Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I have a 2012 XC60 and I’ve never had that problem. It will auto brake for parking lot gates if I come up too fast but I don’t consider that false really.

The laser sensor is behind the mirror, the plastics come off easy enough then you can get a thin cloth sheet in there to clean the glass.

I bet if the windshield were poorly replaced or the sensor maligned it could trigger. As for the A/C even in “manual” the manual is based on the fan speed and orientation but it still uses the temperature you’ve dialed in. I find that for the size of the cabin it is not always the best at cooling or dehumidifying, but it does not take humidity into account when operating as far as I am aware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I'm getting some wind noise from the sunroof and gently bumping the switch to raise it (vent style vs sliding open) will stop it.

Is resetting the home position something I can do in VIDA or should I be looking more at seals/weatherstripping?

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Blech, cylinder 3 misfire on my 2012 S60. Seems to suggest it's time for new coils and/or plugs.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

Mo nannies mo problems. I'm really not interested in the driver assistance stuff they put on new cars now, specifically for the things you're talking about. It's probably just a dirty sensor or one that needs to be replaced, but yeah. I don't want my car stopping itself, especially when there's no reason to.

My ‘19 XC40 has tried to kill me twice in the past couple days with the collision assist. Yesterday it started brake checking me as I was changing lanes to pass a car because slamming on the brakes as you try and pass someone is a great idea. And again today when the forward collision assist slammed on when there were no cars within 100 yards of me. Good times.

Love the car other than that though. Oh and my climate control speeds are broken. The fan levels are 1, 2, and hurricane. Settings 3, 4, and 5 blow at the same jet engine level.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Shrapnig posted:

My ‘19 XC40 has tried to kill me twice in the past couple days

Love the car other than that though. .

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Folks, something is wrong.

This morning, my car started saying "low coolant, stop safely"

So i pulled over.

Checked the coolant. Yeah it looks a little low. But i think i can make it to an autozone.

Get back in, start the car, now my old friend "windscreen sensor blocked " pops up. And it won't go away like it normally does.

So i clear it. And then TPMS pops up. For all 4 tires.

All within 3 minutes of 1st starting the car this morning.

Wth? Whats going on?

'15 S60, T5 premier

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I never updated on the M66 oil change and brake pad swaps. Was super easy and the gear oil was pretty dark, so hopefully I have helped prolong the life of the gearbox. The brake pads felt great as well.

Something odd has recently popped up (2014 V70 D3). A intermittent check engine light that doesn't produce any codes using the iCarsoft code reader I bought. It comes and goes, mainly at start up. Haven't really heard anything odd from the engine. It's a "Have engine serviced" warrning. The car was serviced by the dealer only a ~month and the warning has been coming on for 2+ weeks. Some internet reading led me to believe that it might be that they have overfilled the oil slightly. Haven't had a chance to check the oil level though.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

FormatAmerica posted:

Blech, cylinder 3 misfire on my 2012 S60. Seems to suggest it's time for new coils and/or plugs.

Yeah that was it. New plug + coil on #3 today and it's working a lot better, will swap the rest of the plugs this weekend as I *might* have been on the original ones ~82k miles in...

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

The Bananana posted:

Folks, something is wrong.

This morning, my car started saying "low coolant, stop safely"

So i pulled over.

Checked the coolant. Yeah it looks a little low. But i think i can make it to an autozone.

Get back in, start the car, now my old friend "windscreen sensor blocked " pops up. And it won't go away like it normally does.

So i clear it. And then TPMS pops up. For all 4 tires.

All within 3 minutes of 1st starting the car this morning.

Wth? Whats going on?

'15 S60, T5 premier

The simplest possible solution is it needs a new battery. Batteries these days last longer but if the car is hard on it, it might be done. On the older models I know a weak but still functional battery can really play havoc with the modules and throw a ton of codes. On my 01 the entire instrument cluster would conk out on startup even though the battery started the car. It just dipped voltage enough to gently caress stuff up. I'd probably swap it even if it tests good.

Otherwise it points at a bad module of some kind.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Well um,

Do y'all think tpms would trigger if 3 of my tires were at 30 psi, and 1 was at 32?

They're supposed to be at 36, per the manual.

Cause if so, my car was justified in throwing all those codes.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

The Bananana posted:

Well um,

Do y'all think tpms would trigger if 3 of my tires were at 30 psi, and 1 was at 32?

They're supposed to be at 36, per the manual.

Cause if so, my car was justified in throwing all those codes.

I think TPMS usually goes off at 15-20% out of range depending on manufacturer.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Partycat posted:

I have a 2012 XC60 and I’ve never had that problem. It will auto brake for parking lot gates if I come up too fast but I don’t consider that false really.

The laser sensor is behind the mirror, the plastics come off easy enough then you can get a thin cloth sheet in there to clean the glass.

I bet if the windshield were poorly replaced or the sensor maligned it could trigger. As for the A/C even in “manual” the manual is based on the fan speed and orientation but it still uses the temperature you’ve dialed in. I find that for the size of the cabin it is not always the best at cooling or dehumidifying, but it does not take humidity into account when operating as far as I am aware.

I'll bring this up to them for the auto braking.

As far as the AC it just doesn't work, or it will, I have to cycle the button for it to work sometimes. Its obvious when it is working and when it isn't. Cold dry air vs warm humid air, and this would be at night, in 70 degree weather.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 27, 2019

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

Hello thread I've never posted in but always wanted to! I need to buy a car for work in the next couple months and I was all set to lease a new VW Golf Sportwagen when I started looking at used Volvos. I drive about 10k a year and have to carry a 6' A-frame ladder a lot for my job. My current work vehicle is a Nissan Rogue which I hate (because it sucks) and the ladder and all my tools/bags etc fit in it just fine but it drives like a sleepy hog. I have an Audi S4 as a personal car and I'd like something that drives a little better and can get out of its own way a little more.

I have my eye on the V60, maybe a 2015~ or so model although I'm having trouble finding one in my price range (sub $20k) with AWD. Gonna try to schedule a test drive next week so I can see if it'll fit a ladder but I was wondering if anyone could explain the trim packages to me? I'm seeing T5 Premier, T5 Platinum and T6 and it's all very confusing? Also I read about the Polestar flash you can have done - do these engines take tunes well? I'm not above flashing some horsepower into a work car even if it means sacrificing some MPG.

Any big maintenance bugbears that would mean buying a used Volvo for work where reliability is pretty darn important are a bad idea? The VW has issues with sunroofs I read, for example which should be no big deal if I lease one without.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Regarding the tune: It should be perfectly fine as you can Polestar tune it without voiding your warranty on a brand new Volvo. I'd check the boot space in the V60 properly though as I've heard many complaints of it not being big enough for what the car is.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
I have an 08 c30 and none of the 12v outlets seem deep enough to work? Absolutely none of my 12v car poo poo fits in the one by my gear shifter nor the one in the back of the console. Am I missing any?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I had to shim a few ac adapters before in my 07. Most seem to fit better now.

:iiam:

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I've had a few different chargers in my 08 c30 now (kept bouncing different ones between the car and truck) and haven't had an issue yet... Still haven't driven it since the trans exploded tho lol

e: didn't quite get what your question was there, I believe it's just the two. Maybe pull a socket out of a random GM product in the junkyard and modify the hole to fit?

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

I assume you have to rip up the console to change the 12v outlets? If I'm at that stage, I might as well swap out the 8-track player they got in there to something a little more modern or is that needlessly complicated on volvos? It looks like it would be needlessly complicated.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

It's very needlessly complicated. It uses an optical digital network connection to talk to both the car and the audio components. So if you take it out you lose HVAC and some car functions like door lock programming, but you can't easily add stuff to what's there either.

There are some aftermarket input adapters you can add depending on year and audio package, but otherwise you're stuck putting in a parallel system somewhere.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

:suicide:

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I’ve got a rad squeak while driving that sounds like rubber or metal rubbing and all I can come down to is maybe a failed shock mount or something .

I’m moments from going to the dealer to have them figure it out since I can’t , and it’s due for inspection , oil , and brake fluid change anyway. Man I wish I had more space to work on my car .

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Post to your local Volvo Facebook group to find a better mechanic. Although there will be a few dealer sycophants, you'll find one or two places.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Ehh, the stock radio is pretty damned good in these. I find the Dynaudio badged ones a little overprocessed/Bose-y sounding but not obnoxiously so. Add a bt adapter to the Aux-in line and you're pmuch set.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
My 12V inflator and my Anker USB charger both work fine in my V50’s various 12V ports.

Speaking of my V50 it had a blown rear shock that I finally got around to replacing last weekend. The rear end had been feeling twitchy lately but I didn’t realize how badly it was affecting the handling until I swapped it out. It’s totally planted and rock solid again. In spite of all the frustrating things about the P1 cars the chassis is really well tuned and it’s nice to have it back to 100%.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

I'll just leave this here for drooling purposes:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2007-volvo-v70r/

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

LloydDobler posted:

Yet they won't list mine :(

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

LloydDobler posted:

I wish Volvo had not moved to a more digital dash readout, the following models dashes have not aged well compared to yours.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

LloydDobler posted:

omg...this is the car I wish I could have bought back in 2013...one year older than mine and in blue instead of silver.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

If it was stick it'd be the perfect unicorn. Mine's stick but not the Atacama (Orange) leather, which is the rarest of rare.

This guy has been trying to sell this car for 4 years and has been laughed off of swedespeed because he keeps asking ridiculous money for it. Like over $25k. Good to see a no reserve auction. He might get $20k, but more likely high teens. He's already at $12k with 5 days to go so good on him.

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
KBB puts it at about $13k value if it's really in as good as shape as the ad suggests.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

flightless greeb posted:

Hello thread I've never posted in but always wanted to! I need to buy a car for work in the next couple months and I was all set to lease a new VW Golf Sportwagen when I started looking at used Volvos. I drive about 10k a year and have to carry a 6' A-frame ladder a lot for my job. My current work vehicle is a Nissan Rogue which I hate (because it sucks) and the ladder and all my tools/bags etc fit in it just fine but it drives like a sleepy hog. I have an Audi S4 as a personal car and I'd like something that drives a little better and can get out of its own way a little more.

I have my eye on the V60, maybe a 2015~ or so model although I'm having trouble finding one in my price range (sub $20k) with AWD. Gonna try to schedule a test drive next week so I can see if it'll fit a ladder but I was wondering if anyone could explain the trim packages to me? I'm seeing T5 Premier, T5 Platinum and T6 and it's all very confusing? Also I read about the Polestar flash you can have done - do these engines take tunes well? I'm not above flashing some horsepower into a work car even if it means sacrificing some MPG.

Any big maintenance bugbears that would mean buying a used Volvo for work where reliability is pretty darn important are a bad idea? The VW has issues with sunroofs I read, for example which should be no big deal if I lease one without.

I Polestar tuned my T6 XC70 and I don't notice any difference in my gas mileage from before I did the tune, if I keep driving responsibly. I did have to adjust how I drive the car though as the tune changes when the power (and fuel consumption) kicks in.

You will also never have a problem going uphill.

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

Partycat posted:

I’ve got a rad squeak while driving that sounds like rubber or metal rubbing and all I can come down to is maybe a failed shock mount or something .

I’m moments from going to the dealer to have them figure it out since I can’t , and it’s due for inspection , oil , and brake fluid change anyway. Man I wish I had more space to work on my car .
Is this while turning or on bumps?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Could be bumps or uneven road surface - not any obvious bumps. Like rolling up the street at 15-20 you’d hear it

flightless greeb
Jan 28, 2016

mikerock posted:

I Polestar tuned my T6 XC70 and I don't notice any difference in my gas mileage from before I did the tune, if I keep driving responsibly. I did have to adjust how I drive the car though as the tune changes when the power (and fuel consumption) kicks in.

You will also never have a problem going uphill.

I finally got to test drive a V60 yesterday, found a 2016 one for sale in my price range. The power and handling were all adequate but I have to say I was a little nonplussed with the interior and center console and, like the previous poster mentioned, the cargo space was pretty limited. Would be a really tight squeeze for the current set-up of equipment I need to carry around semi-regularly. Might end up waiting till next work car on the Volvo since I absolutely adore the 2020 V60 but can't come close to affording it right now.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Heh, so...

The other half of the bottle of antifreeze i used leaked onto the back seat floor mat. Luckily, it seems to be contained to the mat itself, so now, the question is:

What's the best way to clean the mat?

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I've had good results with a wet vac. Scrub, dilute, vacuum up, repeat until clean enough.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Invalido posted:

I've had good results with a wet vac. Scrub, dilute, vacuum up, repeat until clean enough.

Pretty much, although I also like to use a pressure washer.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Pressure washer not too rough on the fibers of the mat?

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

The Bananana posted:

Pressure washer not too rough on the fibers of the mat?

It's fine. Maybe don't jam the nozzle right up against the fabric, though I think that's probably fine too, possibly depending on the pressure and nozzle used. I've hosed down rugs and a reclining chair with no ill effects. I only ever pressure washed car seats and floor mats that were removed from the car first (guess I'm afraid to get water where I don't want it, wet vacuuming gets kind of tedious) but those were fine too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

The DIY spray car washes that I go to have clips on the wall so you can hang your floor mats and blast them. More than once I've seen a full set hanging there because someone forgot them. But yeah, pressure wash is a good way to clean them.