Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

peanut- posted:

Remco confirmed fraud.

shoulda stayed in juniors, kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I guess he really did loving hate the Merida bike.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
Would the Merida have been over a minute slower compared to his BMC? I suppose he wants all his equipment to be perfect and loses all enthusiasm if that isn't the case.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Heliosicle posted:

Would the Merida have been over a minute slower compared to his BMC? I suppose he wants all his equipment to be perfect and loses all enthusiasm if that isn't the case.

I think it's probably just cos he's a bit of a dickhead

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I didn’t see the race but his IG page says he finished second place?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

nwin posted:

I didn’t see the race but his IG page says he finished second place?

Yeah, that's the joke. People are being facetious. Rohan Dennis absolutely crushed that ITT (although I didn't see it either)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I remember things about teams complaining about the Merida TT bike being not the best. I usually figure that all the pro tour bikes are more or less identical in quality so if a team actually complains about theirs (the original Merckx frames AG2R used, and the 1x 3T bikes) it's probably notable.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I remember things about teams complaining about the Merida TT bike being not the best. I usually figure that all the pro tour bikes are more or less identical in quality so if a team actually complains about theirs (the original Merckx frames AG2R used, and the 1x 3T bikes) it's probably notable.

The only TT bike that is noticeably slower than the rest was the Cannondale Slice but thats caught up now, however you can be on the fastest bike in the world but if it doesnt fit you you'll go slower. He 100% had an issue with his position on the time warp which was why he kicked off so much.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He barely moved for about 45 minutes. No rocking, no shifting, no standing, just held in his tuck and went a poo poo load faster than anyone else. If the other bike was stopping him from doing that he probably had a point.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

goatface posted:

He barely moved for about 45 minutes. No rocking, no shifting, no standing, just held in his tuck and went a poo poo load faster than anyone else. If the other bike was stopping him from doing that he probably had a point.

1min saved in a TT of that distance is about ~30W. I could actually see the combination of skinsuit, terribad Rudy Project TT helmet, shoes, frame, wheels amounting to most of that difference at >30mph. If he can get in a more optimal position on the BMC, even better.

accipter
Sep 12, 2003
https://twitter.com/Doctor_Hutch/status/1176877497075605504

Apparently, he wasn't very happy with the Project Rudy aero helmets either.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
there was a lot of criticism/discussion about his mental health following his departure from the tour so who the gently caress knows

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

accipter posted:

https://twitter.com/Doctor_Hutch/status/1176877497075605504

Apparently, he wasn't very happy with the Project Rudy aero helmets either.

It's why I specifically described the Rudy Project as terribad. It's been subjected to the Chung method on Slowtwitch. They all hate it.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

TobinHatesYou posted:

Where is the Kate Courtney love. Next American men’s road hopeful probably isn’t Kuss...it’s Quinn Simmons. Rumor is he already has a Sunweb contract.

How ‘bout that Quinn Simmons, eh.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
looks like america is good at cycling again. wrap it up britailures

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Looks like the team that had an agreement with Simmons was Trek-Segafredo, not Sunweb.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Where are the hot takes on Quinn waving at the fans 2 laps out

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
These under 23s are showing they're ready for the big leagues by loving about at the front until they lose the race. Just like the elite pros.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Some loving all time brain dead riding by the lead group at the end of the u23, Christ

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Even more braindead by Eekhoff for drafting the team car to get back to the lead group tho

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He should know you need to be a much bigger name to get away with that.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

goatface posted:

He should know you need to be a much bigger name to get away with that.

You just need the entire peloton to hate the guys pushing the pace after the wreck and then the marshals draft you back themselves.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The replacement winner is still one of the 3 that the lead group let catch up in the final KM

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There was a lot of fannying about. The main peloton were at all afternoon as well.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
the camera switching off during ekhoffs sticky bottle is driving me nuts. why would you switch cameras right then?

I think they sticky-bottled him up the right side of the road, there’s no way they disqualified him for drafting, right?

https://twitter.com/laflammerouge16/status/1177644771482984448?s=21

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
also, Megan Jastrab bridging up to that Russki and sprinting away from all the crashes was so :fsmug:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Really bizarre to see a DQ for that at over 100k to go

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

paddyboat posted:

the camera switching off during ekhoffs sticky bottle is driving me nuts. why would you switch cameras right then?

I think they sticky-bottled him up the right side of the road, there’s no way they disqualified him for drafting, right?

https://twitter.com/laflammerouge16/status/1177644771482984448?s=21

I was all ready to go to bat for this guy but 'apparently' he was behind the team car for well over 4km before the cameras picked him up, doing 50-60kph. I say apparently because the cameras obviously didnt pick it up and he hasn't put his ride data up for anyone to see, but the VAR guys referred it immediately to the UCI.

He was stopped for at least 3 minutes so that would be about the right amount of time to get back to the cars at the speed the bunch were doing.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
But that's still normal on all levels of cycling right? It's so weird they start dq'ing for it now.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Rojkir posted:

But that's still normal on all levels of cycling right? It's so weird they start dq'ing for it now.

Generally drafting early in a race due to a mechanical or a not at fault crash is tolerated but not for like 5/6k off your team car and not the caravan

It's like sticky bottles where they don't give a poo poo unless you get towed 500m up a mountain

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Rojkir posted:

He was 'allegedly' clocked doing 40mph uphill, that can only be from holding on to the car. Nibali got done for that at the Vuelta a few years ago, but then Demare did the same thing and won Milan San Remo so who fuckin knows.

Basically some teams complained and it was on camera and he won the race so they had to do something.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Was Demare ever confirmed by video or was that one just due to suspicious GPS timing up the Cipressa

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Also the Dutch are complaining about a winner taking a spare bike from a team car in front of him but that's a rule that I have literally never heard of getting enforced

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Was Demare ever confirmed by video or was that one just due to suspicious GPS timing up the Cipressa

No video of the car, but there was a wonderful shot of him a minute off the back at the bottom, a KOM on Strava that would make a V12 engine blush and then a shot of him at the back of the group with some rather amazed commentators at his presence. Then a whole host of riders spoke out, which is quite amazing given they usually keep everything in the peloton so it must have been really, really obvious.

The Demare incident was one of the driving features for the VAR guy who looks at footage after races because it was embarrassing for everyone involved.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
https://twitter.com/alexfalkeman/status/1177650833984561153?s=19

Tbh this is kind of naughty, at this point the rider really should be putting in the work to move up the caravan

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Windy as hell today :getin:

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Feels Villeneuve posted:

https://twitter.com/alexfalkeman/status/1177650833984561153?s=19

Tbh this is kind of naughty, at this point the rider really should be putting in the work to move up the caravan

Do they normally draft the cars that close? Can't say I recall seeing it in the past, that's like the world speed record drafters. Maybe it's a 'you cheated and also did it in the most unsafe way possible' thing?

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Vando posted:

Do they normally draft the cars that close? Can't say I recall seeing it in the past, that's like the world speed record drafters. Maybe it's a 'you cheated and also did it in the most unsafe way possible' thing?

It's super rare, but I've seen it before. It's always a sign that someone is getting close to Nibali-levels of not giving a poo poo.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Yorkshire is gorgeous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
This course is absolutely brutal lmao.