Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Majorian posted:

I don't believe the House Democrats, as a group, have the collective stomach for a second round of impeachment investigations and hearings. I think Pelosi et al. will say, "welp, we tried that, we're not going to waste our time or the American People's time anymore."

If you add Trump's financial crimes or whatever into the mix, it wont matter and no one will pay attention to them at all.

If his other crimes get their own day in the news for months at a time, they would matter, people would pay attention to them, even if there's never a 2nd impeachment vote. Like, the lack of an impeachment vote doesn't make us go "oh darn those other investigations never hurt Trump at all." Yes, they do, if its bad news blaring on TV, the voters still hear it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
I think it’s also notable that with Russiagate, it was driven by Russian intelligence so Russia knew and used the language / code beforehand to make it muddled if they were exposed. With Ukraine, it’s the Trump clown show attempting to extort Ukraine and they make the amateur mistakes and go for outright stating the quid pro quo when Ukraine plays dumb.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I guess this is what they are going with?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Majorian posted:

The point isn't to make the charges against Trump himself stronger, it's to take more people down with him. (and to keep beating the entire GOP over the head with a hammer until election day)

loving yes.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I very much wish more than one of them had one

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Zotix posted:

Mid July - Trump tells his Chief of Staff to withhold $400 million in military aid for Ukraine.

July 24 - Mueller's last testimony

July 25 - Ukraine phonecall

July 28 - Dan Coats (Director of National Intelligence) resigns because he feels his duties are at odds with Trump.

July 28 - Trump announces Ratcliffe as his pick.

Aug. 2 - Ratcliffe denounces his pick less than a week later amidst criticisms of partisan loyalty and resume padding.

Aug. 8 - Trump picks Maguire.

Aug. 8 - Dan Coats interrupts a meeting to urge his deputy, Sue Gordon to resign. She announces her resignation.

Aug. 12 - Whistleblower complaint is filed.

Aug. 15 - Coats and Gordon depart (both are Trump admin nominees).

Aug. 26 - Intelligence IG forwards complaint to the acting DNI.

Aug. 28 - First reporting that Ukraine military aid is being withheld.

Sep. 2 - Deadline passes for complaint submission.

Sep. 9 - Intel IG notifies House Intelligence Chairman Adam Schiff of an "credible, urgent concern" that DNI has overruled.

Sep. 10 - Schiff demands DNI submit complaint.

Sep. 9/10 - John Bolton resigns/is fired.

Sep. 12 - Trump finally releases Ukraine military aid.

Sep. 13 - Schiff subpoenas Maguire.

Sep. 17 - Maguire refuses to testify - suspicions of WH/DOJ stonewalling.

Sep. 18 - Media revelations of the "promise" made to foreign nation.

Sep. 19 - Media revelations that Ukraine is involved.

Sep. 19 - The Intelligence inspector general gives a classified briefing to the House Intelligence Committee.

Sep. 20 - It's reported that Trump pressed Zelensky to investigate Biden's son during a call on July 25.

Sep. 22 - Trump acknowledges that he discussed Joe Biden in a July call with Zelensky.

Sep. 24 - Pelosi announces impeachment inquiry.

Sep. 24 - The DNI sent a letter to the whistleblower's legal team noting that the executive is preventing his submission of the complaint, but reassures the whistleblower that they have followed procedure and they will be protected.

Sep. 24 - Senate unanimously (100-0) passed a non-binding resolution to release the whistleblower complaint.

Sep. 25 - Officials report that Maguire threatened to resign if pressured to stonewall Congress by the WH. (Maguire denies, Wapo stands by reporting)

Sep. 25 - Trump implicates Pence in the Ukraine scandal.

Sep. 25 - Whistleblower complaint is sent to Congress.

Sep. 25 - House backs release of whistleblower complaint 421-0.

Sep. 25 - Cracks in the GOP begin to show. After seeing the whistleblower complaint, two Republican Senators publicly voiced concern over the details.

One Senate Republican, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to speak candidly, said the transcript’s release was a “huge mistake” that the GOP now has to confront and defend.
“Republicans ought not to be rushing to circle the wagons and say there’s no ‘there’ there when there’s obviously a lot that’s very troubling there,” Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Neb.) told reporters after reviewing the whistleblower’s complaint.

“It remains troubling in the extreme. It’s deeply troubling,” Sen. Mitt Romney (R-Utah) told reporters Wednesday when asked about the transcript.

Sep. 25 - Whistleblower complaint could be released to the public tomorrow morning.

Sep. 26 - Maguire scheduled to testify.

:emptyquote:

We should probably have a megapost/thread for this now that it's finally rolling.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Majorian posted:

This is just simply untrue:

https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/1175465767455862786

Pelosi was stolidly against impeachment until the moment she absolutely could no longer oppose it.

Wrong-o, she told Hoyer they were doing it before the op-ed:

quote:

After learning, over the weekend, about Trump’s fevered communications with the Ukrainian leadership, Pelosi, who was in New York, called her deputy, House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, to say that she had decided to back an impeachment inquiry. As she was flying back to Washington, she read an op-ed in the Washington Post in which seven centrist Democrats who had resisted an impeachment effort said that they had now changed their minds

https://www.newyorker.com/news/the-political-scene/nancy-pelosi-an-extremely-stable-genius

^^ From the article linked as being "outrageous praise" that really, really isn't

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

theflyingorc posted:

I don't think he will, but you definitely, positively don't know that.

He would have striked Iran by now if he was serious.

Plus, Tucker is begging him NOT to go to war

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

I don't think further impeachment will play well without something triggering it at least this big. You need narrative momentum, stomachs have nothing to do with it.

There's narrative momentum, and then there's just simply trying to get it done and over with. What we're seeing from Pelosi et al. is 100% the latter. She didn't want to take this vote, and now that she has to, she wants it behind her as soon as possible.

theflyingorc posted:

Wrong-o, she told Hoyer they were doing it before the op-ed:

https://www.newyorker.com/news/the-political-scene/nancy-pelosi-an-extremely-stable-genius

^^ From the article linked as being "outrageous praise" that really, really isn't

I don't see why I should believe her post-facto retelling of events, above what an aide leaked in the moment. Particularly when all of the evidence we have from her mindset over the past several months has been, "We're not going to impeach, and I'm going to come after you if you even mention it to me."

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

very strange thing for a secretary of state to post.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Majorian posted:

There's narrative momentum, and then there's just simply trying to get it done and over with. What we're seeing from Pelosi et al. is 100% the latter. She didn't want to take this vote, and now that she has to, she wants it behind her as soon as possible.
Hey

This is mind reading, and you're making it up.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Groovelord Neato posted:

very strange thing for a secretary of state to post.

Didn't know the VP could also be the Secretary of State :v:

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Zotix posted:

July 24 - Mueller's last testimony

Did he think all oversight was over once Mueller was finished? Lol

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

pacerhimself posted:

yes

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Majorian posted:

I don't believe the House Democrats, as a group, have the collective stomach for a second round of impeachment investigations and hearings. I think Pelosi et al. will say, "welp, we tried that, we're not going to waste our time or the American People's time anymore."

A second round of impeachment hearings after a first failed one will make it a lot easier for the GOP and the complicit media to downplay the seriousness of everything. Especially if it's something that's not so blatant as this. The GOP does have experience after all of consecutive witch hunts and projection is one of their main strengths.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Angry_Ed posted:

Didn't know the VP could also be the Secretary of State :v:

lol oops mouse was over the name and the tiny thumbnail looked like pompeo to me.

pacerhimself posted:

it rules so much.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Taerkar posted:

This sort of bullshit statement needs to die. It's a 'Common Wisdom' claim with strong roots in anti-government thinking and gets repeated far too often by people who should know better and is one of the foundations for both-sides thinking.

It's not bullshit. How is she worth 16 million dollars on a congressional salary for 30 years?

It might not be illegal but she's definitely corrupt.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/confronting-pelosi-on-insider-trading/

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Taerkar posted:

A second round of impeachment hearings after a first failed one will make it a lot easier for the GOP and the complicit media to downplay the seriousness of everything. Especially if it's something that's not so blatant as this.

My point exactly. Keeping the scope this narrow means that everything else Trump could be impeached for goes out the window.

theflyingorc posted:

Hey

It's pattern recognition.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Majorian posted:

The value of the Ukraine impeachment vote decreases if you drag it out needlessly through summer 2020. The voters will get fed up with it and have had time to rationalize away asking Ukraine to attack your enemies. ESPECIALLY if Biden is not the nominee, the voters will go well now I dont even care anymore.

Vote this year, and Trump goes into 2020 being impeached for trying to ask other nations to influence the election, no matter what, and that stain hangs on him. As an added bonus, the other investigations now matter again. They DO NOT really matter now, if we had a minor development today in another Trump crime, it wont make an impact, because we want to know whats going on with Ukraine.

Medium Chungus
Feb 19, 2012

skylined! posted:

Someone itt asked about the thread's opinion of Killer Mike and TI last week or around then. Sooooooo

https://twitter.com/revrrlewis/status/1177598792885030912

That was me!
And what the poo poo?

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

Angry_Ed posted:

I don't recall saying "better things aren't possible," thanks for putting words in my mouth.

I like that you quoted my whole post and then accused me of putting words in your mouth with a quote that I didn't write and an idea that I was in no way trying to attribute to you. Yes, very well put.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

theflyingorc posted:

Her caucus isn't even 100% lined up behind the inquiry, let alone impeachment. She needed a scandal like this to get party unity.

Nobody loving knows if it's "incredibly stupid" or not right now, and an article from yesterday is effectively meaningless as fast as this thing is moving.

Leadership isn't about sitting around and waiting until the perfect opportunity presents itself to you. That's what has people pissed, Nancy Pelosi got lucky here. We aren't in this better situation because of anything Pelosi did, we're only in a better situation because God personally handed Nancy Pelosi the perfect opportunity to impeach Trump.

It would really be so much better if you would stop acting like Nancy Pelosi's hands are tied until their caucus is in line; you've been one of the loudest voices declaring Nancy Pelosi skill as a knife-fighter slasher Ironclad control over her caucus for years. Your present arguments make it sound like you just worship authority figures no matter what they actually do.

Pelosi is finally doing the right thing. As soon as Trump's gone she's next.

Prester Jane fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 27, 2019

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Groovelord Neato posted:

lol oops mouse was over the name and the tiny thumbnail looked like pompeo to me.

it rules so much.

We are so goddamned lucky he is so dumb.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

mcmagic posted:

Pretty rich that you follow up a personal attack with a post that is so disconnected from the reality of the situation.

Your analysis on what happened with the Mueller Report is 100000000000000% wrong. That investigation was run by corrupt republicans who seeded that they couldn't charge Trump with anything no matter what they found. It was overseen by corrupt Trump hacks in the justice department who limited the scope away from Trump's kids and his financial crimes and it was rolled out by a corrupt AG in order to minimize the impact. That investigation was compromised and completely illegitimate. An investigation led by house Democrats would NOT have the same lack of impact that Mueller did. It would have much more.

Despite Mueller plainly stating that the president committed obstruction, what was the response from the American public? Do you think that there was an overwhelming response to impeach and the house just ignored it?

quote:

I don't understand not wanting to have this in the news for the next year forcing Republicans to answer for it every day rather than rushing it through in a month a year from the election which is like a decade in the trump era.

You could just lead with admitting you don't understand and maybe try to discuss the approach on its merits instead of just whining, you know. Just a thought.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Zotix posted:

July 28 - Dan Coats (Director of National Intelligence) resigns because he feels his duties are at odds with Trump.

Uhhh, is it just a coincidence or are these two things possibly related?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Majorian posted:

My point exactly. Keeping the scope this narrow means that everything else Trump could be impeached for goes out the window.

It's pattern recognition.

If this doesn't get him impeached then I'm not sure what would be, outside of the most comical of comically stupid actions, and I don't think he's clever enough to do those.

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

theflyingorc posted:

Hey

I mean you're not wrong that the op is making hella inferences based on personal perception but it is clear as day that Pelosi herself does not think impeachment is a remotely good idea. You can make the case that after nearly three years of open criminality and corruption, the Ukraine thing is what finally actually changed her mind but I think that's just as much of an unsupported inference as anything you're criticizing

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

mcmagic posted:

It's not bullshit. How is she worth 16 million dollars on a congressional salary for 30 years?

It might not be illegal but she's definitely corrupt.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/confronting-pelosi-on-insider-trading/

Her husband is an investment banker, one of the most lucrative careers that exists?

She also has owned property in San Francisco for a long time, which is probably a large part of her net worth?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Gatts,Solaris 2.0,Dapper Swindler etc posted:

OMG he wants war in Syria!

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Shouldn't that be "What Obama did to Khadaffi"?

No, I thought you were one of the older goons, you remember this surely.

quote:

The 1986 United States bombing of Libya, code-named Operation El Dorado Canyon, comprised air strikes by the United States against Libya on Tuesday 15 April 1986. The attack was carried out by the U.S. Air Force, U.S. Navy and U.S. Marine Corps via air strikes, in retaliation for the 1986 West Berlin discotheque bombing. There were 40 reported Libyan casualties, and one U.S. plane was shot down. One of the claimed Libyan deaths was of a baby girl, reported to be Muammar Gaddafi's daughter, Hana Gaddafi.[3] However, there were doubts as to whether she was really killed, or whether she really even existed.[4]
Fun side note: this bombing campaign directly resulted in the bombing of Pan-AM 103, which crashed in Lockerbie Scotland and killed a dozen people on the ground as well as all on board and is why to this day you get announcements about not accepting anything from anyone you don't know at the airport.

Basically they're not starting a war they just want to bomb Syria's palace to try and kill Assad (and distract from the impeachment investigation but I'm sure that's totally a coincidence).

Oracle fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 27, 2019

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Multiple people need to be posting better.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

skylined! posted:

Despite Mueller plainly stating that the president committed obstruction, what was the response from the American public? Do you think that there was an overwhelming response to impeach and the house just ignored it?

It was NOT plainly stated and it was rolled out by a corrupt AG that muddied the waters. Everything about the Mueller Report was crafted to ensure that nothing happened.

Xombie
May 22, 2004

Soul Thrashing
Black Sorcery
You can tell things are going well by how this thread starts to eat itself and say that things should have been done "better".

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Rigel posted:

The value of the Ukraine impeachment vote decreases if you drag it out needlessly through summer 2020. The voters will get fed up with it and have had time to rationalize away asking Ukraine to attack your enemies. ESPECIALLY if Biden is not the nominee, the voters will go well now I dont even care anymore.

There's already plenty on the table that the public already understands is illegal, though. Mehdi Hassan has it 100% right:

quote:

But are they really saying “everybody understands” Trump’s quid pro quo with the president of a foreign country, and the details of the specific case involving Hunter Biden, but not the illegal payment of hush money to a porn star? Or all of the corrupt behavior on display in front of their eyes? The brazen self-dealing? The daily violation of the emoluments clause?

Read a poll. A majority of Americans happen to agree with (literally) 1,000 former federal prosecutors that the president obstructed justice and don’t believe the Mueller report exonerated Trump. A majority also agree that Trump is a racist and a liar, and that corruption has increased on his watch. Trump is a historically unpopular and disliked president — and for a variety of reasons.

Read a history book. In 1868, Andrew Johnson became the first president to be impeached and, in his case, the House of Representatives adopted 11 articles of impeachment, ranging from his violation of the Tenure of Office Act to his attempt to “disgrace” Congress. A little over a century later, in 1974, the House Judiciary Committee passed three lengthy and detailed articles of impeachment against Richard Nixon, covering obstruction of justice, abuse of power, and contempt of Congress. The first of those articles even cited Nixon’s “false or misleading public statements for the purpose of deceiving the people of the United States” and his efforts “to cause prospective defendants, and individuals duly tried and convicted, to expect favored treatment and consideration in return for their silence or false testimony, or rewarding individuals for their silence or false testimony.” (Sound familiar?)

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

theflyingorc posted:

Her husband is an investment banker, one of the most lucrative careers that exists?

She also has owned property in San Francisco for a long time, which is probably a large part of her net worth?

So what you're saying is she is a corrupt out-of-touch boogie, at least that's what I am getting here.

Why should someone with so little perspective on what the average American experience is be in such a leadership position? She doesn't understand anything about anything, why do we trust her with the keys?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1177604833538392065

loving lol.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Christ what a child.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Majorian posted:

There's already plenty on the table that the public already understands is illegal, though. Mehdi Hassan has it 100% right:

I don't buy any argument that has a base premise: "The American People are not stupid"

Prester Jane posted:

So what you're saying is she is a corrupt out-of-touch boogie. Why should someone with so little perspective on what the average American experience has be in such a leadership position? She doesn't understand anything about anything, why do we trust her with the keys?
lol

The goalposts have exited the building

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Majorian posted:

The voters were against impeachment on everything else. They support it for Ukraine.

If you want to drag out Ukraine pointlessly through late 2020, then you had better hope Biden wins the nomination, or now the voters REALLY don't give a gently caress and impeachment becomes a net negative.

Trump was not impeached for the Muslim ban, the kids in cages, or the GOP tax cuts, but the voters were still pissed about it in 2018.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

ewiley posted:

Uhhh, is it just a coincidence or are these two things possibly related?

I absolutely believe it does. Cenk on the Young Turks(I know he's not a favorite of everyone) had a good little segment on it last night. He might not known of the classified server, or the specific details that we all know now, but I bet he knew the contents of that phone call. And he basically Noped right the gently caress out at that point. And he called up his long time assistant Sue Gordon to nope right the gently caress out as well. He likely knew that stuff wasn't going to be good if he had to answer to it, and got out while it was still smart of him to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Xombie posted:

You can tell things are going well by how this thread starts to eat itself and say that things should have been done "better".

this thread, meaning like 2 people, are going to try over and over to steer the conversation into their fox news level obsession with either hillary clinton or nancy pelosi.