Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Frijolero posted:

If I was SDF I would simply not ally with the people who created ISIS in the first place.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Goon Danton posted:

Is there any hope of the Kurds being able to cut a deal with Assad?

lmao

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKfYQU5NNCk

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgWAQ3Gv2jc

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

lol at the unarmed u2 spy plane in the thumbnail

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/narrabyee/status/1177950290852618240?s=20

Lmfao three whole brigades

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

someone post that virgin saud chad houthi meme

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

3 brigades... isn't that just a division

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Stairmaster posted:

the combat arm of one anyway, unless they grabbed the support units behind the lines as well

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
lmao, that owns

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Stairmaster posted:

from wikipedia

quote:

The combat strength of the Saudi Army consists of 4 Armoured, 5 Mechanized, 2 Light Infantry (1 Royal Guards, 1 Special Forces) Brigades.

if the houthis have successfully captured 3 brigades they have destroyed a very large portion of the saudi military based on my five seconds of research

edit: though there could be a lot of the Saudi National Guard and other paramilitaries and mercenaries included in that i guess. idk im not brown moses

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

lmao the saudis suck so much i really hope the houthis march to riyadh

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
How does this happen. Three brigades, that's like the whole military of a mid sized European country.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

from wikipedia

if the houthis have successfully captured 3 brigades they have destroyed a very large portion of the saudi military based on my five seconds of research

edit: though there could be a lot of the Saudi National Guard and other paramilitaries and mercenaries included in that i guess. idk im not brown moses

The national guard and militia have 27 divisions yeah. A real loving big chunk still to lose in a single operation.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
maybe they just straight up lost them. Like there is a general out there looking for them right now

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

lmao how the gently caress is Saudi arabia even a country

dethrone the house of Saud and give the whole country to the houthis

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

lmao

https://twitter.com/bbcme/status/1178037801763213312

quote:

All those captured would be paraded on the Houthi-run Al Masirah TV network on Sunday, he added.

:f5:

cool dance moves
Aug 27, 2018

Turns out I still had this gem in my browser history. This latest news makes it extra lmao

quote:

The smartest thing for the Houthis to do right now is show up at a table with a willingness to accept a proportional political role and a request for a hefty gift of sustained infrastructure and services upgrades to their homeland.   

The smartest thing for the Saudis to do is repair Abqaiq and show the world how little the Houthis can impact them or their role in stabilizing world energy markets.  

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
So just to reiterate, the Houthis are an insurgent group that has spent years under a blockade meant to destroy their country, and they're on the offensive?

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

cool dance moves posted:

Turns out I still had this gem in my browser history. This latest news makes it extra lmao

lmao I didn’t realize Grover writes for the Atlantic

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

unwantedplatypus posted:

So just to reiterate, the Houthis are an insurgent group that has spent years under a blockade meant to destroy their country, and they're on the offensive?

tbf like the vietcong they have large suppliers behind them, but yes

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

this kind of thing is bound to happen when your entire officer corps is made of the rich failsons of your ruling class

see also the us military

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lord of Pie posted:

this kind of thing is bound to happen when your entire officer corps is made of the rich failsons of your ruling class

It's really saying something when you have the most advanced warfighting gear available for purchase from the U.S., so literally the second-best stuff in the world, and you manage to lose to peasant militias.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

unwantedplatypus posted:

Reminder that the Houthis are continuing the legacy of people who have literally never been conquered. They absolutely wrecked the Egyptian army when they tried to make North Yemen part of the United Arab Republic, and they never came under the influence of the Saudis when they were trying to expand in the peninsula. It's like a mini-Afghanistan, a place where empires go to die.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

from wikipedia

. idk im not brown moses

seems like you've got the same qualifications

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
one of the biggest military debacles in decades if true

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU6bDNOIlmw

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
yeah someone should tell the kings of riyadh that their poo poo is whack and all hosed up, and their remainders are being deducted without a calculator

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVYC9Pd2o_g

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Chewing khat with the boys, might gently caress around and topple a US proxy

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
so let's see, the houthis have crippled 5% of the world's oil production and captured a chunk of the saudi military. if it wasn't happening while millions of people were starving from a blockade I'd love to see what they had planned next

Dreylad has issued a correction as of 23:02 on Sep 28, 2019

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

cool dance moves posted:

lmao how the gently caress is Saudi arabia even a country

dethrone the house of Saud and give the whole country to the houthis

at one point the saudis were pretty badass bedouins who conquered all the other bedouins on the arabian peninsula. and then they got really rich for a century and became the ultimate failsons.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
do the houthis have sand worms on their side and is the name of their leader a killing word

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Man at this point if the Shammar tribe actually wants to reclaim Jabal Shammar from the Saudis like they officially say they want to they'd probably have a good chance at success if they made a go of it.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012

Okay, between this and that Assad song I'm forced to conclude that Middle eastern paramilitaries kind of slap, regardless of their views on other things

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

make no mistake if the houthis had the manpower to flat out invade saudi it would take roughly a day to conquer

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Houthis dropping the hottest beat of 2019.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

I'm seeing some reports that the Houthis also claimed liberating "hundreds of kilometers" on the Najran axis. Not sure if that means they've invaded Najran proper or if they've just taken lots of territory along the border.

the "we can deduct your remainders without calculators" line is so good