Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est
In Europe it received zero coverage, or not to the extent that I saw anything. It was word of mouth. I first saw EQ as a teenager, when I went over to a friend's house and he was playing it. He told me what it was and had me make a new character, so I made a wood elf druid. First thing I did was run that guy off the platform, crater, respawn somewhere else entirely, with no gear and no clue what happened or what to do next. I told him I'd never play that poo poo game, let alone pay every month for it.

Few weeks later I'm over at his place again and he's run a level 3 Erudite enchanter all the way to Qeynos, and he's standing at the gates trying to get a bind. He has to go to the bathroom so he tells me to mind his character for a few minutes.

Next thing I know I'm the designated charmer in our first AoW kill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i think i saw it at electronics boutique right after it came out. kunark was the first game i ordered online - best buy only had the strategy guide on release.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Relayer posted:

The thing is they literally would do this if they could. There are limitations to what they can make fully classic due to the modern (titanium I think?) client they are forced to use. Hence why we will most likely never have classic sky graphics. I miss those quake style clouds :(

I've never understood why they're forced to use Titanium. Surely they could rebase the server against an older client?

After playing TAKP, the P99/Titanium stuff feels seriously less classic.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

cmdrk posted:

I've never understood why they're forced to use Titanium. Surely they could rebase the server against an older client?

After playing TAKP, the P99/Titanium stuff feels seriously less classic.

I have to assume there's some technical reason that they can't, otherwise they would have a long time ago. I think it has something to do with the most fundamental code being stock EQEmu code and I *think* that only works with newer clients, so they kind of have to just hamfist some things to make it as close to classic as they can. Also they are volunteering to do this and they make basically zero money so I can't give them too much poo poo.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
i am going to play this when green launches in october. i consign my life to dust

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Venuz Patrol posted:

i am going to play this when green launches in october. i consign my life to dust

It was nice knowing you for this one post

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Relayer posted:

Also they are volunteering to do this and they make basically zero money so I can't give them too much poo poo.

That's very true. Keeping the neckbeards happy is a weird kind of volunteering. I wonder if it was some kind of community service sentencing.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

cmdrk posted:

After playing TAKP
P99 development started a long time before TAKP, and like Relayer said it was based on EQEMU which uses the Titanium client. Nilbog basically wanted to start a classic-as-possible EQEMU server and Rogean (who runs EQEMU) supported it. TAKP and P2002 are outgrowths of a combination of other P99 devs wanting an even more classic environment and the mac server getting shut down, which didn't happen until P99 had been live for almost 4 years.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

aparmenideanmonad posted:

P99 development started a long time before TAKP, and like Relayer said it was based on EQEMU which uses the Titanium client. Nilbog basically wanted to start a classic-as-possible EQEMU server and Rogean (who runs EQEMU) supported it. TAKP and P2002 are outgrowths of a combination of other P99 devs wanting an even more classic environment and the mac server getting shut down, which didn't happen until P99 had been live for almost 4 years.

By the way, if it is of any interest to anyone, p02 has moved beyond the 2002 timeline with the launch of LoY and has become Wayfarer's Haven. Nothing else has changed: same devs and admins, and very few players who pretty much all multibox 3 characters.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
So I've been messing around with Classic WoW a bit, having not played WoW since Classic was all that existed. It's been a fun little trip down memory lane, but I remember my friend getting a Voodoo2 and showing me this game back when it launched, and so the game has a certain nostalgia to me, not to mention it was probably the single biggest influence on the development of WoW when it launched. Not even sure how I found this thread, I think someone name dropped it in the main WoW thread.

Is there going to be a goon guild and presence on the new server when it launches? I figure it might be fun to mess around as part of the community here but I doubt I want to spend too much time with people who have been playing this non stop for a decade already and are going to be raiding in a week.

Rabbi
Nov 20, 2002

Marketing New Brain posted:

Is there going to be a goon guild and presence on the new server when it launches? I figure it might be fun to mess around as part of the community here but I doubt I want to spend too much time with people who have been playing this non stop for a decade already and are going to be raiding in a week.
When I played on Blue a few years ago, the goon presence was basically non-existent. There was technically a goon guild, but it was just a handful of people that mostly just played this version of the game: https://www.twitch.tv/p99ecauctions. I'm playing with 4 friends, and Sankis has a few people playing I think. None of us are the ultra-hardcore kind of people that would be leading a big EQ guild though. My plan is to find a fun, already-established guild to join.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

Meatgrinder posted:

Few weeks later I'm over at his place again and he's run a level 3 Erudite enchanter all the way to Qeynos, and he's standing at the gates trying to get a bind. He has to go to the bathroom so he tells me to mind his character for a few minutes.

My buddy and I tried running his dwarf warrior through butcherblock mountains solely by using the cloth map that came with Everquest as a guide. We ended up running up the side of a hill, glitching through the map and falling to our death.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
My brother wanted to make a Dwarf Paladin with his first character but he couldn't find the guild so he made a Dwarf Warrior instead.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Yeah, there may be more activity for Green but I doubt its enough to really justify / fill a guild.

I love EQ and 1999 but I play sporadically here and there. Not consistently.

I'd expect goons to be playing in Green but probably not a ton 24/7

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
A few of us in the discord have been talking about making some mage squads for launch. I'd be down to do another goon guild but with mages.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
P99 goon guilds are usually populated for a while at low to mid level ranges but then people bail to join raiding guilds. You really have to be a certain type of masochist to lead a good raiding guild so it makes sense... not that there aren't masochistic goons, don't get me wrong.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

aparmenideanmonad posted:

that makes a lot of sense, I guess I shouldn't really try to compare them as apples-to-apples with that in mind.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Relayer posted:

P99 goon guilds are usually populated for a while at low to mid level ranges but then people bail to join raiding guilds. You really have to be a certain type of masochist to lead a good raiding guild so it makes sense... not that there aren't masochistic goons, don't get me wrong.

P99 in 2019 is guaranteed masochism for everyone involved.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

Anarch posted:

P99 in 2019 is guaranteed masochism for everyone involved.

You have a point.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I probably log in to see the madness, but I won't be worried about leveling. I won't stay long.

Vith
Mar 21, 2008

Smile
I'm going to play, or at least... to play for a while. It makes me feel pretty excited for some reason. I've tried P99 before, and I actually love the fact everything is so incredibly old, with no maps. I couldn't play back in the day because I didn't have a credit card (I was a child). I remember a guy in the irc telling me about it, and how the owners of my video club played it so much that the whole business eventually died.

Wow classic sparked my interest in P99 again, and that made me research (again too) retail everquest, wurm, meridian 59, osrs...

I'm surprised that after a million expansions for everquest it doesn't seem to have much lore, at least I was unable to find any sources as deep as wowpedia is for wow (and no books, literally nothing). Understanding the complexities games that offer little help, needing external resources, is something I enjoy. Extensive wikis where clicking on an article just leads you to a page with ten more links of concepts you don't know. Like investigating dwarf fortress or aurora. It makes me feel OH THE POTENTIAL this thing has.

I'm also surprised by the level of immersion this old game made me feel when I tried it for a little bit. Simply standing outside of a city, looking at the pitch-dark night, some characters using torches around me, and a storm in the sky. There is something in the ancient graphics that together with the darkness, primitive mechanics and sounds that makes it very interesting. It reminds me of certain locations in the old morrowind, but worse looking. Maybe it simply reminds me of things I played as a child, and that's why I feel those things.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

If we’re reminiscing about Everquest, my strongest memory is a friend coming over and us stripping my level 10ish halfling naked and then trying to make the run from Rivervale to Freeport. This was EQ vanilla - maybe a month or two after the game was released. There were no maps or anything, I had just heard somewhere what the rough path was supposed to be. It took us like four hours to get like two zones away from Freeport or something and then a gryffon clipped inside a house and murdered me. I think I even petitioned a GM about that and got a big old “gently caress off”.

That did it for me (in a positive way, for whatever hosed up, brain damaged reason). I have always loved EQ. I never got very far in it, as I had rolled a warrior and holy christ were they boring to play, but man did I love the game. I come back to it every few months. There’s just something about this stupid terribly made game that I really really love.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Vith posted:

I'm surprised that after a million expansions for everquest it doesn't seem to have much lore, at least I was unable to find any sources as deep as wowpedia is for wow (and no books, literally nothing).

i like this aspect. the only lore thing i really remember is there used to be a combine empire and you see its ruins around. i wanna say luclin delved into it more but velious was the last expansion i played.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I was recently reading about a few Luclin quests and I think the Combine empire all teleported to the moon and couldn't come back?

Anyway there is a TON of lore in the game but it's almost all in the quests and some precious few ingame books (mostly involved with said quests). I doubt any of it has been made into a wiki at this point because wiki's didn't exist back in the day when people were obsessing over it. There were also GM events where lore was delivered by performance but good loving luck finding if any of that was documented.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Vith posted:

I'm surprised that after a million expansions for everquest it doesn't seem to have much lore, at least I was unable to find any sources as deep as wowpedia is for wow (and no books, literally nothing). Understanding the complexities games that offer little help, needing external resources, is something I enjoy. Extensive wikis where clicking on an article just leads you to a page with ten more links of concepts you don't know. Like investigating dwarf fortress or aurora. It makes me feel OH THE POTENTIAL this thing has.

There was in-game lore though most people gloss over it, but also quite a bit came from supplementary materials like the instructions or the pen & paper RPG. The Verant Vision lore actually ran out at the end of Planes of Power; you can tell because the Vanilla through Power cycle actually mimics a full D&D campaign. After that SOE just threw stuff together because money.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I want to play on the new P99 server, but I just don't have the time. I had 163 days on my Shaman when we were raiding Tacvi, server first on Fenin Ro. I was fueled by coke and pot and I don't regret a thing. Fun times!

I may log in just to witness the chaos.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

If I end up installing this to play on Green, I doubt I'd have much time to play. If I'm a brand-new player that just wants to mess around and level and maybe make some money, what class should I roll? I'm thinking Druid for being solo-friendly, not as gear-dependent, and being able to port people for cash.

e: also I've been looking up the original soundtrack on Youtube and I forgot just how good it actually is. Really solid for being put together with nothing but MIDI instruments. The Freeport Gates theme is still my favorite.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 26, 2019

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

quote is not edit

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

DizzyBum posted:

If I end up installing this to play on Green, I doubt I'd have much time to play. If I'm a brand-new player that just wants to mess around and level and maybe make some money, what class should I roll? I'm thinking Druid for being solo-friendly, not as gear-dependent, and being able to port people for cash.

e: also I've been looking up the original soundtrack on Youtube and I forgot just how good it actually is. Really solid for being put together with nothing but MIDI instruments. The Freeport Gates theme is still my favorite.

i def had a fun time leveling a druid on red solo, it's easy enough and yeah, the mobility is really, really convenient.

also i think the change where dots only do half damage on creatures that are moving doesn't get patched in until later?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I'm very likely to log in to green at launch just to WITNESS ME but I doubt I'll level that much. I level reaaaaaaal slow on blue here and there when I get the itch, but I just hopped on classic wow recently and while it was fun to get back into, once I got up into the 20s it just didn't feel worth my free time. I've got so much more poo poo to do in my life now than when I was younger :(

Vith posted:

I'm also surprised by the level of immersion this old game made me feel when I tried it for a little bit. Simply standing outside of a city, looking at the pitch-dark night, some characters using torches around me, and a storm in the sky. There is something in the ancient graphics that together with the darkness, primitive mechanics and sounds that makes it very interesting. It reminds me of certain locations in the old morrowind, but worse looking. Maybe it simply reminds me of things I played as a child, and that's why I feel those things.

Its hard to separate the nostalgia, but I truly think there's something to be said about more primitive graphics requiring you to use more of your imagination.

Its almost like playing D&D with miniatures, they help you visualize but they're not the full scene. You still imagine some of it. You see sprites or low-poly models and your brain kinda fills in what that thing is really like.

But with modern games, everything's so detailed, there's nothing left to imagine.

Its like horror movies like Alien where you don't see the monster, it could be anything, then when you see it in full lighting you realize its just a guy in a rubber suit. The darkness, the mystery, is more magical than anything we could actually build.

Its what I like about the Dark Souls series, keeping some things in the dark and even being intentionally vague or contradictory lets you as a player have more agency in the story and imagine things.

Its like reading a book vs watching a movie.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002
I definitely think there is more to it than strictly nostalgia because I also played EQ2 from launch hardcore up until the first expansion, in 2004, only five years after EQ1's launch. And I almost never think about it. Even the luclin expansion I have no real nostalgia for and I was like 16 when that released. Excess familiarity does erode the experience but there has to be a reason so many newcomers today like it. Yes the graphics are old as poo poo, but there are lots and lots of lovely modern games that have amazing graphics, so that can't be the factor either.

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

Green is going to be the biggest loving shitshow in history, and I want no part of it. 2000 screaming neckbeards fighting over 12 mobs sounds like the opposite of fun.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I got everything set up this morning and rolled a half-elf druid on Blue, starting in Kelethin. :toot: Beat the poo poo out of some bats and wasps and bought some cloth armor and a couple spells. Just like old times! And I didn't even hit 2 yet! I think a lot of my playtime is going to be getting reacquainted with the UI and the early game so I can hit the ground running on Green.

I wanted to do a human druid, but that starts you in Qeynos and I have no idea where the druid trainers and spell vendors are. Would I have to run to Surefall Glade?

Also, can I change up my keybinds? I would really prefer to use WASD for movement instead of the arrow keys.

Pratan posted:

Green is going to be the biggest loving shitshow in history, and I want no part of it. 2000 screaming neckbeards fighting over 12 mobs sounds like the opposite of fun.

I dunno, I kinda want to experience it exactly for that reason. :getin:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

DizzyBum posted:

I wanted to do a human druid, but that starts you in Qeynos and I have no idea where the druid trainers and spell vendors are. Would I have to run to Surefall Glade?

Also, can I change up my keybinds? I would really prefer to use WASD for movement instead of the arrow keys.

Yes, Surefall glade. I like the flavor of druids and rangers not hanging in the city but it is a bit of a run from queynos.

Should be able to rebind?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Yes, Surefall glade. I like the flavor of druids and rangers not hanging in the city but it is a bit of a run from queynos.

Should be able to rebind?

Okay, looks like Alt+O lets you rebind keys. I figured there was a way to do it, it's just been so long since I played this.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

DizzyBum posted:

The only problem with doing this is if you hit enter to type stuff and then need to move, you have to exit the chat buffer via hitting enter, either losing the text you typed (shift down to clear and enter to disabled) or send whatever halfway completed text you have.

EQ has the most primitive text interface and it's on of the most painful parts imo.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Yeah but it means you get those awesome moments where someone stands still for 60 seconds and then "Soandso says, 'WWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSAASASASDASDASDASDASDASDAD'."

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Slim Killington posted:

Yeah but it means you get those awesome moments where someone stands still for 60 seconds and then "Soandso says, 'WWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSAASASASDASDASDASDASDASDAD'."

yesssssss

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

This article might be appreciated by this thread. The history of EQ - seems pretty thorough!

https://www.shacknews.com/article/110494/better-together-stories-of-everquest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Its hard to separate the nostalgia, but I truly think there's something to be said about more primitive graphics requiring you to use more of your imagination.

Its almost like playing D&D with miniatures, they help you visualize but they're not the full scene. You still imagine some of it. You see sprites or low-poly models and your brain kinda fills in what that thing is really like.

But with modern games, everything's so detailed, there's nothing left to imagine.

Its like horror movies like Alien where you don't see the monster, it could be anything, then when you see it in full lighting you realize its just a guy in a rubber suit. The darkness, the mystery, is more magical than anything we could actually build.

Its what I like about the Dark Souls series, keeping some things in the dark and even being intentionally vague or contradictory lets you as a player have more agency in the story and imagine things.

Its like reading a book vs watching a movie.

This doesn't really make any sense to me. Like, okay, I don't have any sort of the generic 'brain fills in' thing you're talking about so whatever... but you undermine that by talking about Alien (which, by the way, was known for its very ahead of its time visual effects so it's a pretty terrible example of 'a guy in a rubber suit') and how its, in game terms, bad graphics ruins things. Why doesn't that work with video games? Aren't you seeing the guy in the rubber suit with lovely sprites or low-poly models then and realizing there's nothing but a man in a rubber suit there? Why do bad video game graphics magically make you see everything in a completely different light than bad movie graphics?

I'm pretty certain the answer is 'nostalgia'. Or you just want an excuse for why you like old graphics. I like how Doom and Majora's Mask looks a ton, but I don't have any illusions that it's some mystical bad-graphics quality that allows this.