Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Ilor posted:

I routinely run AW or re-skins thereof at convention games and have never had anyone even bat an eye at the sex moves.

It has been an issue with me presenting the game to a couple of existing gaming groups of mine*. It's not an arbitrary, theoretical concern.

*both via "haha, boobs" reactions and "why is this a sex game" reactions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Ilor posted:

I routinely run AW or re-skins thereof at convention games and have never had anyone even bat an eye at the sex moves.

It is a very non-trivial hurdle to getting people to play the game.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

The sex moves are fine, I'm sure, in convention crowds and in non-conventional crowds. They are a huge obstacle for an otherwise-great-intro-game in conventional crowds.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
A tactic that seems to work with new players and the sex moves is to frame it like other fiction. 'Did the last rated R/MA film or TV show you've seen have sex in it? Did it have consequences? That's why these moves exist.'

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

I like this less horny version of AW; I want to run it for the LGBT group on uni campus, but I didn't want to make the ace folks potentially uncomfortable, and as I'm on the very young end of what they call a mature student, I ain't running a game with sex moves where the players could be 10+ year younger then me. :byodood:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

BlackIronHeart posted:

A tactic that seems to work with new players and the sex moves is to frame it like other fiction. 'Did the last rated R/MA film or TV show you've seen have sex in it? Did it have consequences? That's why these moves exist.'

I don't really feel comfortable asking that to people I don't know that well, no. It's tough enough getting somebody to consider playing an RPG in the first place; I'm definitely not going to simultaneously put them on the spot about sex content. Hell, I love AW, but if somebody I didn't know asked me to play in some other game, and it had sex rules on the character sheet, I'd have some reservations. Maybe let's start by beating up some kobolds or stealing a plane or something and then we can think about pulling in some soap opera poo poo after I know the group.

Not to mention that there's a sizeable gulf between watching a movie where some characters have sex, versus roleplaying it out, in character, in public, with semi-strangers.

If it's worked out for you in the past, great, more power to you. But it's definitely outside my comfort zone.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Yeah maybe I'm just a prude, but sex doesn't really play much of a role in my games, and I'd be really uncomfortable introducing it to most of the groups I've gamed with. I think there's probably a certain type of role player that is comfortable with sexual content in an rpg and also capable of taking it seriously, but I don't game with them.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sex in RPGs is participatory in several ways (your character, an NPC you helped develop, or you as a witness), it simply can't be mandatory.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
You could cut this thread to five pages if you got rid of the litigation of sex moves.
Other changes sound fun.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Golden Bee posted:

You could cut this thread to five pages if you got rid of the litigation of sex moves.
Other changes sound fun.

The fact there's so much discussion about it kinda proves the point, though. It's a stumbling block for an otherwise easy to pitch game.

Also, the hardzones are really great for just picking up and playing apoc world without any prep. I'm a fan.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I know i've already spammed it in some discords, but I commissioned some art for my wrestler for WWW and it came out pretty well:

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Golden Bee posted:

Other changes sound fun.
I kinda disagree, but I'm not looking for a kids' game. Specials aside, I feel like the elimination of Hot and the reworking of some of the violence moves really changes the theme of the game. If that's what you're going for, great! But it's not what I'm looking for.

Hard Zones sound interesting in the abstract, but lol if you prep for Apocalypse World.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Ilor posted:

Did people sign up ahead of time? Presumably they're familiar with the game and what's involved. Selling it to people you know is a different story.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I was apprehensive about introducing AW to a group I set up with some of my coworkers because of the sex moves, but we were all adults so they were fine with it, especially when I made it clear that it would all be "fade to black" in terms of narrative. I think the stumbling block is there, but it turned out not to be a problem for my group at least.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

"I know you guys got creeped out when I introduced that game last week, but there's another version -- instead of "sex moves" there are now "hardzones" and th-. . . hey, wait, don't go"

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Halloween Jack posted:

Did people sign up ahead of time? Presumably they're familiar with the game and what's involved. Selling it to people you know is a different story.
In some cases they did and in others they didn't (usually drop-ins with generic tickets). Also, it's amazing how many people will sign up for a convention game even when they have no familiarity with the rules (I can't speak for others, but I do it as a way to try out new games). Because AW is such an easy system to pick up, I always tick the "no experience necessary/all materials provided" boxes for my events, so you get lots of people who have never played AW before. So no, I'm not "selling it to people I know," in many cases I'm introducing it to people who are brand new to it. I've even had parents show up with minors and it's literally never been an issue.

That said, people who are already into RPGs generally have a pretty good handle on building a narrative and the separation between player and character. Maybe they're more apt to just take it in stride than someone for whom RPGs are an utterly alien concept, but honestly once you explain than all an RPG is is a way to do shared storytelling, most people get it.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Tekopo posted:

I know i've already spammed it in some discords, but I commissioned some art for my wrestler for WWW and it came out pretty well:

Oh hell yeah, who did this?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Tekopo posted:

My first thought was that they were named Motrin

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Neopie posted:

Oh hell yeah, who did this?
Iisjah. She has a deviantart as well. The commission was entirely based on a written description of my character.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Tekopo posted:

You got to drop dat artists name, man. I need to know who I can comis for stuff like dat.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

megane posted:

Not to mention that there's a sizeable gulf between watching a movie where some characters have sex, versus roleplaying it out, in character, in public, with semi-strangers.

If it's worked out for you in the past, great, more power to you. But it's definitely outside my comfort zone.

For what it's worth, there's absolutely no requirement to actually roleplay the sex, and I think you'd get a lot more people being weirded out if that were part of it. It's relevant that, in the story, these characters hooked up. That's all the detail that needs to be provided.

If you're not okay with that either, no shame in that.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Covok posted:

You got to drop dat artists name, man. I need to know who I can comis for stuff like dat.
Yep, gave the name in my last post!

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Hello thread. I've been liking "short" PTBA or inspired games like World of Dungeons and Breakers, especially the latter. Any recs for similarly compact PTBA-like RPGs? I'm looking to make my own thing where the fat is trimmed as much as possible, and I want to see what's already out there.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Daylight Robbery is a very tightly designed implementation of the system in one shot format.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Any of the Legacy quickstart PDFs. They squeeze a playable RPG into 24 pages.

The Regiment assumes knowledge of the PbtA system and how to run it, but it's a complete hack in very few pages.
Here's the Colonial Marines version, http://mightyatom.blogspot.com/2013/02/the-regiment-colonial-marines-25.html

But where you really want to start is Simple World. It's a toolkit for making PbtA hacks from blank sheet to playable hack.
https://buriedwithoutceremony.com/little-games/simple-world

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Vincent’s next game has a KS now. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/226674021/under-hollow-hills

Looks even more confusing than standard PbtA.. ;)

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
There's nothing confusing about Apocalypse World.

EDIT: I take that back; in 2nd Edition, the concept of what it really means to be "in battle" is not well explained. But that's about it, everything else is remarkably self-explanatory.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ilor posted:

I'm gonna join the parade: I know folks who will not only reject AW, but any PBTA game, because they are that strongly turned off by the sex moves in AW and now they have developed a grossness halo in their head around even, say, WWWRPG.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Under Hollow Hills looks real good

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Impermanent posted:

Under Hollow Hills looks real good

It's very fascinating but I honestly have no idea how a game of it actually looks like. I hope there will be examples in the final product.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

paradoxGentleman posted:

It's very fascinating but I honestly have no idea how a game of it actually looks like. I hope there will be examples in the final product.

Honestly, that's the worst part about PbtA and FitD games. I've ran three campaigns of Blades and Apoc World derivatives—when I got my hands on Band of Blades I pretty much just threw my hands up and waited for Strass to run an AP.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

tokenbrownguy posted:

Honestly, that's the worst part about PbtA and FitD games. I've ran three campaigns of Blades and Apoc World derivatives—when I got my hands on Band of Blades I pretty much just threw my hands up and waited for Strass to run an AP.
This largely depends on the hack in question. The 1.0 version of Legacy for instance very much left us all feeling like maybe we were doing it all wrong? There were a lot of gaps there that I think have since been smoothed out in 2.0. We did a little better with Cartel. But other games like Scum & Villainy were pretty straightforward. Our biggest gripe there was the same as it is in the original BitD in that the published setting is pretty thin on details for how poo poo actually works. Like, OK, from the description I know what electroplasm is sort of, but, like...is it dangerous to handle? Does it burn human skin? What would happen if you drank it? Does it have a shelf life? Does it make noise? And while the author's advice of "It's whatever, do what you want!" is liberating, it's not exactly helpful for someone trying to lend some verisimilitude to someone else's weird ideas

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Ilor posted:

This largely depends on the hack in question. The 1.0 version of Legacy for instance very much left us all feeling like maybe we were doing it all wrong? There were a lot of gaps there that I think have since been smoothed out in 2.0. We did a little better with Cartel. But other games like Scum & Villainy were pretty straightforward. Our biggest gripe there was the same as it is in the original BitD in that the published setting is pretty thin on details for how poo poo actually works. Like, OK, from the description I know what electroplasm is sort of, but, like...is it dangerous to handle? Does it burn human skin? What would happen if you drank it? Does it have a shelf life? Does it make noise? And while the author's advice of "It's whatever, do what you want!" is liberating, it's not exactly helpful for someone trying to lend some verisimilitude to someone else's weird ideas

I never minded that aspect of it. Maybe it's all that Star Trek RPG stuff I played in high school. How do you replace dilithium crystals? Do you need a shipyard? Can you move them from ship to ship? Hand wave it!

My biggest problem in BitD was still the between-score moves. It seems too easy to just let people tick off options, as though there's nothing to reducing your heat score. On the other hand, you can't make too much out of it, because you it's still a between-score thing, not a score in and of itself. The rule book really needed more good actual play depictions to flesh that area out.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Yeah, the issue isn't so much "How does Ectoplasm work?" I get the need to figure that out as a group. It's more, "How the hell do I make the BoB campaign fun from the get-go?"

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Well, OK, but then you need to define "fun" for you and your group. Making a "fun" BitD game is super easy (barely an inconvenience) for people who like heists. I feel like that's more of a no-brainer if your players have bought into the premise of the game already. And as I understand it, the premise of BoB is "fight a heroic delaying action against a sinister and unstoppable foe." At that point, all you need to do is make sure your sessions a) give the PCs chances to be heroic while b) playing up the sinister and ultimately unstoppable nature of the foe.

What am I missing?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
It’s more that band of blades does some weird structural stuff to emulate military hierarchy.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Good questions. I agree that the strength of PbtA and FitD systems is the easy-bake concept. BoB’s premise grabbed my group right off the bat. We played three sessions of Saving Private Frodo and loved it. Same with Blades—the crime shenanigans are a license for every character to let out their inner murderhobo, and I’ve never run a session 1 that wasn’t a blast.

My issue is the mechanics designed to facilitate extended play often times aren’t as explicitly outlined as I’d hope. I had a three “season” Blades game over a year-and-a-half real time that was fun the whole way through, but definitely showing the weakness of the system by the end of the campaign. Mostly, this was because I made a few mistakes in the first two seasons:
- Didn’t press my players with nasty enough consequences to fictional actions
- Didn’t make higher tier threats as threatening as they should’ve been
- Was too generous with experience
- Didn’t account for what an extra player (# 5) would do to the stress economy

These mistakes led to the already terrifyingly effective Blades PCs become fictionally invincible except to truly out-of-scope threats. Not that this capability is by itself an issue—I believe that PCs should be capable for what they’re built. But the level of pain necessary to actually put them on the backfoot became more of a… high-stakes superhero or fantasy level in the fiction rather than a street-level crime game. By the third season they were running around in a demon-apocalypse’d Duskwall being chased by millitarized/Mad Max’d elements of the Bluecoats utilizing machine guns and mortars, wrestling demons, and flying skyships laden with ghost-nukes, and they’d still generally come out of scores relatively un-stressed / flush on resources.

Again, this was a blast. But now that I’m running a Hack the Planet campaign, I’m much more careful about outlining threats, sticking to the fictional strength of those threats, and generally speaking being nasty about consequences. I think while BitD encourages you to avoid the mistakes I made, I don’t think it conveyed what failing to do so would do to an extended campaign. Or conversely, the text never communicates what PCs at session 23 should look like in a “balanced” Blades game.

So when I ran Band of Blades, I was really uncertain how far I should pushing the limit with the mechanical threats / consequences. BoB claims that it is a very lethal game, and folks who’ve played (myself included) seem to agree that death spiral is, if not inevitable, pretty easy. Where’s the line? What’s the tipping point for players either getting too powerful, too quickly, or worse, getting the poo poo kicked out of them into a place where the game’s been lost?

I guess, ideally, I’d like to see more work done in PbtA and BitD systems to support extended play. That’s why I decided to wait for an AP of Band of Blades to come out. Not because I think my group couldn’t have fun with the game—because I wanted more clear expectations on how to keep the extended play mechanics engaging and in-tone. And hopefully, fun.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I can semi-agree; I feel like, generally, in blades, stress was quite manageable and money tended to come easily. What WAS bonkers, though, was any time someone let an injury happen without buying it off somehow it took them loving forever to recover, even (and especially gallingly) if it was something relatively minor. The balance between stress recovery and injury recover, IMO, feels insanely out of whack.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

spectralent posted:

I can semi-agree; I feel like, generally, in blades, stress was quite manageable and money tended to come easily.
This boggles my mind. I have both played in and run Blades and never had this experience. Managing stress is a huge deal in the game I run. I suspect it may have something to do with the fact that I pretty freely dole out unpleasant consequences as befits the starting position and level of success (or failure) and the PCs end up making a lot of resistance rolls to try to mitigate them. I'm also not afraid to tell a player that their chosen action (almost always the one with which they'll roll the most dice) starts out at "limited effect" or even "no effect" when they get super tenuous with their justification for using that action (e.g. using Study to determine the best/easiest way to sneak past the guards without spending really any time doing so, instead of the more appropriate Survey or the even more appropriate Prowl). They thus end up trading position for effect and pushing themselves to keep the terrible consequences at bay. They've finally started to make decent coin, but I think only one of them has put in enough stash to not be living in a cardboard box in an alley (they haven't yet bothered to add quarters to their lair, which at this point can best be described as "haunted as gently caress"). They spend a lot of coin on extra downtime actions to either help reduce Heat or pursue their various pet projects.

When I was playing, I was often in the same boat - dirt poor and often going into scores still carrying stress from the previous hare-brained thing I had attempted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

the gm really has to hit the pcs hard in blades. and watch out for when someone figures out that if they spread their xp out and take 1 point in every action they'll make all resistance rolls with at least 4 dice, meaning they're basically invincible