Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Guze posted:

if only there was a way to know Donald Trump was bad before he was President....

other than looking at his entire life, who could have know

Not the voters. Donald Trump himself.

The majority of people believe they're the protagonist of their own story. Trump most of all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Majorian posted:

I know, I just wouldn't have expected him to basically outright say, "Holy cow, I'm gonna step down because I've got a WHOLE lot of poo poo to dish!"

if you look at his twitter

https://twitter.com/kvolker/status/697955524352970752
https://twitter.com/kvolker/status/697954408164933632
https://twitter.com/kvolker/status/571447377502068738

he may have not been the most ideal candidate to involve in your plots to extort ukraine by withholding funds earmarked for their war with putin. he seems pretty freakin down with said war with putin

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Well, in theory, he'd have embraced the other steps in the middle - coming to believe in a higher power that could restore him to sanity, and turning his will over to the care of said higher power - so that bit of introspection would theoretically already happen.

A Donald Trump that actually realized not even that he was hated in the world, but to actually empathize with the pain and suffering he's caused, would be what I'd probably blow my one wish on. I wonder what kind of world would come from that.

agreed. but i feel like realize that he hosed himself wouldnt give him the ability empathy. at best, he would crash into depression or double down because "gently caress it".

Guze posted:

if only there was a way to know Donald Trump was bad before he was President....

other than looking at his entire life, who could have know

true. but alot of people stupidly thought he was Smart at least or that him being a stupid rear end in a top hat was an act or a tactic.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

USPOL Fall of the Orange Sky

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

:yeshaha:

No seriously, this is what everyone left loving deserves. You stick around this corrupt, incomptetent, fascist all of this time because graft and personal agenda. The establishment republicans are long loving gone, and then the next Era of "respectable" people serving out of a "sense of duty" or whatever poo poo they would say on CNN have also bailed. We're down to the grifters, the idealogues, and the power hungry. You fucks have sat around and this racist, petty, and corrupt motherfucker has lined his own pockets in the dumbest of ways, set up loving concentration camps on the border, and taken a giant poo poo on whatever was left of America's international prestige. So this is your loving bed, you get to deal with this senile gently caress self-destruct through a loving impeachment inquiry.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/politicussarah/status/1177750791328800769?s=21

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Jesus, this is unraveling fast.

We don't know what sort of protections the server has, but I can hazard the following:

1) Heavy logging --> anyone does anything, who/what/when is recorded.
2) Airgap means it's not connected to the building network. May mean it's completely standalone or on its own network.
3) Likely some sort of backups being done, but the retention period of old backups is unknown. Likely at least one set kept offsite.
4) Integrity of the data and its backups is unknown. If the WH IT people are ordered to wipe it, will they comply?
5) While budget is probably not an issue, Government IT inertia is a fearsome thing to behold. It's quite likely a legacy system, several years old.

Who maintains the White House IT? Military?

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004

Herstory Begins Now posted:

buried near the end 'we don't actually know which version of the form the whistle blower filled out, nor do we know when in august the form was revised'

Doesn't change a drat thing. Just another wet fart of damage control. Especially when on it's face it's a 'intelligence community makes a move allowing substantially greater potential oversight' and I'm meant to be upset about that?

They literally changed the form after the whistle blower complaint was received lmao. Just lmao.

Edit: Rereading this I realize I mixed up, they changed the form to allow for hearsay, not the other way around. Whoops!

Doloen fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 28, 2019

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Your Boy Fancy posted:

A Donald Trump that actually realized not even that he was hated in the world, but to actually empathize with the pain and suffering he's caused, would be what I'd probably blow my one wish on. I wonder what kind of world would come from that.

my one wish is for the noble pretzel to get another crack at the brass ring

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The GOP are white Supremecist foreign assets. So yeah

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

OAquinas posted:

Jesus, this is unraveling fast.

same. though i sorta am not surprised. its kinda of thing throughout history. stupid assholes and monsters just collapse over night alot of times because of "little" stuff mostly because its a culmination of issues and it breaks the camels back.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

would the president be breaking a law if they asked a phone conversation with a foreign leader be off the record?

With "normal" Presidents it probably happened all the time, at least before Nixon (Eisenhower, JFK, cough).

Usually doesn't matter much unless a President is offering crimes via .aux, and said President gets overheard by an interested party. And "breaking a law" for a President has now completely turned into a political thing, and not a legal thing, so have some fun there too.

Anyone have some transcripts of Lincoln's many telegraph taps? Would trade!

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Not the voters. Donald Trump himself.

The majority of people believe they're the protagonist of their own story. Trump most of all.

Past interviews with Trump have him acutely aware of his own mortality, and dismissive of any consideration for the world and its inhabitants after he's gone. Not that he really has any use for other people now other than lavishing him with praise and validation.

That was when he was able to give full sentences in response to questions. Who knows what serves him for a moral compass this far into dementia.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Quorum posted:

My understanding is that any Congressional committee with oversight authority over a given field can subpoena, and read, classified information relating to that field, because classification is an executive branch thing that applies to the executive branch, and separation of powers prevents it from applying to members of Congress or federal judges, but practically speaking classified stuff (being mostly stuff relating to the IC) gets handled by the intelligence committees.

It's very easy to forget in this era of the Imperial Presidency that we've had for the past 40 years or more, but as designed, Congress is supposed to more or less be the highest authority in the land. It is Congress that the national intelligence mechanisms, like any other federal institution, ultimately answer to, not the President. So far as I know, even an individual Congressperson can ask for classified information they know exists, at any classification level, and their justification can be "I am the representative of the least populated state in the Union, and I was elected by the people of that state to represent them, so show me the information"* and that's sufficient - if a Congressperson feels they need information to do their job, they get that information. It may be told behind closed doors and they may be bound to adhere to that security level, but as part of the overall strongest body in the federal system, a Congressperson has an absolute right to any information known by other components of the government.

* Okay yes, there's no chance in hell Liz Cheney would do this against Trump, but it's a hypothetical :v:

We are seriously entering the governmental hypercube

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

SpaceDrake posted:

It's very easy to forget in this era of the Imperial Presidency that we've had for the past 40 years or more, but as designed, Congress is supposed to more or less be the highest authority in the land. It is Congress that the national intelligence mechanisms, like any other federal institution, ultimately answer to, not the President. So far as I know, even an individual Congressperson can ask for classified information they know exists, at any classification level, and their justification can be "I am the representative of the least populated state in the Union, and I was elected by the people of that state to represent them, so show me the information"* and that's sufficient - if a Congressperson feels they need information to do their job, they get that information. It may be told behind closed doors and they may be bound to adhere to that security level, but as part of the overall strongest body in the federal system, a Congressperson has an absolute right to any information known by other components of the government.

yeah, congress does still have power to get most of this poo poo for the most part.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

OAquinas posted:

The computer systems involved in the whistleblower report are NSC not WH. Materials of secret and lower classification would be on SIPRNet, which is run by the DOD. TS/SCI materials would be on airgapped systems also maintained by the Pentagon.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

SubG posted:

The computer systems involved in the whistleblower report are NSC not WH. Materials of secret and lower classification would be on SIPRNet, which is run by the DOD. TS/SCI materials would be on airgapped systems also maintained by the Pentagon.

God drat, I never thought I'd be hearing acronyms like SIPRnet/NIPRnet again, and certainly not under these fuckin circumstances.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1177771940548874240?s=20

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

SpaceDrake posted:

It's very easy to forget in this era of the Imperial Presidency that we've had for the past 40 years or more, but as designed, Congress is supposed to more or less be the highest authority in the land. It is Congress that the national intelligence mechanisms, like any other federal institution, ultimately answer to, not the President.

As if to drive this point home, the Article of the Constitution defining the legislative authority is Article I. The president isn't until Article II.

Unfortunately, exercising real oversight is hard because when bad poo poo happens you have to take some blame for it, so over the decades Congress has passed an enormous amount of its power and authority to the president, and that bird has come home to roost.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Data Graham posted:

God drat, I never thought I'd be hearing acronyms like SIPRnet/NIPRnet again, and certainly not under these fuckin circumstances.

Welcome back. poo poo never truly ends.

volts5000
Apr 7, 2009

It's electric. Boogie woogie woogie.
https://twitter.com/gregolear/status/1177778546942599168?s=21

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Data Graham posted:

You and me both. I can't wait for the point where we're going to need an infodump on FISMA and FIPS 199 again.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

OK, so Pentagon peeps. Interesting.

Guess we'll find out if they'll refuse a direct order to purge backups.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer

OAquinas posted:

Maybe dudettes and dudes with shirttails coming out of their waistbands after the end of their 12 hour days, Like he rest of us.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Western Europe is really at fault for making it so hard to commit graft and corruption that fine upstanding honest businessmen like Giuliani have to go to Russia and Ukraine to do business!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Honestly I'd assumed by this point any and all IT in the actual White House had been turned over to Trump's various cronies' nephews who are Good With Computers.

If all the procedures that we've all been talking about are actually still in force three years after they gutted the EPA and State Dept and scrubbed all mention of climate change from government websites and replaced them with Under Construction gifs, I will be FAR more surprised than by any other revelation we've had today.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

OAquinas posted:

OK, so Pentagon peeps. Interesting.

Guess we'll find out if they'll refuse a direct order to purge backups.

I really doubt anyone from the IC is sticking their dick in a woodchipper for Trump.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Houston department's first Sikh deputy was fatally 'shot from behind,' sheriff says
September 27, 2019
'The first Sikh to become a deputy at a Houston-area sheriff's department was fatally shot in the head from behind Friday, authorities said.

Sandeep Dhaliwal, who was described as a trailblazer who paved the way for other Sikhs to join the department, was conducting a traffic stop when he was shot, Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez said at a press conference.

"He wore the turban, he represented his community with integrity, respect and pride and he was respected by all," Gonzalez said.'

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Somewhere in the whitehouse they're trying to strategize, but they can't find a clip board that isn't completely covered in 'crimes crimes crimes'

E:

Data Graham posted:

Honestly I'd assumed by this point any and all IT in the actual White House had been turned over to Trump's various cronies' nephews who are Good With Computers.

If all the procedures that we've all been talking about are actually still in force three years after they gutted the EPA and State Dept and scrubbed all mention of climate change from government websites and replaced them with Under Construction gifs, I will be FAR more surprised than by any other revelation we've had today.

Reading between the lines over the last 6 months, a lot of what was coming out of the intel community suggested that they thought that some high level systems were essentially compromised or could be at any time. Like if you're giving random fuckos in the trump admin routine access to the most sensitive systems to use for trivial bullshit (as far as classified info goes), do you really trust those systems to keep the names of your most sensitively placed informants/moles safe? The reason those systems are secure is because access to them is so limited, rather than them being impregnable or well defended or anything like that. The extraction of the mole who was working with Putin really said a lot about how much they expected secrets to stay kept.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 28, 2019

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

cr0y posted:

I really doubt anyone from the IC is sticking their dick in a woodchipper for Trump.

They kept notes on a criminal fuckin' conspiracy, then they stored them in probably the most secure place on the loving planet in a way that ensured they could never be destroyed.

I'm just thinking out loud here because I didn't think this could get significantly worse, and then suddenly loving The Friday From Hell

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

mdemone posted:

I'm just thinking out loud here because I didn't think this could get significantly worse, and then suddenly loving The Friday From Hell

I am absolutely certain that this weekend is going to be wild

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hey, it's just another day in Fucknutsville

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

eke out posted:

he may have not been the most ideal candidate to involve in your plots to extort ukraine by withholding funds earmarked for their war with putin. he seems pretty freakin down with said war with putin

I'll be very, very glad if he stays away from crafting U.S.-Ukrainian/Eastern European policy for the rest of his career. What a loon.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Data Graham posted:

Hey, it's just another day in Fucknutsville

give that editor a pulitzer prize for accidentally summing up everything so succintly

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
It's hilarious that he is the head of the loving McCain institute and Trump decided to bring him into this poo poo

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Not that we really need more excitement at this point, but......... Wasn't there supposed to be a tax return bombshell fairly soon?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Otteration posted:

Houston department's first Sikh deputy was fatally 'shot from behind,' sheriff says
September 27, 2019
'The first Sikh to become a deputy at a Houston-area sheriff's department was fatally shot in the head from behind Friday, authorities said.

Sandeep Dhaliwal, who was described as a trailblazer who paved the way for other Sikhs to join the department, was conducting a traffic stop when he was shot, Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez said at a press conference.

"He wore the turban, he represented his community with integrity, respect and pride and he was respected by all," Gonzalez said.'

Sikh's are some of the most badass motherfuckers in the world and it's sadly fitting that some chud piece of poo poo murked him from behind.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

Sikh's are some of the most badass motherfuckers in the world and it's sadly fitting that some chud piece of poo poo murked him from behind.

I hope they hang that gently caress.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
I feel like right now, if Trump ordered the calls wiped from that server, it would leak before they actually figure out HOW to wipe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Sleepy tax:

Sleep tight. Fucknutsville will still be there for you tomorrow.