Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Weatherman posted:

I'm guessing the strategy here is ":byodood: THE GUBMINT which we castrated and underfunded for eternity CANT EVEN MAINTAIN ROADS! WE NEED TO TURN THE ROADS OVER TO THE PRIVATE SECTOR!!" ?

More of a long history of crony contracts and recurring business for the companies doing the work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Magnetic North posted:

This guy gets it. gently caress Newport. It's the part of Rhode Island for people who aren't from Rhode Island.

We keep the parts that suck and are crooked as gently caress, which is everything else.

Buddy!

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Coming from Connecticut, Rhode Island is a great little spot. Misquamicut is superior to every single CT beach, Providence is a nice enough medium sized city (the fire water thing Is pretty cool) and Newport is a quaint little touristy thing. Great for old folks.

You also have Block Island. Really it’s a remarkable amount of destinations is an extremely small area.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Sock The Great posted:

Coming from Connecticut, Rhode Island is a great little spot. Misquamicut is superior to every single CT beach, Providence is a nice enough medium sized city (the fire water thing Is pretty cool) and Newport is a quaint little touristy thing. Great for old folks.

You also have Block Island. Really it’s a remarkable amount of destinations is an extremely small area.

That's some bullshit, where in CT are you from? Island beach rocks motherfucker.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Alaskan mosquitos are the size of pteradactyls. A month later I got to compare them to the nearly invisible Hawaiian ones that never leave you alone.

I loving hate mosquitos because they will always go for me before any other people around.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Magnetic North posted:

This guy gets it. gently caress Newport. It's the part of Rhode Island for people who aren't from Rhode Island.

We keep the parts that suck and are crooked as gently caress, which is everything else.

How is it even possible to subdivide Rhode Island without it just shrinking and disappearing in a puff of smoke? :smugbert: :texas:

SpelledBackwards fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Sep 28, 2019

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I live in RI and the best BWM content ever is starting a small business in RI

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

I took a job cleaning beaches in high school for some pocket cash over the summer. People from Connecticut loved Misquamicut, but goddamn if they didn't trash it. They just dumped all they garbage right on the beach because gently caress it, not my state.

Most beaches it would be poo poo like "oh man here's some beer bottles". Maybe you'd get an entire cooler or baby diapers if it was crazy busy, something like that. Misquamicut? We once found a whole toilet half- buried in the sand. Who brought a toilet to the beach? Why did they try to bury it? Did they poo poo in it before or after they buried it? These questions will haunt me until my dying day.

HamAdams
Jun 29, 2018

yospos

Magnetic North posted:

Is Rhode Island even big enough to have parts?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
There's the bad part, and then the worse part.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

HamAdams posted:

Is Rhode Island even big enough to have parts?

Yeah you've got up, down, charm, strange, bottom, and top.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Hoshi posted:

That's some bullshit, where in CT are you from? Island beach rocks motherfucker.

Haha. I live in Cheshire. Can’t say I’ve been to Island Beach. Is it even accessible without a boat? The only Greenwich beach I’ve been to is Greenwich Point which has an amazing view of Manhattan.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

Sock The Great posted:

Haha. I live in Cheshire. Can’t say I’ve been to Island Beach. Is it even accessible without a boat? The only Greenwich beach I’ve been to is Greenwich Point which has an amazing view of Manhattan.

Ah gotcha. Yeah I got very lucky to get the only good ones in CT. Todd's point (this is a Sears tower situation) is also loving rad also great for running. Island beach is only by boat but May thru September there's a ferry every half hour

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

TraderStav posted:

Every road in MI is publicly maintained.

:negative:
Now now, the Ambassador Bridge to Canada is privately owned.

Note that I did not say maintained. For it is not maintained.

CannonFodder fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 28, 2019

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

BonerGhost posted:

Yeah you've got up, down, charm, strange, bottom, and top.

You put an interesting spin on this topic by throwing out some quiarky names. Rhode Island of Stability.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

CannonFodder posted:

Now now, the Ambassador Bridge to Canada is privately owned.

Note that I did not say maintained. For it is not maintained.

Why maintain it when you can just build a new one?!?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

SpelledBackwards posted:

You put an interesting spin on this topic by throwing out some quiarky names. Rhode Island of Stability.

you're bohring me

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
More like SchRHODEringer’s cat

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Me [31 M] with my fiance [46 F] 2.5 years, Am I justified in taking her off my house deed and life insurance? [new]
submitted 19 hours ago by bob5150
https://old.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/dafnbg/me_31_m_with_my_fiance_46_f_25_years_am_i/

quote:

Some background: my fiance and I each have 1 child (ages 12 and 5) from previous relationships. We both owned our own houses (I have a mortgage on mine, she inherited hers from her parents). Because her house is larger and in a better school district, when we decided to live together, my son and I moved into her house and I am selling my house at the end of the year (it needs too many repairs and any rent we got would barely cover the mortgage; I would rather just save the mortgage money myself).

When we decided we were going to get married and combine all of our financial things like bank accounts and stuff, I had her added to the deed to my house, and put her as the beneficiary to my $500,000 life insurance policy, so that she and our sons would not be unnecessarily burdened in case I died.

A few weeks ago, she had a health scare that thankfully turned out to not be very serious, and is much better now.

During that time, I started thinking about what would happen if she died and I had sold my house. With her house being in her name, I don't know what kind of claim I would have to be able to keep living here with our sons. I asked her about adding me to the deed, so that I could be assured of staying here and keeping our boys in their schools and with their friends. I told her that I am willing to take out a loan to buy equity from her, or that I could pay the entirety of the taxes each year (I already pay half). I am not looking for a "free ride".

She told me that her house is all she has to leave to her son, and wasn't going to add me to the deed. When I asked what I was supposed to do if she passed away, she told me that I would be fine, and I could just keep paying the taxes and bills until her son was old enough to live here on his own, at which time my son and I could either leave, or work something out with her son to stay, presumably paying rent or something.

That was the end of the conversation, it was not an argument or anything. I am not really happy with this though.

I would be paying taxes on a property that I will not own, and have the thought in the back of my mind that I and my son (who would be 12 when her son is 18 and presumably take ownership of the house, with the right to tell me to leave) would have to leave at any time. Having grown up homeless at times, and in and out of foster homes, this is stressful for me.

I am not a lawyer, but as far as I can see, without a will, her possessions would go to her closest living family, which would be her son or her brother (her brother would tell me leave immediately, I believe).

As it stands, I feel that if I died, she gets everything that we have, and she can live relatively financially stress free for a while (living in a paid-off house, she can sell my house, and have the life insurance payout). If she died, I feel that my son and I are out on our asses.

I want to make it clear that this is not a "cash grab", and this isn't motivated by greed, I just want to have some kind of assurance of what would happen in the event of one of our deaths, and I feel that I have made sure she and our boys would be okay financially, while she basically shrugged her shoulders and told me I would figure something out.

Also, I want to say that this isn't motivated by retaliation, rather that I feel our current arrangement is massively one-sided, and I'd like to make sure each child is somewhat taken care of if I die.

So, am I a total rear end in a top hat here if I took her off the deed to my house, and had my life insurance changed to a trust for my son? That way the pie is split more evenly, and our boys are entitled to only what their own parents have?

TLDR: I put my fiance's name on all of my assets. She won't do the same for me. Am I doing wrong by taking her name off my assets?

What a rube. Yeah, sure, you can just "take her off the title", no way you'd need her to sign a quit claim or anything.

What was this idiot THINKING about this whole arrangement. The estate planning for blended families is.....delicate. It's delicious to see someone trying to DIY it while obviously not really talking to their partner about any of the important parts.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Motronic posted:

Me [31 M] with my fiance [46 F] 2.5 years, Am I justified in taking her off my house deed and life insurance? [new]
https://old.reddit.com/r/relationships/comments/dafnbg/me_31_m_with_my_fiance_46_f_25_years_am_i/

What a rube. Yeah, sure, you can just "take her off the title", no way you'd need her to sign a quit claim or anything.

What was this idiot THINKING about this whole arrangement. The estate planning for blended families is.....delicate. It's delicious to see someone trying to DIY it while obviously not really talking to their partner about any of the important parts.

Or even being aware that your closest living relative in most states is your spouse.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

BonerGhost posted:

Or even being aware that your closest living relative in most states is your spouse.
He must be having doubts about the marriage actually happening if he is asking about that. Or else she has an existing will that puts all her assets in a trust for her son, and will not change that.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Motronic posted:

I’d like to go ahead and nominate Motronic as the best poster for BWM. Always delivering on that high quality BWM and never starting car-chat/marriage-chat/economy-chat.

:ck5:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

BonerGhost posted:

Yeah, that's kind of bad problem in that if she dies he automatically gets everything unless her will states otherwise. Then he gets remarried to another woman who already has kids and 20 years later dies of a massive heart attack and now the original mom's estate passes to her widower's new wife's family.

The kid who would've inherited his mom's estate now gets nothing. Mixing families requires some very delicate estate planning to avoid a Cinderella situation.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yeah, that's kind of bad problem in that if she dies he automatically gets everything unless her will states otherwise. Then he gets remarried to another woman who already has kids and 20 years later dies of a massive heart attack and now the original mom's estate passes to her widower's new wife's family.

The kid who would've inherited his mom's estate now gets nothing. Mixing families requires some very delicate estate planning to avoid a Cinderella situation.

They're not married :ssh:

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Sirotan posted:

They're not married :ssh:

What do you think fiancee means?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

BonerGhost posted:

What do you think spouse means? Unless it's one of the seven states that recognizes common law marriage, it means jack poo poo w/r/t her estate.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

BonerGhost posted:

It literally means they are not married lol

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Dick Nipples posted:

I’d like to go ahead and nominate Motronic as the best poster for BWM. Always delivering on that high quality BWM and never starting car-chat/marriage-chat/economy-chat.

:ck5:

MOTRONIC FOR MODERATOR
MAKE THE BWM THREAD GREAT AGAIN

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Sneaker equity:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/eyeing-that-sweater-its-yours-in-four-easy-payments-11569672000

quote:

But recently, while browsing a $140 pair of white, pink and green Nikes on the app of footwear retailer StockX, he tapped on an offer from financial-technology upstart Affirm Inc. that let him buy the shoes right away and pay for them over six months. He could have bought the colorful kicks outright, but Mr. Gauthier, who has used Affirm several times, said the $5 the company charged him in total interest was a small price for flexibility to pay over time.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Edit: Ann

whydirt fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 29, 2019

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

OctaMurk posted:

It literally means they are not married lol

He's discussing future circumstances so for the sake of the argument we're assuming they're both married and one or more are still alive.

If they don't get married then he's really hosed because she now owns half his home.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Krispy Wafer posted:

He's discussing future circumstances so for the sake of the argument we're assuming they're both married and one or more are still alive.

If they don't get married then he's really hosed because she now owns half his home.

That's why it's super bad with money though--engagements end all the time.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Krispy Wafer posted:

He basically signed an anti-prenup without anything in return.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/db9zsp/should_i_buy_a_camera_or_car/

quote:

Should I buy a camera or car? (self.personalfinance)

submitted 22 minutes ago * by HugoPPhoto

I have no debt, and nothing urgent to buy.

I'm almost at the point where I can buy the camera I saved up for, but if I continue saving I can get a second hand car for about 5 times the amount the camera is worth.

On one hand, I've been saving up for this camera for a long time, and can really benefit from it. It'll allow me to step up my photography game.

On the other hand, I don't need a camera, and would really like to be able to drive around a bit more.

Point is, I don't need either, but really want both. What would you guys recommend?

Edit: I'm a student, and can walk to and fro my place of residence.

why can't OP just spend their money on booze and take-out like a normal college student. You don't waste your money on hobbies until AFTER you've earned your useless degree.

ranbo das posted:

I took a job cleaning beaches in high school for some pocket cash over the summer. People from Connecticut loved Misquamicut, but goddamn if they didn't trash it. They just dumped all they garbage right on the beach because gently caress it, not my state.

Most beaches it would be poo poo like "oh man here's some beer bottles". Maybe you'd get an entire cooler or baby diapers if it was crazy busy, something like that. Misquamicut? We once found a whole toilet half- buried in the sand. Who brought a toilet to the beach? Why did they try to bury it? Did they poo poo in it before or after they buried it? These questions will haunt me until my dying day.

no, people are just douchebags. I was a cart pusher for a while at a Sam's club in high school and people left the stupidest poo poo in the parking lot. Diapers were the worst, and sadly the most common (even though there were trash cans literally next to the cart corrals, people would still leave diapers in the carts). People would leave random large batteries (not vehicle batteries, like maybe UPS batteries or something), old phone books, once someone left a 8' x 3' x 3' wooden storage bin.

But the weirdest by far was a paper grocery bag full of ashes. Didn't ask questions, just threw it away. Could have been from a grill, could have been evidence... didn't want to know.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

howdoesishotweb posted:

He basically signed an anti-prenup without anything in return.

Except that anti-prenup would have been an unenforceable contract due to lack of consideration. He really showed the legal system who's boss.

I just found out that my mother has a debt of almost 600k euros. (self.personalfinance)

submitted 4 hours ago by duaoah
https://old.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/db8ae1/i_just_found_out_that_my_mother_has_a_debt_of/

quote:

The other day my mother found out that her bank account got suspended, so she called her business consultant to ask about the state of affairs. He told her that she has a debt of almost 600k. We’re now going to ask if we can pay in installments, but that’s just too much money. We cannot pay them even if we pay 120 installments. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

quote:

How did she accumulate 600k in debt?

permalinkembedsavereportgive awardreply

quote:

[–]duaoah

[S] 1 point 3 hours ago
Old taxes that she forgot to pay. It was 15 years ago and now they are back haunting us.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Sep 30, 2019

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Motronic posted:

1 point 3 hours ago
Old taxes that she forgot to pay. It was 15 years ago and now they are back haunting us

:iiam:

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

spwrozek posted:

Why maintain it when you can just build a new one?!?
The owner of the Ambassador Bridge lobbied long and hard and spent a shitton of money trying to block the new bridge that Canada is paying for.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordie_Howe_International_Bridge#Opposition

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

CannonFodder posted:

The owner of the Ambassador Bridge lobbied long and hard and spent a shitton of money trying to block the new bridge that Canada is paying for.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordie_Howe_International_Bridge#Opposition

I know, I was just making jokes.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
they need both bridges for sure, Detroit is like the biggest single point of entry in to the US in terms of value of goods or something crazy like that due to the auto industry and the road haul routes between S. Ontario / Quebec and Chicago / Midwest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

I predict a sneaker mortgage financial crisis.