Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I just packed up everything I could carry and settled nearish the darklands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

McFrugal posted:

How did you feed the endoflames?

Coal dust from prunae seeds growing in an advanced greenhouse we later upgraded to a flawless.
Once you have power handled from a lightning mast and prunae growing for the CO2 there's no reason to have a normal field anymore except for the dumb unique crops.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Depends posted:

Coal dust from prunae seeds growing in an advanced greenhouse we later upgraded to a flawless.
Once you have power handled from a lightning mast and prunae growing for the CO2 there's no reason to have a normal field anymore except for the dumb unique crops.

I filled an advanced greenhouse with Prunae and it won't keep up with TWO endoflames, let alone sixteen. Does it speed up a lot with more CO2 in it?

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

McFrugal posted:

I filled an advanced greenhouse with Prunae and it won't keep up with TWO endoflames, let alone sixteen. Does it speed up a lot with more CO2 in it?

Yeah, for the advanced you need those gas lanterns otherwise it's just vanilla speed but with the lanterns it's faster.
The speed on the flawless greenhouse is insane, it has a CO2 generator part you add in and feed coal.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Is Sevtech Ages a good mod to learn its component mods? I thought it was but while reading through the thread someone said it was an expert pack and I am not an expert with most of its mods.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Carcer posted:

Is Sevtech Ages a good mod to learn its component mods? I thought it was but while reading through the thread someone said it was an expert pack and I am not an expert with most of its mods.

No. The recipes are all changed, and assume that you're already familiar with the mods in question.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Ah gently caress. Is there a good mod to learn stuff? This is the second time I've started a mod pack only to realise I need to know a lot more than I do to succeed.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Sevtech is at least on the easier side of 'expert' mod packs due to the combat being unmodded and ease of creating light sources and spawn-blocking. If you're willing to do a lot of wiki diving you should be fine with it.

With that said if you're strictly looking to learn then All the Mods 3 is just a bunch of mods without changed recipes. And if you want some structure then Project Ozone 3 normal mode is pretty good at guiding you through a bunch of major mods and getting them to interact.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
To be sure I'm getting the right pack, is it called "Project Ozone 3 A New Way Forward"?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Carcer posted:

Ah gently caress. Is there a good mod to learn stuff? This is the second time I've started a mod pack only to realise I need to know a lot more than I do to succeed.

Try FTB Academy. It’s specifically designed to do this for a select number of mods.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
How is Exoria for this sort of thing? I see I downloaded it at some point and that it can also serve as introduction to some stuff.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Carcer posted:

How is Exoria for this sort of thing? I see I downloaded it at some point and that it can also serve as introduction to some stuff.

It is also a terrible way to introduce you to mods. It's another pack where the mod progression is completely rewritten. All popular challenge packs are going to be like this. Of course, you can just power through if you want, but it's going to be a lot harder if you don't already know some of the mods.

FTB Academy is probably your best bet for learning mods without horrible gimmicks.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Carcer posted:

To be sure I'm getting the right pack, is it called "Project Ozone 3 A New Way Forward"?

It is yeah.

Let me know your thoughts when you get to the armour quests :kiddo:

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Carcer posted:

Just play what you think is fun, make goals, and do those goals. You'll inevitably learn something and carry it with you to future packs.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Unpopular opinion time: I don't like Immersive Engineering. People like to put it up on a pedestal but I think it's tedious and unfun.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Pollyanna posted:

Unpopular opinion time: I don't like Immersive Engineering. People like to put it up on a pedestal but I think it's tedious and unfun.

I like IE because it's aesthetically different than most other power mods.
Like the cables/wires that can damage you and have to be split.
I don't like everything about it, like its storage and huge multiblock systems.
But I think its a great tier 1 type of system used in conjunction with other systems before moving on to bigger and better things.

A few water wheels are always my first type of power gen that I can just build and forget.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Pollyanna posted:

It's neat as a tech mod because it's not just single blocks that do things like industrialcraft and enderio. I will say that it doesn't do much besides "have a progression". There's like the gun and a drill and the skyhook thing but that's about it?

It usually goes in packs to have those processing options and the aesthetic of the cables and multiblocks but yeah it doesn't stand out as a fun time otherwise.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i like big multiblocks but IE is normally plopped in as something that takes an age and a ton of resources

i dunno if this is configurable but if coke ovens/blast furnaces went as fast as normal furnaces i'd be happy with that.

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Pollyanna posted:

wow, wow look at this bad opinion-haver

Jokes aside: personally I like Immersive Engineering because it has a striking, appealing look, it has lots of multiblocks which I love a ton, and unlike other mods it tries to encourage whatever automated systems you build to look like that thing, not just a rats-nest of floating pipes that silently and invisibly teleport items. I think its machines are very good for the trouble they take to make them, and it comes with some good decorative blocks (love those treated planks!)

On the other hand, if you're in a modpack where it's a progression tool to get through stuff where you need to automate it a lot and build multiple copies of some of its machines that would get super tedious because it totally isn't made for either of those things, IMO. It's not really balanced to be 'the best,' and while its automation looks nice and like a moving factory it's not really fast or easy to build. I'm also sure it's probably not great for performance issues.

Personally, I appreciate all those things about it; I don't like to toss in TiCon in every pack because it's a fast way to delete every tool in the pack, so I like the drill and gun a lot more. I like where it is and I don't care if it takes me a while to build a machine especially if the final result looks super cool.

Conversely, here's my unpopular opinion: Thermal Expansion is a boring mod that does the exact opposite of all of the above and always feels very perfunctory and flavorless. "you got to the 'good tech' part, now tear out all your cool, cobbled-together machines that you got to work and replace them with single flavorless blocks that work ten times better and delete every other mod's machines from the game."

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I only install IE because I like the redstone wires and I'm too dumb to figure out other mods redstone :downs:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

BlondRobin posted:

Conversely, here's my unpopular opinion: Thermal Expansion is a boring mod that does the exact opposite of all of the above and always feels very perfunctory and flavorless. "you got to the 'good tech' part, now tear out all your cool, cobbled-together machines that you got to work and replace them with single flavorless blocks that work ten times better and delete every other mod's machines from the game."

i can certainly understand that, even if i don't totally agree.

could be nice in a progression mod to have thermex as the baseline, "just works" mod that processes stuff slowly for limited power drain, and then have the complex stuff like IE be the really fuckin' fast high-level stuff.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

SynthesisAlpha posted:

It's neat as a tech mod because it's not just single blocks that do things like industrialcraft and enderio. I will say that it doesn't do much besides "have a progression". There's like the gun and a drill and the skyhook thing but that's about it?

It usually goes in packs to have those processing options and the aesthetic of the cables and multiblocks but yeah it doesn't stand out as a fun time otherwise.
The drill things that drill up ores are real good and somewhat underused. Probably because lots of packs have stupid garbage like Environmental Tech or Actually Additions where that functionality is covered by a block that costs peanuts. Setting up the core sample drill over and over sucks pretty bad, but when you find deposits it really pulls in 30k ores in no time.

IE has a comfort curve to it. It takes a while to get used to setting the machines up and crafting the parts. It'd be nice if there were an automatic, intuitive way to overlay where to put blocks in game. My workflow is generally to pull it up on a wiki and just copy that for block layout. I know there's the book, and I know one of the mods (maybe even base IE) have a hologram thing now, but that's too much work compared to a wiki on the second monitor. Maybe borrow a page from environmental tech's book and have the mutliblock assemble itself.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Sep 28, 2019

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the projector is absolutely trivial to make and use, but yeah i think autoassembly would be good

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It’s not just the auto assembly, it’s like you make coal coke and then bucket your creosote and then make treated wood from your creosote and then a bench from your treated wood and then a blueprint for your bench and then a glass tube for your spelunkers and use spelunkers for your thingamajig and then a thingamajig silo and then a windmill to make power to make a thingamajig constructor and congratulations you have completed quest 1 of 100, all just like that rabbit hole.

I mean it might be the modpack I'm playing but it feels like busywork.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 28, 2019

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

coal coke and creosote is all busywork yeah, but that sounds like the pack you're playing. Normally you don't need vacuum tubes or any poo poo like that until your going for more mid-tier stuff, most of early IE is just steel, treated wood, hardened clay, and copper. The micro-crafting of wires is, for whatever reason, standard in a lot of big tech mods for no real reason.

Personally my two big beefs with IE are that people never balance it against other tech mods (It has a lot of big passive energy drains, like lights, so it has big passive gen. You basically obsolete away the entire coal burning stage of any other non-IC2 tech mod in a pack with 88rf/t in one waterwheel.) and that the passive generators, though pretty, when built optimally aren't allowed to look pretty. It's not difficult to set up a waterwheel right, but it sure looks ugly unless you go through a lot of effort to hide the extra source blocks. Always seemed kinda unnecessary it was designed that way to me. Just make it give a set rate no matter what and let people make it look nice.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
I do like the look of IE machines but they take up a ton of space and really shove you into a certain theme. If I want to make something nice looking with IE my thematic choices are old industrial factory, old industrial boiler room, or old industrial mill.
With TE, EIO and others, I can easily hide things in walls and just have one face exposed or under the floor and automate everything with easier piping and power. It's tough to make a futuristic or minimalist looking build with a giant diesel engine and all of its supporting machines in the center of the room.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
IE has a nice aesthetic, I love the wires VS traditional cabling from IC2/Gregtech/TE/etc, and it's got some neat mechanics.
But so many mods feel like they only work for their own sake. They introduce a progression ladder to get to the end, and then... not much to show for it. I've always felt Thaumcraft really suffered here, because the wands/gauntlet spells aren't that impressive and a lot of the endgame artifacts never made their way back in after some recent (and not so recent) updates. IE definitely feels like one such mod. There's so little to gain coming out the other side that I view it like Thermal Expansion in that it offers ore doubling and almost nothing else by itself, and as a result is primarily designed to be a building block of larger modpacks, where it bolsters, powers, or just lays the groundwork for a larger progression.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Carcer posted:

Have you played Baby's First Space Race yet?

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
IE suffers from being used almost purely as a gatekeeping mechanic in modpacks. It has a cool aesthetic, but mechanically speaking, it is almost entirely used to stop your progress and make you grind out a bunch of poo poo just to make steel or something similar.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

ProfessorCirno posted:

IE suffers from being used almost purely as a gatekeeping mechanic in modpacks. It has a cool aesthetic, but mechanically speaking, it is almost entirely used to stop your progress and make you grind out a bunch of poo poo just to make steel or something similar.

IE doesn't have a lot of configuration options and all the machines it provides - though they rad as gently caress - work pretty slow. If it were possible to make IE's multiblocks wicked fast compared to other mods which Just Work, without nerfing said other mods into the ground, I think a lot more people would position IE as the top-end machines in their modpacks just because they look so fuckin' rad.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
Well, the Arc Furnace is pretty loving fast if you can pump a lot of RF into it.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

On an All the Mods 3 Remix server I've turned the upper levels of a dungeon and have gotten a smelterry started.

Debating if I should go into Astral Sorcery or Thaumcraft first, any opinion from the goon hive mind?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Astral Sorcery is less tedious and has a bunch of useful stuff including leading to infinite flight through the skill system. Also a massive AoE spawn inhibitor, a tick-speed increasing ritual, a wand to help with building, and access to a precise enchanting system.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Isn't Thaumcraft unfinished and abandoned?

Spectral Werewolf
Jun 15, 2006

And if that wasn't funny, there were lots of things that weren't even funnier...
I always go for the Thermal series stuff because I like watching the items and liquids pass through the ducts.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
OK So it looks like FTB Academy, Project Ozone 3 and BFSR are the go to "Learn all this stuff" mods. Any suggestions of one is better than the others or should be tackled first/last?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Has BFSR even been updated to 1.12? PO3 is less learning and more that it has a quest book that pushes you to complete all the parts of mods in order which helps if you don't know where to go next. The other two are more for actually teaching.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Carcer posted:

OK So it looks like FTB Academy, Project Ozone 3 and BFSR are the go to "Learn all this stuff" mods. Any suggestions of one is better than the others or should be tackled first/last?

Do FTB Academy first, IMO. Other than that, have at it.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Thanks everyone. I'm working my way through FTB Academy and have just configured my first automated chest->Pulverizer->Redstone Furnace->chest setup and am looking forward to making more complex and greater things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Craft of the Titans guy gave his unreleased newest modpack to someone to play.

Seablock Rustic Waters

Only 15m in but looks good so far.
Wasn't the Blightfall guy working on a water based pack also?

Maybe we'll get 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tYXW_0yIvE