Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Stop blindly testing wands I pickup before looking at the spells. Stop blindly testing wands I pickup before looking at the spells! STOP loving BLINDLY TESTING WANDS I PICKUP BEFORE LOOKING AT THE SPELLS ARRGGGHHH

i'm not gonna

edit: Haha, just noticed in the recommended system specs on steam "Processor: The more cores the better"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

goferchan posted:

Been doing some testing and it seems like the "trail" effects scale with the size of your projectile and the results are pretty drastic. Attach one to a medium or large energy orb and you can flood a room very very quickly. Got a water trail one combined with the perk that makes you electrocute everything around you and it was very fun until I got too close to a tank in the ice fortress and found out they cause a huge explosion if you electrocute them

The tentacle is also great for water and fire effects, if you hit it right you get a ton of water really quickly. I’d really like to get it on a water breathing run and just drown everything.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Someone linked me to Glass cannon + nuke, it's

uh

https://i.imgur.com/cJnh7vy.mp4

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

Found a wand at the very start that turned everything into a flaming gassy frozen hell whenever I shot it and it wound up killing me pretty quickly on level 2 so that was nice.

Bang3r
Oct 26, 2005

killed me.
tore me to pieces.
threw every piece into a fire.
Fun Shoe
I wish I had the gif thing turned on, I just found a wand that shot out 5 ways and each projectile connected to each other like a spider web so it filled whatever area I was in.. unfortunately parts of the webs remained and I got stuck then eaten by a worm before I could chainsaw my way out.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Hello, I am stupid. What wand stats dictate rate of fire and if projectiles fired are single or shotgun-esque?

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Samovar posted:

Hello, I am stupid. What wand stats dictate rate of fire and if projectiles fired are single or shotgun-esque?

I'm gonna use this image posted a few posts up as a reference, because it's convenient...

Look at the wand stats on the right side:
code:
Shuffle: Yes
Spells/Cast: 1
Cast delay: 0.10s
Rechrg. Time: 1.33s
Mana max 360
Mana chg Spd 103
Capacity 21
Spread 0.0 DEG
Rate of fire is mostly based off of Cast Delay and sort of also Recharge.

So the example wand has 21 slots, most of which are filled. When you have multiple spells in a wand, the way it works is the game will cast each spell in sequence, from left to right. The time in between casting individual spells is the Cast delay, and individual spells might modify the cast delay. Your basic Spark Bolt, for example, has a cast delay mod of +0.05s, so the above wand filled with 11 spark bolts would cast one, delay 0.15s, cast the next one, delay 0.15s, and so forth. Dumping all the spells will take about 1.5 seconds. Once all the spells are cast, the wand needs to recharge for whatever time is listed as the wand's "Rechrg. Time" before you can shoot again.

Bouncing Burst, by comparison, has a cast delay of -0.03s, so the same wand filled with 11 bouncing bursts would unload them all about twice as fast (0.7s delay), but would still take the same 1.33s to reload. When casting a spell, you always add the spell's stats to the wand you're casting it from (plus any modifiers that apply) to calculate the final stat.

If you want to rapid fire spells, you want a wand with a very small cast delay and recharge time. It's possible, with the right wand rolls and spells/modifiers, to get a cast delay and recharge time of 0, in which case the wand will dump all of its mana in an instant repeatedly casting the spells in it.

As far as firing projectiles shotgun-esque, there's a couple things that can do it.

In addition to spells, some wands have "Modifiers" equipped in their spell slots (or inherent to the wand) that can do things like fire two spells in a V shape, or fire five spells in a pentagram shape, or add a fire trail to the next spell cast. Some wands also have 2 or more Spells/Cast, which means the wand will ALWAYS fire off two (or more) spells per click. The very first slot in the wand above is a modifier that fires the next three spells in a T-shape. Some modifiers more directly just fire the next 2 or more spells and the random spread means the spells will come out in a shotgun pattern

Wands (and some spells) also have a Spread stat, which basically tells you how inaccurate the wand is - 0.0 DEG Spread means the wand's perfectly accurate by default, 5.0 DEG spread means that the wand might fire off by as much as 5 degrees from where you actually aimed it. A wand can have multiple Spells/Cast and a high Spread, meaning that even without any other modifiers it'll inherently fire multiple spells you put in it more or less like a shotgun.

An additional note on modifiers - most modifiers will only work on the next spell. If you have a fire trail modifier and three Spark Bolts, for example, the first spark bolt you cast will have a trail of fire following it, and the next two won't. The order in which you arrange spells in your wand matters. A modifier like Dualcast will cause only the next two spells after Dualcast (plus their individual modifiers) to cast simultaneously. Any spells before the Dualcast modifier, don't get affected by Dualcast, and any spells AFTER the two that are affected by Dualcast also don't get affected by Dualcast.

Wands that are "Shuffle: Yes" will treat the order in which the wand is shuffled randomly every time the wand recharges - this also means you can't guarantee that modifiers are going on the specific spells you want, so if you're trying to do something clever like use a Firebolt With Trigger to deliver an explosion spell at range, it's randomly not going to work right on a Shuffle wand and you will probably blow yourself up by accident.

Edit: Oh, additional note about any modifiers that fire multiple spells - the wand will not cast the same spell multiple times, it'll fire the next two (or three or however many) spells simultaneously. If you have a triplecast modifier and want to use it to fire three Firebolts, your wand needs 4 slots and has to be laid out like this: ( Triplecast - Firebolt - Firebolt - Firebolt). If you just do (Triplecast - Firebolt), you'll only get one firebolt out of the deal.

Olesh fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Sep 27, 2019

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Delay determines rate of fire - the lower the delay, the faster the spells cycle. Max mana and mana recharge speed also determines for how long you can keep it up.
There's a parameter that determines spell spread, but to fire several at once you need a formation component - I think it only affects one spell in your wand, unless the wand has its own special innate effect.

e: late, the post above mine has way better explanation

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Me:
"Hmm this Glass Cannon perk makes my explosions bigger. That'll make my starting bomb wand more useful!"

Reality:
https://i.imgur.com/D1uUnH9.mp4

no, no it did loving not make it more useful :mad:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

tildes posted:

The tentacle is also great for water and fire effects, if you hit it right you get a ton of water really quickly. I’d really like to get it on a water breathing run and just drown everything.

Speaking of tentacle, cool use for it-- if you can manage to pull an item out of the Holy Mountain shop and get it into the next zone, you can pick it up for free. I think this might be possible with gust of wind too?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Pigbuster posted:

Someone linked me to Glass cannon + nuke, it's

uh

https://i.imgur.com/cJnh7vy.mp4

lmfao

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/9wMGBAc.gifv

Not today, you bastard

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I'm really loving bad at this game, but I absolutely love it.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Noita is this image, the game

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

my general wish list for the game is for stuff like toxin to be less overtly deadly because it sucks to lose like at least a third of your health to touching a single pixel of poison, and also for the game to have a bunch of wild optional poo poo to conquer in a run so we can put all these crazy spells to use.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

And give me the option to edit wands everywhere, instead of it being a perk

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:yeah:

Poison is way too loving deadly and it dampens the flow of gameplay. You can't really afford to let it tick since it'll do more damage than a gun to the face.

They could at least make the perk more common. RNG, sure, but I've only even seen it in the shop two or three times over a ton of (albeit rather short) runs.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
yeah i can sorta understand why you’re not allowed to loot all the spells out of wands for balance reasons, but i’m not here to play a balanced game. i’m here to scald all my skin off with a pentagram pattern of arrow bolts with acid trails

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Once you've finished the mines and gone through the first temple or whatever it is to the coal pits, is there any way to get back up to the surface? Or do you need to luck into good items in the mines to go exploring the starting area?

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Once you've finished the mines and gone through the first temple or whatever it is to the coal pits, is there any way to get back up to the surface? Or do you need to luck into good items in the mines to go exploring the starting area?

you could burrow your way through the temple. i wouldn't advise it, though.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Venuz Patrol posted:

yeah i can sorta understand why you’re not allowed to loot all the spells out of wands for balance reasons, but i’m not here to play a balanced game. i’m here to scald all my skin off with a pentagram pattern of arrow bolts with acid trails

Maybe just disabling access to your spell bank but allowing you to move spells around in the wands themselves would be a good compromise.

For ailments in general I'd like to see some sort of build up meter or something. It could be a short build up but just a second to see oh I'm standing in poison better get out would go a long way.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

The other side of the lava lake on the first level leads to level 3, and you can get back that way, too.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Johnny Joestar posted:

my general wish list for the game is for stuff like toxin to be less overtly deadly because it sucks to lose like at least a third of your health to touching a single pixel of poison, and also for the game to have a bunch of wild optional poo poo to conquer in a run so we can put all these crazy spells to use.

the real irksome thing is that while toxin can kill you dead, it'll only reduce the health of enemies to 1, meaning that you can't use it for environmental deaths, only a general weakening of their health

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I’ve snuck around over the lava pit to the right of the mines, down a wall and back underneath it to the left through a huge empty area to the ice caves below the second temple. You could do that in reverse if you have massively boosted/unlimited flight

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

massively boosted by a few ounces of polymorph potion

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Over There posted:

I'm really loving bad at this game, but I absolutely love it.

Same.

Does anyone else swap the purple spark into wand 2 at the end of the mines for a fairly long lasting rapid fire weapon? This is my go-to move if nothing really tempting is on offer, I feel it can melt most badguys in level 2 so I can save more gold.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
if you get a bottle of water and the aoe freezing thing aura perk you can basically fly forever just making platforms of ice by spritzing yourself.

The Velvet Witch
Jul 24, 2017

"I don't have a "make better posts" spell, you're on your own."
Also mind that the spells themselves can add +[spell delay], I could fire the starting magic missile a lot faster than I could summon arrows

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Victory Position posted:

the real irksome thing is that while toxin can kill you dead, it'll only reduce the health of enemies to 1, meaning that you can't use it for environmental deaths, only a general weakening of their health

Toxin won't take your last hit point either, though if you're down to 1hp you're on borrowed time anyway.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Victory Position posted:

Toxin will never take you below 3-5hp. Hubris, on the other hand, is fatal.

Toxin ticks are 2hp per, so it not being able to outright kill you is the balancing factor vs. fire, which ticks for 1hp but can kill you dead. This also means that, if your health is low enough or you're desperate, you can dip into toxic sludge to put out a fire.

It seems like most of what I find are loaded with either bombs, starting wand missiles, or bouncers. Which is great, don't get me wrong, but I'd love to get more interesting stuff like rain and digging more commonly.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Clark Nova posted:

I’ve snuck around over the lava pit to the right of the mines, down a wall and back underneath it to the left through a huge empty area to the ice caves below the second temple. You could do that in reverse if you have massively boosted/unlimited flight

You can do that with regular levitation. The vent wall has all those bumps sticking out that you can land on to rest.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind
Here's my Noita review.

I'm quite enjoying the game, messing around with the world and enemies and spells is really fun but there are a few frustrating aspects I hope the devs hammer out over the course of this early access period.

I like how aggressive and fast and varied your foes are but I'm not as happy with the implementation of the fire and acid mechanics. I understand that they're meant to be punitive to force you to pay attention to your surroundings but sometimes a few stray orange pixels are enough to light you up like a christmas tree, and not only is it hard to gauge how long the DoT is gonna last and how bad it's going to, unless there happens to be water nearby there is nothing you can do about it which feels really bad.
The "empty a potion, fill with water" trick exists but it's unintuitive, fussy & boring to do and sometimes you just get screwed over by RNG and don't see any potions at all. I wish you'd just start with a bottle of water by default.

In general this game is vulnerable to severe RNG swings and sometimes just refuses to hand you the tools you need to keep pace with the high level of challenge. Level generation is generally great, with one exception: The spot where you drop from the inter-level safe zone is prone to leaving you super exposed with no place to escape except the perfectly vertical shaft you came from, which is fun if you're immediately surrounded by 10 flying gunners. That opening should really offer you more geometry and cover.

Like many roguelikes, the early bit you end up doing most often is also the most boring one because you have so few tools to play with, which isn't great. The game is oddly prone to arbitrarily constricting your decision space in a way that feels ill-fit with its sandbox nature; The spells are cool and great fun to mess around with but being unable to edit wands mid-level for example discourages experimentation and limits tactical choices for little gain that I can see. I'm not fond of the random perk choice either, it was my least favourite mechanic in Nuclear Throne to begin with, but here you also get 1 less to choose from and some of them are seemingly worthless or borderline trap choices (like Freeze Field, which has niche uses but makes some things *more* dangerous in practice).
I'd like a few guaranteed drops near the entrance to give you fun choices earlier and smooth out the "RNG curve" a bit.

Enemies giving double gold when killed by the environment is a brilliant mechanic and scheming to drop something heavy on their heads or blow them up is great fun. However, gold despawns way too fast, is often hard to see in the remaining splattery mess and is prone to landing in puddles of acid or fire, making it annoying to recover.

On a purely positive note, even in day 3 of early access there is a *ton* of content, I feel I've barely scratched the surface so far and even in the early levels I keep being surprised by new stuff still.

Basically, Noita is great at presenting an interesting world & foes to deal with but its attempts to construct difficulty on top of that often feel artificial and unnecessary. It's already worth getting but it has a lot more potential that I'm hoping it'll live up to with the coming updates.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Terry van Feleday posted:

Level generation is generally great, with one exception: The spot where you drop from the inter-level safe zone is prone to leaving you super exposed with no place to escape except the perfectly vertical shaft you came from, which is fun if you're immediately surrounded by 10 flying gunners.

Sometimes the level 2 entrance will straight up drop you into a vat of poison and honestly I kinda respect that.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Yeah right now the game is extremely fun to play but not quite so fun to play to win. Which is just fine with me at this point, honestly, they've got plenty of time to work out balancing and difficulty issues. The core game is so loving cool.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

I got my first win.

Mid game I got the mild homing shots perk and used a party favor shotgun wand of orbs and stars to snipe all the jetpack guys from a distance.

Late game I put lightning bolt and energy shield on a wand with two slots and good stats and that was enough to carry me through.

I have an appreciation for the slime cloud spell as an instant fire extinguisher.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

^^^all of the dousing clouds are fantastic.

Some kind of storage would be pretty rad, maybe make it hidden and "hard" to get to like the Proto Chest in Nuclear Throne.

All-Seeing Eye is unsurprisingly, really good.

BaconCopter fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 27, 2019

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

"Will the RNG let me have fun this playthrough?"

I've had too many runs where I scour the first level and come up with nothing but wimpy, slow, shuffle wands with one or two spells that require other spells to be useful.

The runs where I find a couple of the huge 15+ slot wands with a dozen ways to blow myself up just past the entrance are great, though.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
got a wand that makes blood, one pixel at a time, with 250 ammo. put it on the bomb wand and it put me out of fire nearly instantly

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

BaconCopter posted:

All-Seeing Eye is unsurprisingly, really good.

Yeah it's excellent. Sometimes I go kill the worm in the tree just so I can drink its blood and get the effect on the first floor. Also while typing this I realized I can probably bottle up some worm blood and have a reusable source of it without taking up a wand slot. Holy poo poo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Qylvaran posted:

"Will the RNG let me have fun this playthrough?"

I've had too many runs where I scour the first level and come up with nothing but wimpy, slow, shuffle wands with one or two spells that require other spells to be useful.

The runs where I find a couple of the huge 15+ slot wands with a dozen ways to blow myself up just past the entrance are great, though.

Yeah I'm alternating between really digging this game and feeling frustrated because, realistically, 85% of runs never really give you the opportunity to experiment with spells in a fun way. Most runs either give me items that don't stack well, or too few items, or I'll accidentally touch a pixel of poison in a bad spot and lose all of my health walking around trying to find water.