Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
I only listened to a few episodes of citations needed but what I heard was mostly the two main guys going through examples of news media behaving exactly as you'd expect them to and then some guest giving a tortuous explanation of why it's Bad. Nothing wrong with it, I guess, but I didn't really get anything out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's a good podcast. and i'm stupidly picky when it comes to them.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

pickiness isn't really correlated with good taste

Serf
May 5, 2011

citations needed rules. the best part is when one of the hosts goes off script because they get actually mad for a moment and have to calm down

also their interview with that msnbc guy where he just admits that they feed off of other news channels and do what they do

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Lester Shy posted:

Citations Needed is really good, but neither the hosts nor the subject matter are particularly funny so I just end up pissed off after listening.

yea it's a really good podcast but I just kinda can't listen to a dry reading of terrible things anymore. Like I just get angry with them and then I'm...just angry, there's no joke or whatever so I'm just going 'yea no for real gently caress Nate Silver' but since I'm just a rando all I can really do is post 'suck my dick Nate' on his next tweet or whatever.

Like, people can debate the general tone of most of the big lefty podcasts and all but I do think they kinda need the pressure vent of 'uh hey guys check out this psycho tradcath who thinks his wife who hates him has 8 demons in her'.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Lester Shy posted:

Citations Needed is really good, but neither the hosts nor the subject matter are particularly funny so I just end up pissed off after listening.

Plus they had a thing where they'd basically run down the topic thoroughly and then have the guest on so it was kind of redundant, but they've been better on that

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

the essential early episodes are the new york times episode with the FAIR people and the one on vox/freedom house

the early episodes were better in general really

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I listen to Citations Needed sandwiched in between other, funnier, podcasts as a nice palette cleanser that also gets me real mad.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Citations Needed is really good for converting a certain kind of person (decorum liberal) though. The framing of the thesis backed by evidence, context and the the interview. Not everyone is Online like we are.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
I just recently ponied up for the Radio War Nerd podcast, and it's been worth way more than I paid for it, I should probably up my subscription level.

THS
Sep 15, 2017

yeah Citations Needed is for sending to your lib friends who need a Serious Takedown of Jake Tapper or whatever.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jonah Galtberg posted:

pickiness isn't really correlated with good taste

yes it is.

https://twitter.com/cushbomb/status/1177604872423772173

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm so sad Matt's free of the view burden after today, he won't see Hilary on it next week!

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i think he'll sneak in episodes from time to time using the same justification for why he still watches snl

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i think he'll sneak in episodes from time to time using the same justification for why he still watches snl

They've further poisoned the poor man's soul

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Not even orbs could fix that toxic waste site of a soul

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Stringent posted:

I just recently ponied up for the Radio War Nerd podcast, and it's been worth way more than I paid for it, I should probably up my subscription level.

I spent my vacation in 2016 walking around town and hanging out listening to RWN backlog eps back-to-back.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Matt sacrificed his soul for his listening sins.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

rapeface posted:

Citations Needed is really good for converting a certain kind of person (decorum liberal) though. The framing of the thesis backed by evidence, context and the the interview. Not everyone is Online like we are.

I have a decorum lib friend I'm continually radicalizing who finds my online-ness inscrutable, and CN is the perfect pill to send him to break his crush on Nate Silver. My buddy is smart as gently caress and has a genuinely good soul, but he's also a white tech guy with a great job from a loving, wealthy, atheist family, he got a great education in comp sci, and everything in his life has basically worked perfectly for him, so it's more difficult for him to see past the neolib marketing about meritocracy and trustworthy institutions and technocratic, incremental progress.

I, on the other hand, grew up impoverished in a fundamentalist Christian death cult with a deeply broken family who did manual labor if they did anything at all, many of whom were physically and/or mentally hosed up. The "evidence" for me is a part of my upbringing, so I already have buy-in and can skip straight to the rude jokes we use to cope with seeing life through the They Live shades. CN is great for rationally presenting that evidence in discrete chunks for people who need convincing, like my friend.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

MonsieurChoc posted:

Matt sacrificed his soul for his listening sins.

He said he's still gonna tune in for the Clinton episode. I think the matter/anti-matter combination of dumbass heiress morons Meghan and Chelsea will create a black hole that sucks only Matt into it

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/JTramiers/status/1177371724704301056

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

I'm not a Warren supporter but I do enjoy the depressed horse show. Arguably worse.

Also Chris's podcast And Introducing is amazing, everyone needs to check it out.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

sigh

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

The Muppets On PCP posted:

Matt's gonna take a page out of The War Nerd's book and start reading comments sections on Yahoo! news articles to get a feel for the American masses

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://twitter.com/JTramiers/status/1177500609856978945?s=19

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/kath_krueger/status/1177705253254377473

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Matt spared no expense

Uranium
Sep 11, 2001

Through constant decay
Uranium creates
the radioactive ray.

please photoshop that so it looks like matt is playing a double bass solo tia

THS
Sep 15, 2017

off the charts power levels

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

Computer, can I get a hat wobble?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Computer, is there any way to generate a Nude Matt?

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Stringent posted:

this is a really good show, i just found it thanks to Chapo. today i finished the episode on the MEK with Nima Shirazi and it's totally engrossing. the ep about the Iran-Iraq war is quite good too. any other essential listening suggestions from fans?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Stark Fist posted:

this is a really good show, i just found it thanks to Chapo. today i finished the episode on the MEK with Nima Shirazi and it's totally engrossing. the ep about the Iran-Iraq war is quite good too. any other essential listening suggestions from fans?

If you care about the 100 Years War they talk about... all of it over like 6 or 7 episodes. I also liked the episode about the Paris Review being a CIA front just because it's an interesting topic I didn't know about.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
The episodes about "The Spike", the Iran-US war scenarios, and the one about Bolivar/Chavez and Ukraine were all very interesting.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Stark Fist posted:

anything with max blumenthal or yasha levine is a good bet.

one i like in particular is ep 120 - the secret military history of the internet

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

If you care about the 100 Years War they talk about... all of it over like 6 or 7 episodes. I also liked the episode about the Paris Review being a CIA front just because it's an interesting topic I didn't know about.

I loved Barbara Tuchman's book about it so I'll definitely have a listen

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Serf posted:

citations needed rules. the best part is when one of the hosts goes off script because they get actually mad for a moment and have to calm down

also their interview with that msnbc guy where he just admits that they feed off of other news channels and do what they do

sounds like my kinda jam.

I just cant get into E1 at all. Does it get any better?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Race Realists posted:

I've only ever listened to one episode because it had Felix on it, but it was so good I've kind avoided listening to any other because I don't think the series could maintain that quality

https://soundcloud.com/episode-one-868768631/e1-two-weeks-paid-leave-12

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.

Race Realists posted:

Starting at the uh, episode 1 is kinda rough. For the most part you're not missing anything by skipping around. Red Camaro poster might be a good intro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Race Realists posted:

i can't get into e1 either

i went for a long time without being able to "get" your kickstarter sucks, but episode 86 clicked something in my brain and now its quickly becoming my favorite podcast. its like hollywood handbook but appealing to me