Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Every day is a new day I don't regret leaving Facebook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

throw to first drat IT posted:

I guess everyone hovers without legs so that Zucc can fake being tall?

From my experience with doing VR development, guessing where your legs are just from a head position and the locations of your hands is non-trivial because our bodies are so flexible.

For example, if the head rotated around the vertical axis, did the body turn or just the neck? Did the feet turn or just the hips? You can't really tell that with those three pieces of information. You can guess, but the effect of seeing your avatar legs not matching your real legs is disorienting. So most VR doesn't seem to bother.

Which is a pity because being able to look down and see different legs than your normal ones would be really immersive.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Maybe they looked at Second Life and decided against giving their characters crotches.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Elman posted:

Maybe they looked at Second Life and decided against giving their characters crotches.

That will stop exactly no one who's determined to have a virtual crotch.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

zuccs vision of a perfect world is genital free it follows

Koishi Komeiji
Mar 30, 2003

So it's just a lovely version of VR chat? And your avatar has to be some generic looking cartoony human with no legs? Cause in VR chat you can be a 90 foot tall Hank Hill in a pink dress that shits out little Bobby Hill heads and that's been around for like half a decade now.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

foobardog posted:

From my experience with doing VR development, guessing where your legs are just from a head position and the locations of your hands is non-trivial because our bodies are so flexible.

For example, if the head rotated around the vertical axis, did the body turn or just the neck? Did the feet turn or just the hips? You can't really tell that with those three pieces of information. You can guess, but the effect of seeing your avatar legs not matching your real legs is disorienting. So most VR doesn't seem to bother.

Which is a pity because being able to look down and see different legs than your normal ones would be really immersive.

not seeing legs is so weird it'd be a deal breaker for me (even assuming i had the money and the inclination to buy this in the first place)

like just do "dumb" legs that always point the direction you're facing. or at least display everyone else having legs, since you rarely spend time looking at your own legs and it's weirder to see everyone else just kind of hovering

edit: or make it so that avatars can only be non-human non-anthropomorphic things so that the lack of legs isn't as weird

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

I want a toilet that shares my bowel movement data automatically

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Norton posted:

I want a toilet that shares my bowel movement data automatically

you want a smartpipe

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

why the gently caress does anyone need a bluetooth connected toothbrush

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Kuvo posted:

why the gently caress does anyone need a bluetooth connected toothbrush

purple death ray posted:

They could all be completely safe and verified secure by multiple independent sources and they'd still be dumb bullshit created so idiots with too much money can pretend they live on the starship enterprise

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

vr sim by rob liefield

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Peanut President posted:

vr sim by rob liefield

:golfclap:

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Son did you brush your teeth before bed?

No dad my toothbrush is doing a firmware update.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
https://twitter.com/buttpraxis/status/1177372805278490624

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=Is8eXZco46Q

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Is a face mask not enough???

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

jokes on him, i coughed on his phone

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Shrecknet posted:

In the exceptionally good George Clooney movie Up in the Air, he plays a corporate firing guy who goes from company to company doing layoffs. In the film, with the exception of two actors who have plot significance, the rest of the people getting 'fired' are real people who were recently fired from a local St Louis office. They were not actors and they were not given instructions other than to react normally.

In the movie, another plot point is Anna Kendrick devising a system to fire people remotely via Skype.

That's a fun fact. They also shot the movie in an office building that was empty because everyone had been fired. I wonder if anybody got paid $50 to get fired from their old job again on camera.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

If they had lines (I don't recall), they at least got some day rate per SAG rules. I'm thinking it's higher than 50 bucks but I don't know actually

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Krankenstyle posted:

If they had lines (I don't recall), they at least got some day rate per SAG rules. I'm thinking it's higher than 50 bucks but I don't know actually

The fifty bucks thing is a half-remembered factoid from probably twenty years ago. My point was I wonder if anybody got fired from General American (the company with acute-angled conference rooms), and then got invited back to pretend to be fired again.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

oh yeah maybe they got a bump in their severance package lol

actually that wouldnt make sense, theyre making the company/industry look bad so any money they got was from the movie production.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Krankenstyle posted:

oh yeah maybe they got a bump in their severance package lol

actually that wouldnt make sense, theyre making the company/industry look bad so any money they got was from the movie production.

Yeah, paid by the movie company, but would still be extra-weird returning to your old office-turned-movie set to get fired again on camera to demonstrate the humanity of being fired to your face.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

PerniciousKnid posted:

Yeah, paid by the movie company, but would still be extra-weird returning to your old office-turned-movie set to get fired again on camera to demonstrate the humanity of being fired to your face.

lol true, thats extremely dystopic

even more dystopic would be to throw a chair in clooneys face and double up his liberal damage

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Iron Crowned posted:

Every day is a new day I don't regret leaving Facebook

I’m convinced that this will be presented as a premier solution to climate adaptation

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Krankenstyle posted:

lol true, thats extremely dystopic

even more dystopic would be to throw a chair in clooneys face and double up his liberal damage

The next dystopian job after influencer is professional getting fired person

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Alan Smithee posted:

Rather do that than peddle lootboxes and digital hats, tbqh.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

Automation has already taken that job tho

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Mondian posted:

Automation has already taken that job tho

Did I miss the whole fired robot trend

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Alan Smithee posted:

Did I miss the whole fired robot trend

you did

theres now a VR person you can fire over and over again until your empathy is dead

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
also amazon will fire you by algorithm if your manager forgets to renew your authorization, for the job you already have

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

also amazon will fire you by algorithm if your manager forgets to renew your authorization, for the job you already have

thats different. your manager wont even realize it to feel bad there, their assigned workers just shift one to the left

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

There's a great subversive flick on Netflix called The Clapper about essentially that.

Shrecknet has issued a correction as of 01:17 on Sep 28, 2019

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Shrecknet posted:

There's a great subversive flick on Netflix called The Flapper about essentially that.

I’m not seeing it?

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

now that’s subversive

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Clapper != Flapper

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Yeah I was wondering if Netflix paid 100 million for a movie made in 1920

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.
netflix paid 100 million for the plot of a koth episode