Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

dogsicle posted:

capitalism makes fools of us all

they definitely tried to give him some mystique in the event at least...

Yeah they wanted us to try and figure out who big boobs Mercedes was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Billzasilver posted:

Yeah they wanted us to try and figure out who big boobs Mercedes was.

Yeah, that was the actual mystery.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F5azNTnaOI

I'm sorry to expose you to this, but you did ask.

e: Completely unrelated, but if Scathach is immortal and undying, shouldn't she be subject to the same unsummonable rules as Merlin? She's not dead, so she can't be added to the Throne, right?

Bogart fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Sep 28, 2019

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

If I remember right, the incineration of humanity actually did manage to reach the Land of Shadows, kill her, and let her be added to the Throne as normal.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Cuntellectual posted:

Which is a really baffling design choice, I don't think any other game like this does that.

I play Magia Record, Girls Frontline and Azur Lane and none of them do reruns more than once (and in the case of the latter two's cross-company collabs, have zero plans of ever being rerun (because licensing, see)).
This is only natural, because scheduling.

The latter two eventually added archives that let you replay a limited version of the event, but that's not quite the same. Kannou has said they're tinkering around with ideas to allow reruns, anyways. They put Prison Tower in the rare prism shop, for example, although they don't plan on making that a fixture. Probably something more accessible, 2-san is very big on accessibility.

Bogart posted:

e: Completely unrelated, but if Scathach is immortal and undying, shouldn't she be subject to the same unsummonable rules as Merlin? She's not dead, so she can't be added to the Throne, right?
That's the normal case but given the incineration is literally "every single point in history is now on fire", Scach just died sometime before she became immortal. Same deal with Seiba.
Merlin got out of it because one of Independent Manifestation's more esoteric effects is to make the wielder into a fixed nail throughout time, making them more or less immune to time or existence fuckery.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 28, 2019

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Kyte posted:

I play Magia Record, Girls Frontline and Azur Lane and none of them have reruns more than once (and in the case of the latter two's cross-company collabs, have zero plans of ever being rerun (because licensing, see)).

The latter two eventually added archives that let you replay a limited version of the event, but that's not quite the same. (They've said they're tinkering around with ideas to do similar stuff. They put Prison Tower in the rare prism shop, for example, although they don't plan on making that a fixture either.)

Man, I didn't get all of the stuff from the Val-halla one. :negative:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Given how well Sukeban and Mica got along (and that Sukeban Games is a very small outfit that's not gonna do contract fuckery (segaaaaaa :argh:)), Va11halla crossover actually has a decent chance of getting rerun or sequel'd. But I wouldn't hold my breath either.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 28, 2019

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Kyte posted:

That's the normal case but given the incineration is literally "every single point in history is now on fire", Scach just died sometime before she became immortal. Same deal with Seiba.

Why are you mentioning Seiba here? She's king Arthur, the "once and future king" clause can as easily be fulfilled by a spontaneous summoning during England's greatest hour of need, and the "resting in Avalon" clause is poetic license and/or the fairies are keeping her corpse cryogenicaly frozen.
The fuckery in Stay Night just allowed her to live her first few summons sequentially and remember them, but once she let go of her self-destructing wish after her route she died and became a normal Heroic Spirit under normal rules, as much as normal rules are a thing that matters in the Nasuverse.

I'm not really sure how Lancertoria got onto the Throne in the timeline where Galahad didn't yeet Excalibur, probably Chaldea interference?

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Omobono posted:

I'm not really sure how Lancertoria got onto the Throne in the timeline where Galahad didn't yeet Excalibur, probably Chaldea interference?

She is not the same incarnation of Altria that we fought in Camelot. The one that can be summoned is a version of her that used Rhon (not going to spell it's full name) as her main weapon instead of Excalibur, causing her to age normally. The one in Camelot used Excalibur as her main weapon, but switched to using Rhon after Bedivere failed to return Excalibur to the Lady of the Lake.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

Bakanogami posted:

I have a rider kintoki who’s forever stuck at 40 because I was busy and didn’t farm ascension mats. Get those mats if you can.

I finished the bonus quests up to the pyramid (don't know if I have the patience for those) and had enough coins to buy three of the materials. Now I just need to grind up about 100 more gold for the last one, and then I guess it's more grinding to buy ascension mats from the store.

Bakanogami posted:

For any new players right now, I’d say your priorities are:

1) Get Ascension mats for Brave Liz.
2) Get extra copies of Brave Liz.
3) Strengthen your team enough so you can clear this year’s Halloween event and get Mecha-Eli-Chan.
4) Clear the main story up to Babylonia so you can participate in the story-locked Christmas event in a few months, pausing to strengthen your team as necessary.
5) Clear Solomon so you can jump right into the part 2 shenanigans starting New Years and don’t have to worry about getting spoiled.

Is there a faster way to level servants than farming embers from the daily quest?

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Seyser Koze posted:

I finished the bonus quests up to the pyramid (don't know if I have the patience for those) and had enough coins to buy three of the materials. Now I just need to grind up about 100 more gold for the last one, and then I guess it's more grinding to buy ascension mats from the store.

Is there a faster way to level servants than farming embers from the daily quest?

Not outside of events.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Seyser Koze posted:

Lol not really. Events and the monthly shop are better, but I’m guessing you already ran out of those.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think Granblue has the best system. Events only get rerun once, but anything super relevant to the plot eventually gets put into the side-story section, where you can replay it after you've reached the point in the story where it makes sense. It even has a limited version of the event shop and you unlock a couple of the free nodes after you're done, so you can get a few goodies.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Do a lot of mobile games make billions of dollars like FGO does?

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

Kyte posted:

They put Prison Tower in the rare prism shop, for example, although they don't plan on making that a fixture. Probably something more accessible, 2-san is very big on accessibility.

Prison Tower is more like a long trial quest rather than a proper event, so it makes sense they added it to the store since they have been adding trial quests there.

Omobono posted:

The fuckery in Stay Night just allowed her to live her first few summons sequentially and remember them, but once she let go of her self-destructing wish after her route she died and became a normal Heroic Spirit under normal rules, as much as normal rules are a thing that matters in the Nasuverse.

No, after dying Artoria goes to Avalon instead of the Throne.

quote:

Q: In the Saber route, Saber terminated her contract with the World by breaking the Grail by her own will, but in the end, wouldn't a hero of the caliber of King Arthur end up being removed from the cycle of transmigration as a Heroic Spirit after death?

A: King Arthur's goin' to Avalon. Among the English, King Arthur's still a person of the present. After all, she's the "future King who will be back"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Billzasilver posted:

FGO is the top grossing game and has been for years, but there's a few games that are competitive, like Granblue.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

dokkan regularly tops the charts for big banners as well

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Billzasilver posted:

Yes, despite the gacha roots, a lot of western mobile games make as much if not more than FGO by a considerable margin.

quote:

These are the top ten free-to-play games by revenue for 2018, according to SuperData:

[Bolded: Mobile games]

1. Fortnite, Epic Games - $2.4 billion
2. Dungeon Fighter Online, Nexon - $1.5 billion
3. League of Legends, Riot Games, Tencent - $1.4 billion
4. Pokemon GO, Niantic - $1.3 billion
5. Crossfire, Neowiz Games - $1.3 billion
6. Honour of Kings, Tencent - $1.3 billion
7. Fate/Grand Order, Aniplex - $1.2 billion
8. Candy Crush Saga, King, Activision Blizzard - $1.1 billion
9. Monster Strike, Mixi - $1.0 billion
10. Clash Royale, Supercell, Tencent - $0.9 billion

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

There is only one Western mobile game above FGO in that list, and it's one that uses a Japanese property.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Vengarr posted:

It wasn’t really a secret in his own event, since the gacha was all “Get your 5* Edmond Dantes today!”

It's really weird whenever FGO does spoiler banners, especially when they put a servant on a banner months before they're actually in anything. It's like someone giving you a limited time offer to buy a game and then only showing you the trailer afterwards. I much prefer the "class of x" thing with servants that haven't been revealed yet.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Seyser Koze posted:

Yeah, I friended somebody with a Lv. 90 Cu Chulainn Alter in the berserker slot and he's basically been carrying me through these, since with one or two exceptions I only have one leveled servant per class.

Any: Mash
Saber: Mordred
Lancer: Cu Chulainn (the one with the non-Nasu artwork)
Archer: Emiya
Rider: Drake
Caster: Cu Chulainn
Assassin: Serenity
Zerker: Ibaraki

Still on America in the main story.

Is the event not going to get another replay next year?

This is a drat strong roster right here. Very jealous of your Drake, Banana, and Idiot Son.

In terms of advancement, I would probably aim to get two decent servants of each class leveled, as that lets you work the single-class nodes pretty easily and gives you slightly better options, but it's not absolutely mandatory given how strong many of your servants are.

Seyser Koze posted:

Not really. NeroFest was the best time to level folks, but you'll get a decent stack of embers with each event. Just run the daily at least once (and maybe a couple times, depending on the events happening) to keep gathering up those embers and your servants will creep up in level soon enough. The real rough part is 70+, as the cost to level is exponential, but at that point you should be able to hit most events and get the stuff from them much easier. It also helps to have a plan for what servants you're rolling for so you can save up embers for them in advance (or spend now on another servant, if you find there's no one of a particular class you're after.)

Crasical posted:

Real talk, though, can we cool it on policing what Servants people are allowed to like? It's fine to not like particular characters but people throwing out "It's good that the quests are bugged and people can't get extra NP levels for Brave Liz, because she sucks and I hate her" is kind of bumming me out. Same with the "FBI!" jabs anytime Chloe or Jack or Wu get brought up.

I don't think it pays to take most of the stuff people post here seriously, as we all know it's a game about waifus and husbandos and that's why we play it. There's some legitimate complaints to be had about some of the servants (especially the underage ones), but since very few people here are going Full Anime Creeper I don't think it's something that needs to be pushed too hard on.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
So close to the Carmilla animation update...

NeverAfter
Apr 20, 2016

As a fairly new player, I heard that you need to max ascension the event servant during the upcoming Halloween event, about how many gold embers should I hold onto to make it easy for a casual player to do?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It takes 177 class cards to push a servant to level 70, which is what you'd need to be to max ascend them. Keep in mind most event shops have 100 XP cards in them as well.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

NeverAfter posted:

As a fairly new player, I heard that you need to max ascension the event servant during the upcoming Halloween event, about how many gold embers should I hold onto to make it easy for a casual player to do?

you only need to ascend her 3 times (reach lv 60)

between the 100 gold from event, 100 silver (equiv 33 gold), and the 50? from shop reset you have plenty to get here there

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

As a new player, you'll have some time to farm some embers while the veteran players are going through a story that'll be given like 2 weeks to complete.

Getting Mecha Liz to full ascension should be a priority, as it'll likely be your best anti-Caster/Assassin/Rider for a long time.

Also, unlike most welfares, you can get a second, usable copy of her next year in a different color.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Why do you need to ascend her?

vv: I am a dumb. What does that mean? :shobon:

Bogart fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 28, 2019

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Halloween 2019 NA is a mission event

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014
Probably a long shot, but can you use both Mecha Eli-chan versions in the same party since they're Alter Egos of each other?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

yes, they have separate servant IDs

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Bogart posted:

It means you have a list of 100 missions to fulfill (kill X of enemy Y, complete X missions, ascend mecha-eli 3 times, etc) to unlock various things, including ascension mats, and the thing you need to buy additional welfare np levels.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/PalladionPerDay/status/1177754635324534785?s=19

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Melt has Protection from Arrows Crime Ballet which automatically makes her A-tier imo.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

AbusePuppy posted:

This is a drat strong roster right here. Very jealous of your Drake, Banana, and Idiot Son.

In terms of advancement, I would probably aim to get two decent servants of each class leveled, as that lets you work the single-class nodes pretty easily and gives you slightly better options, but it's not absolutely mandatory given how strong many of your servants are.

I can definitely feel the difference whenever I have to use casters or assassins. I read somewhere that Serenity was really good once you'd ascended her a couple times, but I'm guessing that's because of her skills rather than her damage.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Serenity is a stall/DOT servant, I wouldn't really say she's particularly good in most situations. silver assassin pool is really dire in terms of quality though, you either pick Jing Ke for a powerful one-time NP/crit nuke, or Hundred Faces for RNG-based damage with NP looping.

the gacha 4* are solid aside from Yan and Stheno, but Mecha Eli in a few weeks and Shiki rerun in about six months means even new or f2p players should be set when it comes to killing riders.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
I'm looking at Mecha Eli and I am amazed at how good this servant looks on paper.

Especially compared to Brave Liz.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Any servant with three usable skills is better than Brave Eli.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

There is only one Western mobile game above FGO in that list, and it's one that uses a Japanese property.

I don't know if it counts as a "mobile game" but iirc most of the people who play fortnite do so on phones.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Bogart posted:

The event will have a list of missions that you will complete by doing various tasks, such as defeating a certain number of an enemy type, collecting certain amounts of event currency, or ascending the event welfare a certain amount of times. Each mission will reward you with something when you complete it, and it's not uncommon for the welfare's extra copies or ascension items to be locked behind missions, so people will try to complete as many as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Cuntellectual posted:

I don't know if it counts as a "mobile game" but iirc most of the people who play fortnite do so on phones.

How, though.
I can't imagine doing a shooter game without a controller or mouse+Keyboard.
Am I just getting old?