Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Mooseontheloose posted:

Right and? There are tons of federal laws they violated that are easier to convict on.

I know we are hoping to rely on New York State but still...

We've been generally working on the presumption that any post-Trump charges will come from state prosecutors in NY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

Basically Trump's recollection of any of his prior conversations is a little something like

So it shouldn't be surprising that he finds an accurate recounting of his call to be jarring and disturbing

Huh, Garrison was pretty restrained with his labels this week.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1177579380819845120

WHISTLEBLOWER ISNT A WHISTLEBLOWER ARGLEBARGLE

Edit: ooof full blown narc paranoia is here and ho boi is it a doozy

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Holy poo poo they did it
https://twitter.com/fawfulfan/status/1177585771710164992?s=20

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Beastie posted:

I love that trump only knows about 3 adjectives. "Perfect conversation" makes no loving sense.

It does when he also says it was "nice" and "no pressure".

He never once raised his voice when discussing the crimes

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1177575947358412800?s=19

You know, reading from the transcript that the White House released.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

TulliusCicero posted:

Nancy's only real quality is her banter A game when she wants to

"Would you like to respond to what Kellyanne Conway said?"

"Why?"

Any of us could do that without so much as a single brain cell firing. I know she's old and old people are incompetent but giving an old incompetent lady credit for doing something that anybody, even those who suffer from conditions that make human communication difficult, can do effortlessly isn't good.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

luxury handset posted:

who outside of the trump campaign wants trump as president for another term? fox was making hay out of trump as a ratings generator to oppose the hated hillary clinton. republicans were similarly expecting trump to lose and holding him up as a spoiler when he improbably won the primary. the trump presidency has been a horror show, they don't even have the excuse of "at least he's good for business" because he's constantly pointing a loaded pistol at the economy. the republicans will put up a token show of support for their boy because it's bad form to just walk away from an election entirely but how much enthusiasm can there really be for president wet brains after everything that happened between 2017 and 2020?

both fox and the gop need a rebuilding term where they can go back to the status quo of being an obstructionist party, without having to try to voice that position while also kowtowing to a cranky fascist wannabe

Trump is rabidly popular with his base of stupid white people, which apparently comprise at least 35% of the voting/mypillow-purchasing population. That's a lot of sweet boomer cash to tempt anyone into brushing aside his inanity. Also judges (which would be true regardless of which pile of wasps in a suit with an R next to their name occupied the WH but whatever).

Without Trump, the R's stand no chance of getting the presidency in 2020. They have hitched their wagons to his diaperd rear end and and need him to continue to be relevant.

e: typo

ewiley fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 27, 2019

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1177575947358412800?s=19

You know, reading from the transcript that the White House released.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1177576649233195008

This is my fav bit posted directly after that

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

friendbot2000 posted:

i actually caught a bit of fox news this morning going into our break room and they had a guy on whining about how the whistleblower is some partisan with "political animus" towards trump.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Rigel posted:

We've been generally working on the presumption that any post-Trump charges will come from state prosecutors in NY.

I get that but I still thinking getting federal pardons would be pretty bad.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

At least 40% of Trump's anger is coming from the fact that he sincerely believed the memo (where he flat-out admitted to an impeachable offense in a very clear way) would be a masterstroke that would deflate the whole thing. He was focused on the pleasantries between him and the Ukraine president, thinking it would make him look kind, smart, and presidential. He can't admit to himself that he idiotically glossed over something critically devastating to himself, and that translates to confusion, sheer bewilderment and white-hot rage that he isn't being praised for being a good smart diplomatic boy.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
Holy poo poo indeed!

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Made up complaint that was corroborated by the transcript they released.

Hell of a guess by the not a whistleblower

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

friendbot2000 posted:

Second hand information WHICH IS ALL TRUE BASED ON WHAT YOU VOLENTEERED!

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Mooseontheloose posted:

I get that but I still thinking getting federal pardons would be pretty bad.

not really. A prosecution by a Federal attorney appointed by a president Warren would be politically difficult at best, and likely untenable. The New York prosecutors will be more likely to give no fucks. It is not reasonable to hope for Federal trials of Trump and his family post-presidency even if we hypothetically presumed self-serving pardons were thrown out by SCOTUS.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Good move, keep this in the news and in front of everyone. The more televised house committee investigations the better!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oh. They are trying to either force the Whistleblower-s name out or muddy the waters as to how trustworthy they are. That-s depressingly gross.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Oh. They are trying to either force the Whistleblower-s name out or muddy the waters as to how trustworthy they are. That-s depressingly gross.

i wasn;t paying close attention but it sounded like the talking head actually named someone.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Rigel posted:

not really. A prosecution by a Federal attorney appointed by a president Warren would be politically difficult at best, and likely untenable. The New York prosecutors will be more likely to give no fucks. It is not reasonable to hope for Federal trials of Trump and his family post-presidency even if we hypothetically presumed self-serving pardons were thrown out by SCOTUS.

NY county (including NYC burrough) DAs are elected, so..

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Some really sad attempted gaslighting from the WH this morning

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

ImpAtom posted:

They are doing the same thing they did during the Russia investigation. Like line for line the same exact thing.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

Pretty typical Republican behavior. GW outed one of our spies.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

OddObserver posted:

NY county (including NYC burrough) DAs are elected, so..

Their demographics are massively different from the US. A DA in that county could run on "vote for me, and the Trump trial starts within the year!"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
lol in continuing 'no one but nobodies and trump die hards wants to touch this' news, Fox just teased their big 'both sides weigh in' for this with, for the dems, Eric Swalwell, a representative on the intel committee and former presidential candidate who sucks rear end but is at least pretty drat relevant...and Laura Trump, from the Trump campaign.

So, ya know, doin great.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

hidden_msg posted:

Full Disclosure: I have no idea who this guy is I just know he gets posted in here a lot.
https://twitter.com/mtracey/status/1177407029482274816

Michael Tracey is a huge disingenuous piece of poo poo who once claimed Maxine Waters assaulted him because he asked her a completely stupid question once, she ignored him, then brushed past him when she walked away.

He is garbage and his opinions are, universally, garbage.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Rigel posted:

Their demographics are massively different from the US. A DA in that county could run on "vote for me, and the Trump trial starts within the year!"

Yeah, Trump is super turbo hated there, running on a gently caress TRUMP IN COURT FOREVER platform would get you infinite votes I'd imagine.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

We're gonna need a bigger Schadenfreude thread soon.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Sep 27, 2019

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

sexpig by night posted:

lol in continuing 'no one but nobodies and trump die hards wants to touch this' news, Fox just teased their big 'both sides weigh in' for this with, for the dems, Eric Swalwell, a representative on the intel committee and former presidential candidate who sucks rear end but is at least pretty drat relevant...and Laura Trump, from the Trump campaign.

So, ya know, doin great.

Just riding out this storm! :shepface:

It is absolutely hilarious how much the GOP is loving maintaining radio silence on this

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Was there ever confirmation that the whistleblower or their attorneys would be meeting with house intel/some other committee today? I thought there was a push for it for today.

Welp that was fast

https://twitter.com/ella_nilsen/status/1177588865600753670

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Do you think Joseph Maguire is going to get hit with an obstruction charge of some sort for how he handled the whistle blower complaint?

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

friendbot2000 posted:

"IF HE'S A WHISTLEBLOWER, WHERE DID HE GET THE WHISTLE?!?!?! CHECKMATE LIBS!!!!!"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
A fair point

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1177586341619609600?s=19

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

i am harry posted:

Pretty typical Republican behavior. GW outed one of our spies.

It's projection all the way down with the Republican party. Don't think the irony of storing political information on a server is lost in the irony department.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

The entire GOP is going to act like paraphrasing does not exist and it owns

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

TulliusCicero posted:

It is absolutely hilarious how much the GOP is loving maintaining radio silence on this

It really feels like they’re hanging him out to dry. They probably want him to stroke out so they don’t have to actually reckon with removal and can just memory-hole the whole thing.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Jealous Cow posted:

It really feels like they’re hanging him out to dry. They probably want him to stroke out so they don’t have to actually reckon with removal and can just memory-hole the whole thing.

They're waiting on poll numbers

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

TulliusCicero posted:

Dude literally wrote and released a confession to a crime, and not some hyper technical financial thing or an arguably "gotcha" lied to the Feds type of thing where people would roll their eyes. He wrote something from out of a script for a mob boss in a way anyone who watches Netflix could grock, it exploded in a spectacular way nothing else has in the last 3 years, and most importantly they have NO polls.

They are waiting for next week. If the polls inexplicably show the American people yawning and not moving on the impeachment question then they'll relax and fall in line. If the polls move sharply toward a strong majority for impeachment, they still won't remove him but they'll continue to quiver in silence hoping it all blows over after a year by the next election.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Jealous Cow posted:

I've got a bad feeling that they're going to regroup over the weekend and jump into a more coordinated defense in time for the Monday news cycle, but I'm not saying it'll be effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

ManBoyChef posted:

Do you think Joseph Maguire is going to get hit with an obstruction charge of some sort for how he handled the whistle blower complaint?

I doubt it. His appearance was very clearly 'career bureaucrat trying their best to be technically bureaucratic' and not 'malicious partisan rear end in a top hat' a la lewandowski's hearing last week.

They may haul him back in, in a private session, to try to get more out of him though. And will almost likely get more under oath statements out of him for the official impeachment package.