Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1177575947358412800?s=19

You know, reading from the transcript that the White House released.

The White House typed up a bunch of lies and tricked a Democrat into reading them under oath! Fuckin gottem :master:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

mango sentinel posted:

They're waiting on poll numbers

The Republicans problems are always going to be their base, they could get data saying they will lose the Presidency, the house, and the Senate for 20 years but they can't win a primary because their base will not allow compromise or only rewards obstruction.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

mango sentinel posted:

They're waiting on poll numbers

With any luck the shift is going to be bad enough that the GOP suddenly starts wondering aloud if someone couldn't please just get rid of this troublesome Twitter account making them look bad.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

There were a few out there making the rounds last night. Nunes was on hannity, as well as Jim Jordan. Coumo debate some GOP house member from Utah last night who said he believes what Biden did was worse than what Trump did. Even when Coumo laid out the facts.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Riatsala posted:

I've got a bad feeling that they're going to regroup over the weekend and jump into a more coordinated defense in time for the Monday news cycle, but I'm not saying it'll be effective.

If the media doesn't comply it won't work, and the media in general smells bloody ratings in the water.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Riatsala posted:

I've got a bad feeling that they're going to regroup over the weekend and jump into a more coordinated defense in time for the Monday news cycle, but I'm not saying it'll be effective.

Like Barr's BS narrative on the Mueller report: first past to post tends to win, playing catch-up gets more difficult with each passing day. By Monday, this'll have ballooned in so many directions and to such size they'll not be able to contain it.

Although it's going to be great good fun watching them try.

IMHO the Republican Party is no longer any good at anything but grifting. They've not had to actually work at anything like governance and legislation for over a decade (preferring lobbyist-written legislation, for example, rather than actually crafting their own). Any actual moderates who could criticise the party, providing necessary feedback (and help self-correct & improve themselves) were drummed out long ago. Even when they critique why they did badly (i.e. we need to appeal to minorities or we'll die) they don't listen to their own advice.

They're used to a dumbed-down percentage of the electorate being swayed by a bought and compliant media. It's worked so far but it's made them flabby and careless in the area of knife-fight politics.

The corporate media follows profit over all else, and an enormous, dramatic, juicy scandal pulling eyeballs will trump (heh) the wishes of the GOP any day; no amount of hand-waving or Hannity bleating will change the narrative on this one: this is a once-in-a-generation story, and the media knows it.

The Democrats, while not the party we'd all prefer them to be by any means, are miles better at this sort of thing, and this is now running to their strengths. It's going to be brutal.

PainterofCrap fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 27, 2019

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

ManBoyChef posted:

Do you think Joseph Maguire is going to get hit with an obstruction charge of some sort for how he handled the whistle blower complaint?

I doubt it, but I think he should. His whole argument was premised on the fact that the President is for all practical purposes above the law because there is no way to file a whistleblower complaint against him without it being eventually squashed by the the President and/or DOJ. And the irony is that they didn't even squash it in this case! He just ignored the law stating he had to turn it over to the HIC within 7 days because "the President is not part of the intelligence community". What a complete idiot.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Riatsala posted:

If impeachment becomes popular, then the vulnerable Republicans up for 2020 won't join them. The chorus will be led by some fuckstick from Mississippi.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

OddObserver posted:

NY county (including NYC burrough) DAs are elected, so..

TO clarify, New York City is made up of five counties, also called Brooughs. Each Borough is its own county, with an elected DA.

County Name - Borough Name
New York County - Manhattan
Queens County - Queens
Kings County - Brooklyn
Bronx County - Bronx
Richmond County - Staten Island

There is also a sixth DA, who is not elected, the Special Narcotics Prosecutor, who can only investigate and prosecute crimes that include, but are not limited to felony charges under subdivision 220 of the NYS PL.

Election to a NYC DA position is basically lifetime tenure. Turnover is extremely rare.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Zotix posted:

There were a few out there making the rounds last night. Nunes was on hannity, as well as Jim Jordan. Coumo debate some GOP house member from Utah last night who said he believes what Biden did was worse than what Trump did. Even when Coumo laid out the facts.

Ya and some other crazy rear end in a top hat from the house was on NPR as well. The house members don't matter. They're speaking to a much smaller constituency and doing a real lovely job of it.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Riatsala posted:

What defense could they possibly produce? The President himself and his lawyer are confessing and everything is true, the witness is a CIA officer who has no reason to stick their neck out except "holy poo poo crimes"

They are hosed

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea I'm sure come monday they'll have a talking point to rally around and make it clear the party better fall in line, but the point is they spent this whole week with toads like Cruz and Graham being all 'uh actually the democrats are just mad we won and also this wasn't bad and also now we won't do anything with them to punish them for this' while near everyone else ran from it. By the time they get their ducks in a row the democrats have had a week or so of undisputed narrative to go around explaining a pretty cut and dry example of corruption.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Mooseontheloose posted:

The Republicans problems are always going to be their base, they could get data saying they will lose the Presidency, the house, and the Senate for 20 years but they can't win a primary because their base will not allow compromise or only rewards obstruction.

To some extent thats true, but their calculation includes the belief that with just 5-6 months time they can pivot and have a chance in a general. If the GOP were hypothetically convinced that they would 100% lose the general if they worry too much about the primary, then they would have nothing to lose and the smarter ones would go "screw it, primary me if you can, idiots. I'll lose anyway if I don't do something different".

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Riatsala posted:

I'm having a real hard time imagining what that coordinated defense will be--we already saw their talking points.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

TulliusCicero posted:

What defense could they possibly produce? The President himself and his lawyer are confessing and everything is true, the witness is a CIA officer who has no reason to stick their neck out except "holy poo poo crimes"

They are hosed

To expand, how do you defend:
-Bribing a foreign official
-Bribing a foreign official to take out a political opponent
-LITERALLY sell out the United States so you can cling to power

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Also the GOP has to work around a wrong thing, while Trump is working around that he did nothing wrong, so it’s hard to mix the two together in cases like this where Trump gives stuff away like he does

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Rigel posted:

To some extent thats true, but their calculation includes the belief that with just 5-6 months time they can pivot and have a chance in a general. If the GOP were hypothetically convinced that they would 100% lose the general if they worry too much about the primary, then they would have nothing to lose and the smarter ones would go "screw it, primary me if you can, idiots. I'll lose anyway if I don't do something different".

We both forgot the other element here. The GOP electeds are true believers and will sink with trump no matter what.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

skylined! posted:

Was there ever confirmation that the whistleblower or their attorneys would be meeting with house intel/some other committee today? I thought there was a push for it for today.

the only holdup, fyi, is that the whistleblower's attorneys need to be issued the clearances necessary to sit in on the interview with HPSCI. it shouldn't be a problem, but it's the reason that they couldn't talk to them immediately

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

PainterofCrap posted:

Like Barr's BS narrative on the Mueller report: first past to post tends to win, playing catch-up gets more difficult with each passing day. By Monday, this'll have ballooned in so many directions and to such size they'll not be able to contain it.

That's really been the most shocking part of all of this, for me, is not the capital-C Crimes but that it's clear this caught the GOP off guard. They have NOTHING right now. No singular talking point to rally behind, no days-early projection to mitigate blame, no softening the blow, nothing. This is a slam dunk from-the-horse's-mouth scandal that everyone in America can understand and the entire GOP had their pants down.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

I'm having a real hard time imagining what that coordinated defense will be--we already saw their talking points.

Remember that it doesn't have to make sense.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/NPR/status/1177586199973781504?s=20

Something we all knew...

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

Ya know I hadn't really thought about the implications this might have on Mcconnell's reelection campaign.

He's going to have to do something about impeachment while campaigning. Neat.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/leslieleeiii/status/1177592073710641157

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Mooseontheloose posted:

To expand, how do you defend:
-Bribing a foreign official
-Bribing a foreign official to take out a political opponent
-LITERALLY sell out the United States so you can cling to power

Not even bribing, extorting. Withholding aid from a key regional ally with nuclear technology.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

skylined! posted:

Ya and some other crazy rear end in a top hat from the house was on NPR as well. The house members don't matter. They're speaking to a much smaller constituency and doing a real lovely job of it.

They can also start feeding a narrative to see how well it sticks without the Senate members putting their necks on the line.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Mooseontheloose posted:

We both forgot the other element here. The GOP electeds are true believers and will sink with trump no matter what.

lol, this is absolutely false for at least 1/3 to 1/2 the GOP in the Senate. (Less so for the gerrymandered house). They loving hate Trump for putting themselves in danger while forcing them to defend someone they feel is well beneath them. They are forced to hold a rictus grin while standing next to him hoping they don't get primaried.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1177590645499813889

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
So Trump’s defense right now is that Schiff was paraphrasing...lol

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
The next lib-triggering movement will be to call apostrophes hyphens.

MMania
May 7, 2008
Thanks to all the people keeping me up to date with this whole shitstorm, I can't stand listening to Trump or any of his cronies so watching news/clips just isn't on the table for me at the moment. That goes double for those heroes willing to go to right-wing message boards and preparing me for the types of rebuttals to expect in the near term.

I'm not sure if keeping current with this thread is making me crazy or keeping me sane, but I just can't keep my head in the sand with so much on the line.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/1177590619516092416?s=20

Rudy gonna testify at the Monster Mash!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Two days later and the GOP still doesn’t have a coherent narrative.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Rabble posted:

So Trump’s defense right now is that Schiff was paraphrasing...lol

i mean their initial defense amounted to trump not literally saying "this is a quid pro quo".

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/shannonrwatts/status/1177586446401716226?s=19

Edit: beaten like a drum.

But...

https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/1177593566438285313?s=19

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 27, 2019

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

If guyger gets the charges dropped i will have even less faith in our judicial system then I already do and thats going to be very hard.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Yeah, whichever non-fascist gets into power next needs to take the NRA to task and should dig up every single bit of dirt on these greaseballs. Something tells me there’s a shitload of what the republicans would call “anti-American” sentiment in the NRA’s actions taken with foreign governments.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

All of those that work forces, are the same that burn crosses.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Any speculation on particular defense strategies from GOP has to take into consideration that this is just the beginning; we’ll have much more juicy stuff dripping out into the newsfeed for the foreseeable future, and beyond that, there’s Trump himself. In between these panic tweets of his he’s likely to try something unspeakably stupid.

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Mahoning posted:

I doubt it, but I think he should. His whole argument was premised on the fact that the President is for all practical purposes above the law because there is no way to file a whistleblower complaint against him without it being eventually squashed by the the President and/or DOJ. And the irony is that they didn't even squash it in this case! He just ignored the law stating he had to turn it over to the HIC within 7 days because "the President is not part of the intelligence community". What a complete idiot.

To be even clearer here: the strategy is going to be to try to work the "whistleblower isn't covered by the statute, so technically they're not afforded any protections at all" angle. That is why Trump saying "the whistleblower isn't a whistleblower" is dangerous.

I guarantee you that Barr is working on an opinion to exactly that effect that will be published as soon as they need to hit a panic button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Two days later and the GOP still doesn’t have a coherent narrative.

Think they are currently leaning towards this:

https://twitter.com/infinite_scream/status/1177595196940390400?s=21