Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Was this ultra secure Area 51 security filing system even known to the public before this whole thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Was this ultra secure Area 51 security filing system even known to the public before this whole thing?

Classified networks are nothing new in the fed, it's just the abuse of it that's really impressive and novel

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Charliegrs posted:

So if she gets away with it there's going to be a riot in Dallas right?

Yes.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

FizFashizzle posted:

he's currently in italy on an unannounced trip for some reason and just can't be reached darndest thing

This is almost certainly Bolton, right?

Bolton wasn't in the WH back then.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

it was probably assumed and its nothing new for national governments.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

:ocelot: . That is all

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Can't wait for Trump to suggest that instead of looking for his call transcripts, which were all perfect and the best calls ever, actually, we should see if hillary clinton's 30,000 deleted emails are on that server. There is a nonzero chance of this happening, tbh

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Well, this whole thing exploded soon after the Area 51 “raid”, so...

:tinfoil:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Google Butt posted:

The degree to which they hosed up by putting those transcripts on that server and releasing one is unbelievable

The Trump administration is full of morons who don't understand the implications of their actions and just try to do the easiest thing possible to make DT less angry that day? Those people, who have been completed picked for meekness and loyalty, aren't good at running a country?

Nah, must be 11th dimensional chess

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/stark_talk/status/1177721196416253953?s=19

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B0CyOAO8y0

here comes the shitshow.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
What's a good link about the Senate and NRA/Russia stuff?

I know it ain't the NYT

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
would the president be breaking a law if they asked a phone conversation with a foreign leader be off the record?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I'm imagining a White House where there's never been much loyalty or comradeship; similar to the Mirror Universe Enterprise in Star Trek. Now that this administration seems like it's in real danger, they're just letting it all rip. I can't say that I blame them, because I'd bet there's a lot of bad stuff we know little or nothing about, as yet.

This was the inevitable end result of the Trump admin. The only glue holding these ghouls together was wanting to do crimes and believing that using the other ghouls would help them do crimes better. Of course they all kept dirt on each other to ratfuck the others and the second something pushed just hard enough everything starts being released in the hopes their dirt will be big enough to make some other poor fucker be holding the bag when the dust clears.

The “what happens?” has always been when this happened does the GOP keep up their flimsy facade and pretend to care about law and order in regards to impeachment or do they drop it finally and just embrace not following any sort of laws or checks at which point our government just breaks completely down.

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 28, 2019

CHEF!!!
Feb 22, 2001

I just watched The Abyss again recently and it occurred to me that Lt. Coffey's death scene strikes me as a metaphor for what's happening to Trump right now. Trump goes off the deep end mentally, does something so bad that it's reported, and then the cracks start spreading outwards, more leaks... then implosion / removal from office.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JordanUhl/status/1177748102155030528

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Jesus Christ the dam won't hold together.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

who is skullface?

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
The fight to end Roe v. Wade enters its endgame next week
Updated Sep 27, 2019
"The Supreme Court could dismantle the constitutional right to an abortion, and all it has to do is sit on its hands.

The constitutional right to an abortion is almost certainly coming to an end — the only question is how long the Supreme Court’s new majority will take to kill it off. It’s not likely to be very long. On October 1, the Supreme Court will meet to decide whether to hear a case that could leave little, if any, of this right standing."

One of the Most Powerful Anti-Abortion Groups Is Convinced the End of Roe v. Wade Is Coming
Sep 26 2019
'“It’s more of a when than an if."

In its 2019 legislative report, released Thursday, Americans United for Life found that so far this year, 58 “life-affirming laws” have been passed in 22 states. That’s more than a 25% spike over 2018.

Around 40 abortion restriction-related cases are also currently making their way through the lower courts, and the majority-conservative Supreme Court will soon be forced to take one on, according to Glenn.

“Within the next three to five years, we see that as something that’s getting closer and closer to an inevitability. And state legislators see that too, and so they are sort of acting in accordance with that,” Glenn said.'

White evangelicals love Trump and aren't confused about why. No one should be.
Sept. 27, 2019
"Liberals have a tendency to wring their hands at the strong support President Donald Trump — he of the three wives and multiple affairs, and a tendency to engage in exceedingly un-Christian-like behavior at the slightest provocation — continues to receive from the white evangelical community. White evangelical support for Donald Trump is still at 73 percent, and more than 80 percent of white evangelicals voted for him in 2016.

But focusing on the disconnect between Trump's personal actions and the moral aspects of their faith misses the issue that keeps their support firm: racism. Modern evangelicals' support for this president cannot be separated from the history of evangelicals' participation in and support for racist structures in America."

Think impeachment will help Trump? He's sure not acting like it
September 27, 2019

Self-Impeaching: On the Trump-Zelensky Conversation
September 25, 2019
An extremely detailed discussion about what got the orange poo poo smear into this kerfuffle. Useful maybe if your "friends" elsewhere worry about the "legality" of it all. (And because "elsewhere" seems to be producing arguments from 2 weeks ago.)

A Phone Conversation Between Dread Lord Nyarlathotep and a Minor Shoggoth Regarding Investigating Rival Great Old One, Hastur
September 25, 2019
Nerds! :)

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

who is skullface?

delaney

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

pahuyuth posted:

I know it ain't the NYT

https://twitter.com/RonWyden/status/1177586522880643072

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

Holy gently caress that chyron.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I'm not really getting excited about the other conversations being stored on the super secret server bit, because I'm pretty sure congress can't grab them, even behind closed doors, just for the hell of it. At least with Ukraine the intelligence committees had a reason through the whistleblower to believe he broke the law and their demands would have eventually been allowed by a court. "We're curious, and think they might be politically embarrassing" isn't enough, I don't think.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

sean10mm posted:

Now do it for all the redundant rolling backups in the SCIF.

And the automatic audit trails for all the backups.

For all the substance to the quasi myth of us govt incompetence and inefficiency, there are a handful of things that they're staggeringly competent at and Trump and co definitely stumbled into one of them.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Rigel posted:

I'm not really getting excited about the other conversations being stored on the super secret server bit, because I'm pretty sure congress can't grab them, even behind closed doors, just for the hell of it. At least with Ukraine the intelligence committees had a reason through the whistleblower to believe he broke the law and their demands would have eventually been allowed by a court. "We're curious, and think they might be politically embarrassing" isn't enough, I don't think.

They were, to my understanding, improperly and illegally classified. edit: Or at least it's extremely obviously not what this classification is supposed to be used for, and boy there are at least six-ish officials ready to knife Trump to save themselves.

The president has ultimate classification authority and it’s an open legal question whether he’s bound by executive orders, including one signed by Obama in 2009 that says information can’t be classified in order to “conceal violations of law, inefficiency, or administrative error” or “prevent embarrassment to a person, organization, or agency.”

So shrug city on legality, but there's people ready to spill the beans and the only way to dispute that narrative is to release those transcripts. And if they don't it's safe to say people will assume the allegations are true.

TGLT fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 28, 2019

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Rigel posted:

What makes you think that? And who defines "politically embarrassing"?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

snorch posted:

Holy gently caress that chyron.

Hell yeah.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

CHEF!!! posted:

From what I've gathered, if someone were stupid enough to go in and delete these transcripts:

1. Multiple off-site backups, almost assuredly compartmentalized and access granted to even fewer people than whomever has access to this secure system.

Where are people getting information about this from?

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to go "this information is highly sensitive and it being released could cause grave damage to our nation, so let's make sure we make 50 copies of it and store them all over the place."

I'm sure there's cold storage backups that exist, but with cold storage you don't normally make a copy immediately and you also don't make a lot of copies of it, as one copy of a file on a tape is typically adequate.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Otteration posted:

From WAY earlier, but yep:

"Your failure or refusal to comply with the subpoena shall constitute evidence of obstruction of the House’s impeachment inquiry."

"...shall constitute evidence of obstruction...."

Bonfire.

Someone is going to be the first chucklefuck who has been Fox News poisoned enough to try and play chicken with this steamroller. I wonder who it will be.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Strange Poon posted:

they really are two peas in a pod huh?

It literally seems too stupid to be true, but Trump has never really disputed what Rudy says and for all the people telling rudy to stfu, someone is definitely telling him to keep going. Plus there have been reports going back a long time now about Trump watching Giuliani's appearances on tv and loving them so yeah it looks that way.

CHEF!!! posted:

From what I've gathered, if someone were stupid enough to go in and delete these transcripts:

1. Multiple off-site backups, almost assuredly compartmentalized and access granted to even fewer people than whomever has access to this secure system.
2. Meticulously scrutinized logs of all file system level actions performed.
3. Change log, so someone could basically undo the deletion, restoring it
4. #2 of course is tied to whomever did it, who just committed career suicide.

Basically a top-secret federal Git repo, for fellow IT goons. "Uh huh, some Trump toadie deleted everything. Revert to previous revision and have security detain the fuckwit who issued the delete command."

Sorry if I missed this, but who exactly has jurisdiction over the system these braintrusts decided to hide their crimes on? If the House demands full unredacted copies, if Trump tells them to not hand them over, will they be be able to say "lol gently caress off" and hand over the transcripts to the House Intelligence Committee?

for all our sakes I hope someone bites the bullet and burns down the entire system and all the backups because I'm not prepared for the wave of unbelievable smugness if, god forbid, tech saves us

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Zophar posted:

Jesus Christ the dam won't hold together.

This is my favorite poem, but here's a relevant enough recitation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWRVyaKnGcA&t=558s

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

TGLT posted:

They were, to my understanding, improperly and illegally classified.

ok, and the answer to that is "woops sorry. OK, we will move them to our regular server, which you also cant have access to".

We need to have reason to believe that the conversation itself contained discussions about crimes to have the intelligence committees get at them.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Herstory Begins Now posted:

for all our sakes I hope someone bites the bullet and burns down the entire system and all the backups because I'm not prepared for the wave of unbelievable smugness if, god forbid, tech saves us

Ridiculous government bueracracy exists for a reason and this kind of poo poo is it.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Rigel posted:

ok, and the answer to that is "woops sorry. OK, we will move them to our regular server, which you also cant have access to".

We need to have reason to believe that the conversation itself contained discussions about crimes to have the intelligence committees get at them.

Except I'm pretty sure that's not how it works. This level of classification and this server were chosen specifically to prevent congressional access. I'm fairly certain any other level of classification is perfectly accessible by congress.

Plus I think "he is on record doing big crimes" is a fairly compelling reason. This isn't just Trump said an embarrassing thing, this is Trump extorting countries or acknowledging and okaying election interference.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

TGLT posted:

Except I'm pretty sure that's not how it works. This level of classification and this server were chosen specifically to prevent congressional access. I'm fairly certain any other level of classification is perfectly accessible by congress.

Plus I think "he is on record doing big crimes" is a fairly compelling reason. This isn't just Trump said an embarrassing thing, this is Trump extorting countries or acknowledging and okaying election interference.

yeah but can't IC reclasiffy or some poo poo. like if its clear these assholes are hiding their crimes on IC servers under false security coding.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

pahuyuth posted:

I know it ain't the NYT

https://www.google.com/search?q=NRA/Russia&source=lnms&tbm=nws&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjTp_rUq_LkAhUVGTQIHYLrCDAQ_AUIESgB&biw=1414&bih=1094

Take your pick.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1177749332738629632
https://twitter.com/NickNehamas/status/1177746479890534400

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

FuturePastNow posted:

If he'd shot her instead he'd already be on death row

It's amazing how in her world somebody had to die in that encounter.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah but can't IC reclasiffy or some poo poo. like if its clear these assholes are hiding their crimes on IC servers under false security coding.

As far as I can tell, congress has access to documents that are classified as Top Secret, and these transcripts are Code Word classified which is sort of a compartmentalized subset of Top Secret. There isn't anywhere higher to go, at most they could try to shuffle them around which would probably make it clear to any judge that this poo poo isn't legit.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

jesus, what a loving poo poo show. hopefully the WP story will take off MSN and House too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

TGLT posted:

As far as I can tell, congress has access to documents that are classified as Top Secret, and these transcripts are Code Word classified which is sort of a compartmentalized subset of Top Secret. There isn't anywhere higher to go, at most they could try to shuffle them around which would probably make it clear to any judge that this poo poo isn't legit.

i mean can't IC just reclasify them as lower classification if it turns out a bunch of them are hidden because of crimes.