off until I can order one.

Honestly I'm a bit so-so on them using a fibre optic cable. It's clever on paper, but not really a good idea for a headset because there's a hard limit on the angle of refraction you can have before light decides it has better places to be outside of the cable. And anyone who's used a roomscale setup long enough can tell you exactly what inevitably happens to your cable.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Honestly I'm a bit so-so on them using a fibre optic cable. It's clever on paper, but not really a good idea for a headset because there's a hard limit on the angle of refraction you can have before light decides it has better places to be outside of the cable. And anyone who's used a roomscale setup long enough can tell you exactly what inevitably happens to your cable.

Assuming this cable is $30 or less I'm fine with risking a break and having to replace it. Fiber is a lot more flexible and less easily damaged than it used to be.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Quest tethering is very cool, but my Quest probably has more power than my rinky dink rear end laptop.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

RandomBlue posted:

Assuming this cable is $30 or less I'm fine with risking a break and having to replace it. Fiber is a lot more flexible and less easily damaged than it used to be.

It will be 80 dollars.

https://www.pcmag.com/news/370972/facebooks-custom-oculus-link-cable-for-the-quest-will-cost

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Hmmmm.... Probably get it anyway but it's definitely nowhere near as cheap as I was hoping. Will post here when I inevitably run over it with my chair multiple times and break it so you can all laugh at me. 15' vs. 10' is a big difference considering I lose 3-4' just getting out from under my desk and my play area is about 6' from there.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
ain't no fuckin' way i'm paying for an $80 cable made of glass that attaches to something on my head

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Hellsau posted:

ain't no fuckin' way i'm paying for an $80 cable made of glass that attaches to something on my head

How about $79?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

RandomBlue posted:

Yeah I'm a bit worried, it's inevitable when having a long cable you'll run over it with your chair. But there is plenty of time for Monoprice/China to step up and get us good cables.

I'm sure the thought of 100k+ people being willing to buy a $79 cable is going to fire some cable people up.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

They said it was more flexible than a typical USB c cable. It is probably plastic fiber not glass.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

mashed_penguin posted:

They said it was more flexible than a typical USB c cable. It is probably plastic fiber not glass.

Yeah, pretty sure most consumer optical cables have been plastic for a very long time. Audio toslink optical cables have been around for maybe 20 years now and they've always been very flexible and sturdy. I've never had one break, though I haven't run over one in my desk chair.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RandomBlue posted:

That doesn't change the occlusion concern though. Your typical home fibre cable is just sitting still for its entire life, not changing angles constantly and having a chance of winding up crimped or wrapped up at a sharp enough angle to leak light.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Has anyone tried one of those overhead cable suspension setups? I don't care about aesthetics in my ugly computer room, so I figured I'd try one if they work well.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

In the talk Carmack said that datarate for Link is only in the ~150mbit range, mentioning offhand that they probably could have gotten away with USB 2.0. Thought that was interesting, the higher the bandwidth the lower the latency presumably?

Also talked of WiFi solutions in the future, which is exciting.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 27, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Apparently any USB3 cable will work with the Quest so long as it's of a decent-enough quality, the one they're releasing is just a premium accessory that you can be certain will work properly.

Also they're hedging their bets and saying there may be some Rift content that doesn't play on a tethered Quest, but haven't mentioned anything specifically.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I just bought like 6 more friggin VR games because I'm dumb

wheeeee into the matrix I go

(Doom VFR, Catch & Release, Shooty Fruity, Zone of the Enders, Sprint Vector, and Rez on PC which I had on PS4 but I like the VIVE more obviously)

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That doesn't change the occlusion concern though. Your typical home fibre cable is just sitting still for its entire life, not changing angles constantly and having a chance of winding up crimped or wrapped up at a sharp enough angle to leak light.

I hope you've let Facebook know their new cable is doomed to fail.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Clitch posted:

Has anyone tried one of those overhead cable suspension setups? I don't care about aesthetics in my ugly computer room, so I figured I'd try one if they work well.

I do, and everyone with pcvr should. It helps with immersion, comfort, keeps the cables safer, and only costs like $20. Just get some drywall screw-in hooks and some retractable badge reels from any hardware store.

It does look goofy as hell with a ghetto rig like that, but, we're goons wearing boxes on our heads.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Just ordered a Quest.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RandomBlue posted:

I hope you've let Facebook know their new cable is doomed to fail.

I work with optical fibre for a living. It's a really neat idea, but it's a valid concern for how it's being used here. Especially when it's not the kind of tech where you can afford brief blips in transmission.

Also Oculus have a past history of building things to a single set spec, so they might well have developed it for a standing/sitting 180-degree experience like Beat Saber in mind rather than a full room-scale experience where you're wandering and turning around in all directions.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Sep 27, 2019

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I work with optical fibre for a living. It's a really neat idea, but it's a valid concern for how it's being used here. Especially when it's not the kind of tech where you can afford brief blips in transmission.

Also Oculus have a past history of building things to a single set spec, so they might well have developed it for a standing/sitting 180-degree experience like Beat Saber in mind rather than a full room-scale experience where you're wandering and turning around in all directions.

I don't know what kind of work you do specifically, but it seems like fibre optic for cables that take some strain have come a long way. I would imagine they're using something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QXye-uUoTY

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tom Guycot posted:

I don't know what kind of work you do specifically, but it seems like fibre optic for cables that take some strain have come a long way. I would imagine they're using something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QXye-uUoTY

That is legit impressive for fibre cable, because a full 180-degree bend like that generally means you've cracked the fibre core or attenuated the output to nothing as everything refracts out the side (it's like taking a real sharp turn and having everything fall off the back of a vehicle). That said; light out is not necessarily good light, and I'd take that demo with a big grain of salt unless they ran an OTDR through it (basically testing equipment used to detect signal strength and locate fibre breaks), because there's probably a decent drop in signal strength at the far end.

Nitpicking on that demo aside, something similar should admittedly work fine for general VR use, and even I'd expect Oculus can build a TX/RX module that doesn't poo poo the bed within a month. Unlike Corning, according to the reviews :eyepop:.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM
You people “canceling” the rift s are funny. Seriously.

Quest oc tether is the needle that hooks that new addict. You nerds ain’t the target audience and tbh the s is still the better pc headset. The hand tracking, while neat, isn’t something to sell a pc headset on because it’s not great, it’s a neat feature for a mobile headset that can do basic things.

Really. Guys. It’s not canceling other oculus pcvr. Did you miss the part of the keynote talking about other hardware they have tinkered with? Yeah it’s not anything they are talking about being next gen but come on. The CURRENT” quest isn’t replacing the current s. At least not with this specific update.

Oc6 was fun tho. Good hecking times.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
EbolaIvory, check out that Valve Index frunk fan mod if you haven't. It keeps my face much cooler than without. The hand boosters are also good poo poo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

EbolaIvory posted:

Quest oc tether is the needle that hooks that new addict. You nerds ain’t the target audience and tbh the s is still the better pc headset. The hand tracking, while neat, isn’t something to sell a pc headset on because it’s not great, it’s a neat feature for a mobile headset that can do basic things.

Except "that new addict" is the target market for both headsets, and you're ignoring the convenience factor for specs on paper. The target audience is gonna look at the model that "just" does PCVR, and the one that does portable VR too for the same price, and have to think real hard about if they want the Rift S now. Oculus does not have to care about the Rift S so long as the Quest succeeds, especially when Lenovo's the only one getting hurt if sales shift away from the Rift S to the Quest.

Bad press doesn't do it any favours either for new users doing a bit of research, and there's a lot of "so why does the Rift S exist now?" articles going around.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

EbolaIvory posted:

Really. Guys. It’s not canceling other oculus pcvr. Did you miss the part of the keynote talking about other hardware they have tinkered with? Yeah it’s not anything they are talking about being next gen but come on. The CURRENT” quest isn’t replacing the current s. At least not with this specific update.

No, but when discussing VR I'll now tell people to get the Quest + cable since that's def. a better experience for $490, than S for $399.

They get portable gaming (Beat Saber anywhere) + the entire catalog of Steam/Oculus/Itch which is huge.

Oculus link also just made any argument for Cosmos much harder. Part of the Cosmos initial pitch was you could plug in a phone and use it anywhere.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
someone hack the vive wireless kit to work with the quest usb cable and i'll buy it instantly, goddrat

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

EbolaIvory posted:

Oc6 was fun tho. Good hecking times.

If the Quest gets to 95% of the experience of the Rift S while also functioning as a standalone portable system, having additional features like hand tracking and physical IPD adjustment, while still costing the same amount of money, I really can't see any reason to go with the Rift S. You'd be trading away a shitload of functionality for a latency and refresh rate advantage most people have claimed is imperceptible, and ergonomics that are at best a step sideways.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Ars Technica have a decent hands-on with Link and the hand tracking.

Ars Technica posted:

Quest Link introduces obvious, acceptable compromises, and that means anyone who prefers PC-VR and ponied up for a dedicated computer VR system should chill out on their buyer's remorse. Quest Link is cool in a pinch, not the ultimate PC-VR option.

Which makes sense. If someone's sure they will only ever want to use it tethered then the S is a better headset for less money, but for most people the extra options from the Quest make it a more attractive alternative.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I think if Oculus had hand-tracking on the table for the Quest all this time, they really shoud've designed the Touch-S controllers more like the Index ones and let them hang off your hand. Just so that finger-tracking or controller use isn't an either-or proposition like it seems to be.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Went full nerd and put a hook up for the headset. Gotta figure out a good way to stash the sensors

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Stick100 posted:

Yeah I'm a bit worried, it's inevitable when having a long cable you'll run over it with your chair. But there is plenty of time for Monoprice/China to step up and get us good cables.

Just like they did with the Rift, right? :smith:

zer0spunk posted:

Went full nerd and put a hook up for the headset. Gotta figure out a good way to stash the sensors

This is probably OK because it’s up high on a wall, but leaving the lenses facing up just feels wrong to me

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
It's in a part of the room where there's 0 direct sunlight ever if that's the concern?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That and crud getting on the lenses