Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Pro-tip for my fellow water flask lovers-- you can right click a potion icon in the hotbar to empty it immediately instead of having to dump the whole thing out pixel by pixel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

goferchan posted:

Pro-tip for my fellow water flask lovers-- you can right click a potion icon in the hotbar to empty it immediately instead of having to dump the whole thing out pixel by pixel

WHAT?!!!!!!!!!!!! I was typing up a reply to your spoilered post asking literally this. Hot drat this game keeps getting cooler.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

goferchan posted:

Yeah right now the game is extremely fun to play but not quite so fun to play to win. Which is just fine with me at this point, honestly, they've got plenty of time to work out balancing and difficulty issues. The core game is so loving cool.

:yeah:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Ooh another find. Beating a level with no direct kills (so only accident/environmental stuff) spawns a chest in Holy Mountain. It seems like any other random chest -- done it twice now and I got 200ish gold the first time, a wand on the second .

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Huh. Right below the start point I found a cache of various potions in a burning room. One of them was teleportatium that spilled, and whisked me away to an electrified pond. Fastest death ever!

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
What is inside the diamond thing at the far right side of the map?

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

goferchan posted:

Thank you so much for this

Has anyone seen an extremely rare enemy in the mines, a black shadowy ghost that looks a bit like the player character - it has a ton of health, you can see it on screen even if it flies into unexplored areas. It seems to be a massive hp sponge and loves to pick up wands. Ive seen it twice and the time i managed to finish it by kicking a minecart into its face it dropped an insane amount of gold

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
i was not having a good run at all, and then this happened

https://i.imgur.com/3Ztu1uG.mp4

For reference: while fleeing from a horde of enemies, another enemy stole a nuke wand and fired it at me twice, i survived due to explosion resistance but was set on fire, so i made a beeline for the portal (which I was already doing) and got chunked by falling debris knocked loose by the nuke

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

I Said No posted:

i was not having a good run at all, and then this happened

https://i.imgur.com/3Ztu1uG.mp4

For reference: while fleeing from a horde of enemies, another enemy stole a nuke wand and fired it at me twice, i survived due to explosion resistance but was set on fire, so i made a beeline for the portal (which I was already doing) and got chunked by falling debris knocked loose by the nuke

game of the loving year

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

goty 2019: noita early access
goty 2020: noita actually comes out

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.
Maybe I'm just bad at this game so far, but I could also do with more wands. I've probably had like 15 runs, reached Ice level a couple of times, and I've found a wand in like half of them. Most of them have been a different kind of weak from the beginner wand, or a utility wand like the rain cloud. Or more bombs just like the beginner bomb wand.

Only once did I find a fully loaded 6xSpell crazy wand but I died the very next second before I could fire.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
You really should search each level for wands, chests and components as much as possible. Even if you don't find any, it's good to get a few hundred gold to buy something from the temple shop. Enemies don't respawn and there's no time pressure, so the only consideration is if you have enough health to survive exploring.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Hooooly poo poo the enemy spawn rate just ramps up to crazy levels in 4 and onwards.
IMO my biggest complaints is that the base movement speed is too slow, and your HP is Nuclear Throne levels of fragile but without the amount of mitigation you can do in that game.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Hooooly poo poo the enemy spawn rate just ramps up to crazy levels in 4 and onwards.
IMO my biggest complaints is that the base movement speed is too slow, and your HP is Nuclear Throne levels of fragile but without the amount of mitigation you can do in that game.

Hiisi snipers can gently caress right off

EvilMike
Dec 6, 2004

Zedlic posted:

Maybe I'm just bad at this game so far, but I could also do with more wands. I've probably had like 15 runs, reached Ice level a couple of times, and I've found a wand in like half of them. Most of them have been a different kind of weak from the beginner wand, or a utility wand like the rain cloud. Or more bombs just like the beginner bomb wand.

Only once did I find a fully loaded 6xSpell crazy wand but I died the very next second before I could fire.

I feel like wands are common enough as long as you explore a decent amount. It would be nice if the shops were more consistent though, sometimes they don't even have wands for sale.I think shops in these kinds of games work best as a way of smoothing out randomness in item drops.

If there's one kind of item that's too RNG reliant it's health upgrades, sometimes you can find 3 or 4 easily on the first level and sometimes it seems like they never spawn. These really make a huge difference in survivability in my experience. Would kinda prefer if health upgrades were just guaranteed on every holy mountain and much rarer to find in the actual levels.

Part of it is due to later levels being way too lethal too though. IMO you should explore as much of the first couple levels as possible and try to get a reliable way to dig/avoid everything, and then once you have that tunnel your way to victory. From the ice caves onwards, the less time you spend in those levels the better.

Zedlic
Mar 10, 2005

Ask me about being too much of a sperging idiot to understand what resisting arrest means.

EvilMike posted:

I feel like wands are common enough as long as you explore a decent amount. It would be nice if the shops were more consistent though, sometimes they don't even have wands for sale.I think shops in these kinds of games work best as a way of smoothing out randomness in item drops.

Yeah I have definitely not been exploring that much in the early levels, purely because I'm probably on fire and need to find the exit fast before I die.

I'm getting better though.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Clark Nova posted:

I’ve snuck around over the lava pit to the right of the mines, down a wall and back underneath it to the left through a huge empty area to the ice caves below the second temple. You could do that in reverse if you have massively boosted/unlimited flight

Just tap the jump button instead of holding it as you fly to use less flight energy. You can sail over the top of the wall to find an ORB and hover from there to get back to the first level, no low gravity or polymorph required!

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

BaconCopter posted:

:yeah:

Poison is way too loving deadly and it dampens the flow of gameplay. You can't really afford to let it tick since it'll do more damage than a gun to the face.

They could at least make the perk more common. RNG, sure, but I've only even seen it in the shop two or three times over a ton of (albeit rather short) runs.

This is like nethack where if you have teleporitis, it's basically a free teleport but uncontrollable. You can fix it by finding a ring of teleport control which stops the uncontrollable-ness and actually lets you choose to teleport or teleport whenever it tries to warp you somewhere else.

It's a solution to fix something to give benefit.

In this game, it's simply get a potion of any kind, dump out it's entire contents (either right click it to spew whatever is inside or right click in inventory to dump it all at once) and just fill it water. One bottle can fix a lot of things many times during a level. Don't like acid, squirt it up into the air and get a shower. On fire? Take a shower. A big crater full of fire/lava. Use it like a water hose to make it safer.

What I am saying is that the gameplay is and it gives you lots of tools to fix things if you prepare. A bottle of water is the easier solution. Hell, you can fill up at the pools where you refill health and charges.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

EVIL Gibson posted:

This is like nethack where if you have teleporitis, it's basically a free teleport but uncontrollable. You can fix it by finding a ring of teleport control which stops the uncontrollable-ness and actually lets you choose to teleport or teleport whenever it tries to warp you somewhere else.

It's a solution to fix something to give benefit.

In this game, it's simply get a potion of any kind, dump out it's entire contents (either right click it to spew whatever is inside or right click in inventory to dump it all at once) and just fill it water. One bottle can fix a lot of things many times during a level. Don't like acid, squirt it up into the air and get a shower. On fire? Take a shower. A big crater full of fire/lava. Use it like a water hose to make it safer.

What I am saying is that the gameplay is and it gives you lots of tools to fix things if you prepare. A bottle of water is the easier solution. Hell, you can fill up at the pools where you refill health and charges.

The game is lacking in communication. I only learn things like "dumping out potions will allow you to fill bottles with water," here in this thread.

I do wish there were guaranteed spawns of stuff like max health ups and wands, though, even if it was something like X per level. That would smooth out the difficulty curve almost as much as reducing sludge's tick damage.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

https://streamable.com/k7hxw
This is my favorite wand ever, what a find for the very start of the game.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Twice now I've found a completely ridiculous wand in a chest just outside the dungeon at the start. First time it had a bunch of tnt and a triple shot, this time it has 7 large fireballs that it casts 2 at a time

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
What happens if a teleportation wand has double shots?

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

What happens if a teleportation wand has double shots?

i had an octagon teleportation wand. it fires all of them and you teleport to all of them in order of when they landed. if two land at nearly the same time, you teleport to the further one.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Describing the mechanics of statuses has nothing to do with wanting Toxicpoison to do less damage per tick :confused:

But thanks for the description, I guess?

<--- is a dummy

BaconCopter fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 28, 2019

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

BaconCopter posted:

Describing the mechanics of statuses has nothing to do with wanting Toxic to do less damage per tick :confused:

But thanks for the description, I guess?

All you need to completely nullify toxic is finding a jar and a little water. It's pretty damaging but water just turns it into more water.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Mischievous Mink posted:

All you need to completely nullify toxic is finding a jar and a little water. It's pretty damaging but water just turns it into more water.

ok ignore pretty much everything I've said, completely misread everything.

Uhhh... game is good. Lots of cool interactions that I'm sure will only get better.

BaconCopter fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 28, 2019

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Here's the map of the world to scale. Pretty loving big!

I Said No
May 21, 2007

loving teleport juice! :argh:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Man Lightning Bolt is really easy to kill yourself with but other than that it's insanely OP. It's a highly damaging railgun with infinite charges and great range and accuracy . I just got one floor 3 and then got super excited when I picked up the "electrified" perk in holy mountain and immediately in floor 4 i landed on one of those steel floors and electrified one of the freezing gas canisters and detonated it and was instantly killed :smith:

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

goferchan posted:

Man Lightning Bolt is really easy to kill yourself with but other than that it's insanely OP. It's a highly damaging railgun with infinite charges and great range and accuracy . I just got one floor 3 and then got super excited when I picked up the "electrified" perk in holy mountain and immediately in floor 4 i landed on one of those steel floors and electrified one of the freezing gas canisters and detonated it and was instantly killed :smith:

Lightning bolt is so cool, they really nailed the sound effect too. Its a lot of fun hiding behind bits of scenery on the third floor and jumping out to ambush the jetpack mooks with lightning. I had a lightning wand and one that shot 3 of the electric mage projectile things at the same time. And the electric perk... I felt like a god

Died the exact same way. Got set on fire in the base, started spraying water between a canister and wall to make a little pond to put the fire out, canister exploded :negative:

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
The world map for this game is really, really bizzare. I'm sure they plan to fill the empty areas but just the way everything is laid out in those world maps people have charted are surreal and almost whimsical. It reminds me of being a 10-year-old kid and designing new sonic the hedgehog levels on A3 sheets of paper with the most arbitrary, silly layouts and crazy ideas possible.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 28, 2019

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

nightwisher posted:

The world map for this game is really, really bizzare. I'm sure they plan to fill the empty areas but just the way everything is laid out in those world maps people have charted are surreal and almost whimsical. It reminds me of being a 10-year-old kid and designing new sonic the hedgehog levels on A3 sheets of paper with the most arbitrary, silly layouts and crazy ideas possible.

there was an AMA right before release and when one of the devs was asked about how "complete" the game is in early access they basically said that most of the planned areas exist in the game currently but only the early areas are "fully polished". So I'm assuming the plan is that the lateral zones will be fleshed out in the same way that the main branch is, at some point. Agreed that right now they're really empty but they're also incredibly cool to see for the first time when you're only used to going straight down

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Playing as a psychic mole-rat is really effective.

I half expect the game to send worms after me, but I seem to be able to scum an awful, awful lot.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Honestly one of the biggest things I'm looking forward to being balanced/fleshed out is max HP upgrades. They can EASILY make or break your run and right now they seem completely random to where you might find 3 in the first zone or you may go down forever without running into one . I think it needs to be more consistent like tied to killing an elite/out-of-depth enemy on each floor or something

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
holy poo poo this game is hard

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Just found a weird potential glitch, if you get lucky enough with the "50% chance the other perks don't disappear when you grab one" and get a lot of perks they seem to start to take up your flask slots for some reason? It wasn't a big deal since there wasn't a single loving flask until after this could have become an issue (I got all 4 at once with Extra Perk) going into the Underground Jungle. Had to sprint down on two floors because of loving toxic and nothing to deal with it, but got eaten by the worm boss after getting it to about 50% with a mean lightning bolt wand.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004

goferchan posted:

there was an AMA right before release and when one of the devs was asked about how "complete" the game is in early access they basically said that most of the planned areas exist in the game currently but only the early areas are "fully polished". So I'm assuming the plan is that the lateral zones will be fleshed out in the same way that the main branch is, at some point. Agreed that right now they're really empty but they're also incredibly cool to see for the first time when you're only used to going straight down

This really makes me happy to hear, I was concerned all these "optional" areas were just remnants from world-gen testing. It's rare to have a game nowadays that feels fresh and exciting to explore since most common gameplay mechanics have crystallized over the last ~10 years, leaving few genuinely new experiences. Even on a fundamental level, the way this game works is a real breath of fresh air in the scene. I've casually messed around with Powdertoy for years and years now and all I've ever really wanted is a game that incorporates that kind of per-pixel interaction, but with actual gameplay mechanics behind it.

edit: What a start to a new run, an 8 slot wand with 0.1 cast delay and 0.07 recharge time, pre-packed with 7 bouncing burst, which further reduce cast delay by 0.03 per stack. It's a gatling gun that shredded one of those fucker imps in a fraction of a second.

nightwisher fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Sep 28, 2019

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

I cannot see how Teleportitis could ever be worth getting over another perk but I think everyone should try it once. I stepped in acid, got teleported into fire, bounced around a few more times and eventually got dropped right in front of the level exit in time to put myself out. I just died outright in the next level.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

After a few days the game's downsides are wearying me a bit. It never feels like just a single thing goes wrong in the game that you can come back from - taking any damage quite often rapidly snowballs into a hell situation that either kills you or doesn't leave you with enough health to realistically survive the rest of the area. Running the mines and coal pits repeatedly is getting a bit stale, especially after said frustrating deaths - and somewhat often the game doesn't really give you any decent wands in the first two areas, anything short of sawblades or lightning from the third area onwards is just not going to get you through. And all of this is just not a good combo with access to healing being ultra rare - if any fight can easily kill you from full health, there needs to be more in the way of recovery options, especially with all the environmental attrition too.

I love this game a lot and want to see it thrive, hopefully these rough edges get smoothed out a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

I Said No posted:

and somewhat often the game doesn't really give you any decent wands in the first two areas, anything short of sawblades or lightning from the third area onwards is just not going to get you through.
I can't really agree with this when my first couple of wins didn't use either of those things.

I think a lot of people need to learn to use limited spells more. Things like firebolt are quite common and even the weaker ones will oneshot most humanoid enemies, and if you only get magic arrows/lances/beams etc you can still make great damage wands out of those by just swapping them onto wands with the best stats available.