Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
One thing I really like about IR is how it's balanced so it doesn't use sheer quantity of resources as an obstacle for higher tech as much... I'm getting into red belts now, and I was surprised at how cheap they were. In vanilla you've gotta set up a whole iron production chain just to feed that, and then you've gotta do like 3 times that for blue belts. Same with science, everything's locked behind more logistical challenges or the newest ore processing thing or whatever, but I haven't felt like "oh god I'm gonna need like 3 new mines to run all this stuff" or like I'm constantly running out, the way I often do in vanilla, so I've spent way more time factory building instead of the more tedious parts of building huge resource throughput

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Magus42 posted:

Didn't quite realize just how much slower IR is until I played a few hours last night.

The graphics of everything are gorgeous though. I love the assemblers. Haven't quite figured out yet what to automate other than some basic materials so I spend less time hand-crafting plates and bars.

I build little ad-hoc groups of machines to build things while my hand crafting is going on. I also leave it crafting a big queue whenever I can (hence the screensaver comment). Making a mall base for this stuff is going to be a must later but it'll need to be separate purely due to space concerns. Automate pipes and belts early though and save time. I keep meaning to do inserters too but that's a bigger chain. Also start making landfill ASAP, it's super slow unless you throw a bunch of machines at it.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

super fart shooter posted:

One thing I really like about IR is how it's balanced so it doesn't use sheer quantity of resources as an obstacle for higher tech as much... I'm getting into red belts now, and I was surprised at how cheap they were. In vanilla you've gotta set up a whole iron production chain just to feed that, and then you've gotta do like 3 times that for blue belts. Same with science, everything's locked behind more logistical challenges or the newest ore processing thing or whatever, but I haven't felt like "oh god I'm gonna need like 3 new mines to run all this stuff" or like I'm constantly running out, the way I often do in vanilla, so I've spent way more time factory building instead of the more tedious parts of building huge resource throughput

This sold me on playing IR despite my misgivings re the extended burner period.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Breetai posted:

This sold me on playing IR despite my misgivings re the extended burner period.

The burner phase is just long enough to be interesting. You don't need a lot of production early on, so splitting belts 50/50 with coal everywhere is fine. You can also just handfeed your inserters/assemblers because the coal lasts quite a long time. Another nice thing is that the components are the exact same for all the ore types. You make plates and rods, which go into stuff like gear wheels or cable, these are the same for copper, tin, iron, gold, etc. Once you've made one of these setups you can just copy it for the next ingot.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

super fart shooter posted:

I was thinking about this yesterday. To me the enjoyable parts of the game are in order:

1) Automating stuff
2) Resource extraction
3) Biter hunting

I find only a small portion of my game is actually spent on automation. Lately I've been seizing territory from biters (which requires frequent trips back home to collect more bullets and walls), getting more iron and copper, and trying to keep my solar/accumulator setup ahead of my power use. I'll soon devote a session to getting a modern mall with red belts up and running, and to automate bot construction, and to try and get my yellow science up to par. This stuff is the meat of the game, the rest kinda feels like chores.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Are there any mods yet that make enemies actually be interesting outside of a minor nuisance?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I've started an IR/Krastorio game and I'm very early in but I'm definitely finding it fun, tearing around in this ridiculous wee monowheel thing is great

But woo boy is that starting pistol a bag of shite gat dang

anchorite
Sep 22, 2009
I too have just started an IR/Krastorio game. What's your approach to busses? Are you bussing plates and rods? Or ingots?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Nalesh posted:

Are there any mods yet that make enemies actually be interesting outside of a minor nuisance?

Rampant or Bob's Enemies are the ones I see mentioned the most often.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-

anchorite posted:

I too have just started an IR/Krastorio game. What's your approach to busses? Are you bussing plates and rods? Or ingots?

Some things still use ingots, so you'd have to bus all three. Plus I think rods are are 2:1 with ingots... I just stick to ingots, which means I probably have a lot of redundant assemblers down the line, but whatever. I guess if you were really good at planning ahead you could put items with similar ingredients around another sub-bus. I also couldn't get any sense of how many rods or plates and stuff I would want to bus anyway, so it's easier to go all ingot and worry about it later

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I got too sick of waiting for inserters to craft, borrowed some from elsewhere and cobbled something together to make them

The motors and circuits can split off to share but first I need enough parts to actually make things. Once I get a mall base built I can clean up all these horrible growths.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Does anybody have a link to the graphical tutorial on Factorio/OpenTTD signalling? It was drawn and mostly black-and-white and had happy trains :buddy:

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

GotLag posted:

Does anybody have a link to the graphical tutorial on Factorio/OpenTTD signalling? It was drawn and mostly black-and-white and had happy trains :buddy:

The second post here

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Thanks

a starchy tuber
Sep 9, 2002

hi yes I'm very normal

Freaksaus posted:

The burner phase is just long enough to be interesting. You don't need a lot of production early on, so splitting belts 50/50 with coal everywhere is fine. You can also just handfeed your inserters/assemblers because the coal lasts quite a long time. Another nice thing is that the components are the exact same for all the ore types. You make plates and rods, which go into stuff like gear wheels or cable, these are the same for copper, tin, iron, gold, etc. Once you've made one of these setups you can just copy it for the next ingot.

Handfeed? Nah

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?
I had fun figuring out how to automate burner-everything in IR, but then I lost interest when I got into the iron age and my standard solution for vanilla production of everything seemed to work perfectly there as well. Maybe things get more interesting with oil and beyond, though.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Is there some mechanic in the mod that makes having a single tile separating each belt make sense? Or are you just a monster? :stare:

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I' m guessing to make room for expanding the bus later on

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Nth Doctor posted:

Is there some mechanic in the mod that makes having a single tile separating each belt make sense? Or are you just a monster? :stare:

You want some separation because it makes peeling off with a splitter easier.

You (might) want less separation because it makes running around faster. (I usually go with three or four spaces.)

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?
It makes splitting off a little simpler, it lets you put down lamps in the middle with less work if you ever want to do that, it looks nicer in the map view, and I'm a monster. I did it without the spaces at first, and that does feel more pleasing.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Just fuckin' lol if any of your initial bus layouts don't include two-belt pushes with two spaces between them to they can be upgraded to four belts as needed, and three empty spaces between each push to allow not just room for linked undergrounds to cross the bus but that third tile for running liquids or single-belt pushes for odd ingredients (red chips backwards to inserter/splitter assemblies, raw stone for rails, coal for plastics and explosives, etc).

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Just fuckin' lol if your layouts have any sort of recognizable structure.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
That's a thing of beauty.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Those pumps and pipes. :stare:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
lmao if your busses don't look like this

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Dr. Stab posted:

Good lord

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Arrath posted:

Those pumps and pipes. :stare:
The whole extent of the base is this:

And this is the core. Everything purple is a consumer of water, everything green outputs water.

So i just said gently caress it and have a gigantic base-wide water pipe system and if it flags anywhere i just add more pumps until it does the thing.

Most other liquids are also on singular base-wide systems.

Edit:
I also have a huge patch where some tailing ponds overflowed and according to the mod developer this is flammable:

Dr. Stab posted:

:golfclap:

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 29, 2019

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Mithaldu posted:

Edit:
I also have a huge patch where some tailing ponds overflowed and according to the mod developer this is flammable:
It is! :supaburn:

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
That owns

What mod is that? Just IR?

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

Lemur Crisis posted:

It makes splitting off a little simpler, it lets you put down lamps in the middle with less work if you ever want to do that, it looks nicer in the map view, and I'm a monster. I did it without the spaces at first, and that does feel more pleasing.

I like the V pattern of the expanding bus but you should consider having columns of four belts with two spaces between rows. That way you can easily run underground belts across the bus.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

tak posted:

That owns

What mod is that? Just IR?
Nope, that's all of the pymods together. He's done a lot of rebalancing on it to make it much less of a drag and now it's a nice megabase antfarm.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
It doesn't look like much:

But this is my first factory in years, and it took me a bit to get over the paralysis of "what do I build next?"
My favorite part of this game has always been building little spaghetti factories, so forget the bus, that's what I'm doing. My other goal is to keep this small and proportionate, so everything roughly follows ratios -- in this case, I wanted just enough resources to saturate 1 assembler of each science.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I'm about to start loving around with nuclear power stuff for the first time in vanilla since they added nukes to the base game, so I updated Reactor Interface to 0.17

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Solumin posted:

It doesn't look like much:

But this is my first factory in years, and it took me a bit to get over the paralysis of "what do I build next?"
My favorite part of this game has always been building little spaghetti factories, so forget the bus, that's what I'm doing. My other goal is to keep this small and proportionate, so everything roughly follows ratios -- in this case, I wanted just enough resources to saturate 1 assembler of each science.

Even with a bus you still get to build spaghetti factories. If you start producing stuff off site and want to put it on the bus, you can end up with ridiculous braided belts to get there as you add things one at a time. Not to mention every actual build location is it's own beautiful disaster.

BlueOccamy
Jul 1, 2010
I've been playing IR and building way too much poo poo without putting up adequate defenses. It took so long for any red to show up on the map (chose largest starting area and biters have a minimum of an hour between sending out settling parties) that I got complacent and now they're sending big biters/spitters. I actually reverted to an auto-save last night because I was trying to get rid of a nest to my south-west and they corpse camped me. It was my first time trying to go after them so I underestimated their power and I had a ton of stuff on my corpse :(

I have the explosives that create water tiles mod enabled, it's very tempting to moat myself or at least "wall" two of my four sides so I can focus on protecting the other two. They've started sending attack parties and destroying stuff before I can get to them. I really should have tweaked the evolution or something on map creation.

Edit: That may also explain things- my play time on this save is 40:15:31. I didn't realize I'd been playing that long already :stare:

BlueOccamy fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 29, 2019

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Mr. Powers posted:

Even with a bus you still get to build spaghetti factories. If you start producing stuff off site and want to put it on the bus, you can end up with ridiculous braided belts to get there as you add things one at a time. Not to mention every actual build location is it's own beautiful disaster.

For me, the bus always leads to really orderly, well-spaced factories. I just can't spaghetti the bus at all. Go figure.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
The trick to spaghetti is to give yourself not quite enough space to do things in an orderly fashion

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Nah the trick to spaghetti is just never picking things back up if it seems like your original concept of how to make it doesn't work. Just work around it and you'll end up with something glorious.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Spaghetti starts at the edge of the bus where material feeds are being split, merged, and connected to the production installations, which are themselves slightly more orderly only because they need to be relatively straightforward to expand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Honestly in something like IR you're better off embracing the spaghetti in the early game, if you try to set up an orderly bus right from the outset you'll be running belt for days before you can even produce anything interesting.