Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

"Take a break" is up there with "have you tried being happy?" as one of the most useless things to say to a person suffering depression, bipolar disorder, suicidal thoughts, or really any other mental health conditions, and it always seems to come unsolicited from some sanctimonious skidmark who really has no interest in actually helping or showing concern but rather just wants to dispense advice.

Removing yourself from a poo poo situation (if possible) i.e. "taking a break" is absolutely an effective method for easing mental strain. I think you may have made one or more false assumptions about my viewpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Internet isn't always great for mental health, but speaking from experience, taking a break just meant being alone with my thoughts, which was always massively worse.

If the problem's in your own head, it's kind of tough to "just take a break" from that.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Beach Bum posted:

Removing yourself from a poo poo situation (if possible) i.e. "taking a break" is absolutely an effective method for easing mental strain. I think you may have made one or more false assumptions about my viewpoint.

That wasn't specifically directed at you, but when you have bipolar disorder or something similar, the "mental strain" is coming from your own brain. It makes most of your life a poo poo situation and you don't get to take a break from it. People aren't suicidal because of mental strain, either, they're suicidal because a handful of psychological, physical, chemical, electrical, and other process in their brains aren't working together in a way that makes dealing with the poo poo life throws at them easily manageable. When you have mood disorders, taking a break, going outside, working out, watching cartoons, riding motorcycles, and whatever other poo poo people do to feel better and enjoy life don't fix your problems. You just take a break, go outside, work out, watch cartoons, and ride motorcycles and still feel lovely. Hopefully less lovely, but leisure activities and self improvement do gently caress all for a brain that just likes to torch all its dopamine instead of binding it correctly. This isn't me speculating, this is what I know from dealing with depression and having several close friends and family with BPD and also knowing a few suicidal people for pretty much my whole life, dealing with doctors, therapists, and researching it.

Slavvy's brain doesn't work the way he wants it to and makes him feel hopeless and angry and terrible all the time regardless of what he tries. He doesn't have access to the therapy and health care he wants, despite seeking it repeatedly. He doesn't get to just step away from his poo poo situation and fix it. This also is not me speculating, it's words he's written himself. The idea that he's sadbrains because he spends too much time online is some pretty insulting ableist bullshit.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Agree with your perspective

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Note the "if possible" qualifier? I'm well aware that there is some poo poo you can't get away from, like this dumb argument I didn't want to have.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
If Slavvy is dead I know he's probably enjoying that we are memorializing him with the dumbest slapfight. It's his style

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Beach Bum posted:

Note the "if possible" qualifier? I'm well aware that there is some poo poo you can't get away from, like this dumb argument I didn't want to have.

Ah, so it didn’t have anything to do with Slavvy and his situation. Noted.

Since nobody is responding to any of the questions about whether or not he can be gotten in touch with, I assume nobody here has ever emailed with him or done any buy/sell/trading and therefore has no name or irl contact information?

Does anybody remember what town he lives in? If it’s not some big city like Christchurch, maybe he could be found by looking through small moto repair businesses run by a guy with a Slavic name? I think he once said that’s the source if his username.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Chichevache posted:

If Slavvy is dead I know he's probably enjoying that we are memorializing him with the dumbest slapfight. It's his style

You worked in a health profession with patients dealing with severe mental health issues, right? You of all people should know that they should be taken seriously.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

You worked in a health profession with patients dealing with severe mental health issues, right? You of all people should know that they should be taken seriously.

My point still stands. Slavvy would love to see us all bickering like children. That's his thing.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
If slavvy dies, he will never escape NZ, and that's terrible.

Seriously, though, he's one of my favorite people on these forums. His fun perspective on things, as well as a wealth of information, is always a joy. He seems like an all around good guy, and I want to see him happy.

It's sad you can't pay to unban someone. He can't even read these forums because they are behind a paywall, right?

Ah, so it didn’t have anything to do with Slavvy and his situation. Noted.

Since nobody is responding to any of the questions about whether or not he can be gotten in touch with, I assume nobody here has ever emailed with him or done any buy/sell/trading and therefore has no name or irl contact information?

Does anybody remember what town he lives in? If it’s not some big city like Christchurch, maybe he could be found by looking through small moto repair businesses run by a guy with a Slavic name? I think he once said that’s the source if his username.

This is a good idea to start with.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

He can't even read these forums because they are behind a paywall, right?

Sometimes lowtax will put up the Total Paywall so you have to be a member to read posts, but most of the time you can lurk free of charge if you don't mind all the "gently caress"s being changed to" gently caress"

The last time I actually remember the paywall happening was during one of the Dangan Ronpa let's plays, and that was years ago

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

"Someone from the internet is worried about you..." and thus she explains to me that one of you breathless lunatics has successfully managed to find me IRL.

:10bux: later and here I am. Still alive (by the slimmest of margins), still poo poo posting. If you want to know what happened PM me, I'm not making GBS threads this one out in public.

1. HenryJ you are 100% correct

2. You guys are pretty much all great

3. KTM are garbage, bite me

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

drat it is good to see you back.

Edit: You don't have PMs you ding dong.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Sep 27, 2019

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Slavvy posted:

There's that fire. Hold on to that.

Metaphorically. Not literally. Please do not Enfield yourself and set yourself on fire.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Glad to have you back.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Sweet, Slavvy’s still around!

I was on holiday in NZ back in August and thought about asking where you are based in case it’s anywhere near where we were passing by, thought it would be cool to put a face to the informative posting, but figured you’d be like “who the gently caress?!” because I don’t post much and don’t get involved in all of the debates over which bikes are good and which bikes suck (because I’ve only ever owned two bikes and I hardly ever loving ride so am hardly qualified)..

I was googling and searching FB last night trying to see if I could find a motorcycle repair business with a name like your YouTube user name attached but ultimately failed.. glad someone else has a better Google Fu shtoyle than me!

Wishing you the best, dude.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Sweet, Slavvy’s still around!

I was on holiday in NZ back in August and thought about asking where you are based in case it’s anywhere near where we were passing by, thought it would be cool to put a face to the informative posting, but figured you’d be like “who the gently caress?!” because I don’t post much and don’t get involved in all of the debates over which bikes are good and which bikes suck (because I’ve only ever owned two bikes and I hardly ever loving ride so am hardly qualified)..

I was googling and searching FB last night trying to see if I could find a motorcycle repair business with a name like your YouTube user name attached but ultimately failed.. glad someone else has a better Google Fu shtoyle than me!

Wishing you the best, dude.

Hi, Mrs Slavvy. I'm Here4dagangbang! Where are you going?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'm glad you're not dead Slavvy.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
gently caress yeah it's a Friday miracle!!! I'm so glad you are back, slavvy!

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

"Someone from the internet is worried about you..." and thus she explains to me that one of you breathless lunatics has successfully managed to find me IRL.

:10bux: later and here I am. Still alive (by the slimmest of margins), still poo poo posting. If you want to know what happened PM me, I'm not making GBS threads this one out in public.

Count me also as extremely happy to hear from you, you just made my day.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Hi Slavvy I’m glad you’re back. oval office. :love:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

Glad to hear you’re safe Slavvy! I know everyone here gets into pissy slap fights, but I think this is the one motorcycle forum around where the members actually give a poo poo. Welcome back!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Glad you're alive, Slavvy. I'd give you a big hug but y'know, internet.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy please email me at username (all lower case) at gmail since you don't have plat for PMs.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Welcome back!

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Good to have you back Slavvy, I noticed your avatar went away so I got you a shiny new one!

I couldn't buy you a plat account because I don't have your e-mail, so here's the code for one EB1E101-16DB09B653-F4FF3

Cheers!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Elviscat posted:

Good to have you back Slavvy, I noticed your avatar went away so I got you a shiny new one!

I couldn't buy you a plat account because I don't have your e-mail, so here's the code for one snip

Cheers!

Oh you dirty bastard :haw:

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Slavvy posted:

:3: :love:

I'm glad I missed this whole saga bc I was in :canada:, america's new zealand

mewse
May 2, 2006

Slavvy posted:

I was worried about you FWIW, glad you are back

e:

Chichevache posted:

Hi, Mrs Slavvy. I'm Here4dagangbang! Where are you going?

:lol:

mewse fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 27, 2019

tjones
May 13, 2005
Not that it means much, but I'm glad you're alright man.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Slavvy please email me at username (all lower case) at gmail since you don't have plat for PMs.

I've got PM now thanks to this guy:

Elviscat posted:

I couldn't buy you a plat account because I don't have your e-mail, so here's the code for one EB1E101-16DB09B653-F4FF3

Cheers!

Super generous, thank you! I'd say I appreciate it but it comes with the orange mark of shame so yeah. But still, thanks!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Glad to hear you’re safe Slavvy! I know everyone here gets into pissy slap fights, but I think this is the one motorcycle forum around where the members actually give a poo poo. Welcome back!

Pissy slap fights is how you can tell people give a poo poo. It really does matter to me that people get angel gt's instead of pr4's, because I want them to have the most possible fun riding bikes so they tell their friends to get bikes and everyone can have more bike fun.

I'm honestly amazed by how many people here give a gently caress that I'm alive, it's blowing my mind.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Glad you’re ok mate.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

I'm honestly amazed by how many people here give a gently caress that I'm alive, it's blowing my mind.

I just think it would be tragic if Razzled wasn't the first to go.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I've got PM now thanks to this guy:

Super generous, thank you! I'd say I appreciate it but it comes with the orange mark of shame so yeah. But still, thanks!

Pissy slap fights is how you can tell people give a poo poo. It really does matter to me that people get angel gt's instead of pr4's, because I want them to have the most possible fun riding bikes so they tell their friends to get bikes and everyone can have more bike fun.

Chiming in to say I am glad you're alive but am also interested in the Angel GT thing because the Wisdom Of The Internet tells me to get PR4s because, you know, London commuting so I need wet-weather performance and some longevity and I'm willing to sacrifice turn-in speed for that, so I'm interested in an alternative view.

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
My 990 with Angel GTs never suffered from loss of traction in the wet, and the hardened center compound version meant they lasted for ever.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Chiming in to say I am glad you're alive but am also interested in the Angel GT thing because the Wisdom Of The Internet tells me to get PR4s because, you know, London commuting so I need wet-weather performance and some longevity and I'm willing to sacrifice turn-in speed for that, so I'm interested in an alternative view.

Yeah it's pretty much what revvik says. The lifespan difference is negligible, the wet grip difference is negligible, but the turning and at-lean behavior is light-years better, they feel almost like sportbike tyres and have none of that nasty fighting-you sensation PR's give.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

PR4s are pretty much NLA now :( and their replacement is poorly reviewed, although I just out one on my front wheel. I've loved all the Pirellis I've had, I've gotten their Diablo Rosso II on the SV and the R1, and they're a really good sport tire with decent tread life considering.

This is the only decent motorcycle community on the internet, like there's some awesome gurus out their (all the guys that figure out every common oil filter that fits on Suzuki's stupid loving thread pattern) but they're drowning in such a poo poo lagoon it's unbearable. Especially when it comes to new riders, the advice here is rock-solid, I've ignored it at times (lol, R1 as a second motorcycle) but it's fuelled my ATGATT lifestyle, and taste for sensible sport touring motorcycles. It's the only positive motorcycle role-model in my life, and my life is pretty motorcycle centric.

(Was, I lost the key for my FZ6 and haven't ridden it in like 2 weeks, too many conflicting obligations :( )

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.
Welcome back Slavvy, it was a short time, but we were worried and we did miss you. (go post some insight in the racing thread.)

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Haven't read the thread in a few days that was a bit of a rollercoaster. Glad you're still around Slavvy, I like your posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Slavvy you can count me among the people glad you're still posting.