Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I love swole Commissioner Gordon and Hugo Strange

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

RareAcumen posted:

I love swole Commissioner Gordongantuan and Huge-o Strangle

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

RareAcumen posted:

I love swole Commissioner Gordon and Hugo Strange

Hugo Strange was in City, where there was a lot less of that 'musclebound default', so that was definitely deliberate. He's also super driven to beat Batman, and there's no way you're doing that without getting swole as hell.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Strange's design is just so good in general. He's a lot less grimy than most of the cast and you mostly see his face for his scenes which does really work.

Like it manages to make him both intimidating and sell you (in a comic book way) how he could trick his way into being warden.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Cleretic posted:

Hugo Strange was in City, where there was a lot less of that 'musclebound default', so that was definitely deliberate. He's also super driven to beat Batman, and there's no way you're doing that without getting swole as hell.

I think in some versions of the character he straight up goes all-in on trying to directly copy Batman to understand him better/replace him/whatever.

I just wish Strange had a bigger role in the game than he actually does. :sigh:

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
I think the voice actor made Strange, he sounds like Christopher Lee, and sells talking calmly and gravely about his stupid insane comic book villain plan.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Oh I know, I'm just including him because he's hilariously buff and does absolutely nothing in the game, just like Gordon.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

That's also something that's oddly endearing about Gears 5. Early on you meet Baird, who throughout the series has morphed from a slightly techy soldier to basically head scientist of the whole government. So at this point he's basically the stereotypical balding scientist in a lab coat trading insults with the AI he made, except he's also still a huge slab of beef because Gears gonna Gears. :allears:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Not at all true.
Even if you use an engine you arent bound to some kind of style. It was absolutely a conscious choice made by the devs to make their games look like they did. Either through laziness by just using the pre-packaged assets and shaders that came with UE3 or just aping the BROWN BLOOM ON EVERYTHING style of the time.

For example Mirror's Edge was made in UE3.

I think someone argued this with me before in this thread and yeah what you said. People just started conflating UE3 with meat slabs and that sharp lighting.

But I love the idea of a game designer trying their darndest to make a cute videogame but all that comes out is just buff loving jigglipuff.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Mokinokaro posted:

Strange's design is just so good in general. He's a lot less grimy than most of the cast and you mostly see his face for his scenes which does really work.

Like it manages to make him both intimidating and sell you (in a comic book way) how he could trick his way into being warden.

No, Hugo Strange's plan is dumb as hell and wouldn't work in a city patrolled by an actual superhero (instead of a billionaire furry). Not to mention the eminent domain issues of cordoning off an entire area of city and kicking out all residents and businesses to establish your superprison.

Imagine Arkham City in Metropolis. Two seconds after its opening, Superman has liberated all the prisoners, disarmed the TYGER guards, and put Hugo in a headlock giving him noogies.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Arkham City's plot was so loving stupid, and I'm still annoyed that I played all the way through to get that explanation as to how Strange had done all this.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

In Untitled Goose Game you transition through one area by going through a person's house. The camera follows you from the outside as you honk, crash and smash through things then get kicked out the door. If you are carrying something with you, they throw it out behind you.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

bony tony posted:

No, Hugo Strange's plan is dumb as hell and wouldn't work in a city patrolled by an actual superhero (instead of a billionaire furry). Not to mention the eminent domain issues of cordoning off an entire area of city and kicking out all residents and businesses to establish your superprison.

Imagine Arkham City in Metropolis. Two seconds after its opening, Superman has liberated all the prisoners, disarmed the TYGER guards, and put Hugo in a headlock giving him noogies.
isn't there a scene where someone mentions that Superman offered to help and Batman told him to gently caress off because Batmans an idiot?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
There's a Batman and Superman that can believably exist in the same universe. Arkham Batman is not one of them.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

isn't there a scene where someone mentions that Superman offered to help and Batman told him to gently caress off because Batmans an idiot?

Honestly, that squares, because I feel like one of the worst things about being in the Justice League would be Superman. Anything even remotely big comes up in your area and you've inevitably got Superman asking if he should help out, and you don't actually want to be a jerk to him but you really want to tell him that you can loving handle this, CLARK, go back to being all-powerful somewhere else and let me deal with my side of things!

I feel like the only one who's probably safest from this is The Flash, just because he can deal with a lot of those problems faster than it would take for Superman to find out about them. I can only imagine Green Arrow gets the worst of it, at least Superman generally respects that Batman's a smart guy.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Sunswipe posted:

Arkham City's plot was so loving stupid, and I'm still annoyed that I played all the way through to get that explanation as to how Strange had done all this.

And on top of that it retroactively ruined the spooky Spirit of Arkham stuff from the first game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TheMostFrench posted:

In Untitled Goose Game you transition through one area by going through a person's house. The camera follows you from the outside as you honk, crash and smash through things then get kicked out the door. If you are carrying something with you, they throw it out behind you.

That ribbon was rightfully mine and damned if I'm letting it just come off on a bush :colbert:.

I took the time on the grand adventure back with the Bell to get the lady to stick the ribbon back on so I could continue on in style :smuggo:.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Arkham City boasts the biggest gulf in quality between story and gameplay. Thankfully the gameplay is 99% of the experience. It's not something that can be easily replicated nor improved by adding a tank to the formula.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Arkham City boasts the biggest gulf in quality between story and gameplay. Thankfully the gameplay is 99% of the experience. It's not something that can be easily replicated nor improved by adding a tank to the formula.

Hot Take: The Tank was alright, I liked the riddler challenges with it. The combat was poor though, although the optional boss with it was satisfying as I was nearly dead, I followed him into a tunnel and finished him off by firing EVERY ROCKET I HAD UP HIS TAILPIPE! It was a fond moment.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I’m sure I’ve posted this before but the Batmobile is really well made, yet it has an absurdly high learning curve before you start having fun with it. The driving model is extremely detailed and versatile and responsive. After doing a ton of the bonus challenges way too many times, driving that thing is second nature to me, and it feels super bad rear end.

Problem is, even if I’ve learned to like it, that kind of difficulty curve belongs nowhere near the Arkham series, where the whole premise is you’re the god drat Batman. He’s super bad rear end to begin with, that should be part of the design!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It would have been fine if it stayed as a car, there was no reason to make it a clunky third person shooter too.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
OOh, the basement level in Hot Lava puts things together in an interesting way, although the final chase level "Chase the Meaning" is hard.
The one before it has an interesting implication though, as at one point you are running through air vents and you actually hear in the background what sounds like the main characters parent's arguing. Seems him and his sister's game of The Floor is Lava is a metaphor for the rocky ground they are treading on.
You can't make out any words, but the tone is there. In no other level do you hear such a thing.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

That is more or less exactly what happened in No Man's Land which was a big inspiration for Arkham City:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

That ribbon was rightfully mine and damned if I'm letting it just come off on a bush :colbert:.

I took the time on the grand adventure back with the Bell to get the lady to stick the ribbon back on so I could continue on in style :smuggo:.

That was the best part of the game because you think "oh I'm an rear end in a top hat goose this is funny" "haha these people have no goose signs" and then you find out that this day of assholery isn't anything special and it's just like a regular rear end Tuesday

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Made a video of one of the last levels in Hot Lava as I like how the design has evolved: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJgzo4Qy2eI

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cleretic posted:

Honestly, that squares, because I feel like one of the worst things about being in the Justice League would be Superman. Anything even remotely big comes up in your area and you've inevitably got Superman asking if he should help out, and you don't actually want to be a jerk to him but you really want to tell him that you can loving handle this, CLARK, go back to being all-powerful somewhere else and let me deal with my side of things!

Nah it'd be great, you don't have to take your superheroing seriously, you can go all in on a stupid gimmick and have supes bail you out if using your dumb medieval weapon somehow fails.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Assassin's Creed 2: There is no permanent penalty for being seen, if you escape or kill the nearby guards you can keep going.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Sadly the next seven games would add arbitrary restrictions to compensate the rather shallow gameplay.

Also, you haven't mentioned the boat level. Everyone remembers the boat level. Everyone hated it.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Also, you haven't mentioned the boat level. Everyone remembers the boat level. Everyone hated it.

In the original release it was just (a part of) lazy dlc, but the later versions made it unskippable. :downs:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Sadly the next seven games would add arbitrary restrictions to compensate the rather shallow gameplay.

I don't actually remember the boat level but I still hate because there's absolutely no way something called "The Boat Level" could be good.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
RE4 had a pretty sweet boat section.

Turtles in Time had a level set on giant pirate boats, with cannons, pirate hats, swords, guys swinging on ropes, explosions, all the things you'd want in a pirate level.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Moon Monster posted:

I don't actually remember the boat level but I still hate because there's absolutely no way something called "The Boat Level" could be good.

Metal Gear Solid 2 says otherwise :colbert:.

Len posted:

That was the best part of the game because you think "oh I'm an rear end in a top hat goose this is funny" "haha these people have no goose signs" and then you find out that this day of assholery isn't anything special and it's just like a regular rear end Tuesday

I even went left at the start and was surprised by this odd pile of bells in a pit... and completely forgot about them right up until I came waddling back with my new(est) trophy :allears:.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Cleretic posted:

Not letting Superman help is dumb and irresponsible and just another piece of evidence that super heroes are actually terrible people. If people are in danger and you know someone who could get them out of danger instantly, you'd have to be a real psychopath (or the dumbest person alive) to not give them a call.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tiggum posted:

Not letting Superman help is dumb and irresponsible and just another piece of evidence that super heroes are actually terrible people. If people are in danger and you know someone who could get them out of danger instantly, you'd have to be a real psychopath (or the dumbest person alive) to not give them a call.

Having Superman solve everything every time means villains and the like are only afraid of Superman. If Superman ever goes away, or dies, again, things get much worse because everyone thinks it's free reign to do what they please. Gotta remind the world there are other heroes lurking about to keep things in balance too, and they can generally solve most situations just as well.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Having Superman solve everything every time means villains and the like are only afraid of Superman. If Superman ever goes away, or dies, again, things get much worse because everyone thinks it's free reign to do what they please. Gotta remind the world there are other heroes lurking about to keep things in balance too, and they can generally solve most situations just as well.

Superman can't be everywhere at once. He's not going to be available all the time. But if he's offering to help then you'd be insane to turn him down.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Tiggum posted:

a real psychopath (or the dumbest person alive)

Reported for doxxing Bruce Wayne

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

you'd have to be a real psychopath (or the dumbest person alive)

(sorry, I can only ever find this in demotivational format)

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Pretty much everything about the whole superhero concept falls apart when you spend a minute applying real world logic to it. Makes it annoying when they try to use superpowers/superheroes/the plight thereof as a metaphor for some real world thing.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
It's greek pantheon all over again but even stupider because Zeus grew up on a farm in Kentucky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I honestly like how the Arrowverse handles that power discrepancy between friendlies, as an aside. You've got the Green Arrow and his crew, The Flash and his crew, and a ship of outright goddamn time travelers, and they're very happy to collaborate, but it's established pretty early that even for The Flash it's not a totally effortless trip, and for the most part they just get in each other's way when dealing with each other's problems so it's best to just keep distance unless poo poo really hits the fan.

I can see that being a pretty fair reason to tell Superman to stay away during the Arkham City situation. Batman knows the situation and major players better and has a better toolkit for dealing with that stuff, so Superman should be at best kept in reserve. Plus on a metatextual level we've had several cases where we see that Superman's just not equipped to handle The Joker (both the Kingdom Come miniseries and Injustice use Superman failing to stop The Joker as their initial inciting incident), so, might be best not to introduce the two.