Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Zip! posted:

I worry I'm doing a similar thing to whoever the guy going on about non-optimum play was, but the omission of coning tower armor on most of the ships seems like something that should be fixed.

Another option for design by committee, would be to do a vote for each element of a BB so we end up with some kind of consensus good ship.

Direct CT hits are less than .2% chance per 100 rounds fired per gun within the IZ of the Skopa.*

*quick math 5% of 5%

5% accuracy which is very good accuracy and conditions

5% (which is extremely generous, it's more like 2%) chance to hit CT.

2" protects from splinters so it requires a direct hit from AP to destroy the CT and low caliber guns fire HE at B/BB/BC, which 2" is proof against.

No CT armor is a terrible idea but 2" works fine in practice.

Because the odds of taking a direct hit to the CT that you could have reasonably armored against (CT equal to belt) is quite low at range, and if you are taking fire that your belt cannot stop odds are the CT wouldn't be immune either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Guess I'll vote for Potemkin.

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

Infidelicious posted:

Single mount 3" is the first DP Heavy AA caliber you get.

It's also like 150T for 24 of them, which isn't a significant amount of weight in terms of gaining armor or speed or even additional ammunition.

Light AA only fires at planes directly attacking that vessel, HAA and MAA fire at planes attacking the entire formation.

The manual posted:

The AA fire sequence
AAA will fire at any attacking aircraft (including friendly attacking planes) prior to the aircraft releasing their ordnance. Heavy AA fires first, followed by medium AA and finally light AA will fire.

Heavy AA from nearby ships may be added to the HAA value of the defending ship. Heavy AA may damage, destroy or abort attacking aircraft and will add to the disruption of the section.

Medium AA fires next, but only MAA from the defending ship may fire. As with HAA, medium AA may damage, destroy or abort individual attacking planes and also adds to the disruption of the section as a whole.

Following the calculation of MAA fire, the section may have disruption applied, which will reduce the accuracy of their bombing attacks.

Light AA will fire at aircraft attacking their own ship either before or after enemy aircraft release their ordnance, depending on a random roll compared to the speed of the aircraft. The faster the aircraft is, the larger the chance that light AA will fire after the aircraft has dropped its ordnance. LAA will always inflict disruption before aircraft attack, even if their fire takes effect after the aircraft have attacked.
Only HAA defends the formation. MAA and LAA both defend only their own ship, the difference being MAA always fires before the aircraft attack.

(I don't disagree with adding 3" tertiaries to prepare for DP HAA, though. If anything, HAA is even more of a key capability than Infidelicious described, one that you will need eventually, and there's not much point in leaving free tonnage to add it later instead of just throwing the tertiaries on there now.)

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Plus, you know, there were the former complaints about not having enough small calibre guns to dissaude destroyer attacks.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
IIRC towards the end of WWII destroyers and Battleships were basically floating AAA batteries.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

January 1923

That was an old destroyer.

February 1923

We are no longer allied to Britain, but at least we have a new fighter on the way.

March 1923

After twenty years of service, our spy has decided her golden bikini is getting a bit cold, so this guy has stepped up.

Our light cruisers can now fit as many guns as our battleships.

April 1923

The Garpun can only make 22 knots – but its interesting to note the US are rebuilding to a CVL. We seem to have the edge on tech here!

May 1923

Parliament want to improve society, not the fleet.

We are getting lots of reports on enemy tech levels.

June 1923

The Germans have the improved director.

July 1923

The new floatplane scout is ready.

August 1923

The French Navy? Hah!

I wasn't given a file for the Potemkin, so I rebuilt her as best I could.

September 1923

The US take control of Cuba, and a re surprised to find camels there.

October 1923

We make sure to keep the Balkans stable....

November 1923

We of course go for the win.

December 1923

More money and a slew of new inventions.

So much new tech.

The Potemkin is laid down.

I will admit to misjudging our funds a little bit.

Our fleet grows.

Just as well, as tensions are rising once more.

France and Austria-Hungary do not look like much of a threat however. We are punching above our weight for the smallest naval budget in the world.

Here are our current planes.

And, finally, our research levels.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think we can take France. Austria-Hunagry is never a threat.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Those five Austrian battlecruisers might be concerning--sure, a couple of them are pretty lovely battlecruisers, but we don't have anything that could catch and kill them right now.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Okay! PRoposals.

Alliances

Alliances should be pursued as best can be with powers that have low tensions with and that operate in the European theatre with substantial fleets. Priority is given to Britain, secondly to Germany if feasible. Only one great power should be allied with.

Lab Mad

Research alliances should be pursued with any nations that are willing to engage with them AND technology should always be bought/sold so long as A) It would not negatively effect the budget and B) Are with nations that do not have Yellow or Above Tension level pending the discretion of the Admiralty.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

wedgekree posted:

Lab Mad

Research alliances should be pursued with any nations that are willing to engage with them AND technology should always be bought/sold so long as A) It would not negatively effect the budget and B) Are with nations that do not have Yellow or Above Tension level pending the discretion of the Admiralty.

Seconded.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

wedgekree posted:

Okay! PRoposals.

Alliances

Alliances should be pursued as best can be with powers that have low tensions with and that operate in the European theatre with substantial fleets. Priority is given to Britain, secondly to Germany if feasible. Only one great power should be allied with.

Seconded

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Didn’t we propose legislation after the last update? I thought it was every two updates?

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

If we are allowing legislation:

Quarter-Century Act
All ships originally completed in 1899 should be scrapped. Rossiya and Pamyat Asova are exempted for up to two years if the admiralty deems that it is currently unable to replace them in Northeast Asia.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

Zikan posted:

Didn’t we propose legislation after the last update? I thought it was every two updates?

Its every year. Every update in peacetime, every four updates in wartime.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
The Far East Fleet Modernization Act

A run of four additional Proyekt 11117 destroyers are to be ordered and dispatched to Vladivostok to replace the eight desperately obsolete destroyers currently stationed there, which will be scrapped once the new ships arrive.

The Elbrus will be dispatched to Vladivostok immediately to serve as the flagship for the Far East Fleet. One Pamyat Azova is to be scrapped upon her arrival.

In addition, a new armored cruiser will be designed and laid down to replace the remaining two Pamyat Azovas. Designers are to prioritize cost effectiveness, long-range operations, and raiding ability. One of these ships will be ordered to replace the cruisers of the Pamyat Asova class, which will be scrapped once the new ship arrives at Vladivostok. A second ship of this class may (or may not) be ordered later, with a separate piece of legislation, once the budget situation improves.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 29, 2019

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Mister Bates posted:

A run of four additional Proyekt 11117 destroyers are to be ordered and dispatched to Vladivostok to replace the eight desperately obsolete destroyers currently stationed there, which will be scrapped once the new ships arrive.

The Elbrus will be dispatched to Vladivostok immediately to serve as the flagship for the Far East Fleet. One Pamyat Azova is to be scrapped upon her arrival.

In addition, a new armored cruiser will be designed and laid down to replace the remaining two Pamyat Azovas. Designers are to prioritize cost effectiveness, long-range operations, and raiding ability. One of these ships will be ordered to replace the cruisers of the Pamyat Asova class, which will be scrapped once the new ship arrives at Vladivostok. A second ship of this class may (or may not) be ordered later, with a separate piece of legislation, once the budget situation improves.

Seconded

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

Scrapping any DD is throwing away a perfectly good Trade Protection hull; transferring them back to where they can be mothballed is less wasteful.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

wedgekree posted:

Okay! PRoposals.

Alliances

Lab Mad

Mister Bates posted:

Only three this time.....

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Yeaaaa boooix3.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Yay
Yay
Yay

Can I vot efor my own proposals or that considered poor form?

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Yeah
Yeah
Nah

Why waste perfectly good decoys?

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Aye
Aye
Aye

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Aye
Aye
Aye

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Aye
Aye
Aye

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Alliances - Aye
Lab Mad - Aye
Far East Modernization - Nay - there's no point scrapping obsolete destroyers, might as well just put them on trade protection and not have to build corvettes. And considering our budget situation and current requirement to build another battleship once we free up the funds, we really don't have the money for a new cruiser line. Better to wait a year or two, let the budget stabilize, then worry about designing new cruisers.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Ayes all around.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Good points made about the destroyer hulls.

Aye
Aye
Nay

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
AYE
AYE
NAY

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

vyelkin posted:

Alliances - Aye
Lab Mad - Aye
Far East Modernization - Nay - there's no point scrapping obsolete destroyers, might as well just put them on trade protection and not have to build corvettes. And considering our budget situation and current requirement to build another battleship once we free up the funds, we really don't have the money for a new cruiser line. Better to wait a year or two, let the budget stabilize, then worry about designing new cruisers.

NEQ

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Aye
Aye
Nay

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Aye
Aye
Aye

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

AYE
AYE
NAY

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
AYE
AYE
NAY

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

NAY TO ALL

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

***PRIORITETY ISSLEDOVANIYE 01 JAN 1924 ST PETERSBURG***
YEGO IMPYERATORSKOGO VYELICHYESTVA (NIKOLAYA II [VTOROGO])
pre:
Research Area				Last research		Priority	Levels
Machinery development			Reduction gears		Medium		12
Armour development			Impr armour testing	Medium		11
Hull construction			Imp design calculations	Medium		12
Fire control				Synthetic fire control	LOW		16
Subdivision and damage control		Diesel generators	HIGH		6
Turrets and gun mountings		Double gun mounts on CL	Medium		10
Ship design				AON armour		Medium		12
AP Projectiles				Improved ballistic cap	HIGH		7
Light forces and torpedo warfare	Quadruple torp tubes	Medium		11
Torpedo technology			TNT warhead		Medium		10
Submarines				Minelaying submarine	LOW		12
ASW technology				Imp Depth charges	HIGH		8
Explosive shells			Enh explosive filler	Medium		10
Fleet tactics				Smoke Floats		Medium		8
Anti Aircraft artillery			20mm automatic cannon	Medium		3
Naval aviation, lighter than air	Aircraft carrying blimp	HIGH		4
Naval Aviation, heavier than air	Early air launch torps	Medium		3
Shipboard aircraft operation		Purpose built CVLs	Medium		4
Amphibious operations			Elpidifor boats		Medium		2
Naval guns				16 inch guns		LOW
BUORD HAS FOUND IT NECESSARY TO STATE CLEARLY AND UNEQUIVOCALLY THAT THE TSAR IS JUST FINE STOP
THE TSAR HAS NOT HAD AN 'EPISODE' NOR HAS HE 'DIED' OR 'GONE CRAZY' OR ANY SUCH THING STOP
OUR BELOVED EMPEROR HAS BEEN ON A LONG HOLIDAY, THAT'S ALL STOP
WE REMIND NAVAL OFFICERS AND STAFF THAT SPREADING RUMORS IS TREASON STOP
MEANWHILE WE IMAGINE THE TSAR WOULD LIKE IMPROVED AIRSHIPS AND DAMAGE CONTROL AND MINES END

ATTN: BY ORDER YEGO IMPYERATORSKOGO VYELICHYESTVA (NIKOLAYA II [VTOROGO])
The bureau of ordnance is pleased to announce a request for proposals for a new Russian torpedo bomber model of aircraft! As the pace of aeronautical development quickens internationally, our country must keep up with its rivals overseas.
New Request:
1923: Torpedo bomber to be named the Dostavka Kolbasy (доставка колбасы) or "Sausage Delivery"
Prioritization of qualities:
1. Bomb Load
2. Speed

Open requests:
1919 order: Bomber pukayushchiy al'batros or "Farting Albatross"
Prioritization of qualities:
1. Bomb Load
2. Toughness

PENDING AIRCRAFT RENAMING:
WE HAVE ABANDONED ALL HOPE OF RENAMING FIGHTERS AND ACCEPT THAT IT MUST BE IMPOSSIBLE

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Aye
Aye
Nay

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
aye
aye
nay

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

January 1924

quote:

Alliances

Lab Mad

We get a new battleship, and now we see the air force getting upgraded.

February 1924

We have a aircraft carrier, and the Tsar demands his second yacht in two years.

We improve our lighter than air tech.

March 1924

Rebellion! The last of these lead to war.

It looks like the Austro-Hungarians are attempting to use the same tricks.

They also ramp up their budget – they are ready for war.

April 1924

For now, I work on reducing the rebels.

May 1924

Industry improves, and we stand up proud against France.

We seem to have them in a panic as they increase budget!

Not to be outdone, I lay down the second Potemkin class.

June 1924

I buy an improved range finder, and Britain deploys some new destroyers.

July 1924

Lets hope we can get those torpedo bombers out before the war starts!

August 1924

The Austrians are replacing their corvettes.

September 1924

The Rebellion continues, and we buy longer torpedoes.

October 1924

It seems Japan has forgotten the drubbing we gave them.

Better 10” guns will be useful on heavy cruisers.

November 1924

The Americans get an aircraft carrier.

December 1924

Lots of intel reports this month.

The new torpedo bomber goes into production.

The Potemkins progress.

The fleet slumbers.

War looks likely in the next year, and I'm going to have to pause one of the battleships soon.

Research continues under BUORDS watchful eye.

Over to you guys. This may well be your last chance to do anything in the next few updates!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Fortifications

All colonies in areas expected to be combat zones in the coming year are prioritized for increase in fortifications. This can include (but is not limited to) building of additional coastal batteries, port capacity. Each 'zone' in turn should have at least one small level airbase that can handle zeppelins to be used for spotting if it does not have already. Those that are ready should have one squadron of zepelins assigned to them when available o an airbase, at least one per zone.

The priority will be the Far East (Sakhain), then Asia, and if budget permits to Northern Europe/The Med. Discretion is given to the admiralty as to what level of fortifications are considered effective to build up within an efficient timespan.

The Admiralty is also allowed to prioritize what they feel is the most effective buildup to use at their discretion (airbase/port/gun batteries).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
The Far East Squadron Rebasing Act

While I was hoping to be able to propose a better version of my previous act that took into consideration the very good points people had against it, there's no way in hell we can afford to design new ships right now or even order a new run of destroyers. For now let's stick to the part of the bill that makes us money instead of losing it. The Elbrus and Grom will be redeployed to Vladivostok to replace the 19th-century-vintage Pamyat Azova armored cruisers. With war potentially looming, the Pamyat Azovas will not be scrapped at this time, but will be scrapped as soon as world tension has fallen to safe levels or the upcoming war has ended, freeing up their maintenance costs to be spent on more modern vessels.

This will leave us with no armored cruisers in the Baltic, but one nearly-20-year-old ship will not be a huge loss, and in fact it might actually help us by ensuring the battle gen doesn't throw us into cruiser actions when we only have one cruiser.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Oct 1, 2019