Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willninho
Aug 14, 2007
Probably because I’ve been watching a lot of Jim Ross era promotions; who in current wrestling has the best non wrestling sports credentials (besides the obvious Brock)? Is there anyone who’s came above no name all big 12 lb level?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

chad gable

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Dolph Ziggler was also pretty successful (1 loss in 4 years)

Matt Riddle would be another obvious one

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 26, 2019

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

oh i guess you said non wrestling. idk. matt riddle tom lawlor whoever else dont know

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

Mojo, Corbin, Reigns, and maybe-still-NXT-guy Dio Maddin were practice-squad-level NFL guys. Tino Sabatelli was a 2nd round pick at safety and legit NFL player. I mean, he was terrible, but he started.

Explosions fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Sep 27, 2019

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If you still count her it's Ronda of course.

Kacy hasn't officially quit yet but I don't think she won anything, she was just the first woman to beat whatever.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Minidust posted:

There was also the extra-polite variation with “don’t make me mad!” printed on the guitar :kiddo:

This looks like a N64 No Mercy character model with slightly more polygons.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Willninho posted:

Probably because I’ve been watching a lot of Jim Ross era promotions; who in current wrestling has the best non wrestling sports credentials (besides the obvious Brock)? Is there anyone who’s came above no name all big 12 lb level?

MMA people mostly - Rousey, Riddle, Lawlor, Baszler. You're not gonna find a ton of people who are actually names in sports who move to wrestling, though, because one makes you a ton of money and nationwide fame and the other is regarded by the general public as perhaps one step above being a professional clown.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The closest we got in recent years is probably DeAngelo Williams (made a Pro Bowl, legit starter for a decade), who had that one match in Impact where he blew everyone's mind and probably could've made a career out of it, but he decided to just keep it a one-off.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

danny hodge could crush a scrotum with his bare eyelid

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Cain Velasquez has a good shout as well.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Minidust posted:

There was also the extra-polite variation with “don’t make me mad!” printed on the guitar :kiddo:

That's the most cute and ineffectual threat I've seen since:

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Benne posted:

The closest we got in recent years is probably DeAngelo Williams (made a Pro Bowl, legit starter for a decade), who had that one match in Impact where he blew everyone's mind and probably could've made a career out of it, but he decided to just keep it a one-off.

The Pope? Oh wait that was Deangelo Dinearo, aka Elijah Burke.

Does Mark Henry count?

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Custard Undies posted:

Does Mark Henry count?

Seconding this vote.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Mark Henry set powerlifting records over 20 years ago that still stand. He's loving incredible.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mark Henry talking audible poo poo during matches is the best gimmick ever.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

mark henry's current world record that still stands from 1995 seems partially disputed in that some places classify him under the 308+ weight class where he held the record from 1995 to 2010. meanwhile other records go with 'SHW' where he still does hold the record. i don't know what In the gently caress but the web site with SHW on it looks better. I guess that seals the deal

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Shine posted:

That's the most cute and ineffectual threat I've seen since:

How about "Don't get me steamed?" or "Don't steam my clams?"

Shine posted:

Mark Henry set powerlifting records over 20 years ago that still stand. He's loving incredible.

Didn't he just do some competition not that long ago and it was as though the previous twenty years hadn't passed by?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Yeah, and according to Henry when he went to tell Vince his plans to do this, Vince told him "Okay Mark, but remember, we have no room in WWE for the World's Second Strongest Man." So it was win or be fired

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
I'm currently reading Supersta Billy Grahams book and had few questions.

- Was Billy really that influential. He himself makes it sound like he was GOAT and everyone cripped from him?

- He talks about when he was touring and defending his belt, Bobo did the favours for him. He mentions that he didnt feel a thing during to whole match as Bobo took it so lightly. Then he says "It was sign of courtesy and respect". Was it common back in his day for challenger to not lay it stiff on the champ and keep him fresh for the next town? How would it be taken today if Tana or Okada would take it easy and only show up for two or three times a year?

- Vince is quoted here saying "I always thought that we missed the boat with Superstar, and quite frankly, had I been in charge at the time, he would have been Hulk Hogan for me".. Would that have worked? I've never really seens Graham so i dont really know how over he really was but could he have been in Hogans spot? Where would the industry be today if that had happen?

- he mentions that his wrestlingstyle was a "strongman" style, i gues a style that leans heavily on power holds like bearhugs and such. What is the best example of this kind of style?

And lastly i found it funny when Graham recounted how Dusty used to mutter to himself, i guess to time it perfectly before he hit the bionic elbow

"There was a rhythm to the way Dusty threw his "bionic elbow", as if he was dancing to a melody in his mind. He'd hold you in place, pause a moment and mutter, : "Dit, dit, dit, dit, dit" conducting his personal opera while dropping the elbow".

Have you wrestling goons ever witnessed something similar in the ring?

TheCool69 fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 28, 2019

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

TheCool69 posted:

- Was Billy really that influential. He himself makes it sound like he was GOAT and everyone cripped from him?

Hulk Hogan is at least 88% Superstar Billy Graham

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Jesse Ventura was at least 99% Graham.

It's genuinely thought that as his heel reign progressed, that Superstar began getting more and more over. But apparently Vince Sr really liked to plan ahead, so much so, that he had already decided that Backlund would be champ before Graham beat Sammartino, so Graham was basically a ten month transitional champion.

But there's no denying that Graham had tons of charisma, and was exactly what Vince Jr saw as the ideal wrestler. He would've definitely turned him face and given him a Hogan/Cena-esqe push if he had been in charge at the time.

Also, it's considered a sign of a great wrestler if they can make it look as though they're working stiff when they're actually not.

And it was just the way of the time where you would have a traveling champion. You'd have a champion of a promotion, but then a couple of times a year the World Champion (who usually belonged to another promotion) would show up for an angle. It made for a big deal when someone challenged for the World title.

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 28, 2019

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I'm updating my guide to King of Trios article and I was wondering if I could get help with the guys I don't know. Just a paragraph of info.

- The Carnies (Nick Iggy, Kerry Awful, and Tripp Cassidy)
- The Embassy (Prince Nana, Jimmy Rave, and Sal Rinauro)
- Lance Lude and Rob Killjoy from the Ugly Ducklings (on Team Quack Attack with Mike Quackenbush)
- Thomas Santell and Kris Statlander (on Team Nerder Death Kris with Nick Gage)
- Freddie Mercurio (on Team Queens with Solo Darling and Willow Nightingale)
- VeloCities (Paris De Silva, Jude London, and Mat Diamond)

Freddie Mercurio's deal seems to explain itself, but I was wondering if there's more to him than "Freddie Mercury as a wrestler."

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

What wrestling moves have proven to be the most dangerous in terms of injuries?

It seems to me like catastrophic neck injuries seem to be most likely from power bombs(Hardcore Holly, Big Show, Droz all suffered big neck injuries here), tombstone style piledrivers (Austin, the guy Austin did it to), and aerial moves that involve flipping backwards (who was that FMW guy with the mask he was cool but he just loving planted himself on a lionsault. And this indy worker from limitless nearly got paralyzed from delivering a top rope poisonrana). Actually it seems like there are more high profile powerbomb problems than piledriver ones, which surprises me.

Almost any move can go very badly in pro wrestling, it's a dangerous show, but those seem like the worst offenders to me. Am I missing any?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Hellblazer187 posted:

the guy Austin did it to
Chono

Hellblazer187 posted:

(who was that FMW guy with the mask he was cool but he just loving planted himself on a lionsault.
Hayabusa

Hellblazer187 posted:

What wrestling moves have proven to be the most dangerous in terms of injuries?

Almost any move can go very badly in pro wrestling, it's a dangerous show, but those seem like the worst offenders to me. Am I missing any?
backdrop suplex/driver, look at what happened to misawa

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the most dangerous move is running into the ropes not knowing what to do when you get there, especially if they aren't wwe-style and they're just deadly elevator cables or something with a thin layer of rubber ontop

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The most dangerous wrestling move is anything that involves Mabel

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Armmmmmmbar.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Gavok posted:

I'm updating my guide to King of Trios article and I was wondering if I could get help with the guys I don't know. Just a paragraph of info.

quote:

I've seen them wrestle a couple of times I think but I do not know if they have any distinguishing characteristics beyond "crazy evil carnival/clown/circus wrestlers".

quote:

Prince Nana was a heel manager in mid-2000s Ring of Honor, with the gimmick that he was an actual Prince who was blowing his nation's money on a heel wrestling stable called The Embassy. Jimmy Rave was the "Crown Jewel" of the Embassy, and was basically a smug heel who would steal everyone's moves and declare them his invention (i.e. the Styles Clash became The Rave Clash). He also got toilet paper thrown at him a lot. I don't remember too many other people being memorable Embassy stable members, though Sal Rinauro hung around at part of the stable for a good long while.

quote:

Thomas Santell is the former WWE Heart Throbs member Antonio Thomas. A couple of years ago he switched up his gimmick to "The Ovaltine Dream" Thomas Santell, which is pretty heavily based on George McFly and is kind of reminiscent of the late-period ECW anti-hardcore Cactus Jack where he doesn't like drinking or cursing or hardcore violence, but he does love Ovaltine and hard work and good old fashioned catch wrestling. He first teamed up with Nick Gage as an odd couple tag team (also called Nerder Death Kill) in Beyond this summer.

He also hosts a sports podcast called I Lost My Wallet in Greg Polanco for Figure4/Wrestling Observer, but all I really know about it is that everyone else in the Empire seems baffled by the name.

Kris Statlander is a fairly new wrestler (debuted in June 2017) and has an Alien gimmick I do not fully understand, sometimes she apparently uses mind control or telekinesis to control her opponents?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Edge & Christian posted:

I've seen them wrestle a couple of times I think but I do not know if they have any distinguishing characteristics beyond "crazy evil carnival/clown/circus wrestlers".
Prince Nana was a heel manager in mid-2000s Ring of Honor, with the gimmick that he was an actual Prince who was blowing his nation's money on a heel wrestling stable called The Embassy. Jimmy Rave was the "Crown Jewel" of the Embassy, and was basically a smug heel who would steal everyone's moves and declare them his invention (i.e. the Styles Clash became The Rave Clash). He also got toilet paper thrown at him a lot. I don't remember too many other people being memorable Embassy stable members, though Sal Rinauro hung around at part of the stable for a good long while.
Thomas Santell is the former WWE Heart Throbs member Antonio Thomas. A couple of years ago he switched up his gimmick to "The Ovaltine Dream" Thomas Santell, which is pretty heavily based on George McFly and is kind of reminiscent of the late-period ECW anti-hardcore Cactus Jack where he doesn't like drinking or cursing or hardcore violence, but he does love Ovaltine and hard work and good old fashioned catch wrestling. He first teamed up with Nick Gage as an odd couple tag team (also called Nerder Death Kill) in Beyond this summer.

He also hosts a sports podcast called I Lost My Wallet in Greg Polanco for Figure4/Wrestling Observer, but all I really know about it is that everyone else in the Empire seems baffled by the name.

Kris Statlander is a fairly new wrestler (debuted in June 2017) and has an Alien gimmick I do not fully understand, sometimes she apparently uses mind control or telekinesis to control her opponents?

Alex Shelley and Abyss were both great Embassy members, and competed in a Trios tournament with Rave!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Willninho posted:

Jeff Cobb was an Olympian in wrestling.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Willninho posted:

Not current but Kurt Angle.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

MassRafTer posted:

Alex Shelley and Abyss were both great Embassy members, and competed in a Trios tournament with Rave!
Huh! I remember seeing Abyss in a cage tag match as part of the Embassy at the first ROH show I ever attended, which as it turns out was also about a month before Abyss stopped wrestling in ROH. I had assumed that he was less a member and more of a Monster of the Week type brought in for the match by Nana. Straight up forgot about Shelley though.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

Cavauro posted:

the most dangerous move is running into the ropes not knowing what to do when you get there, especially if they aren't wwe-style and they're just deadly elevator cables or something with a thin layer of rubber ontop

someone post enzo knocking himself out running the ropes

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Hirez posted:

someone post enzo knocking himself out running the ropes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iteqaH6S9gs

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I mean I've only been in indy rings, but those ropes are hard to even move. Deadly Elevator Cables sounds about right

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gavok posted:

- Lance Lude and Rob Killjoy from the Ugly Ducklings (on Team Quack Attack with Mike Quackenbush)
- Freddie Mercurio (on Team Queens with Solo Darling and Willow Nightingale)
- VeloCities (Paris De Silva, Jude London, and Mat Diamond)

Freddie Mercurio's deal seems to explain itself, but I was wondering if there's more to him than "Freddie Mercury as a wrestler."

Oh poo poo the Ugly Ducklings are in KoT? They're really fun! I don't really have much info I can offer, but I've been consistently impressed by them. In fact, I saw Team Quack Attack vs. The Colony at Flying V Wrestling not too long ago.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Didn't Lance Lude appear in the Urban Wrestling Federation at one point?

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

Is anyone running the WH-128 this year? Jerusalem’s Top 10 Wrestlers thread (which is also cool and good) reminded me that the WH-128 used to be every other year or so (but not this year, possibly because of this being an old dead forum).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer

BodyMassageMachine posted:

Is anyone running the WH-128 this year? Jerusalem’s Top 10 Wrestlers thread (which is also cool and good) reminded me that the WH-128 used to be every other year or so (but not this year, possibly because of this being an old dead forum).

If y'all are good with it, I'm okay to run it.