Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I'm playing Chrono Trigger on a New 3DS XL and it is so insanely uncomfortable. My hands are cramped after a few minutes.

Buy a plastic grip. I had the same problem but it's so much more comfortable with one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Zas posted:

its a little hosed up how compelling dragon quest 1 manages to be. there's something about it that is definitely toying with your psychology

Might be how simplistic everything is and short and sweet it is to the point about a lot of things.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Araxxor posted:

Might be how simplistic everything is and short and sweet it is to the point about a lot of things.

Kind of a draw to DQ in general is how simple and straight forward it can be. Like 2019 is a time where every RPG needs to have deep morally gray desicions with life and death consequences and emotional commentary on the players role in it all, sometimes a guy just wants to slay a Dragon to save the Princess y’know?

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Zas posted:

its a little hosed up how compelling dragon quest 1 manages to be. there's something about it that is definitely toying with your psychology

It's really amazing how little has changed between it and 11. I guess that familiarity is the whole draw of the series though. It also looks about a million times better than it did in screenshots, I think the character sprites just look a little off but other than that it's not an FF6 botch job.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

SNES controller arrived today and playing Super Metroid with it is insanely good and now I’m wall jumping and space jumping like a madman it’s so loving good y’all

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Kind of a draw to DQ in general is how simple and straight forward it can be. Like 2019 is a time where every RPG needs to have deep morally gray desicions with life and death consequences and emotional commentary on the players role in it all, sometimes a guy just wants to slay a Dragon to save the Princess y’know?

Seriously. I hate attempts at 'story' in video games because even the best pale in comparison to your average book. Anyway back to Hearthstone

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Sloppy posted:

Seriously. I hate attempts at 'story' in video games because even the best pale in comparison to your average book. Anyway back to Hearthstone

This is something I touched on sometime last week, and maybe it's because I'm a ~writer~ (non-fiction though) but man writing just sucks big donkey balls in jrpgs full stop.

A lot of times when people are praising a character for being deep or his/her development in a jrpg they're often projecting all sorts of stuff that isn't even subtly hinted at. English lit people absolutely do it too, but it's extra hilarious when the subject being analyzed is Adol from ys or like, bowser jr.

I don't think the industry has elevated itself past lovely c tier movie quality, and that's when they try really really hard you guys.

Credit to from soft for making writing that doesn't undermine the narrative of the game, it might be patchy and obscure but I genuinely enjoy the writing in those games. It takes itself seriously too which is always welcome. Sekiro also showcased that yep they can still do some quality writing even within a simple non convoluted plot.

Then again from soft is mostly great at atmosphere and we might be talking about active storytelling, which they aren't really any better at than any other dev. Anyways I write blogs for bounce house companies and poo poo on the weekends so who am I to speak

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

If two people can please add me in Mario Kart Tour I'll get that entire card filled out

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

KingSlime posted:

Credit to from soft for making writing that doesn't undermine the narrative of the game, it might be patchy and obscure but I genuinely enjoy the writing in those games. It takes itself seriously too which is always welcome. Sekiro also showcased that yep they can still do some quality writing even within a simple non convoluted plot.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

If two people can please add me in Mario Kart Tour I'll get that entire card filled out

I don't play, but my wife does and she added you.

Her code is 992821883570

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Still a step up as far as the entire fantasy/action RPG genre has even been concerned! But I kind of agree with that post, the plots aren't intentially confusing, the presentation is just one where the world is drip-fed to you.

In cases where poo poo gets overly convoluted or confusing, dataminers found that it's almost always due to cut content and last min changes. DS3 and Bloodborne's biggest "plot mysteries" can be explained by the fact that large gobs of plot were ripped out or reworked at the last second.

Sekiro is an example of a more complete product, and imo the writing is more solid than in earlier from soft games (though bloodborne has a kickass atmosphere). But I'm still talking about a "step up" in quality, don't confuse this for me saying "this is Actually Good Writing."

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sloppy posted:

Games can do a ton of things with story that books just can't because of the interactivity. The aforementioned dark souls is a great example with its environmental storytelling.

Even basic stories told with cut scene can benefit from the format as just being in control of the characters often the gets the person very attached to them. Being able to drip feed little small character moments over the course of the gameplay also lets that stuff build really slowly without ruining the pacing.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Dragon Quest makes a perfect counterbalance to the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona franchise. Two of the greatest RPG franchises of all time, but totally opposite approaches to the genre.

We’re so lucky to live in a world where we can have DQ11 *and* Persona 5.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

KingSlime posted:

Still a step up as far as the entire fantasy/action RPG genre has even been concerned! But I kind of agree with that post, the plots aren't intentially confusing, the presentation is just one where the world is drip-fed to you.

In cases where poo poo gets overly convoluted or confusing, dataminers found that it's almost always due to cut content and last min changes. DS3 and Bloodborne's biggest "plot mysteries" can be explained by the fact that large gobs of plot were ripped out or reworked at the last second.

Sekiro is an example of a more complete product, and imo the writing is more solid than in earlier from soft games (though bloodborne has a kickass atmosphere). But I'm still talking about a "step up" in quality, don't confuse this for me saying "this is Actually Good Writing."

Dark souls and Bloodborne are both extremely well written.

I will die on this hill.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

thats good writing though

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
nah persona sucks rear end compared to smt

I will die on this hill.

Andrast posted:

Dark souls and Bloodborne are both extremely well written.

I will die on this hill.

I like the good writing that is there a lot, it just sucks that they didn't get to finish either DS3 or BB. But I agree, I think this is the closest a game has gotten to literature level of engaging (which makes sense given the actual literature influences in BB)

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 28, 2019

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The writing in Persona 5 was a loving mess.

a story about teenage rebellion told by conservative old men

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
also dark souls is clearly inspired by greek lit/myths, and so many classic lit pieces about killing gods n' monsters are fairly basic. So dark souls plot is by definition classic lit caliber, hell it even has a lot more expecation subvertin' than those classic

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

KingSlime posted:

nah persona sucks rear end compared to smt

I will die on this hill.

I like the good writing that is there a lot, it just sucks that they didn't get to finish either DS3 or BB. But I agree, I think this is the closest a game has gotten to literature level of engaging (which makes sense given the actual literature influences in BB)

I don't it's fair to call Bloodborne not finished. Cut content or changes don't mean something is not finished since like every game has that to some level.

I don't think more stuff being explained would necessarily make it any better. A little bit of mystery is a good thing.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Andrast posted:

Bloodborne is finished. Cut content or changes don't mean something is finished since like every game has that.

I mean sure but I get the sense that the writers didn't get a chance to fully round out the story they set out to tell. A lot of finished npcs, dialogue, animiations, and monsters were cut out, along with a mostly done second form for the moon presence! But in retrospect the dlc did clean up a lot.

DS3 is the real cobbled/broken product, I had such high hopes for a cool new chapter in the Gwyn saga :(

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

HZD had good writing

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Tatsuta Age posted:

HZD had good writing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUpPYvELLB8

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
"Only someone strong could carry his burden"

*twitches head*

Seriously what was going on with her head there

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

what's your point?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I don't know what I like best about Katamari, the music, or the feeling you get when your Katamari has gotten bigger and it puts a whole new perspective on the level.

What an incredibly unique game, why is the Prince not an assist trophy or something in Smash?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Tatsuta Age posted:

HZD had good writing

whoa there bud, this is Games, you're not supposed to like video game writing here

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
A lot of JRPGs have good writing like a lot of movies, people just pretend that movies are better because they have been around longer but all media has good and bad poo poo.

It’s elitism but in a weird way like a Star Trek fan pretending they are better than a Star Wars fan

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I'll bite: what jrpgs should I play if I'm looking for something with a good plot/good writing?

I love jrpgs. I feel like me being disappointed in their writing isn't me trying to put them down for the sake of putting down a "newer" form of storytelling. I just want them to be better because I like jrpgs and I like reading.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

KingSlime posted:

I'll bite: what jrpgs should I play if I'm looking for something with a good plot/good writing?

I love jrpgs. I feel like me being disappointed in their writing isn't me trying to put them down for the sake of putting down a "newer" form of storytelling. I just want them to be better because I like jrpgs and I like reading.

Shadow hearts 1 and 2 are pretty cool

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

also dark souls

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I don't know what I like best about Katamari, the music, or the feeling you get when your Katamari has gotten bigger and it puts a whole new perspective on the level.

What an incredibly unique game, why is the Prince not an assist trophy or something in Smash?

Katamari is one of those games that is really really good and doesn’t get enough love. I’ll buy it on any console it comes out on

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Tales of Berseria is a great revenge story about a very angry lady

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

KingSlime posted:

Lost Odyssey.

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

loudog999 posted:

I'm pretty mad at myself for missing out on the SNES controller. Right now I'm controlling my impulse to pay an inflated price on eBay for one, but if they don't restock soon my will is weak.

I'm in the same boat, I was watching for when I would be able to buy them like a hawk and then I let my guard down for one second and they are sold out. Really hoping they make more. Did they sell out of NES controllers? If so how long did it take to restock?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Andrast posted:

also dark souls

don't think i didn't notice this

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Your Computer posted:

don't think i didn't notice this

don't @ me

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I got HONK, the SNES update, Pandemic, the DOOM trilogy, Zelda LA, Okami, Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy, and Jedi Outcast.

Someone please help, I don't know what to do with this many choices.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

KingSlime posted:

This is something I touched on sometime last week, and maybe it's because I'm a ~writer~ (non-fiction though) but man writing just sucks big donkey balls in jrpgs full stop.

A lot of times when people are praising a character for being deep or his/her development in a jrpg they're often projecting all sorts of stuff that isn't even subtly hinted at. English lit people absolutely do it too, but it's extra hilarious when the subject being analyzed is Adol from ys or like, bowser jr.

I don't think the industry has elevated itself past lovely c tier movie quality, and that's when they try really really hard you guys.

Then again from soft is mostly great at atmosphere and we might be talking about active storytelling, which they aren't really any better at than any other dev. Anyways I write blogs for bounce house companies and poo poo on the weekends so who am I to speak

NIER automata is better writing than whatever game you think has better writing

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

A HORNY SWEARENGEN posted:

I got HONK, the SNES update, Pandemic, the DOOM trilogy, Zelda LA, Okami, Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy, and Jedi Outcast.

Someone please help, I don't know what to do with this many choices.

play links awakening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

KingSlime posted:

Fire Emblem: Three Houses.

There’s a lot of reading! Some of the plot stuff doesn’t stick the landing, but I think the characters and dialogue are great.

The game genuinely discusses class issues, which was a pleasant surprise.