Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

I can't believe you fools are wasting your time reading this webcomic while the traitor Roger Foi-Hellick still lives.

"a traitor of the of highest order and lowest character" is a great turn of phrase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

GreyjoyBastard posted:

technically, i think Vampire is in fact resisting

there's some (very) limited level of restraint there
Yeah, this is all happening very very fast but if he wasn't restraining himself Roger could have been dead or dying by now. I wonder if that's possible NOT because of True Love (because that's not it even if they love each other), but because Vampire has in fact experienced this before? So the sudden wall of hate, disgust, and fear isn't a new sensation for him.

I mean I still am sure he's going to end up dead as he attacks Roger, but it's notable that it took Roger actually touching Vampire for him to break.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's also the fact that it takes longer for pymary and stuff to affect coppers, so he might not be feeling the full brunt of the Etalarche curse yet the way the rest are.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.
Ding. I think Mallory's just gearing up; it's not an accident that the Silver lieutenant was the first to take a run at Roger. The Jets are frothing, and the Coppers are getting there shortly.

It's been a while since we've seen Will on the page; has anybody been able to figure out where he is? I got odds that his arm comes off Monday, or Wed if we skip the Monday update.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
RAYHEHR HOI-WEWICK!

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Ding. I think Mallory's just gearing up; it's not an accident that the Silver lieutenant was the first to take a run at Roger. The Jets are frothing, and the Coppers are getting there shortly.

It's been a while since we've seen Will on the page; has anybody been able to figure out where he is? I got odds that his arm comes off Monday, or Wed if we skip the Monday update.

Will is still being held by Dhampir, I think you can just about see him under her arm.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

quote:

Can Ruck read? Or did he just browse the Queen’s books as a joke?

Ruck reads just fine but he has trouble understanding the literary abstraction of experience. His nature is to take experience from the source and mentally bathe in it. To instead see experience painted in words is like looking at a dead body. He doesn’t get it. He doesn’t like it. It creeps him out.

Humans are just so alien.

:allears:

edit oh poo poo new update

fake edit that's a LOT of dialogue

I'll stomach it no longer! I'll abide this FACE no longer!

FOUR pages, and apparently done for the week. It is fine.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Sep 30, 2019

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
when the etalarche takes hold, everyone becomes Ren Hoek

YEEEEUUUUUU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

...it's very possible the effects of the curse just made Mallory say what he knew would hurt Roger the most, although I believe parts of that to be true. Very possible. But there's no way for Roger to ever know what was true and what was the curse, as far as Mallory's feelings towards him, and nothing changes the fact that he had to kill the man he loved.

EDIT: Namely, I don't think it makes any sense for Mallory to lie about knowing the salt lizard before and sending her to Roger because Roger could get the government to curse him, while Mallory couldn't and was too scared to invite that upon himself. I don't buy that he hated Roger the whole time and was only manipulating him, because that's where it makes sense for the curse to be twisting his memories and perceptions - Mallory literally cannot be trusted in his perception or recollection of Roger while the curse is active.

PetraCore fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 30, 2019

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
"You look like gently caress and awful had a baby and hit it with a plank."

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Yeah, there's some truth in what Vamps said, but the curse was twisting him to say the most horrible possible thing to Roger. That curse don't gently caress around.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

It is a really good line, hah!

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Jeez, Claggart popping his arm out of socket trying to kill Roger. It seems like the Etalarche curse takes out a lot of bystanders as well.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

PetraCore posted:

...it's very possible the effects of the curse just made Mallory say what he knew would hurt Roger the most, although I believe parts of that to be true. Very possible. But there's no way for Roger to ever know what was true and what was the curse, as far as Mallory's feelings towards him, and nothing changes the fact that he had to kill the man he loved.

EDIT: Namely, I don't think it makes any sense for Mallory to lie about knowing the salt lizard before and sending her to Roger because Roger could get the government to curse him, while Mallory couldn't and was too scared to invite that upon himself. I don't buy that he hated Roger the whole time and was only manipulating him, because that's where it makes sense for the curse to be twisting his memories and perceptions - Mallory literally cannot be trusted in his perception or recollection of Roger while the curse is active.

The bit about "you're a coward leading scores of people to their death while you don't want to suffer anything" seems based on very recent frustrations. It's likely that what Vamps said about Roger's reputation as why he sought him out is true because it predates any feelings that could develop.

What I'm getting out of this is that the curse is able to effectively amplify all the things that ever bothered you about or turned you off from its target such that even if you know what it's like and it targets a person you love, it can still make you hate them.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

GunnerJ posted:

The bit about "you're a coward leading scores of people to their death while you don't want to suffer anything" seems based on very recent frustrations. It's likely that what Vamps said about Roger's reputation as why he sought him out is true because it predates any feelings that could develop.

What I'm getting out of this is that the curse is able to effectively amplify all the things that ever bothered you about or turned you off from its target such that even if you know what it's like and it targets a person you love, it can still make you hate them.
Yeah, pretty much! This scene is so horrifying because it's so intensely personal, and I think the horror would be lessened if Mallory didn't genuinely love Roger before it hit. It's not like there's been a lot of time to establish their relationship, since this is all from Duane's perspective.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

DrSnakeLaser posted:

Jeez, Claggart popping his arm out of socket trying to kill Roger. It seems like the Etalarche curse takes out a lot of bystanders as well.

Probably, but I suspect that part of the reason the captives have lost all sense of self-preservation is because they've basically got nothing to lose. They're bound and helpless and surrounded by armed enemies who have promised them a slow painful death, so a last desperate stab at taking ROGER FOI-HELLICK down with them has to look like a pretty good deal. I think under normal circumstances most people's reaction might be closer to Mallory's: driven to kill Roger, but willing to take their time.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Also worth noting the captives wanted to kill Foi-Hellick even without the curse. Leading the enemy army and all.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
its the worst day of his life

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

quote:

Can Ruck read? Or did he just browse the Queen’s books as a joke?

Ruck reads just fine but he has trouble understanding the literary abstraction of experience. His nature is to take experience from the source and mentally bathe in it. To instead see experience painted in words is like looking at a dead body. He doesn’t get it. He doesn’t like it. It creeps him out.

Humans are just so alien.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

quote:

So I’m working on this Bastion/Ladysnake story and I’m very close to being finished, but it refuses to be straightforward smut and is devolving into a therapy session.

Why can’t I just write smut free of context? Why does it always have to turn existential? Why does it always have to be so problematic and weird that probably all of five people will even want to read it?

also i like to think that my inquiries about Evelyn Five-Eyes and her short story were what reminded Ash to finish it

what can I say, I'm a big fan of efheby in general and the tidbits Ash has dropped about Evs in particular

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Can't wait for the reveal that the reincarnation thing is true and two-toes don't go to the khert because they're what people reincarnate into on their last cycle.

Two-toes are already perfect.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Tits, even the kids are wacko.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Salt Lizard isn't going to turn down a free snack.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

Man, I love how spooky the curse has ended up being. Nobody knows much about it, it's got no visual presence at all, it's just suddenly everybody around this one person is filled with bloodlust and wants to kill the gently caress out of him, down to the tiny children you're currently footballing around.

Tar_Squid
Feb 13, 2012
Two things, Shaensigin-

1- Parallel between her and Prakhuta/Cutter/Delicieu/whatever that stupid lizard is calling himself now, chowing down on a former comrade in arms while the humans around them flip out and get violent on each other

2- Fairly sure Vampire is like the epitome of a GMO, there. Probably not a healthy snackaroosky.

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

I mean when you consider her sodium intake her blood pressure has to be sky-high anyway :v:

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
loving FINALLY

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
probably one of the more traumatic ways that could have happened, all told

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

At long last.

Oxxidation posted:

probably one of the more traumatic ways that could have happened, all told

Honestly, anything less and we'd be worried that Ash was losing her touch.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I have to wonder what you expect to happen next in that situation. Like "Ha ha, I murdered their small child. Now the insanely powerful magic user and the experienced swordsman will.....not horrifically brutalize me to the full extent it's possible to make another human being suffer?".

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think she wanted the murderous child, who lost his value as a hostage after Duane disappeared her sword, A. Not in her arms, and B. Not somewhere he could actually kill Roger, perhaps while also distracting the two people bearing down on her. Though, uh, that's not how I would have expected one to accomplish that. Nor how I thought Will would end up losing that arm. Curious how he actually got out of there. Also if the Salt Lizard realized what she was being thrown before clamping back down, given that she can only see when her mouth is open.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

I think she wanted the murderous child, who lost his value as a hostage after Duane disappeared her sword, A. Not in her arms, and B. Not somewhere he could actually kill Roger, perhaps while also distracting the two people bearing down on her. Though, uh, that's not how I would have expected one to accomplish that. Nor how I thought Will would end up losing that arm. Curious how he actually got out of there. Also if the Salt Lizard realized what she was being thrown before clamping back down, given that she can only see when her mouth is open.

she can sort-of see with her mouth closed, but very poorly

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

Mulva posted:

I have to wonder what you expect to happen next in that situation. Like "Ha ha, I murdered their small child. Now the insanely powerful magic user and the experienced swordsman will.....not horrifically brutalize me to the full extent it's possible to make another human being suffer?".

I mean, Dhampir showed up after Duane was taken captive, so unless she specifically noticed the gag in his mouth while everybody was walking around she didn't know he was a caster. And since she's a well-established total rear end in a top hat, throwing Will to Shaensigin was probably meant as enough of a horrible distraction for her to either book it or pull out any anti-wright measures she has on her person.

Plus, if they go to fight Shaensigin and maybe help the imperiled child, she's basically in the clear so long as she stays far enough away from Roger, who has definitely drawn aggro. She sucks as a person but this was some quick tactical thinking.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Roland Jones posted:

You think the Salt Lizard isn't fond of eating kids? I guess that'd explain why Will isn't dead, given all she has to do is chew a little.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
She doesn't seem to be big on chewing in general, judging by the intact leg sticking out of her throat.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Straight White Shark posted:

She doesn't seem to be big on chewing in general, judging by the intact leg sticking out of her throat.
Then kids are even better!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

That's Vampire's leg, on that topic; she ate his body on the last page and hasn't chomped on anyone since then (except Will).

Kind of an unsettling thing to think about, him going from a seemingly-important character we've seen multiple sides of, and who has a history with the Salt Lizard and was talking to her just pages ago, to nothing but food to her.

Different thing regarding the Salt Lizard, this whole story started up because Duane wanted to get that Two-Toe grandmother to give him information about Ilganyag, in exchange for telling her about the time he met her god. We've recently learned that said meeting involved him dropping rocks on her head, and probably doing other painful things to her to get Will out of her mouth.

Somehow I don't think this story is going to endear him to her. Not that she won't keep up her end of the bargain, that might still happen, but hoo boy, if she didn't like him before...

FreeKillB
May 13, 2009

That leg is being chewed by her weird vertical second mouth.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Two Tumblr questions answered by Ashley today, both about Shaensigin, on the topic we've been discussing recently:

quote:

Anonymous asked: Is the salt lizard made from 100% first materials or just the protective outer layer of salt scales? Would her insides be classified as "first living salt lizard flesh" or something? Or is she actually made all out of salt in various bizzare phases?

The Adeliers are going to have to figure this out if they wanna get Will out of there!

quote:

Anonymous asked: Is this vore?

I know you’re joking but some of the upcoming panels gave me pause while I was drawing them.

If you have a fear of being eaten alive maybe skip the next dozen pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Roland Jones posted:

That's Vampire's leg, on that topic; she ate his body on the last page and hasn't chomped on anyone since then (except Will).

Kind of an unsettling thing to think about, him going from a seemingly-important character we've seen multiple sides of, and who has a history with the Salt Lizard and was talking to her just pages ago, to nothing but food to her.

Different thing regarding the Salt Lizard, this whole story started up because Duane wanted to get that Two-Toe grandmother to give him information about Ilganyag, in exchange for telling her about the time he met her god. We've recently learned that said meeting involved him dropping rocks on her head, and probably doing other painful things to her to get Will out of her mouth.

Somehow I don't think this story is going to endear him to her. Not that she won't keep up her end of the bargain, that might still happen, but hoo boy, if she didn't like him before...
I think there's value in the fact that he's not sugar-coating it, though. Not that it'll make her LIKE him, lord no, but it'd be worse if he lied.