Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

All they did was scrape around every single corner, like 2 degree of lean and they were on the ground. I should put them back on but facing upward lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Soo...

I got the wrong color fairings for my bike, because I am bad at reading and also they are poorly marked.

Returning them would be kind of a pain in the rear end...

This looks dumb, right?
It would be so much less of a hassle to just go two tone...

(sorry about the horrible image quality)

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I actually kinda like that.

Have a place spray 'em a deep Navy Blue and it'd be extra-rad.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

I guess you’re just going to have to paint/wrap all your plastics to match.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

It matches that black plastic trim piece coming down off of the gas tank.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
gives it a fairly decent cyberpunk hellworld road warrior vibe. I say roll with it.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

I say lean in and swap out more!

Put a KTM pillion on there. Purple rims. Make it happen.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I want to put on a fairing of every colour on my bike so that no matter what I put for “vehicle colour” on my registration it’ll still technically be correct.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Martytoof posted:

I want to put on a fairing of every colour on my bike so that no matter what I put for “vehicle colour” on my registration it’ll still technically be correct.

ask Coydog for tips on how to harlequin wrap a bike

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jazzzzz posted:

ask Coydog for tips on how to harlequin wrap a bike

It's a bit of a pain to work with, but vinyl wrap is a cheap way to get cool results. (I'm still incredibly proud of hand stenciling the "KTM" on the side)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That sure is a thing :stare:

Do you guys have a go-to app for recording your rides? I am trying out EatSleepRIDE but I can’t seem to keep the app from sleeping and my display going blank. I’d also like to use it as a turn by turn gps but I don’t think it’s that capable. I can drag a gpx file onto the web interface and upload a route but I don’t think that’s useful for turn by turn.

Essentially I’d like one app that both does turn by turn AND can record a route if I choose. If only Waze supported recording I’d be golden.

60 Hertz Jig
May 21, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Do you guys have a go-to app for recording your rides? I am trying out EatSleepRIDE but I can’t seem to keep the app from sleeping and my display going blank. I’d also like to use it as a turn by turn gps but I don’t think it’s that capable. I can drag a gpx file onto the web interface and upload a route but I don’t think that’s useful for turn by turn.

Essentially I’d like one app that both does turn by turn AND can record a route if I choose. If only Waze supported recording I’d be golden.

I use Geo Tracker to record in the background, and Google Maps on screen. It's straightforward and not motorcycle specific, but I use it for hiking too. Nice to have all my GPX tracks in one app. After recording, you can set the map to show elevation or speed gradients.

Need to turn off battery optimization in settings to make sure it keeps recording, but I have to do this with a lot of GPS apps.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Anyone ever run one of the BDR routes, particularly the Mid-Atlantic BDR?

https://ridebdr.com/

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 22, 2019

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jazzzzz posted:

Clutchpuck did the WABDR recently.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

I'm going to Japan in November and was looking at renting a bike to putt around at Mt. Fuji. Any ideas on what bike I should rent?

https://www.rental819.com/english/area/shopbikelist.php?tenpoid=00121&area=2

https://www.rental819.com/english/area/shopbikelist.php?tenpoid=05601&area=2

https://www.rental819.com/english/area/shopbikelist.php?tenpoid=00117&area=2

I've been riding for 7 years and my bike history has been sv650 -> dl650 / xr600r. I'm gonna be following a buddy around who's gonna be renting an underpowered kei car, so I'm thinking maybe an mt-03? Something in the 400cc range that I can't get in the US. Please free me from individual thought, goons.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

MT03 would probably be the best value, the Svartpilen would be a ton of fun though.

Or the Vstrom250, for what has to be one of the most unpleasant motorcycle experiences possible, is that a full-size V-Strom frame? How slow would that motherfucker be?

mewse
May 2, 2006

CB400 super four

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

yergacheffe posted:

I'm going to Japan in November and was looking at renting a bike to putt around at Mt. Fuji. Any ideas on what bike I should rent?

I've been riding for 7 years and my bike history has been sv650 -> dl650 / xr600r. I'm gonna be following a buddy around who's gonna be renting an underpowered kei car, so I'm thinking maybe an mt-03? Something in the 400cc range that I can't get in the US. Please free me from individual thought, goons.

Pretty sure you guys don't get the cb400.

400cc VTEC engine, so you can bum around under 7k rpm and then rev the nuts off it when you want to for some extra boost without landing yourself in jail. Handles very nicely and sounds ok considering Japanese noise sensibility. Comfortable seat (imo) should mean you can go for ages. Literally no engine vibration (from memory) can be felt under 7k rpm, and not much after, so it won't tire you out to ride it. It's eerily smooth. More recent models have abs. I personally think it's a fantastically well made bike, even by Honda standards. Imo it does what Honda of old used to do: put all the fruit and clever poo poo into their small displacement bikes. They cost quite a lot compared to other bikes of similar displacement, but that's because of a lot of the budget steps those learner bikes have taken.

I may have a blind spot when it comes to this bike, so keep that in mind.

E;FB

At least I'm not totally nuts on this bike

mewse posted:

CB400 super four

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 24, 2019

AuxiliaryPatroller
Jul 23, 2007

Jazzzzz posted:

I did the MABDR in 2018- it was great! Any questions?

mewse
May 2, 2006

mewse posted:

CB400 super four

Or (after looking at the lists you linked) the new katana

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

mewse posted:

Or (after looking at the lists you linked) the new katana

Time to get that, go on this road and die immediately:

I think I'll try the CB400SF, doesn't look like there's similar in the US (didn't realize the R3 was here now, which is close enough to the MT-03). Katanas are available in the US and I probably won't be able to use the power without killing myself. Thanks for the input guys!

mewse
May 2, 2006

yergacheffe posted:

I think I'll try the CB400SF, doesn't look like there's similar in the US (didn't realize the R3 was here now, which is close enough to the MT-03). Katanas are available in the US and I probably won't be able to use the power without killing myself. Thanks for the input guys!

Report back on that bike, it's disgraceful they don't make it for NA

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

yergacheffe posted:

Please make a trip report when youre done
Im planning a fly to ride tour in Japan for next spring and would appreciate tips. I was thinking of renting from Japan Bike Rentals in Akasaka, so let me know how rental819 worked out for you. Have you read Warren's/motorcycle paradise's guide to motorcycling in Japan? Any thoughts?

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I'm thinking about selling my 701 and buying an Energica Ego.

Edit: Blah, the nearest Energica dealer is 6.5 hours away, guess I’ll wait.

Nfcknblvbl fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 26, 2019

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

mewse posted:

Report back on that bike, it's disgraceful they don't make it for NA

Will do!

Patrocclesiastes posted:

Please make a trip report when youre done
Im planning a fly to ride tour in Japan for next spring and would appreciate tips. I was thinking of renting from Japan Bike Rentals in Akasaka, so let me know how rental819 worked out for you. Have you read Warren's/motorcycle paradise's guide to motorcycling in Japan? Any thoughts?

Hah, I'm jealous that you're doing a tour. I'll only be able to do it for a day in between downtime. Japan Bike Rentals doesn't have as big a selection of bikes or locations, but they look pretty well geared towards foreigners. Their website looks like it has a lot of useful information especially for touring! I haven't read that motorcycle paradise website, but I'll be browsing through it now.

If it's your first time going to Japan, it's one of the easiest countries to survive as a tourist. Make sure you get a SIM card for your phone and let Google-san guide you through the public transit to get to the bike shop and on the road.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Swapping enfields in a CVS parking lot in a notoriously poverty-and-drug-riddled small town in WNY on Monday. This actually feels like the correct setting to obtain an Enfield.

Apparently the new one they are giving me has ABS. I am not confident I really want that on a bike I ride on dirt this much, but it looks like it marginally helps the resale value, and YT reviewers who are pushing these things through terrain a hell of a lot shittier than what I ride on seem okay with it.

It also seems possible that enfield "ABS" is "Brakes fall off", since something can't lock up if it's not attached to the bike.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Sep 26, 2019

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Enfield ABS stands for "A Braking System"

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Finger Prince posted:

Enfield ABS stands for "A Braking System"

maybe an improvement over the two entirely separate and different systems in my old C5. Though, the good thing was that generally at least one of them was operational.

GeneticWeapon
May 13, 2007

Tim Raines IRL posted:

Apparently the new one they are giving me has ABS. I am not confident I really want that on a bike I ride on dirt this much

There is probably a fuse you can pull if later on you discover that you don't like ABS. Fuse pulling on some bikes can throw an annoying CEL though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The check engine light on an enfield is the headlight

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The check engine light on an enfield is the headlight

Zero confidence in that diagnosing whether the engine is running or not. So, pretty accurate then.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
moar enfield jokes pls

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

they go 300 hectares on single tank of kerosene

mewse
May 2, 2006

The bike mechanic goes to heaven. As he’s being shown around he notices a bunch of clocks sitting around so he asks about them. St Peter tells him every time a bike dies, the clock will tick a minute forward.

“There’s Honda, and that one’s Kawasaki” says St. Peter.

“I see all the big manufacturers, but where’s Enfield” says the mechanic

“Oh, we use that one as a ceiling fan”

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Love to find a mysterious pool of yellow fluid on my garage floor, in a place that gives no clue what it might have leaked out of. It didn't smell like gas so I guess it must be brake fluid? But like I said it wasn't near anything, it was a foot to the left of my ninjette and I didn't see any wet spots closer to it to suggest it dripped under the bike and then ran across the floor to the pool.

Either that or a cat pissed in my garage.

...gently caress it was totally cat piss. :cripes:

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 27, 2019

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Renaissance Robot posted:

Love to find a mysterious pool of yellow fluid on my garage floor, in a place that gives no clue what it might have leaked out of. It didn't smell like gas so I guess it must be brake fluid? But like I said it wasn't near anything, it was a foot to the left of my ninjette and I didn't see any wet spots closer to it to suggest it dripped under the bike and then ran across the floor to the pool.

Frame this post.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Renaissance Robot posted:

:piss:

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
I picked up my new bike a couple weeks ago, the same day I was cleared to stop using crutches. Riding it home was kind of precarious, since I had to kind of lean it to the right every time I stopped so I'd be putting weight on my good leg. The muscle in my leg has returned considerably since then, and while I'm still in an air cast, I can at least put my foot down when I need to and walk without a cane.

The problem though was that without being able to bend my ankle, I couldn't bring my kick stand up. So I tied a shoelace around the front of the air cast, and I use that to hook onto the part of the kick stand that juts out.

I don't know what that is on my garage floor that looks like blood. Might be blood.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Just be extra careful that that shoelace doesn't hook onto anything else! Or you might be in for two titanium rods.

Maybe you should stuff it into the cast when riding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Slide Hammer posted:

Just be extra careful that that shoelace doesn't hook onto anything else! Or you might be in for two titanium rods.

Maybe you should stuff it into the cast when riding.

Yeah I thought that too. Before the first ride I tried to hook it onto anything else or get it into anything and it’s too short to get in the way.