Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Is the white house just leaking all the crimes now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

There Bias Two posted:

https://twitter.com/DanaBashCNN/status/1177717610839977984

He has since denied being in support of impeachment.

Basically he supports investigation, he doesn’t support impeaching right now.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

skylined! posted:

Is the white house just leaking all the crimes now

The underlings are afraid and they're squirting out their innards in defense like sea cucumbers

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

SpaceDrake posted:

The crimes-we-wanted-to-keep-down-low firehose has no shut-off spigot

it is an endless fountain of crimes now

....the Trump train has no brakes?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

The Glumslinger posted:

A sane administration would fight tooth and nail to never let it see the light of day, but they also would have with that transcript. If the Democrats subpoena it, we will almost certainly get excerpts, if not the entire transcripts

There's essentially zero way to delete them now without someone with both access and clearance deciding that they want to sabotage their entire career and life and probably end up imprisoned for loving with classified materials.

And yeah a business as usual administration would've just destroyed the transcripts and then claimed innocence and stonewalled any inquiry.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Ayyyyy... I'm extortin' all the countries ova here!

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I still can’t believe that they voluntarily released that memo.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I still can’t believe that they voluntarily released that memo.

I thought surely something was up if McConnell wasn’t fighting it but nope, just a bare rear end revealed for the whole world to see.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/mateagold/status/1177729058794278912

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

That one's gotten me out of a lot of scrapes.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
“I’m not corrupt just really stupid”

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Oh hay it's the guy who got the Rosneft payout.

No I don't have time to recapitulate that now. Go read my posts from three years ago.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Herstory Begins Now posted:

There's essentially zero way to delete them now without someone with both access and clearance deciding that they want to sabotage their entire career and life and probably end up imprisoned for loving with classified materials.

And yeah a business as usual administration would've just destroyed the transcripts and then claimed innocence and stonewalled any inquiry.

I agree, destroying them is No Longer Feasible (wasn't from the moment they stupidly decided to put all the crimes.txt files on one of the most secure servers in the world) and so the best they can reasonably expect is having them run past a special master to determine what parts were correctly super classified, and lol good loving luck with that guys

at least one committee is going to read almost all the things in all the transcripts behind closed doors

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
We're at the event horizon of a crimehole, where spacecrime is so strong that nothing can escape

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Oh for gently caress's sake. Come on NYT, you don't need to protect them, the ratings won't get worse if you describe a crime as a crime.

Edit: they must have changed it after Popehat pointed it out

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 28, 2019

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

This is what gets me, how did they ever think this was a better way of covering things up?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I think the thing that amazes me the most, and maybe this is just me posting from behind Bernie tinted glasses, is all of this was done for Joe loving Biden.

The guy is the only candidate running in worst physical shape and Trump is doing all this stupid poo poo to knife him. Trump should be supporting Biden all the way so he can make fun of his dead son on stage or whatever.

Instead we're going to get a scandal that could do serious damage to Trump AND Biden at the same time.

Like, who do I sacrifice to for that?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/travis_view/status/1177719325681020928

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Oh for gently caress's sake. Come on NYT, you don't need to protect them, the ratings won't get worse if you describe a crime as a crime.

They have gotten really accustomed to editing poo poo after the fact, like bad game devs.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Oh my God, I just figured it out.

The bulk of the whistleblower's complaint was about misclassification and abusing the secrecy system. The White House knew about the scandal, so to get out ahead of it they released the transcript.

That's why they thought releasing the transcript would make the whistleblower's decision go away.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

i mean, there's a playbook for this, as Scooter Libby and Olly North can attest. you do the unquestionably criminal thing, then you get pardoned and go on wingnut welfare for the rest of your days.

but you'd better be REAL sure you get all the copies

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Tibalt posted:

The bulk of the whistleblower's complaint was about misclassification and abusing the secrecy system. The White House knew about the scandal, so to get out ahead of it they released the transcript.

That's why they thought releasing the transcript would make the whistleblower's decision go away.

It would explain why he bizarrely keeps calling it a perfect phone call as if the contents were beyond reproach.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Tibalt posted:

Is it possible Trump just didn't understand how bad all that poo poo made him look?

Like none of the people actively involved in releasing that didn't stop to think for a second?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Tibalt posted:

this would be so stupid that I think it's pretty likely

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

FizFashizzle posted:

Is it possible Trump just didn't understand how bad all that poo poo made him look?

Like none of the people actively involved in releasing that didn't stop to think for a second?

Trump thought that people would be impressed that he was so polite on the call.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

GreyjoyBastard posted:

It's really a matter of what would be the STUPIDEST thing, because it's that.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/ParkerMolloy/status/1177730558891380736

breaking news.

CHEF!!!
Feb 22, 2001

These past few days have been so insane I stopped watching Better Than Us on Netflix while doing cardio in the morning and read this thread. The crimeularity has me within its CRIMES.txt grasp.

This special envoy who just resigned, Kurt Volker, is still going to be deposed, right? This resignation isn't a valid "ONE WEIRD TRICK" to get out of testifying and he will be subpoenaed or otherwise hauled before the House, if my understanding is correct .

...And am I crazy for just thinking that he realized being a fall guy for such a disingenuous orange turd as Trump is loving idiotic and he's going to be talking to a lawyer about approaching the House investigators with "Give me immunity and boy oh boy do I have some juicy information you'll want to hear! ?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

... gently caress my life, this is in my town. :gonk:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

CHEF!!! posted:

These past few days have been so insane I stopped watching Better Than Us on Netflix while doing cardio in the morning and read this thread. The crimeularity has me within its CRIMES.txt grasp.

He's still going to be deposed, right? This resignation isn't a valid "ONE WEIRD TRICK" to get out of testifying and he will be subpoenaed or otherwise hauled before the House, if my understanding is correct .

...And am I crazy for just thinking that he realized being a fall guy for such a disingenious orange turd as Trump is loving idiotic and he's going to be talking to a lawyer about approaching the House investigators with "Give me immunity and boy oh boy do I have some juicy information you'll want to hear! ?

i mean resigning gives him even less options. he can't fight a subpoena

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

CHEF!!! posted:

He's still going to be deposed, right? This resignation isn't a valid "ONE WEIRD TRICK" to get out of testifying and he will be subpoenaed or otherwise hauled before the House, if my understanding is correct .

...And am I crazy for just thinking that he realized being a fall guy for such a disingenious orange turd as Trump is loving idiotic and he's going to be talking to a lawyer about approaching the House investigators with "Give me immunity and boy oh boy do I have some juicy information you'll want to hear! ?

i mean, there's talk that the guy's genuinely got brain damage from a fall he didn't get better from around ten years ago, and by all accounts Trump is genuinely one of the last people he knows who he can talk to.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

i mean, there's talk that the guy's genuinely got brain damage from a fall he didn't get better from around ten years ago, and by all accounts Trump is genuinely one of the last people he knows who he can talk to.

if he wernt such a rotten fucker. id feel bad for him sorta. part of me thinks he knows he is hosed and he is gonna try to bring others down with him. he also probably think he did nothing wrong.

CHEF!!!
Feb 22, 2001

My apologies; I realized "he" was rather vague, so I updated it accordingly pretty quickly. Not "Mr. Sat Down on a Railroad Spike on live TV", the former special envoy to Ukraine.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

crimedog posted:

We're at the event horizon of a crimehole, where spacecrime is so strong that nothing can escape

Spacecrime 1 has gone plaid!

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
I wonder if Volkner is the whistleblower.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

GreyjoyBastard posted:

So let’s delete the transcript.

And the log saying that we deleted the transcript.

And that.

And that.

And that.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

Rabble posted:

I wonder if Volkner is the whistleblower.

The whistleblower is CIA, so nope

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Space crime n continue em

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

twice burned ice posted:

The whistleblower is CIA, so nope

This.
Last minute resignation like this right after Giuliani starts naming him means he either got pressured or he is loving terrified

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

The degree to which they hosed up by putting those transcripts on that server and releasing one is unbelievable