Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Mac Cube. Polycarbonate MacBook palmrests. TitaniumBook. Leaky PowerMac. These things have been going on since 1997 and people are acting like Trashcan Pro and butterfly keyboard are unprecedented.

You're listing a lot of marketing failures and things that just broke over time.

But the Mac Pro and butterfly keyboard are absolutely failures of mechanical design that should have been strangled in the womb. It's a difference of misguided CONCEPT vs EXECUTION.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Why does everybody bitch about the MacBook’s battery life and thinness? Most flight regulators stipulate a maximum of 100 Wh batteries in devices. The MacBook Pro 15 already has the max Wh battery - 99.5 Wh @ 11.36V, or 8760 mAh.

I’m also pretty sure MacBook benchmarks are right in line with thicker laptops from HP/Dell, so there’s really no reason to justify beefing up their laptops like they’ve been doing with iPhone batteries.

Any reports of 2019 MacBook Pro butterfly keyboard issues?

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 25, 2019

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Gay Retard posted:

Why does everybody bitch about the MacBook’s battery life and thinness? Most flight regulators stipulate a maximum of 100 Wh batteries in devices. The MacBook Pro 15 already has the max Wh battery - 99.5 Wh @ 11.36V,

The current 15" is like a 78whr or something isn't it?

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

The current 15" is like a 78whr or something isn't it?

Some of the earlier 15” Touchbars are 87, but you’re right, they haven’t been 99 for a few years. Curious that they’ve reduced the capacity over the years.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I thought people bitched about the throttling/heat on the 15" and not battery.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

AlternateAccount posted:

You're listing a lot of marketing failures and things that just broke over time.

But the Mac Pro and butterfly keyboard are absolutely failures of mechanical design that should have been strangled in the womb. It's a difference of misguided CONCEPT vs EXECUTION.

Lol what? You’re manufacturing a distinction here that I really don’t think exists.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Lol what? You’re manufacturing a distinction here that I really don’t think exists.

Well... no.

Palmrests cracking after years of use is an entirely different failure state than the entire inception of the trashcan.

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."
Ok guys so I come for advise. I apologize if this is not the place, but blah blha I assumed it was.

I rock on a mid 2012 Macbook Pro that is starting to die, it has an i7 8gb RAM and 2.6ghz 750gb HDD. Honestly not sure why its so slow, might just be components are old or I am just too used to SSDs now. I am looking to replace this mac for a newer version. Current budget can go up for a Macbook Air with 258gbs ssd and thinking on asking for 16GBs RAM.

The porpuse of this Mac is photography and design related. I run stuff like Capture One, Photoshop, Ilustrator, After Effects, Premier and Final Cut. It does some coding too but those things doesn't require as much processing capacity as the others.

My question here is: Should I go for the Air or I will just be throwing my money away? Do I better save for more time and try to upgrade to a decent Macbook Pro?

I am inclined for the air because its battery time, I travel quiet a bit and the least amount of time I need to be stuck to a wall the better.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

MikeStmria posted:

Ok guys so I come for advise. I apologize if this is not the place, but blah blha I assumed it was.

I rock on a mid 2012 Macbook Pro that is starting to die, it has an i7 8gb RAM and 2.6ghz 750gb HDD. Honestly not sure why its so slow, might just be components are old or I am just too used to SSDs now. I am looking to replace this mac for a newer version. Current budget can go up for a Macbook Air with 258gbs ssd and thinking on asking for 16GBs RAM.

The porpuse of this Mac is photography and design related. I run stuff like Capture One, Photoshop, Ilustrator, After Effects, Premier and Final Cut. It does some coding too but those things doesn't require as much processing capacity as the others.

My question here is: Should I go for the Air or I will just be throwing my money away? Do I better save for more time and try to upgrade to a decent Macbook Pro?

I am inclined for the air because its battery time, I travel quiet a bit and the least amount of time I need to be stuck to a wall the better.

It’s kind of up to you. I still use a 2012 mbp, but it has an ssd. Regardless of what else you do, I recommend swapping out that hard drive with an ssd as it’ll breathe new life into the laptop regardless of when/whether you get the new one. That’s 100% why it feels so slow.

I have edited 1080p video in FCP on my old 2010 air, which I bring up to show that the air is capable of doing whatever, just perhaps a bit more slowly. I don’t think it’s throwing your money away (it’s also lighter and easier to carry around, for one). I will say that none of those battery life claims include doing editing work, so keep that in mind.

If you save up, did you want to go for the 15-inch model of the MBP, or the 13-inch unit? It used to be that the jump between air and Pro13 wasn’t as huge, but I presume there’s a marked difference between the 13-inch MBP and Air these days, since the 13-inch MBP starts with a quad-core chip.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I love the Air and I will second that it’s plenty capable for many-if-not-most common tasks. That said, the new entry level Pro is one of those weird high value SKUs that Apple produces every once in a while and will probably deliberately gimp or eliminate in the next upgrade cycle or two. If you can afford it with a decent amount of RAM and storage, going to four cores in the Pro from two in the Air is a major upgrade.

Basically, on paper the CPU is notably less powerful than the higher end 13 inch Pro (~1.x vs 2.x GHZ) but in real world practice the performance difference is negligible. So if you’re ok with less bassy speakers and two thunderbolt ports instead of four, it’s a total sweet spot purchase.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
FYI new laptops may be released in October.

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."
If I go for the pro I will go for the 13 cheapest with decent spects one. Tbh Im on budget here so that is a big constrain.

Another option I do have is last years macbook pro 13", can;'t remember the exact specs, but it only has 128gbs, so Im afraid that the space wont be enough for the applications and it ends up being slow anyways. That PC is my moms one that she never uses so I might be able to convince here of a trade.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

MikeStmria posted:

If I go for the pro I will go for the 13 cheapest with decent spects one. Tbh Im on budget here so that is a big constrain.

Another option I do have is last years macbook pro 13", can;'t remember the exact specs, but it only has 128gbs, so Im afraid that the space wont be enough for the applications and it ends up being slow anyways. That PC is my moms one that she never uses so I might be able to convince here of a trade.

That’ll be enough for apps, but not much else.

Honestly if you can swing it, I think your very first action should be to replace the hard drive with an ssd. If it doesn’t speed up your current model enough, return it and go buy a new MacBook. I think you might be pleasantly surprised, though, and if nothing else it’ll give you more time to think about it in case of any potential upcoming notebook release.

You’ll get lots of recommendations, but I quite like the Samsung drives. Here’s one that has a terabyte of flash storage for $140:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Inch-Internal-MZ-76E1T0B-AM/dp/B078DPCY3T/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=Samsung+ssd&qid=1569692217&sr=8-3

512gb is $80.

Also, go fiddle with your mom’s and just get an idea for how it feels.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
phrasing

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Seconding putting the SSD in your 2012. I still use a mid-2012 non-retina 15" and it's fine for everything except more stressful gaming.

MikeStmria
Aug 13, 2019

"So it begins.."

mediaphage posted:

That’ll be enough for apps, but not much else.

Honestly if you can swing it, I think your very first action should be to replace the hard drive with an ssd. If it doesn’t speed up your current model enough, return it and go buy a new MacBook. I think you might be pleasantly surprised, though, and if nothing else it’ll give you more time to think about it in case of any potential upcoming notebook release.

You’ll get lots of recommendations, but I quite like the Samsung drives. Here’s one that has a terabyte of flash storage for $140:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Inch-Internal-MZ-76E1T0B-AM/dp/B078DPCY3T/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=Samsung+ssd&qid=1569692217&sr=8-3

512gb is $80.

Also, go fiddle with your mom’s and just get an idea for how it feels.

Thanks for that advise, will look into upgrading it. I am doubtful on what to do as I have a ROG laptop with an i7 as well as a desktop with an i9 in case I need heavy lifting, I just find that Mac provides a better workflow in all this apps than windows.

Will look for a new SSD. Do I need to go to an apple service center and ask it to be installed. Also, is the turn -in programme from apple worth. It seems that you dont get too much for pcs that might still work fine for other less stressfull tasks.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Swapping in an SSD is pretty easy. Look at iFixit or YouTube for a walkthrough. You’ve got a 2012 Unibody MacBook Pro. They’re as repairable as they get.

As far as the trade-in program, I’d probably pass. There are better places to sell Macs and PCs (MacMeAnOffer, Swappa, eBay, or SA). It’s part effort too I know, but even for just a little more of that, you can make quite a bit more cash.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Yeah nitsuga spelled it out but I agree. The 2012 non retinas are very easy to upgrade. And the trade in is usually not worth much at all (rarely worth it period imo but I don’t mind trawling for sales online) if your device is much more than a couple of years old.

Honestly with the other computing power at your disposal I’d upgrade the ssd and call it a day. Then put any money you wanted to spend on a MacBook into an account and save up for when you can buy a nice new one (or better yet Apple certified refurb) in a couple years.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
if what OP needs is a portable computer and they want MacOS, then an Air or entry level Pro are seriously good choices. I’d wait for the keyboards to be improved (this fall? Next year?) before buying unless I got a screaming deal, but I can’t imagine that the ROG laptop is particularly portable

I do caution against wild or needless GAS tho. If you can make one of the existing computers work then that’s absolutely advisable and moral. But also thin and sleek and light is good if you’re trucking it around a bunch.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

if what OP needs is a portable computer and they want MacOS, then an Air or entry level Pro are seriously good choices. I’d wait for the keyboards to be improved (this fall? Next year?) before buying unless I got a screaming deal, but I can’t imagine that the ROG laptop is particularly portable

I do caution against wild or needless GAS tho. If you can make one of the existing computers work then that’s absolutely advisable and moral. But also thin and sleek and light is good if you’re trucking it around a bunch.

They already have an older Mac, tho. Regardless of how it goes I’m sure op will be happy with whatever decision honestly

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

mediaphage posted:

They already have an older Mac, tho. Regardless of how it goes I’m sure op will be happy with whatever decision honestly

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
A colleague just spilt a cup of coffee all over my private 2013 MacBook Pro. I wiped off the excess liquid, turned off the computer and put it upside-down. Is here anything else I should do? What are the odds it survived the disaster once I turn it on?

I’m a bit afraid it will turn on just fine and then die on me in a few weeks time when I will have trouble proving this was the reason for its death :confused:

Xabi fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Sep 30, 2019

eames
May 9, 2009

Do you have a backup of the data?

There isn’t much you can do. Consider bringing it to an AASP before even turning it on. They would probably replace the topcase and clean the mainboard thoroughly. The odds that it survived without any damage are slim to none. Even if it works it is quite possible that corrosion will damage the board a few weeks or months after the incident.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Things are luckily backed up.

Will replacing the topcase and cleaning the mainboard thoroughly at an AASP save it though, or could possible corrosion kill it in a few weeks/months anyway? Probably quite difficult to answer but I know nothing. It seems a waste to spend a lot at an AASP if it'll only be a temporary fix.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

If the liquid touched the main board and corrosion needed to be cleaned off yes the lifetime is indeterminable. It may last a normal lifetime or it may not.

eames
May 9, 2009

Xabi posted:

Things are luckily backed up.

Will replacing the topcase and cleaning the mainboard thoroughly at an AASP save it though, or could possible corrosion kill it in a few weeks/months anyway? Probably quite difficult to answer but I know nothing. It seems a waste to spend a lot at an AASP if it'll only be a temporary fix.

They would clean it in an ultrasonic cleaner and/or alcohol to displace the water. There’s no telling how long it would last after, as Pivo said.
Be aware that the chance of corrosion is higher the longer you wait to have it cleaned and there’s also a chance of the device catching fire if the liquid entered the battery or battery connectors.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

My mid-2010 iMac running High Sierra has recently stopped staying asleep. Looking at the syslog I get:

(AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: ?

There are two entries with that reason every minute or so. Any ideas what could be the cause?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

eames & Pivo: thank you!

Which one of today's Macbook Pros is the equivalent to my 2013 MBP?

13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display
2.4GHz Dual-core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz
8GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
256GB PCIe-based Flash Storage

Also, which one is the one to get today? Maybe an Air? The most advanced stuff I'm doing is some light Lightroom/Photoshop, but I also have an iMac for the really juicy stuff.

eames
May 9, 2009

Air would probably be ok for your use case.
Wait until the Apple event this month before you buy, many of the devices are going to get refreshed there. Some if not all of them are supposed to get a new, fixed keyboard.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
My late 2013 15” rMBP with 750m has been exhibiting weird behavior when I wake it from sleep lately.

The screen will briefly show a multicolored ‘fuzz’ pattern- imagine like white noise from a tv antenna but the noise will be in colors, with a predominantly white screen. It’s only like that for a split second, and doesn’t happen every time I wake it.

Admittedly I’ve been pushing the computer pretty hard lately (lots of browser tabs and office docs and PDFs and pycharm and creative cloud app windows open continually in different desktops). It’s not uncommon for the computer to run hot and start the fans up or for the battery to get spent quickly (it’s apparently still healthy enough but I plan on replacing it as soon as later this month). Could this be causing that kind of behavior?

The rudimentary checking I’ve done appears to show both GPUs functioning and switching duties like normal.

I’ll shut everything down and clean up my workflow a bit this weekend and run any pending updates to see if that changes things. Other than that, should I be concerned about this screen behavior? Would it potentially stop with these fixes (which I was planning to do anyway) or is this a sign of the computer starting to die?

I’m not getting other display issues or artifacting during normal use, even when the GPU switches from Intel to NVidia. It’s only upon waking.

eames
May 9, 2009

I’d say it’s an early sign of the GPU or a related part (VRAM, etc) dying. I had similar issues with he same model and it went on for a few months until it refused to turn on. Had the logic board replaced only to have it fail a few months later. Seems to be a pretty common issue. You could try to press cmd-shift-3 rapidly after waking to get a screenshot of it, that would confirm that it isn’t the monitor or cable. In my case the artifacts were indeed visible in the screenshot.

My theory is that bad TIM is causing the GPU to overheat when under stress for extended periods of time which degrades the chip. The CPU will throttle at 100C but the 750m doesn’t have these advanced power management mechanisms under macOS.

eames fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 3, 2019

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Are those the Nvidia GPUs that forced Apple to switch to AMD GPUs? They're ticking time bombs.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
In Apple sucks rear end news: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiCBYAP_Sgg

That is just loving hilarious. Really funny stuff.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Please don't embed links to the angry short man I don't want the algorithm to curse me.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There's a bunch of channels that just do endless apple sucks videos. I guess you can make a living that way.

"iPhone is boring and terrible - top 10 reasons why!"
"Tim cook hosed me in the rear end!"
"Apple REFUSES to REPAIR my Macbook!!!"

Weedle
May 31, 2006

How hilarious is it, really, though?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

There's a bunch of channels that just do endless apple sucks videos. I guess you can make a living that way.

"iPhone is boring and terrible - top 10 reasons why!"
"Tim cook hosed me in the rear end!"
"Apple REFUSES to REPAIR my Macbook!!!"

Lol

"ANOTHER 10 reasons I hate APPLE products so much they're so BAD."

- video #245 obsessing over apple machines

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Louis Rossman is different from most folks because he knows what the hell he's talking about at a bare metal level.

That's where 95% of his expertise is. I will say he rails against Apple for things that were already voted down in a boardroom somewhere in Cupertino. He really hates them for cornering certain parts off the market, to the point he can't order the component he needs because Apple bought all of them in existence, making him settle for transplanting the same part off a pull or substitute.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

redeyes posted:

In Apple sucks rear end news: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiCBYAP_Sgg

That is just loving hilarious. Really funny stuff.

The new MacBook Air uses a 7 watt cpu like the fanless 12" MacBook so it shouldn't need a fan at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Binary Badger posted:

Louis Rossman is different from most folks because he knows what the hell he's talking about at a bare metal level.

That's where 95% of his expertise is. I will say he rails against Apple for things that were already voted down in a boardroom somewhere in Cupertino. He really hates them for cornering certain parts off the market, to the point he can't order the component he needs because Apple bought all of them in existence, making him settle for transplanting the same part off a pull or substitute.

A long time ago there was a story about the HP/palm touchpad and how it sucked so much because a lot of parts they wanted to use had already been completely bought up by Apple. Can’t imagine the rage he’d have being on the receiving end of that.