Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Rhyno posted:

I'd previously read that they wanted him in Captain Marvel 2.
I saw that, and I thought it was odd since I was not aware they really interacted much in the comics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The next Spider-Man film will have Aunt May getting shot. The only solution? Peter must sell his closest relationship to Mephisto.

He wakes up the next day. A faint memory stirs in his mind. Who was Mr. Stark? It probably wasn't important.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

I saw that, and I thought it was odd since I was not aware they really interacted much in the comics

Those were from chuds who said they wanted that because nobody likes Carol or Brie Larson

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They went on an awesome date once.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
cant believe pete got his powers from a spider struck by cosmic rays when it stowed away on reed richards spaceship

no wait i got it, peter's mom was bitten by the cosmic ray spider and became spider-woman, so peter is a mutant

site fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 27, 2019

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

that GIF takes me back to 2003 or so

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://twitter.com/MKupperman/status/1177490792346112000

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Rhyno posted:

I'd previously read that they wanted him in Captain Marvel 2.

I doubt that's accurate with Kamala Khan being introduced, but you never know

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The whole alt right Joker thing doesn't really make sense. Batman is a billionaire who spends his money on working with the police to beat up poor and mentally ill people to maintain the status quo. The Dark Knight trilogy is inherently right wing, with the villains being a right wingers nightmare about a made up eco terrorist, an anarchist who's entire goal is to show the public face of their Golden boy is actually a lie, which ends with a big sloppy BJ to the bush administration and the Patriot act, and a poorly thought out version of the occupy movement led by literal terrorists.

What I'm saying is, the Joker is actually antifa.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Codependent Poster posted:

Glad to hear the Spidey news. There was way too much money at stake for them to not make a deal.
It's like whenever you hear Dish Network dropping from Fox, it's all posturing

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Barry Convex posted:

I think the rumor probably came from the Sam Jackson after credits scene in 2

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

Vince MechMahon posted:

The whole alt right Joker thing doesn't really make sense. Batman is a billionaire who spends his money on working with the police to beat up poor and mentally ill people to maintain the status quo. The Dark Knight trilogy is inherently right wing, with the villains being a right wingers nightmare about a made up eco terrorist, an anarchist who's entire goal is to show the public face of their Golden boy is actually a lie, which ends with a big sloppy BJ to the bush administration and the Patriot act, and a poorly thought out version of the occupy movement led by literal terrorists.

It would be quite funny if antifa trapped a city's entire police force underground for a few months

fake edit: I know Bane did it not Joker

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Shocker? SHOCKER!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWRjsqoSWTI

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Barry Convex posted:

Since he's currently the only active member of the second generation of younger heroes, it would make a little sense for him to start showing up as the Sam Jackson of a phase. Rounding up the Kamalas and Kates and Ruris or whatever is coming up.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Vince MechMahon posted:

Way to summarise Batman: White Knight.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

X-O posted:

If they're smart it'll be Spider-Man 3 and Fantastic Four.

Spider-Man: Future Foundation would be dope (and a pretty good way to follow up on the idea of Peter being Tony Stark's protege).

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

This is the only Spider-Man/FF crossover I'll accept :colbert:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Madkal posted:

White Knight fuckin rules cause it gets it.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1177664090782629888

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Only good news about this

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

David D. Davidson posted:

I think the problem with the Joker movie is just timing. It's coming out at a time when mass shootings have become an almost daily event, three quarters of the American government are controlled by a political party with deep ties to the gun lobby and so refuse to do anything about it. Considering that Joker looks to be a film about the kind of people who would actually commit such an act, as well as the character's having a very strong appeal with those kinds of people. I think I can understand how people would be nervous about the whole movie.

Remember every dumbfuck you met in 1999 and 2000 who really took the wrong things home from Fight Club? Now imagine them in a time where they're also echo-chambering on 4chan/8chan.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

Madkal posted:

I read this as Batman: Wayne Knight and now that’s the only Batman I accept

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Remember every dumbfuck you met in 1999 and 2000 who really took the wrong things home from Fight Club? Now imagine them in a time where they're also echo-chambering on 4chan/8chan.

You mean literally every white guy in college at the time?

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

do boondock saints fanboys count too?

please say yes

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

Vince MechMahon posted:

ive always wondered how Vigilante-style Comics characters like bruce and frank castle can be totally revamped so theyre not white male incel power fantasies (i know thats a bit of a given but still)

how could a left-wing batman be written that doesnt just make him Green Arrow?

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
^^^^^I think just more stories about the Wayne foundation's outreach programs and maybe show more of his nonviolent intervention on common criminals. Honestly I think the bad rap Batman has gotten recently is overblown, his stories barely show him pursuing nonsuper villain level threats I just wish they'd drive home that his charity's are for street crime and his gadgets are for the rogues gallery.

Race Realists posted:

please say yes

Of course. But I'm not sure there's another deeper way to interpret Boondock Saints.

Either way, both Fight Club and BS(ooooh I like that) fall under the John Wick umbrella of Bad Guy vs Bad Guy and not Underdog vs "Society"(random innocent people)

I also think the John Wick comparison is bogus on the grounds that Wick exists in a ridiculous world of assassins that is so much more removed from reality(and ironically 10X more comic book) than the gritty realism they appear to be pulling off in Joker.

It's like the difference between Grand Theft Auto and like a date rape simulator game where you go through the subterfuge necessary to roofie women.

Now if John Wick was a white supremacist, the hotel for assassins was a chat room, and his victims were all Walmart shoppers we might have something.

Sgt. Politeness fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Sep 28, 2019

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

At the end if the day, I still think this whole thing is silly.
I don't think any film has made anyone kill people. And any time it has been reported (IE Childsplay role in Jamie Bolger's murder, the Dark Knight Rises in Aurora shooting, Taxi Driver in the Regan assassination attempt) it is always the case that it's a misinterpretation of the facts made by the media or an urban legend.

There is always some bigger root problem (radicalisation, cheap availability of firearms, lack of treatment for mental health illnesses) that gets brushed aside since it's too difficult to easily fix (as opposed to "ban C film/ book/game.)

The narrative in the media at the moment is that Joker is going to inspire someone to perform a mass shooting at a cinema (and also that it's going to happen at a screening of Joker. Which seems contradictory, if the idea is that the shooter becomes obsessed with the film, why would he go shooting up a showing of the film?)
But why is Joker more likely to attract this kind of attention than any other film?
Because it contains violence? (John Wick contains more violence and gun play. But I guess since its deliberately over the top, the lone shooter types recognize satire, or something. )

I don't know. It really seems like people want to buy into this flawed "blame the film this killer watched, not the killer himself" narrative that has been peddled since the Satanic Panic because they don't like the idea of the Joker film.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Could Disney drop a trailer of anything so people can forget about Joker for a second?
Like make a quick one of Spider-man? Throw a Fantastic 4 teaser? Come on,please.

The Question IRL posted:

I don't know. It really seems like people want to buy into this flawed "blame the film this killer watched, not the killer himself" narrative that has been peddled since the Satanic Panic because they don't like the idea of the Joker film.

Some of the people who I've seen buying that (not in this forum, but on other social media), claim to do it because they hate the character. They hate the things Joker has done. Curiously, they don't mention the comic book writers or how and why Robin's death was decided. They just dislike the popular comic book bad guy clown.

And that's a very dumb reason to be okay with satanic panic bullshit.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The Twilight Zone is a film that made someone kill some people.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

I don't think John Landis counts....

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Dan Didio posted:

The Exorcist gave someone a heart attack.

Edit: Or was it Evil Dead?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Race Realists posted:

please say yes

oh yes.

CaptainApathyUK posted:

I don't think John Landis counts....

the Original Helicopter Parent

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Dan Didio posted:

Well using that criteria...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr9xVmCL0bA&t=203s

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Tbh i think the mistake being made in these arguments is the assumption that the movie will "make" someone shoot up a place, instead of it acting as a trigger for something a person has already been planning, which I find a a much more plausible scenario (although still with only a slim chance of happening I hope)

Race Realists posted:

ive always wondered how Vigilante-style Comics characters like bruce and frank castle can be totally revamped so theyre not white male incel power fantasies (i know thats a bit of a given but still)

I thought David Walker's nighthawk did this well, if only for a brief time before being cancelled

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Race Realists posted:

how could a left-wing batman be written that doesnt just make him Green Arrow?

Apart from focusing on having Bruce Wayne be the rehabilitative side, and Batman being the retributive as people were saying.

The other thing might be changing his targets to targeting richer, more protected villains.
Like imagine the bit at the start of the Dark Knight where he goes after the mobs accountant and just flies into China and extraordinary renditions him to a lamp post in Gotham. Only he is doing it to a guy who ran over a woman with his speed boat before fleeing to another country.

Or having Batman going after a Jeffrey Epstein type instead of poor, street criminals.

It does raise some issues (how people caught in a cycle of poverty and racism need help lot boots to their head...but they statistically also are the people who often commit violent street crime, the type that create Batman.
And how it's okay for Batman to use his billions of military grade equipment to gently caress up the mob, because it's a power fantasy of violent criminals meeting someone stronger and meaner than them. But if he did that to say a Cartel connected mob, are we back to the uncomfortable image of a white man beating up Hispanic people?)

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
This Joker conversation is just going around in circles here. In the interest of good faith, here's a question:

Is it possible for a work of art to effectively encourage audiences to be better people, and is it legitimate to praise that work for this reason?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yes for example RingFit Adventure for Nintendo Switch can encourage you to be active and have healthy exercise

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
steven universe's entire thing is teaching both the characters and the audience how to grow and become better people

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Y'all want some fascist hot takes?!

I think Steven Universe should be required viewing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So, why didn't anyone in the world until today tell me Halson Sage is in Dark Pheonix as Dazzler????

Though i'm sure that movie isn't worth sitting through for maybe the 30 seconds she appears on a TV or something.