Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Octavo
Feb 11, 2019

Dave Brookshaw posted:

I get paid around 1c / word when Developing, 6c / word when writing, so I typically try to write things like introductions (which are often repurposed and reedited from design bibles - fun factoid, there. It's not plagarism if you wrote it your drat self for that same book, but it *would* be if a freelancer spat my own bible back at me) and the inevitable core Storytelling system myself.

The biggest pay-bump, which has had a tangible effect on my finances, has been the pound crashing due to Brexit. A thousand dollars for a book is worth nearly £250 more now.

1c per word when doing arguably the hardest part...what the hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Octavo posted:

1c per word when doing arguably the hardest part...what the hell

For the whole book. A CofD corebook is about 230,000 words. Most modern CofD sourcebooks are about 110,000.

And then you get paid writer rate to write the bits of the draft you actually write.

But still, as I say to people at my day job who ask why I don't go full time, I would make more money being the drummer in a pub band.

MachineIV
Feb 28, 2017

Dave Brookshaw posted:

For the whole book. A CofD corebook is about 230,000 words. Most modern CofD sourcebooks are about 110,000.

And then you get paid writer rate to write the bits of the draft you actually write.

But still, as I say to people at my day job who ask why I don't go full time, I would make more money being the drummer in a pub band.

And it's worth noting that while that 230,000 is $2,300, you also have to put in a few months' work for it, and you really have zero say in when you get paid. Sometimes it's upwards of five years after you actually do the work. When I started, it was about 9 months at most (there were a lot of "book as baby" jokes.) That wasn't great, but at least it was reliable if you staggered enough contracts.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
The well known rapist has effectively admitted that it was him who privately messaged about Evil Hat & Green Ronin.

Has gone on to show that we can add him to the Ty Beard hall of fame of people who don't understand defamation laws in the US.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

PST posted:

The well known rapist has effectively admitted that it was him who privately messaged about Evil Hat & Green Ronin.

Has gone on to show that we can add him to the Ty Beard hall of fame of people who don't understand defamation laws in the US.

Where at?

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Twitter, on his 'i hit it with my axe' account. He's also been attacking Mikan again.

https://twitter.com/IHitItWithMyAxe/status/1177943090385960966

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

He's literally just jumping into threads asking people to sign affidavits to back up random tweets. It's unhinged and pathetic.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Zurui posted:

He's literally just jumping into threads asking people to sign affidavits to back up random tweets. It's unhinged and pathetic.

Yeah, I'll totally sign an affidavit that Zak S is a big loving loser, gimme a goddamned pen.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.

Lumbermouth posted:

Yeah, I'll totally sign an affidavit that Zak S is a big loving loser, gimme a goddamned pen.

Yeah I found this poo poo shortly after posting, and I would totally sign a legal document about what a feeb he is.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

I’ll happily sign an affidavit that states under pain of perjury that Zak S shat his pants at Chik-fil-A on the last day of GenCon 2017

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
So has Zak given up tweeting from his personal account in the hope that some people won't know it's him/think from the twitter avatar that it's a woman tweeting at them, or is he just trying to cling to the feeble remnants of his ultimate progressive shield?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I think he's convinced this will all blow over at some point.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Also: Kickstarter apparently responded to the accusations that they're anti union with "Yes. Now gently caress off."
https://twitter.com/NathanJRobinson/status/1178005656865034240

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kurieg posted:

Also: Kickstarter apparently responded to the accusations that they're anti union with "Yes. Now gently caress off."
WELP.

Should it be Scabstarter or Kickstarter, going forwards?

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Kurieg posted:

If you actually read the CEOs response, the reporter is dramatizing quite heavily.

I'm still not backing anything because lol, gently caress capital

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Looks like I'm done backing things on Kickstarter. It was a good run, but this is some bullshit.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kwyndig posted:

Looks like I'm done backing things on Kickstarter. It was a good run, but this is some bullshit.
Yeah same.

Disappointing.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Unoriginal Name posted:

If you actually read the CEOs response, the reporter is dramatizing quite heavily.

I mean the CEO literally says in his letter that they aren't going to voluntarily recognize any sort of union and that “the union framework is inherently adversarial[...]We believe that in many ways it would set us back, and that the us vs. them binary already has.” Of course he isn't going to come right out and say "gently caress off, losers" in plain language but it's not too hard to read between the lines here.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Unoriginal Name posted:

"Managers can't take part in organizing a union because that's against the law" and "the unions framework is inherently adversarial" are some real bullshit directly from the Kickstarter response, and "they were fired for performance" looks like an obvious lie going by multiple sources inside the company.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

I've dropped my only open pledge down to $1 and plan to keep any future backing at this level and handle things in e.g. backerkit or getting pdfs when they release.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I am planning to wait on the union's response, since last time they, uh, explicitly said not to boycott because doing so wouldn't hurt Kickstarter.

Serf
May 5, 2011

unions are supposed to be inherently adversarial and that's a good thing

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Serf posted:

unions are supposed to be inherently adversarial and that's a good thing

Unions are inherently adversarial because the interests of workers and capital are inherently opposed.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Why can't we stick with a non-adversarial system where you generate value and I take most of it?!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Pope Guilty posted:

Why can't we stick with a non-adversarial system where you generate value and I take most of it?!

I thought this forum was done playing Dungeons and Dragons.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

canyoneer posted:

It's a race to the bottom in pricing the product. It's unsurprising that they pay the writers like crap too.

I think the industry as a whole is undervaluing their creative work via pricing too low.

I got straight up told 4 dollars was asking "way too much" for an illustrated 14 page supplement book I sell on drivethrurpg. It's nuts how little value is placed on the work.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Lurdiak posted:

I got straight up told 4 dollars was asking "way too much" for an illustrated 14 page supplement book I sell on drivethrurpg. It's nuts how little value is placed on the work.

Well yeah, they can get a 280 page pdf for $10 so obviously your 14 pages is only worth $0.50. That's simple math. :v:

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

People really resent the idea of paying for labour. :(

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Jimbozig posted:

Well yeah, they can get a 280 page pdf for $10 so obviously your 14 pages is only worth $0.50. That's simple math. :v:

Hey, we don't know the illustration:words. Lurdiak might be asking for as much as $4 per word, which I would agree might be too high depending on the word.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Speaking of industry pay rates, the Sigmata guy has weighed in on the issue...by taking the bold and unprecedented stance that change is too hard so might as well not bother.

https://twitter.com/Papa_Shell/status/1177738185775996936

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I'm pretty pessimistic about the whole thing, and definitely agree that the consumer base at large will be no help if not an active hindrance, but if you think you need a "million dollar business plan" to raise standard rates to ~10 cents you're a loving idiot.

I'm sure, if some real unionizing went on, we'd all miss the neverending stream of shovelware spewing out of Pathfinder 3PP at rates in the <1c range. But that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

EDIT: Like, yeah dude, I am outright telling you you shouldn't be able to run an actual real adult business venture and pay people next to nothing to act as your employees. Sorry if your dreams are dashed because your hot take game that smashed it on Kickstarter can't be published for double the already tiny budget poo poo gets done for in RPGs. If it's "just friends doing hobbies" maybe act like it instead of having an actual marketing campaign and poo poo.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 29, 2019

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
It's not even like other creators haven't been able to run successful crowdfunding projects where "give the creators a pay raise" or proper budgeting even outside of stretch goals were worked into the project from the ground up. I can't imagine trying to present myself as some sort of amazingly talented force for social awareness and consistently having such dogshit garbage takes.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

Speaking of industry pay rates, the Sigmata guy has weighed in on the issue...by taking the bold and unprecedented stance that change is too hard so might as well not bother.

https://twitter.com/Papa_Shell/status/1177738185775996936

That dude is a bad take machine. Have you looked at his next game? It's about eco-fascism.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Unoriginal Name posted:

Yes. Union all the way.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Liquid Communism posted:

That dude is a bad take machine. Have you looked at his next game? It's about eco-fascism.

Link please?

Also do you mean, like, the real threat of a 'we can only save ourselves, the earth is too far gone' armed lifeboat argument from the rich and powerful? Or do you mean 'evil fascists using Greta Thurnberg as their mascot to conquer the world.'

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Joe Slowboat posted:

Link please?

Also do you mean, like, the real threat of a 'we can only save ourselves, the earth is too far gone' armed lifeboat argument from the rich and powerful? Or do you mean 'evil fascists using Greta Thurnberg as their mascot to conquer the world.'
I believe that this fellow is entirely capable of doing both at once.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
As far as I can tell, the guy's next game is called Reclaimers and it's about a bunch of Musk-like rich people trying to build space arks to go colonize Mars and escape an ecologically devastated earth, loving the earth up even more in the process, so you have to go kill them before they succeed. Fighting against the, as Joe Slowboat puts it, "armed lifeboat" contingent could make for an interesting premise for a game but it's being written by this dipshit so I have basically no real hope that the end result will be anything to write home about.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

That Old Tree posted:

I'm pretty pessimistic about the whole thing, and definitely agree that the consumer base at large will be no help if not an active hindrance, but if you think you need a "million dollar business plan" to raise standard rates to ~10 cents you're a loving idiot.

He was operating on how much a kickstarter would cost if he was paying himself 59 cents per word:

https://twitter.com/Papa_Shell/status/1177737686750289921

And yes, that is a fairly high price to pay.... but I'm not getting where that number came from or who thinks it should be the industry average?

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

He was operating on how much a kickstarter would cost if he was paying himself 59 cents per word:

And yes, that is a fairly high price to pay.... but I'm not getting where that number came from or who thinks it should be the industry average?
It's the exact same argument as "Well, what if we raise the minimum wage to a million dollars an hour!" and deserves exactly as much consideration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Nuns with Guns posted:

Dude's a dumbfuck with zero idea of how anything works, as one might have guessed by reading Sigmata.