Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Squalid posted:

now this has me wondering what is the BEST ape based literature? :thunk:

the liquor ape chapter from republic of wine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Squalid posted:

A Report To An Academy, by Kafka

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Squalid posted:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Agape Agape

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Michael Crichton's classic Congo.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Bandiet posted:

A Report To An Academy, by Kafka

its this one

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Heath posted:

Agape Agape

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Flink the chimpanzee in P.C. Jersild's En levande själ is cool

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Nobody knows any cool modern greek authors?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
The secret of this thread is that were not very well read.

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
:gb2gbs:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Squalid posted:

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

fridge corn posted:

Nobody knows any cool modern greek authors?

Havey ou considered Bophades

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Nikos Kazantzakis is the obvious one, but I haven't read him and figured that someone who had should bring him up instead. I also almost bought Panos Karnezis's The Maze a few months ago but didn't.

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...

haahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahaha

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Nikos Kazantzakis is the obvious one, but I haven't read him and figured that someone who had should bring him up instead. I also almost bought Panos Karnezis's The Maze a few months ago but didn't.

I figured when they said modern they meant earlier than half a century ago.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Mr. Squishy posted:

Imo they meant later

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The Maze is from 2004, so I think I have my bases covered.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Mr. Squishy posted:

By modern I just meant like not classical greek stuff but whatever I started reading the Pamuk I found in a charity shop the other day but thanks for the suggestions :mrgw:

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
it was a noble effort but sadly the greeks havent produced anything of cultural merit since 1453

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

chernobyl kinsman posted:

it was a noble effort but sadly the greeks havent produced anything of cultural merit since 1453

Big Fat Greek Wedding

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

fridge corn posted:

By modern I just meant like not classical greek stuff but whatever I started reading the Pamuk I found in a charity shop the other day but thanks for the suggestions :mrgw:

All Greeks are Turks anyway

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

chernobyl kinsman posted:

Erotokritos any good?

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Going to read The Iliad finally. My library's translations options are Richard Lattimore, E.V. Rieu and Stephen Mitchell. I've seen people rep Lattimore in the thread, but what about the other two?

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

looks like the rieu is prose so AVOID and the mitchell is basically fine? the lattimore is really good, but you get people thinking it's too clearly poetic and grandiose which i think is good but something the mitchell looks like it might avoid from this amazon preview

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

I'm going with the Mitchell to start, since I'm finding it easier to follow. I might revisit the Lattimore once I'm more familiar with the narrative and can give his verse more attention.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
Just picked up the latest (and last?) Krasznahorkai book, just out in English: Baron Wenckheim's Homecoming. Only had the energy to read about 20 pages last night but it is drat good.

The man himself had this to say about it:

Laszlo K posted:

I’ve said a thousand times that I always wanted to write just one book. Now, with Baron, I can close this story. With this novel I can prove that I really wrote just one book in my life. This is the book–Satantango, Melancholy, War and War, and Baron. This is my one book.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

one of these days im gonna read something that isn't by nabokov, i can feel it

that or i'll just run out i guess

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Fortunately there are plenty of books about Nabokov

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

you read his lectures yet? p sure they dont count as books

Karenina
Jul 10, 2013

Almost done with War and Peace. I should probably follow it up with Stendhal's Charterhouse of Parma for the other side. In French, because Jesus my French has gone to poo poo and having to glance more and more at the footnote translations of the French in War and Peace is just driving that home.

Tim Burns Effect posted:

one of these days im gonna read something that isn't by nabokov, i can feel it

that or i'll just run out i guess

You read Invitation to a Beheading yet?

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
if you did, and you liked invitation to a beheading, why not try satantango as a way to wean yourself off nabokov

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

war and peace is a real good book. it starts off very slowly, but it just keeps going up

i think my favourite bit is when the french occupy moscow and pierre saves some rando french officer and they get drunk and sentimental. it's really really funny

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

thehoodie posted:

Just picked up the latest (and last?) Krasznahorkai book, just out in English: Baron Wenckheim's Homecoming. Only had the energy to read about 20 pages last night but it is drat good.

The man himself had this to say about it:

Ohhhh I didn't know he had a new book coming out, thanks!

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

I was prepared to have cultural differences with all the Iliad characters who want to kill people in battle. I was not prepared for the way Agamemnon orders an offensive on Troy. This is the part where Zeus is tricking him into getting owned at Achilles' mom's behest, but the way Agamemnon goes about it is baffling. He only tells a few people his true intentions, and then orders the rest of his commanders to do the opposite of that, confident that enough of them will object so that they'll do what he really wants them to do anyway. This culminates in Odysseus convincing officers stay and fight to run, and soldiers who want to run to stay and fight, and I didn't know if I was supposed to laugh. Am I missing something?

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Just finished Malaparte’s Kaputt, it’s good. Plenty of bizarre moments, my fave probably being when an SS asks Malaparte whether he thinks Russians are homosexual, and he goes something like “IDK you’ll find out when the war ends for sure”. Anyone have access to an Italian copy of the book? I would like to know what word is used in the original that the translator chose to translate into “tommy gun”.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Karenina posted:

You read Invitation to a Beheading yet?

[eric andre voice] im on it right now

rest his guts
Mar 3, 2013

...pls father forgive me
for my terrible post history...
or just read the same Beckett book over and over again, as all Beckett is the same according to my friend of superior intellect, a true juggernaut and recipient of an MFA

actually read The Poor Mouth by Flann O’Brien

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
i was reading Frost but i stopped halfway thru because the painter is right, all art is garbage useless nonsense for idiots.

"I want to say: artists are the sons and daughters of loathsomeness, of paradisiac shamelessness, the original sons and daughters of lewdness; artists, painters, writers, and musicians are the compulsive masturbators on the planet, its disgusting camps, its peripheral puffings and swellings, its pustular secretions... I want to say: artists are the great emetic agents of the time, they were always the great, the very greatest emetics... Artists, are they not a devastating army of absurdity, of scum?"