Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I haven't gone there yet so will stay clear away. Shame it isn't set up like the Tower Of The Hand that you indicate which books you've read and it auto filters out relevant spoilers.

S02E01: Wow! Through all of season one I felt the Mumbari were passive, reserved, and mystical and couldn't understand how they were at war with humans so recently. Not now.

Nice to get some of the mysteries answered (seemingly) without dragging out for ages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

TraderStav posted:

S02E01: Wow! Through all of season one I felt the Mumbari were passive, reserved, and mystical and couldn't understand how they were at war with humans so recently. Not now.

Yeah, you've mostly been seeing members of the Religious Caste, people like Delenn and Lennier. They have other castes.

Not to say that Delenn is actually a peaceful person.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

CainFortea posted:

The openers and how they evolve over time makes b5 openers some of the best ones for television.

IT FAILED

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

sebmojo posted:

IT FAILED

ughhhh I'm extremely horny for how effective that is

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

sebmojo posted:

IT FAILED

That is my favorite opening.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Babylon 5 is portrayed as some kind of hub of commerce in addition to all the embassies and the space-UN, and places like that tend to grow out into big cities all on their own. Programs to let people return to wherever they came from after they've hit hard times might help, but if they don't pay attention to the specifics of each person's case, it may just be shifting the homeless around. That's why Hawaii's program to do something similar has to vet each candidate. Might be cool to see space-social workers on the show though.

I feel like there's been a huge surge against immigration in the real world over the last 30 years, and if Babylon 5 was made now, Garibaldi would be demanding to see everybody's visa all the time and threatening to deport repeat offenders, but back then they felt more comfortable being loose about things. There even seems to be a bit of like American colonial influence on how humans live off of Earth.

Vavrek posted:

Yeah, the Lurker's Guide isn't something I'd show to a newbie. It's a nice compilation of episode-per-episode JMS usenet posts to read along with a rewatch.

Ah, the internet kind of lurker. This thread is drawing me into doing a rewatch, I might try checking that out.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SlothfulCobra posted:

Babylon 5 is portrayed as some kind of hub of commerce in addition to all the embassies and the space-UN, and places like that tend to grow out into big cities all on their own. Programs to let people return to wherever they came from after they've hit hard times might help, but if they don't pay attention to the specifics of each person's case, it may just be shifting the homeless around. That's why Hawaii's program to do something similar has to vet each candidate. Might be cool to see space-social workers on the show though.

I feel like there's been a huge surge against immigration in the real world over the last 30 years, and if Babylon 5 was made now, Garibaldi would be demanding to see everybody's visa all the time and threatening to deport repeat offenders, but back then they felt more comfortable being loose about things. There even seems to be a bit of like American colonial influence on how humans live off of Earth.

Ah, the internet kind of lurker. This thread is drawing me into doing a rewatch, I might try checking that out.

lurkers guide is also a plot summary, things you may have missed, unanswered questions and show trivia, it's a fantastic resource to look at after each episode.

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

CainFortea posted:

The openers and how they evolve over time makes b5 openers some of the best ones for television.

lol but posted:

DAWN OF THE THIRD AGE DREAM GIVEN FORM WE ARE IN SPAAAAAAACE

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

sebmojo posted:

IT FAILED

Bump-bump-BAH, bump-bump-BAH!

Ahh, good times.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Vavrek posted:

Yeah, the Lurker's Guide isn't something I'd show to a newbie. It's a nice compilation of episode-per-episode JMS usenet posts to read along with a rewatch.

Yep. Save it to read when you eventually rewatch.

E: S3 is best intro. Though now I watch it and am mentally saying "dead, dead, dead..." in G'Kar voice as actors pop up. :smith:

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 24, 2019

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Halfway through Legacies right now and wow this works really well with having had TKO immediately before. You get to have Ivanova grieve and deal with her emotions, and grow closer with Sinclair and let him have an appreciation for what she's gone through. Then, next episode, she goes to him for help/approval in dealing with the young telepath, and it's clear they're at that same interpersonal level they were last episode. Having Grail and Eyes sandwiched between those moments would just be weird, and having Legacies not be near the end of the season feels similarly odd. I'm liking this variant order a lot, now that I'm actually following it.

edit:
Talia: "Just because your mother didn't cooperate—"
Ivanova: "Like your friend Ironheart?
Talia: "You leave him out of this."
Young telepath girl: "JUST gently caress ALREADY."

edit2: Theodore Bikel, who played Rabbi Koslov in TKO, died in 2015. I am declaring this to not be an instance of the Babylon curse, because he was 91 years old.

Vavrek fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Sep 24, 2019

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Y'all forgot the intro Giants in the playground NOW GET THE HELL OUT OF OUR GALAXY

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Iymarra posted:

Y'all forgot the intro Giants in the playground NOW GET THE HELL OUT OF OUR GALAXY

The actual best intro.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

sebmojo posted:

lurkers guide is also a plot summary, things you may have missed, unanswered questions and show trivia, it's a fantastic resource to look at after each episode.

Not only is it possibly the greatest of that sort of companion, but the show itself has a wealth of trivia and allusions and behind-the-scenes stuff going on that makes everything fantastic to learn. The only other shows I've seen that've had anything remotely similar were: Rome, going through it Wikipedia's entries from actual history buffs that tell you how and why various things worked the way they did, and then Buffy+Angel with their intricacies laid out some.

I think JMS gets into it only a little bit on Usenet when the show was ongoing, the key period most of the Lurker's Guide material was compiled from, but I would be so loving goddamned interested for JMS to eventually make a screenwriter's guide for TV where he uses his Babylon 5 outline/bible and explains each of the potential backdoors for characters due to actor leaving/dying/etc., and alternate plotline paths.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Oh, I like the technomages. Love some cyberpunk! Plus an extremely ominous message for Londo at the end.

Season 2 is kicking rear end so far.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

My favorite thing about that might be Michael Ansara's voice. It's not that there's nothing else to recommend the episode, but that he just had such a great voice.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

CainFortea posted:

I'm two episodes into S04 this week, and wow do I miss the grandeur that was the S03 opening music.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vavrek posted:

My favorite thing about that might be Michael Ansara's voice. It's not that there's nothing else to recommend the episode, but that he just had such a great voice.

I love his speech with Sheridan at the end about the nature of magic.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

TraderStav posted:

Oh, I like the technomages.

most hardcore roleplayers the galaxy's got

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Vavrek posted:

Other great guest voices: Robin Sachs, John Vickery

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Other great guest voices: Robin Sachs, John Vickery

And the second Draal.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Jedit posted:

And the second Draal.

aw man i love that guy. also draal 1 did a funny dick joke one time so he is cool too

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

oh but seriously I posted:

aw man i love that guy. also draal 1 did a funny dick joke one time so he is cool too

I actually prefer Draal 1 because he seemed more of a tired old minbari and Draal 2 is a huge difference.

I know he’s supposed to be younger, but that’s like Brian Blessed turning into Ian McKellen in his old age.

I still like Draal 2 don’t get me wrong. It’s just kind of jarring.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

Draal 1's actor also played Brother Theo.

Unrelated: I clipped a bit of a CGI composite shot from Legacies, that shows a view out some windows. The set the camera's panning down into is the same used for the commander's office, the council chambers, and the mess hall.

Just imagine it! Windows, in all those rooms! The show normally has such an indoor look that I never even expect windows. Except that one time a lurker looks out a porthole in the floor.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
Thanks to this thread I am on a rewatch right now and I got a question: Do they ever explain why Station security is not run by Earth Force? At least to me, it always came across like Garibaldi being fundamentally a civilian, with his "rank" being Chief and him not being part of the usual chain of command. He mentioned being a former ground pounder, but it doesn't seem like he is part of the military as the show is taking place, asides from being a commanding officer of Babylon 5. Like Ivanova seem to be responsible for the entire shipping and commerce on the station, which seem to me like much more of an area they might hand to a civilian third party , but something as security sensitive as the internal defense of the station, they handed to some shady guy Sinclair knew

e X fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 27, 2019

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I always took "Chief" to mean something like "Chief Warrant Officer," and ascribed the rest to the fact that JMS never really got the military right.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Wikipedia has him as "Chief Warrant Officer"

And his uniform has the earth force pin on the collar, and the uniform is the same just a different color.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

e X posted:

Thanks to this thread I am on a rewatch right now and I got a question: Do they ever explain why Station security is not run by Earth Force? At least to me, it always came across like Garibaldi being fundamentally a civilian, with his "rank" being Chief and him not being part of the usual chain of command. He mentioned being a former ground pounder, but it doesn't seem like he is part of the military as the show is taking place, asides from being a commanding officer of Babylon 5. Like Ivanova seem to be responsible for the entire shipping and commerce on the station, which seem to me like much more of an area they might hand to a civilian third party , but something as security sensitive as the internal defense of the station, they handed to some shady guy Sinclair knew

You got the wrong impression because station security is EarthForce and so is Garibaldi.

My guess is that Garibaldi is on the "command staff" by dint of being the most senior enlisted person on the station (and of course, he's in that position because of Sinclair).

Don't get too hung up on different rank structures, insignia, and uniform colors though, because the show's kind of goofy about mixing them up. We meet a handful of majors and generals in both blue and brown (gold?), and there's a couple of verbal references to the existence of admirals in the early seasons but then never again. I think someone (whether JMS or someone else) was trying to imply that EarthForce is a "combined service" but either nobody sat down and wrote it all out or otherwise some people just didn't get the memo.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

You got the wrong impression because station security is EarthForce and so is Garibaldi.

My guess is that Garibaldi is on the "command staff" by dint of being the most senior enlisted person on the station (and of course, he's in that position because of Sinclair).

Don't get too hung up on different rank structures, insignia, and uniform colors though, because the show's kind of goofy about mixing them up. We meet a handful of majors and generals in both blue and brown (gold?), and there's a couple of verbal references to the existence of admirals in the early seasons but then never again. I think someone (whether JMS or someone else) was trying to imply that EarthForce is a "combined service" but either nobody sat down and wrote it all out or otherwise some people just didn't get the memo.

S4/5: Ivanova is promoted to Admiral by the time of Sleeping in Light.

The official line from JMS is that the Navy and Air Force merged and the Army atrophied into the Marines.

Also you're only half right about Station Security: Garibaldi is a serving Earthforce NCO with the rank of Warrant Officer W-4, but most of the rest of security are civilian staff. This is why Garibaldi is the only member of security to wear an Earthforce uniform, badge and rank bar, while everyone else wears the grey uniform with the B5 badge and a security logo.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Jedit posted:

S4/5: Are you sure? I thought she was referred to as a general.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

S4/5: Are you sure? I thought she was referred to as a general.

Correct

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I'm 100% sure otherwise, but it's been a long time so I'll accept the correction.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Jedit posted:

The official line from JMS is that the Navy and Air Force merged and the Army atrophied into the Marines.

Also you're only half right about Station Security: Garibaldi is a serving Earthforce NCO with the rank of Warrant Officer W-4, but most of the rest of security are civilian staff. This is why Garibaldi is the only member of security to wear an Earthforce uniform, badge and rank bar, while everyone else wears the grey uniform with the B5 badge and a security logo.

Okay, thanks, that makes sense. I mean, besides that I'd still think it is weird that security isn't handled by EarthForce personal directly when everything else is, but I guess you could come up with a reasonable explanation for that (in universe). And I know that most creators tend to play it fast an loose with ranks when it comes to their fictional military, it just always bugged me because Garibaldi is so un-Officer like, but him being an NCO makes sense.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

e X posted:

Okay, thanks, that makes sense. I mean, besides that I'd still think it is weird that security isn't handled by EarthForce personal directly when everything else is, but I guess you could come up with a reasonable explanation for that (in universe). And I know that most creators tend to play it fast an loose with ranks when it comes to their fictional military, it just always bugged me because Garibaldi is so un-Officer like, but him being an NCO makes sense.

Well, Warrant Officers aren't NCOs. But they're promoted out of the NCO cadre.

As far as why the other security forces aren't military I just figured it's a diplomatic station, having the every day cops be military kind of goes against having B5 be the last best hope for peace.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Jedit posted:

I'm 100% sure otherwise, but it's been a long time so I'll accept the correction.

Script-book says "Admiral”.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I just pulled up the episode: "But General, you're an important person."

Edit: Oh hey, also this: spoilers! don't look!

Farmer Crack-Ass fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Sep 28, 2019

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Maybe they didn’t want her to be too specific. :downsrim:

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
Seems consistent with other flag officers like Generals Franklin and Hague.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

It vaguely makes sense if you assume space forces grew out of the (US) air force structure which uses generals instead of the navy structure which uses admirals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Soylent Pudding posted:

It vaguely makes sense if you assume space forces grew out of the (US) air force structure which uses generals instead of the navy structure which uses admirals.

I mean then you're also kind of assuming America conquers all of Earth in the back story (which granted does explain why 99% of people Earth in a position of authority seem to be American)...