Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
I'm sorry, did Schiff read the "transcript" (the summary memo) the executive released into the record?
Did trump not read that before the executive branch released it? No, he can't read ... did he not have an aide read it to him? I'm sure he could probably get two aides to act it out, even.

I mean, I am certain he doesn't remember the call, but just...
This is the first time he's actually learning what was in the memo, isn't it?

E: I pay my goddam taxes happily.

His name is Kirby and he likes smooshing his face on arm rests.
And yes, the orientation is probably messed up. Don't take pictures of your dog and drive, goons

Rodenthar Drothman fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Sep 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

If a majority of a population speaking a language doesn't know how a feature of the language works, that isn't how the language works, it's just how some institution decided it should work but has failed to implement.

What's your point? Most people know what a hyphen is

(Even if they can't distinguish an emdash from a hyphen)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

so does the president think he's writing l'il but he's an idiot so writes it sorta phonetically but remembers that there's supposed to a hyphen in there and tosses it at the end?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Groovelord Neato posted:

so does the president think he's writing l'il but he's an idiot so writes it sorta phonetically but remembers that there's supposed to a hyphen in there and tosses it at the end?

Li'l

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

pacerhimself posted:

What is the actual claim here? I know it's bullshit without looking it up but specifically, what did Schiff say.

At the beginning of the hearing yesterday, Schiff read from the memo the White House released, but he did not read it verbatim. He characterized it as a mob shakedown.

There is nothing improper there. Schiff isn’t mandated to be impartial in his opening statement.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So is their genuine loving attempt at spin being "IT'S ALL MADE UP" for something they released themselves?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

gently caress i put the hyphen in the wrong spot too.

ImpAtom posted:

So is their genuine loving attempt at spin being "IT'S ALL MADE UP" for something they released themselves?

yes.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
trump sure did lead dems right into the impeachment trap, :ohdear:

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

I'm sorry, did Schiff read the "transcript" (the summary memo) the executive released into the record?
Did trump not read that before the executive branch released it? No, he can't read ... did he not have an aide read it to him? I'm sure he could probably get two aides to act it out, even.

I mean, I am certain he doesn't remember the call, but just...
This is the first time he's actually learning what was in the memo, isn't it?

From what I recall yesterday with the DNI, Schiff's recounting of the memo took a little creative license to interpret the contents and I think that is what trump is frothing over.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

Sorry, the gravy train is coming into the station. Good luck staying relevant until the next nightmare gets elected.

This seems like a lovely opinion or am I missing online sarcasm? How is it a 'perversion of journalistic ethics' to protect a whistleblower?

Full Disclosure: I have no idea who this guy is I just know he gets posted in here a lot.
https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1177407029482274816

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

bobjr posted:

Trump was too busy beating up his teachers in school to learn anything from them

Lol can you imagine Trump trying to beat up anyone ever? :allears:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Groovelord Neato posted:

gently caress i put the hyphen in the wrong spot too..

I know you're just baiting me here but it's surprisingly aggravating gj

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

ewiley posted:

The sad thing is this worked in 2016 so he's just going to keep at it. Not to re-litigate, but Dems are going to need an actual messaging to keep pushing this narrative of corruption by Trump and not assume that CNN or NPR will carry water for them or that 'the facts speak for themselves' which they clearly don't.

See, to me the reason why this is such a big deal is because there is a bight bright line that he crossed and be easily pointed to unlike the Mueller report. Asking a forcing government to dig up dirt or create a scandal to take out a political rival is such a corrupt move that is easily understandable by a lot of people. Mueller's report while damning has to be explained WHY it's so damning. Here is the narrative does speak for itself, the President is corrupted beyond the point of repair and needs to be replaced.

The other difference between now and 2016 is that the President is an actual known quantity now. People (stupidly) thought it was bluster or convinced themselves that he wasn't that bad. You can't say that anymore. Here it is, in the flesh, he is that bad. His approval ratings were abysmal before this, now it's just more proof he sucks.

Though, I do agree having a message is good.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

TulliusCicero posted:

I can imagine him beating up sex-trafficked kids or a crying spouse fairly easily. Also that time he slapped the poo poo out of his son for...not wearing a suit to a basketball game

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

hidden_msg posted:

This seems like a lovely opinion or am I missing online sarcasm? How is it a 'perversion of journalistic ethics' to protect a whistleblower?

Full Disclosure: I have no idea who this guy is I just know he gets posted in here a lot.

he's posted in here a lot because he's a huge loving idiot

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

TulliusCicero posted:

He beat his own son and ex-wife.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm going to be mad if he strokes out.

There is no justice, so this is probably what'll eventually happen, but I'll be loving mad about it too.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

hidden_msg posted:

It's a lovely opinion in part because Trump has implied that the whistleblower should be killed.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

hidden_msg posted:

Sorry, the gravy train is coming into the station. Good luck staying relevant until the next nightmare gets elected.

Michael Tracey is a contrarian moron who gained popularity by chastising democrats for investigating russian collusion in our elections. He sucks and should not be platformed, retweeted, posted, responded to, etc.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Mooseontheloose posted:

See, to me the reason why this is such a big deal is because there is a bight bright line that he crossed and be easily pointed to unlike the Mueller report. Asking a forcing government to dig up dirt or create a scandal to take out a political rival is such a corrupt move that is easily understandable by a lot of people. Mueller's report while damning has to be explained WHY it's so damning. Here is the narrative does speak for itself, the President is corrupted beyond the point of repair and needs to be replaced.

The other difference between now and 2016 is that the President is an actual known quantity now. People (stupidly) thought it was bluster or convinced themselves that he wasn't that bad. You can't say that anymore. Here it is, in the flesh, he is that bad. His approval ratings were abysmal before this, now it's just more proof he sucks.

Though, I do agree having a message is good.

Trump was caught on tape in his own words saying he would grab women by the genitals and won election just a few months later. I mean, that was a different time, but don't think his re-election campaign won't work like hell and collude with R leadership and Fox news to spin the gently caress out of it with nicely written talking points. The Fox/R leadership was caught off guard by Trump's sudden release of the call memo and the release of the whistleblower report, but by Monday they'll have all coordinated and messaged this to hell and the Dems will need to respond in some way that's not "hey CNN here's the bothsides report you were looking for!"

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Trump 100 percent thinks quotes convey emphasis.

Magugu
Mar 30, 2013

I came to drink, fight, and f@ck. And im fresh outta beer, so what will it be?

ImpAtom posted:

No, its more like "what you're seeing, isn't what you're seeing."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

PerniciousKnid posted:

Trump 100 percent thinks quotes convey emphasis.

yeah but he does that for specific words i don't think i've ever seen him do it for an entire tweet.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
Mods please change Spiderhyphenman's name to "Spiderapostropheman"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah but he does that for specific words i don't think i've ever seen him do it for an entire tweet.

*takes off glasses* We're through the looking glass people

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Sep 27, 2019

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ewiley posted:

Trump was caught on tape in his own words saying he would grab women by the genitals and won election just a few months later. I mean, that was a different time, but don't think his re-election campaign won't work like hell and collude with R leadership and Fox news to spin the gently caress out of it with nicely written talking points. The Fox/R leadership was caught off guard by Trump's sudden release of the call memo and the release of the whistleblower report, but by Monday they'll have all coordinated and messaged this to hell and the Dems will need to respond in some way that's not "hey CNN here's the bothsides report you were looking for!"

who outside of the trump campaign wants trump as president for another term? fox was making hay out of trump as a ratings generator to oppose the hated hillary clinton. republicans were similarly expecting trump to lose and holding him up as a spoiler when he improbably won the primary. the trump presidency has been a horror show, they don't even have the excuse of "at least he's good for business" because he's constantly pointing a loaded pistol at the economy. the republicans will put up a token show of support for their boy because it's bad form to just walk away from an election entirely but how much enthusiasm can there really be for president wet brains after everything that happened between 2017 and 2020?

both fox and the gop need a rebuilding term where they can go back to the status quo of being an obstructionist party, without having to try to voice that position while also kowtowing to a cranky fascist wannabe

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

eke out posted:

he's posted in here a lot because he's a huge loving idiot

saintonan posted:

It's a lovely opinion in part because Trump has implied that the whistleblower should be killed.

skylined! posted:

Michael Tracey is a contrarian moron who gained popularity by chastising democrats for investigating russian collusion in our elections. He sucks and should not be platformed, retweeted, posted, responded to, etc.

A shapiro wannabe got it. Thanks

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

mdemone posted:

There is no justice, so this is probably what'll eventually happen, but I'll be loving mad about it too.

The worst part about him stroking out would be the right treating him like a loving martyr that 'the libs' have clearly driven to having a stroke. They'll call it an execution and we won't hear the end of it, ever.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Solaris 2.0 posted:

He beat his own son and ex-wife.

:smith:

That's just hosed up

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

ewiley posted:

Yeah. I'm not trying to be all gloomy or whatever, but it seems unlikely that Republicans won't get their poo poo together and ultimately form of a cohesive message. It's what they do. The fact that they're in chaos right now is good and the fact that Trump is just absolutely losing it is also good, I just don't expect it to last for much longer. It's interesting to see what it takes to really stress the conservative propaganda machine, though.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
An apostrophe is not a hyphen you clods!

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Just a reminder about why the whistleblower needs protection:

It is being reported that the White House knew about the complaint before it finished making its way up the proper chain. This person has been at risk since May and the White House has been laying the groundwork to cover this up and discredit them the entire time. Most likely they already know who it is then, since there are only so many people it could be. It is also possible people who spoke to the whistleblower have already been identified and quietly had their lives ruined.

The idea that the American people deserve to know who they are is stupid. They will almost certainly need witness protection at this point.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

He's losing his loving mind.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

mango sentinel posted:

An apostrophe is not a hyphen you clods!

but when the president says it, that means it is not an apostrophe.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/Popehat/status/1177584059326713862

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

CornHolio posted:

The worst part about him stroking out would be the right treating him like a loving martyr that 'the libs' have clearly driven to having a stroke. They'll call it an execution and we won't hear the end of it, ever.

And President Pence pardons the Trump family if Trump dies in office.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

LOUD NOISES

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mooseontheloose posted:

And President Pence pardons the Trump family if Trump dies in office.

For the eight trillionth time, only federal charges can be pardoned by the President

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I love that trump only knows about 3 adjectives. "Perfect conversation" makes no loving sense.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

President Miles Edgeworth: Perfect Conversationalist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Failed Imagineer posted:

For the eight trillionth time, only federal charges can be pardoned by the President

Right and? There are tons of federal laws they violated that are easier to convict on.

I know we are hoping to rely on New York State but still...