Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Hey, you know what I love? SA's greatest sagas.

Me too.

Who was the guy who asked about blowing weed smoke in his baby's face to get it high?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Shine does post occassionally and when I found that out like two weeks ago it was the highlight of my day.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

FactsAreUseless posted:

Also there are a few admins who still post: Angerbeet's active, Cowcaster's around sometimes, I think Shine might still be in YLLS?

RIP Xylo

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Glass houses, there's never been a sad rhino. Because their skin is all baggy and comfy. Like the sweatpants of the epidermis world.

Great I'm sad now!

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Me too.

Who was the guy who asked about blowing weed smoke in his baby's face to get it high?

Dad?!?!!!

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
I have a sikkk burn on fau:

U were perhaps a little too timid about punishing oh so edgy gay and trans jokes when low tax woke up for ten minutes and decided to publicly reveal he didn't know "t****y" was a slur, likely out of legitimate fear of his mercurial nature and tendency to just cut off anyone who pushes his worldview too hard.

Thanks for fixing my avatar when he banned me for no reason whatsoever though.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
The time you over-explained what a song was to a deaf man (me) in I think the quotes thread was pretty funny :shobon:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Malachite_Dragon posted:

The time you over-explained what a song was to a deaf man (me) in I think the quotes thread was pretty funny :shobon:

This needs a link. Hope someone can find it

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
FAU, you have always been really nice to me and others that I have seen and I have no beef.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Lmao I forgot this happened

FactsAreUseless posted:

Further explanation: A song, most broadly, is a single (and often standalone) work of music that is typically intended to be sung by the human voice with distinct and fixed pitches and patterns using sound and silence and a variety of forms that often include the repetition of sections. Written words created specifically for music or for which music is specifically created, are called lyrics. If a pre-existing poem is set to composed music in classical music it is an art song. Songs that are sung on repeated pitches without distinct contours and patterns that rise and fall are called chants. Songs in a simple style that are learned informally are often referred to as folk songs. Songs that are composed for professional singers who sell their recordings or live shows to the mass market are called popular songs. These songs, which have broad appeal, are often composed by professional songwriters, composers and lyricists. Art songs are composed by trained classical composers for concert or recital performances. Songs are performed live and recorded on audio or video (or in some, cases, a song may be performed live and simultaneously recorded). Songs may also appear in plays, musical theatre, stage shows of any form, and within operas.

A song may be for a solo singer, a lead singer supported by background singers, a duet, trio, or larger ensemble involving more voices singing in harmony, although the term is generally not used for large classical music vocal forms including opera and oratorio, which use terms such as aria and recitative instead.[1] Songs with more than one voice to a part singing in polyphony or harmony are considered choral works. Songs can be broadly divided into many different forms, depending on the criteria used.

Songs may be written for one or more singers to sing without instrumental accompaniment or they may be written for performance with instrumental accompaniment. The accompaniment used for a song depends on the genre of music and, in classical styles, the instructions of the composer as set out in the musical score. Songs may be accompanied by a single accompanist playing piano or guitar, by a small ensemble (e.g., a jazz quartet, a basso continuo group (in the case of Baroque music), a rock or pop band or a rhythm section) or even a big band (for a jazz song) or orchestra (for a classical aria). One division is between "art songs", "pop songs" and traditional music which includes "folk songs" and early blues songs. Other common methods of classification are by purpose (sacred vs secular), by style (dance, ballad, Lied, etc.), or by time of origin (Renaissance, Contemporary, etc.). Songs may be learned and passed on "by ear" (as in traditional folk songs); from a recording or lead sheet (in jazz and pop) or from detailed music notation (in classical music). Some instrumental music which is played in a singing style may be named a song, e.g., Mendelssohn's Songs Without Words for solo piano.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Ah.
Explanation for my not getting the joke: I'm deaf, and have never heard of this song or this band.
:tipshat:

purple death ray has a new favorite as of 11:33 on Sep 28, 2019

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
FAU's pretty awesome when he just tells people to gently caress off now.

A few longstanding asswads got banned or perma'd when he was around so cool on that too

FilthyImp has a new favorite as of 14:36 on Sep 28, 2019

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

purple death ray posted:

I demand this explanation for what a song is as the reason for a sixer.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

purple death ray posted:

This is amazing :haw:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

FAU, you have always been really nice to me and others that I have seen and I have no beef.

this is like boasting of only having had nice interactions with the police

e: on a related note i think FAU gave me this name, down from DOWN JACKET FETISH from lowtax, down from SCALDED SCHLONG from iirc spanish manlove

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I also think FAU is a cool dude.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
FAU is a terrifying beast. A rabbit with the head of a goat.

Paladinus has a new favorite as of 19:01 on Sep 28, 2019

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Paladinus posted:

Good dude tho

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Paladinus posted:

That sounds like a great thing to have around to keep overgrowth out of your yard.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

are the head and body proportional or original scale

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Werong Bustope posted:

are the head and body proportional or original scale

Not unless you turn on your monitor.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

purple death ray posted:

lmfao I remember this too, I can't think of a better way it could have ended. I don't even remember what post I was responding to, it was such a dumb joke

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

on a related note i think FAU gave me this name, down from DOWN JACKET FETISH from lowtax, down from SCALDED SCHLONG from iirc spanish manlove
I don't think that's one of mine, but maybe? I think I gave out 200-something name changes in that thread and I only remember a few of them.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
a song is a fart from the heart

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

fauna posted:

https://twitter.com/katyperry/status/852052176352403456

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

FactsAreUseless posted:

I don't think that's one of mine, but maybe? I think I gave out 200-something name changes in that thread and I only remember a few of them.

I can't believe I remember this but DJF was quoting someone here and called their post an 'inexplicable humblebrag' and you? I guess? :shrug:? found it very funny.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

fauna posted:

:toot:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

fauna posted:

Fart from the heart and you're to blame

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I can't believe I remember this but DJF was quoting someone here and called their post an 'inexplicable humblebrag' and you? I guess? :shrug:? found it very funny.

no i did a "mods please rename me" post re: inexplicable humblebrags in response to something, and here we are

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

no i did a "mods please rename me" post re: inexplicable humblebrags in response to something, and here we are

Yeah, we get it, mods listen to you. Stop boasting about it.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Several years ago there was a poster whose entire shtick was that they would do a forums search for the word "tranny" every few hours and then go and tell the people using that word off, almost always without reading any of the thread itself. Now, language matters, and it's important that we listen and be respectful when a member of an oppressed community tells us that a word is hurtful. However, it was also extremely hilarious when this poster would Kool-Aid Man into an AI thread where people were discussing car transmissions.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Paladinus posted:

Yeah, we get it, mods listen to you. Stop boasting about it.

truly, some sort of

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Moon Slayer posted:

Several years ago there was a poster whose entire shtick was that they would do a forums search for the word "tranny" every few hours and then go and tell the people using that word off, almost always without reading any of the thread itself. Now, language matters, and it's important that we listen and be respectful when a member of an oppressed community tells us that a word is hurtful. However, it was also extremely hilarious when this poster would Kool-Aid Man into an AI thread where people were discussing car transmissions.

MageMage. I think it was a GiP car thread, though, not A.I., since he got a Dunson avatar out of it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

truly, some sort of

weird flex

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:laffo: well I was close!

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Moon Slayer posted:

I've tried to tell that story irl and had people get mad at me for calling a car transmission a tranny in the process.

People are dumb

Spins
Feb 26, 2016

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

truly, some sort of

Ha

You are the best :love:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Calling a transmission that doesn't make you bad or anything but it is one of those things where stubbornly clinging to once-innocuous slang is going to get you rightfully side-eyed. That dude is funny in the context of SA but irl my first thought would be "why do you care about whether or not you can say that just say transmission."

Also that reminds me that somebody rolled into the Games War Thunder (world war 2 cartoon vehicle game featuring the japanese) thread once and started casually dropping "japs" and then not just OP but two other posters as well ended up melting down over posters saying "could you just say IJN or something if "japanese" is too long?"

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Calling a transmission that doesn't make you bad or anything but it is one of those things where stubbornly clinging to once-innocuous slang is going to get you rightfully side-eyed. That dude is funny in the context of SA but irl my first thought would be "why do you care about whether or not you can say that just say transmission."

For context this happened in the early 2010’s where things hadn’t really turned around on that word in the general public.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

you hosed it up. you hosed it right up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also that reminds me that somebody rolled into the Games War Thunder (world war 2 cartoon vehicle game featuring the japanese) thread once and started casually dropping "japs" and then not just OP but two other posters as well ended up melting down over posters saying "could you just say IJN or something if "japanese" is too long?"

See, your example makes sense because it's using an offensive slur as an offensive slur.

Getting mad ( I'm not talking about your reasonable response, I'm talking mad) over a car term that has been in common use for decades is not going to do anything but make people think you are a crazy person irl