Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreshCutFries
Sep 15, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

and with that lets look at an rpg where people put in some effort

Shaggs38 says: "a fun little RPG point to click type game." Xron raves: "i can see many people enjoying this game."

i do always appreciate it when game trailers show a lot of gameplay though

I like Romulus' "Great job on a classic RPG turn based."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Calling it nerd intel power fantasy is honestly insanely reductive and seems more like a way to validate the kind of power fantasy you find palatable

The only moral power fantasy is my power fantasy

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

CharlestheHammer posted:

Calling it nerd intel power fantasy is honestly insanely reductive and seems more like a way to validate the kind of power fantasy you find palatable

that's an accurate description of Shield Hero, in which the protagonist is a literal incel who purchases a harem of child sex slaves and, after a whole arc involving him being falsely accused of rape by a strawman Conniving Bitch straight out of a loving redpill post, eventually gets his revenge by selling the hate-target into slavery to a Jabba the Hutt-esque man who rapes her to death

wouldn't go quite as far for the rest of the genre, it's pretty not great but it's generally more inoffensively not great than that

e: like Shield Hero is basically "what if all the evil choices in Planescape Torment were treated as the right thing to do," for a video game analogy. the protagonist of that series is a horrible person

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

CharlestheHammer posted:

A power fantasy where someone gets a bunch of slaves is bad. A power fantasy where a former slave kills a bunch of slavers is good. Power fantasies aren't just inherently bad, they're good or bad depending on how the power in the fantasy relates to power in real life.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
And it all leads back to YIIK...

:actually:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Shoehead posted:

I was gonna ask if that was that anime that you think will be someone's D&D campaign but actually ends up as a Harem anime, and then I realised I was thinking of Goblin Slayer and then realised that its its own genre of anime and now I'm sad, thanks

You're not wrong about Goblin Slayer, I found the fanservice egregious and stopped watching, but more harem animes should include a dwarf and a lizardman.

Overlord is also looking unfortunate, a promising isekai premise spoiled by our skeletal salaryman protagonist idly groping an NPC boob for a good minute or two.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

that's an accurate description of Shield Hero, in which the protagonist is a literal incel who purchases a harem of child sex slaves and, after a whole arc involving him being falsely accused of rape by a strawman Conniving Bitch straight out of a loving redpill post, eventually gets his revenge by selling the hate-target into slavery to a Jabba the Hutt-esque man who rapes her to death

I do not think that you have watched Shield Hero.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The genre tends to come with overpowered mary sue main characters, and often a lot of worldbuilding through video game mechanics. But to some degree those elements are part of the popularity of the genre, and appeal to its readership.

Yep, Shield Hero has well known video game mechanics like "you can only use one weapon ever" and "slave crests that force you to do whatever the protagonist says". Can't be helped! It's just the system! You know, from games!

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Yeah he forgot to mention that he legally changes the woman's name to Bitch and she gets reincarnated as the physical manifestation of evil because her crazy bitch grudge is that great. Also the author said the character, out of the whole cast, is specifically based on a person

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Chomp8645 posted:

No, no, that was a very accurate description of Shield Hero.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Honestly I’m surprised the hate They get as a genre. Like there are individual ones that do really bad things but people treat the concept of a power fantasy as some dirty thing when like most media is a power fantasy of some variety.

Hell action movies are usually the exact same power fantasy at their cores.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Are they hated? I've never been bothered by them unless they're full of irredeemable garbage like Shield Hero.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Yeah. There were a lot of things that would be called isekai now that don't really fit what it's become (nerd incel power fantasy). Fushigi Yuugi, Magic Knight Rayearth, Those Who Hunt Elves, .hack, Spirited Away, Escaflowne, Digimon....all arguably isekai.

Army Of Darkness.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

OwlFancier posted:

Army Of Darkness.

and Super Mario Bros

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Honestly I’m surprised the hate They get as a genre. Like there are individual ones that do really bad things but people treat the concept of a power fantasy as some dirty thing when like most media is a power fantasy of some variety.

Hell action movies are usually the exact same power fantasy at their cores.

"Slavery is good" as a popular trope is pretty much the main difference in complaint between it and most power fantasies, but that's a heck of a first step.

e: by no means is it a necessary part of the genre, but it's common enough to warrant notice.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

They're like Cannon action movies. It's a trashy bloated genre. Only the best and worst get big enough for us over here to notice it.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Are they hated? I've never been bothered by them unless they're full of irredeemable garbage like Shield Hero.

They get a lot of (deserved) poo poo because the majority are cheap, low-effort crap. Generally it's all the same story but with A Gimmick like "Transported to another world but I'm a vending machine" or "Transported to another world with my Hot Mom who has the dual attack skill" or whatever, but generally the gimmick and author's skill are only good for a single volume gag manga before it turns into yet another generic isekai power fantasy where the protagonist wins everything and enslaves women.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

C.M. Kruger posted:

"Transported to another world with my Hot Mom who has the dual attack skill"

in fairness, this also describes Back to the Future

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Light Gun Man posted:

and Super Mario Bros
And that part in Heavy Metal where the nerd is taken to a fantasy world and transforms into a hunk.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

And was played by John Candy despite being black.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

SardonicTyrant posted:

And that part in Heavy Metal where the nerd is taken to a fantasy world and transforms into a hunk.

Like most everything else in that movie, it was based on a previous story that had been serialized in Heavy Metal Magazine.

rodbeard posted:

And was played by John Candy despite being black.

God that movie was loving weird

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

C.M. Kruger posted:

They get a lot of (deserved) poo poo because the majority are cheap, low-effort crap. Generally it's all the same story but with A Gimmick like "Transported to another world but I'm a vending machine" or "Transported to another world with my Hot Mom who has the dual attack skill" or whatever, but generally the gimmick and author's skill are only good for a single volume gag manga before it turns into yet another generic isekai power fantasy where the protagonist wins everything and enslaves women.

One upside to this is that it helps make ones with zero fighting or superpowers, like the one where the girl just really wants to read books but was incarnated into a poor family in a pre-printing press world, stand out more.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

They do here but that’s because goons and maybe people in general can’t get passed I don’t like it and won’t watch it and instead turn into culture war bullshit.

You see the same thing with sitcoms like BBT when that was popular

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Pretty sure one of the earliest versions of the trope is A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, put out by Mark Twain in 1889. Although that wasn't a power fantasy with a Marty Stu, obviously.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Lodin posted:

Pretty sure one of the earliest versions of the trope is A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court, put out by Mark Twain in 1889. Although that wasn't a power fantasy with a Marty Stu, obviously.

this is less obvious to me than to you

e: cf chomp's post

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 27, 2019

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Doc Hawkins posted:

this is less obvious to me than to you

by the textbook definition mary sues can't exist outside of the turn-of-the-millennium online fanfic context; they're a sociological phenomenon born of a certain generation and demographic

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Lodin posted:

Have you read it? It kinda was lol.

Things the protagonist in Connecticut Yankee does...

* Mentally calculates exactly when a solar eclipse will occur, down to the minute, with absolutely no available info or reference material other than "what is the date".

* Provokes a bunch of knights into attacking him in public, shoots some dead, and the rest back down in awe of the power of his Big Strong Gun.

* Embarrasses the sorcerers of the land, like frickin Merlin, making everyone realize what shams they are, unlike him and his powerful magicks.

* Creates fully working modern infrastructure within medieval England simply by sharing his big brain knowledge.

* Goes full Alamo with basically WW1 weapons tech against the teeming hordes of Ignorant Christendom in the medieval period. Slaughters them by the thousands before finally being worn down.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 27, 2019

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Wasn't it supposed to be that the yankee is a big rear end in a top hat who sucks. Honestly it's hard to tell in anything because big assholes who suck love to see themselves and put themselves in media when it's supposed to be ironic

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Wasn't it supposed to be that the yankee is a big rear end in a top hat who sucks. Honestly it's hard to tell in anything because big assholes who suck love to see themselves and put themselves in media when it's supposed to be ironic

Yeah, but it's easy to skip over that and take it at face value if you're too young/uncritical when you first read it.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Everyone in the book was supposed to be an rear end in a top hat, just in different ways. I'm pretty sure Twain wrote it after his favorite daughter died, and he had become incredibly bitter.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Yeah, the Yankee was such an rear end that the whole reason he's back there in the first place is that he's a factory boss during the industrial revolution who was lovely enough to his people that he's experienced in fisticuffs and get's his noggin jumped by a lead pipe from an angry worker.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Dareon posted:

You're not wrong about Goblin Slayer, I found the fanservice egregious and stopped watching, but more harem animes should include a dwarf and a lizardman.

lmao. The gang rape of a teenager in the first episode wasn't bad enough to stop watching, but all the fanservice was just too much!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Goblin Slayer was alright. Decent watch, but not remarkable. The first episode absolutely has the intensity dialed up to 11 compared to the rest of the season. Almost as if the nerds being outraged online would inevitably draw interest from people otherwise never heard of it, resulting in more viewership!

People are very predictable.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Chomp8645 posted:

i am uncharitable towards it, but i am not inaccurate.

you seem like a very weird dude.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It does apparently vary wildly between web novel, light novel and anime so it might be that they just haven't read that part.

The anime is greatly watered down from the original material from what I've heard and it's still pretty drat awful.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

you seem like a very weird dude.

Did you base that assessment off of one sentence or do I know you???

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

lmao. The gang rape of a teenager in the first episode wasn't bad enough to stop watching, but all the fanservice was just too much!

lol if you think the gangrape of a teenager doesn't count as fanservice to bad isekai fans

I'm not sure how the timeline sorts out with regards to Connecticut Yankee, and am too lazy to spend five minutes googling, but the historical isekai discussion reminded me of the existence of the Edisonade genre, where a young, intelligent white man travels to, say, Darkest Africa and tames the wild hordes with the powers of 19th-century science.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.

Chomp8645 posted:

Goblin Slayer was alright. Decent watch, but not remarkable. The first episode absolutely has the intensity dialed up to 11 compared to the rest of the season. Almost as if the nerds being outraged online would inevitably draw interest from people otherwise never heard of it, resulting in more viewership!

People are very predictable.

The rape in the first episode wasn't even the worst part. The worst part about Goblin Slayer is that it's basically Great Replacement Theory: The Anime.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Dire Lemming posted:

Great Replacement Theory: The Anime.

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dire Lemming posted:

The rape in the first episode wasn't even the worst part. The worst part about Goblin Slayer is that it's basically Great Replacement Theory: The Anime.

It looks real bad, op.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPX2fWgoiyg