Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mailer posted:

I don't think the crobbler could handle The Expanse. It's space, but somehow doesn't map back to WW2 dogfighting. A truly impossible creation.

Why is Agony Aunt out drinking with cultists?

Its the only way i can feel superior to those around me. I just tell them about my legatus pack and watch them bow down and worship the size of my wad.

ed: Cpt. Richard taxxe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Jason Sextro posted:

Star Citizen is good, confirm/deny?

Abort/Fail

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
https://i.imgur.com/VsRZT7d.mp4

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
I think :cig: might be developmentally challenged :ohdear:

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

Thoatse posted:

I think :cig: might be developmentally challenged :ohdear:

That's what they want you to think.

I think.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Agony Aunt posted:

Deep Thought 2.

I hope they chose the meringue option this time.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Where is that little, square, troll-looking guy who was always saluting in pictures?

mjotto
Nov 8, 2017
Ben ate him

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Where is that little, square, troll-looking guy who was always saluting in pictures?

You mean ShapCap?

He's probably busy lubeing himself up in preparation for Citizen con.

Nellistos
Mar 2, 2013
:allears:

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Agony Aunt posted:

You mean ShapCap?

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Why would anyone want to explore boring procedural caves in a broke rear end piece of poo poo like SC when Deep Rock Galactic exists? This is the problem with trying to make your game do everything, none of the features are going to be particularly deep, innovative, distinct, or fun. Hmmmm, one game has a noticeable feel/style and lets my friends and I shoot hordes of bugs as a team of drunk space dwarves, the other has empty voids of nothing, bland milsperm graphics, and if I fire my gun at someone I'll noclip into the sun. Which one is more fun?

I know Kitchen Nightmares is reality TV and should not be taken as fact, but I love that garbage and one of the running themes to a lot of bad restaurants is bland food from having gargantuan menus. Oh yeah, we serve EVERYTHING but none of it is particularly good and our restaurant is right next to a bunch of places that serve much better versions of the same stuff for a similar price. Whhhhy are we going out of business??

Elderbean fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 28, 2019

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Thanks for inserting the imagery of Roberts kickstarting a restaurant.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Colostomy Bag posted:

BDRE

h3isenbug
Jun 5, 2016

Right Meow!

Agony Aunt posted:

I just tell them about my legatus pack
Any chance you are going to tell me about your huge legatus pack some day? I want to know every dirty little detail...

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Instead of dollars the stretch goals are based on waistband sizes.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

Legend has it that he got funding for it 20 years ago and he's almost finished making the very first dish of soup, it's selling point is that it has every food item known to man in it, even some that he made from scratch.

Legend also has it that the soup isn't even on the menu, and never was.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

h3isenbug posted:

Any chance you are going to tell me about your huge legatus pack some day? I want to know every dirty little detail...

*whispers*

Some of the pixels are green

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

LOL, "I have zero investment in SC"

"haters"
"haters"
"haters"
"SC is so far beyond ED..."

Yes, i really believe he has zero investment in SC.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Agony Aunt posted:

LOL, "I have zero investment in SC"

"haters"
"haters"
"haters"
"SC is so far beyond ED..."

Yes, i really believe he has zero investment in SC.

You can tell what the cult are scared of, or worried about, by what they project onto ED. From this we can tell this Cultist is worried that ED is actually released whereas SC is not, that ED is finished and actually playable in a way the game he loves is not, and that he's scared by the eternal alpha. So he retreats to saying no, ED is unfinished, SC is actually released, etc etc.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

What does “cinematic realism” mean? Aren’t those two different things?

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

chaosapiant posted:

"No, no, camera left! Camera left!"

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

chaosapiant posted:

Space bulldozers.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Loxbourne posted:

You can tell what the cult are scared of, or worried about, by what they project onto ED. From this we can tell this Cultist is worried that ED is actually released whereas SC is not, that ED is finished and actually playable in a way the game he loves is not, and that he's scared by the eternal alpha. So he retreats to saying no, ED is unfinished, SC is actually released, etc etc.

There is a very simple way to confront that kind of rationalization with reality: Point out that Elite has had full on game critics reviews on launch, the ones that are done to a released product, whereas SC has none.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Colostomy Bag posted:

Instead of dollars the stretch goals are based on waistband sizes.

Stretchmarks

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Thom12255 posted:

Is there an article/post somewhere that discusses the behind the scenes of the announcement of SC back in 2012?

Inside the Troubled Development of Star Citizen

That's the front-facing version (It's a fantastic series of installments). I'm sure someone can dig up what happened behind the scenes.

quote:

To build this prototype, he would need people and a game engine. “I didn’t want to build a game engine from scratch,” Roberts said. “I did that for all my old games, but it just takes time. It can have all these cool features and maybe it's 5% better than the current state of the art engine, but then I've lost two years in doing it.”

At that point in 2011, Roberts had two appropriate choices: Epic Games’ Unreal Engine and Crytek’s CryEngine. The Unreal Engine is one of the oldest and most-used engines in the industry, and in 2011 Unreal Engine 4 was nearing release. Crytek, on the other hand, had released CryEngine 3 in 2009, and the studio didn’t plan on releasing a new version for a few more years. CryEngine has powered some beautiful first-person shooters from Crytek, with richly detailed, large open environments for players to explore, but hasn’t often been adapted to other genres.

Even as a prototype, Star Citizen was a global game. Chris, working out of LA, was joined by developers in San Francisco, Austin, Montreal, and Mexico (with a little help from Crytek out in Frankfurt). This early remote setup “made me think well, maybe we don't need to have one centralised studio”, Roberts told me. “Maybe we can spread this out and we can collaborate across the different areas and go to where the talent is.”

As this small team started to work on the prototype, the project attracted the attention of a couple of people working over at Crytek, the game engine’s developer. Sean Tracey, Paul Reindell and Hannes Appell were all fans of the Wing Commander games and lent a hand where they could. Appell, for instance, who is now director of cinematics on Star Citizen, created videos to show off the prototype to investors using the assets that were created by Behaviour and CGBot.

This setup, however, would be the start of another set of issues during Star Citizen’s early development: a spread-out set of developers with oceans between them faced challenges that a more centralised studio wouldn’t have. From the very beginning, CIG was using third-party contractors, remote studios, and virtual collaboration. All those choices made sense when developing the prototype, but as the team, scope, and budget of Star Citizen grew, the studio structure would have to radically adapt.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Hi there my name is Chris Knoppers,

I want to kickstart my participation at the olympic winter games in the disciplines ski jumping and half-pipe for the state of Vanuatu. Since winter sports are quite neglected in Vanuatu this will be an easy win. You may also remember, that I once sucessfully steered a bobsled down an ice track.

To train i will buy a giant ski jumping ramp which I will then modify to also include a half-pipe, a corkscrew and a looping. You will see that this amazing poo poo has never been done before. The more attachments i can add to my ramp, the faster i can train. Since snow is really easy to produce we will add that last.

To convince you here is a video of me winning 3 gold medals (done by PieTec, they are Germans so what could possibly go wrong).

edit: Oh i almost forgot. If my rival David Raven approaches you to crowdfund his curling team...then stay frosty.

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 29, 2019

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Flared Basic Bitch
Feb 22, 2005

Invading your personal space since 1968.

Mailer posted:

Why is Agony Aunt out drinking with cultists?

Surely you don’t expect him to hang out with them and NOT drink.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Flared Basic Bitch posted:

Surely you don’t expect him to hang out with them and NOT drink.

:hmmyes:

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Sean Murray constantly said "Yes" to every idea for features, gameplay and possibility in his game = Got reputationally evicerated when he released what he had and has since had to work very hard to repair both his game, and his reputation. To his credit, he has mostly made good on the things he promised and isn't showing any signs of slowdown. This is how you turn things around.

Christopher Roberts constantly said "Yes" to every idea for features, gameplay and possibility in his game and even adds what he plagerizes heavily from pretty much every scifi source or ip there is = Is viewed as a golden boy of gaming, constantly defended by the very people he has let down over and over again, has never released a version of SC or S42 beyond broken tech demos of early gameplay portions that frequently have more problems than solutions. To his credit he doesn't have to do anything but absolve himself and continue to sell nonexistant gameplay items and jpegs. He has mostly made nothing useful and isn't showing any signs of changing his ways. This is how you balls things up.

This always makes me chuckle.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sabreseven posted:

Sean Murray constantly said "Yes" to every idea for features, gameplay and possibility in his game = Got reputationally evicerated when he released what he had and has since had to work very hard to repair both his game, and his reputation. To his credit, he has mostly made good on the things he promised and isn't showing any signs of slowdown. This is how you turn things around.

Christopher Roberts constantly said "Yes" to every idea for features, gameplay and possibility in his game and even adds what he plagerizes heavily from pretty much every scifi source or ip there is = Is viewed as a golden boy of gaming, constantly defended by the very people he has let down over and over again, has never released a version of SC or S42 beyond broken tech demos of early gameplay portions that frequently have more problems than solutions. To his credit he doesn't have to do anything but absolve himself and continue to sell nonexistant gameplay items and jpegs. He has mostly made nothing useful and isn't showing any signs of changing his ways. This is how you balls things up.

This always makes me chuckle.

Ultimately the difference is that Sean Murray made the mistake of releasing a game and collapsing the waveform. Chris won't make that mistake.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

chaosapiant posted:

Most movies are crap, therefore SC is going to be cinematically realist.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

MedicineHut posted:

There is a very simple way to confront that kind of rationalization with reality: Point out that Elite has had full on game critics reviews on launch, the ones that are done to a released product, whereas SC has none.

Yeah, i've used this approach with them before. If they want to claim its released then they can't hide behind the ITS ALPHA shield. Let the critics review it as a released game then.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Agony Aunt posted:

You mean ShapCap?

no no this guy

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

his nibs posted:

no no this guy

Yeah that's who I was talking about.
Literal human troll.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Let me remind you to call your parents instead of sending unsolicited pics of your legatus pack to women.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

MedicineHut posted:

I-Novae devs (recently launched Infinity Battlescape) discuss in their Discord about Star Citizen:

:laffo:

Shots fired!

Another brief mention here : https://youtu.be/JMA9d_oblkk?t=6128

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Rabbi T. White posted:

Yeah that's who I was talking about.
Literal human troll.

Hmm.. i don't think its a good thing to have a bash at people simply for their appearances.

I'm pretty sure if we had a rogues gallery of people in this thread, we could take the piss out of their appearances, but it wouldn't be nice.

Its fair enough to take the piss out of people of the things they say and do, but let's not have a go at people for how they look. (unless they dress up as bunny man!). I mean, really, its not that good we take the piss out of Ben for his size, although that depends on how much of it is self-induced and how much of it is a medical condition. Regardless of which it is, he clearly now has a serious medical condition and probably doesn't have long left to live.