Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

EvilJoven posted:

Per passenger mile how do they compare to one person in a car?

Quite well, or very poorly, depending on your perspective.

It was a joke, Joven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I know but it piqued my curiosity regarding just how much more efficient trains would be vs cars.

While some corridors have beem torn up and would need to be rebuilt there's still a lot of rail out there that could be used for passengers and I often wonder how quickly we could spin up widespread commuter rail. Even just adding pax carrying stock on existing lines and increasing the penalties CP/CN have to pay when holding up passenger trains so that they're no longer just another line item expense and something theyd actively try to avoid might trigger a massive boost.

I think it'd be p sweet to be able to jump on a train with a backpack full of camping gear and head north for a weekend like people apparently used to do.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Oh, trains are very efficient.

The problem is they're also quite costly to run, and CN owns all the lines outside of a very tiny part of the Golden Horseshoe. They have priority on their own lines and they have no interest in anything else.

We could have been subsiding and expanding commuter rail infrastructure for the last 40 years, building dedicated right of ways, and high-speed lines, but instead we decided it was a money loser and cars worked well enough, so why waste money? We tore up the lines to the bedroom communities in southern Ontario and now they're all collapsing while traffic chokes the major routes into the GTA.

Killing the Northland rail line was dumb as poo poo too, but welp. Libs gonna Lib.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Arcsquad12 posted:

I know it's :thejoke: but I don't see how widening highways will increase traffic flow. Our roads are already overflowing in urban areas like Toronto and making wider roads won't make it faster it will just make a wider gridlock with more cars. You don't reduce emissions by making wider roads, you reduce it by reducing the number of people driving.

It only really makes sense as a carbon reduction method if you presuppose that everyone is going to be driving their single occupant vehicle everywhere all the time and also won't choose where to go based on traffic.

Hey look at this: replace the 401 with like 4 passenger rail lines and a 4 lane highway. You don't even need a wider right of way. Then, when people get to the city, they've got to use a bus instead of their car to get around. Now you've got less congestion and less emissions because a car that would have be driven wasn't.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I got to chatting to an Ontarian family visiting to settle their son into Vancouver for his internship and we got to talking about driving. They lived out in Kitchener somewhere and the twins both went to Queens. I was asked how much I drive on average and I told them once a week. It blew their minds. They told me their average time on the road was like 3 hours a day. I told them I don't go anywhere that takes longer than 20 minutes to get to.

On the other hand I can't afford to live here so I guess I lose.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Living in the middle of nowhere northern Ontario where anything outside my small town was a 30-45 minute drive and then moving to the GTA which was a quagmire 20 years ago and just kept getting worse makes me think anywhere else is just spoiled. I laufh when people bitch about having to drive across the city to attend something its like bitch please its a 20 minute drive.

Except during rush hour where the streets are gridlocked and now people are crying for inner city freeways and I keep telling them to go spend a month driving the DVP or 403/QEW junction and then come back and tell me if they still think freeways are the answer.

The real answer is to take the bus but our horrifically underfunded transit is apparently about to implode.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I always say this but along with public transit more people need to be telecommuting. A lot of jobs can be done from home or from a coworking space closer to home. We don't all need to get together at an office in Toronto just to sit on our computers all day and communicate with email and IM.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

prom candy posted:

I always say this but along with public transit more people need to be telecommuting. A lot of jobs can be done from home or from a coworking space closer to home. We don't all need to get together at an office in Toronto just to sit on our computers all day and communicate with email and IM.

But as a small business owner, how will I know my employees are working and not spending their days watching Jordan Peterson on the youtubes!? That's my hard-earned middle class business owner privilege.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I live in Kitchener and it takes me 15 minutes to drive to work, 20 on a bad day. I also live out away from the centre of town. I miss living in a big city but I like the low stress day to day life. Occasionally I drive to Toronto and curse the 401 but that's really just self inflicted masochism.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

prom candy posted:

Yep but managers want to see Asses In Seats to rule over their little fiefdom.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
I wonder how many white collar jobs would be eliminated if most people who did the majority of their job by email and phone did it from home. IT support, office managers, mail room folks etc etc etc. It'd probably lead to a cascade of unemployment among the cubicle dwellers.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

EvilJoven posted:

I wonder how many white collar jobs would be eliminated if most people who did the majority of their job by email and phone did it from home. IT support, office managers, mail room folks etc etc etc. It'd probably lead to a cascade of unemployment among the cubicle dwellers.

Telecommuting is a lonely, depressing lot, in my experience. Shared working spaced might make it less-so, I guess, but I traded telecommuting for an hour of commute per day and I take it gladly.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I work full time remote and I love it. Just gotta have hobbies that get you out of the house and interacting with people.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Square Peg posted:

Telecommuting is a lonely, depressing lot, in my experience. Shared working spaced might make it less-so, I guess, but I traded telecommuting for an hour of commute per day and I take it gladly.

From being away on an injury, I agree. I'd like something such as 3 days office, 2 days telework.

Being around people and going out for lunch is a thing.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
Ended up marching in the climate strike in Vancouver today. Didn't even plan too, just was curious to see what it looked like and how big the crowds were.

It was like 70% kids. And they are loving pissed.

Gives me a bit of hope in this incredibly depressing election season.

Not for this election, most of them can't vote, but there is clearly a growing awareness that their future is being stolen from them so decrepit ghouls can sit atop their ever growing money hordes. With good AC in the vaults, of course.

The Butcher fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Sep 28, 2019

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The Butcher posted:

e: Missed the edit.

Well, here's hoping.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Kids is anyone under 30 you old

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Kids is anyone under 30 you old

Remember, we too were once "the future"

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

The Butcher posted:

Ended up marching in the climate strike in Vancouver today. Didn't even plan too, just was curious to see what it looked like and how big the crowds were.

Not for this election, most of them can't vote, but there is clearly a growing awareness that their future is being stolen from them so decrepit ghouls can sit atop their ever growing money hordes. With good AC in the vaults, of course.

Yeah, I'm not worried at all about the direction of kids these days, just the world they will inherit. The kids are alright. There's hope for the future.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

infernal machines posted:

Remember, we too were once "the future"

*Puts on drug rug and pops Pearl jam 10 into the realistic cd player*

Yeah we were going to save the world with all those body shop t shirts and recycling.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Square Peg posted:

Probably depends on what you're doing and if you have coworkers you like. My team was split between three offices across the country, and we had an ongoing videoconference everyone joined during work hours which helped with the social isolation thing.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

half cocaine posted:

*Puts on drug rug and pops Pearl jam 10 into the realistic cd player*

Yeah we were going to save the world with all those body shop t shirts and recycling.

It turns out saving the whales was far more complicated than anyone imagined.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Square Peg posted:

Not my experience, but then I'm an extreme introvert. Productivity was way up as my office mates could be extremely chatty at times and there's lots of distractions in shared office space. I'm careful though to interact daily with my neighbours - a dog and neighbourhood dog walks at the same time of day help a lot.

Found myself getting a bit twitchy at the climate strike this afternoon. There was probably less than 500 at the one I attended, but still, it felt a bit overwhelming. Have to prepare myself better mentally for the next one.

Surprisingly high ratio of grey-haired hippies to young people but that might be the proximity to Gabriola Island (and the goofy time - 4:00 pm). The weather was clear and sunny with a stiff northeast wind that swung around to a northwester and dumped a ton of rain on us instead of the clear cold normally associated with northerlies. Local legend has the rain as the tears of the witch riding the southeast wind so I'm not sure wtf was going on with that system. Seemed very apropos for a climate change protest.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The jag was here at the protest, estimated about 2,000 people.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

less than three posted:

From being away on an injury, I agree. I'd like something such as 3 days office, 2 days telework.

Being around people and going out for lunch is a thing.

I think even this would do a lot to ease road congestion. If people did various amounts of remote work it means you don't have 100% of the commuters on 100% of the days.

But yeah a lot of small minded managers don't have object permanence so it's not likely to happen.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

infernal machines posted:

It turns out saving the whales was far more complicated than anyone imagined.

freedom for william

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

PT6A posted:

No, but I would accept a biography or policy statement of some sort.

I mean, I voted for Kent Hehr last time around, and Nenshi during the mayoral election. At the risk of re-litigating this stupid argument, do you honestly believe I'm biased against fat politicians? P.S. Sarah Hoffman would actually be a great candidate for this riding, if she could be convinced to run federally. She'd have my vote for sure at this point.

My comment was honestly meant to be read in a silly light hearted tone rather than as an attack, but in retrospect I can see why it wasn't interpreted that way.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Helsing posted:

My comment was honestly meant to be read in a silly light hearted tone rather than as an attack, but in retrospect I can see why it wasn't interpreted that way.

Fair enough, I'm not that bothered by it in any event, my response probably also came off a bit harsher than I intended.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

less than three posted:

Yep but managers want to see Asses In Seats to rule over their little fiefdom.

I actually think my current boss (or at least the highest-ranking person I see on a regular basis) mostly understands that the rank-and-file workers are in the best position to understand what's actually required to do their own jobs, but this particular thing is a blind spot. (The boss has actually asked, in some cases, why our entire team is away from our desks during the business day—it was because our jobs required us to be somewhere else.) That, combined with the trend of packing people into open-concept offices like sardines while not providing them with sufficient workspaces with doors that close, means it's actually rather difficult to do my job at my desk, because I keep getting interrupted. I got the opportunity to work remotely for a few days, and holy poo poo, the difference between constant interruptions and no interruptions is mind-blowing. I shouldn't have to be 1000+ km away to get that.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

tagesschau posted:

I actually think my current boss (or at least the highest-ranking person I see on a regular basis) mostly understands that the rank-and-file workers are in the best position to understand what's actually required to do their own jobs, but this particular thing is a blind spot. (The boss has actually asked, in some cases, why our entire team is away from our desks during the business day—it was because our jobs required us to be somewhere else.) That, combined with the trend of packing people into open-concept offices like sardines while not providing them with sufficient workspaces with doors that close, means it's actually rather difficult to do my job at my desk, because I keep getting interrupted. I got the opportunity to work remotely for a few days, and holy poo poo, the difference between constant interruptions and no interruptions is mind-blowing. I shouldn't have to be 1000+ km away to get that.

Actually this leads to a point, would it be more environmentally helpful to have people work remotely than have to commute to office? Even if it was half a week? Would that reduce emissions significantly and save on energy consumption, etc?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
So apparently the Port Alberni lunatics were going to hike to Hudson Bay and steal a boat and go to Africa.

Is it possible that they were mental 8-year-olds? Because I can’t see even a teenager thinking that could work on any level. That suggests severe cognitive impairment.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
It might have worked. Depends on the boat they steal!

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
I'd laugh at the idea of some white supremacists deciding to go to Africa, but I'm sure they saw themselves as neo-colonialists.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Gatts posted:

Actually this leads to a point, would it be more environmentally helpful to have people work remotely than have to commute to office? Even if it was half a week? Would that reduce emissions significantly and save on energy consumption, etc?

Over in California, where telecommuting is relatively common, there is noticeably more traffic on the roads and in Caltrain on Mondays--presumably because it's the default "get in the office for face time meetings" day. I wouldn't be surprised if the same could be generalised if more places allowed remote work.

I wouldn't hate commuting as much if it didn't mean going to a dumb open floor plan office with so many distractions.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Honestly I think we should encourage all neo Nazi fugitives to hike across northern Canada to attempt theft of a boat to sail to Africa. I can't think of a more optimal resolution.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Quite a bit to unpack here

https://twitter.com/gmbutts/status/1178033479168270336

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Christ I’m sick of the Liberals. I never thought it would happen, but I’m voting NDP federally.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Is Katie Telford the brains of this operation then?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Nobody’s perfect
                          /

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

PT6A posted:

So apparently the Port Alberni lunatics were going to hike to Hudson Bay and steal a boat and go to Africa.

Is it possible that they were mental 8-year-olds? Because I can’t see even a teenager thinking that could work on any level. That suggests severe cognitive impairment.

When people start seeing themselves as the heroes of their own Action film/Hero's journey all kinds of things start to make sense.