Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

The Peccadillo posted:

Really is astounding how handily and rapidly it's been made into primarily a Culture War over the past few months, instead of undercurrented by

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Christ, I forgot about this. So stupid.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Amethyst posted:

Christ, I forgot about this. So stupid.

And even they did an episode last season which was basically oh poo poo, ManBearPig is real and really most people knew that all along and were willing pretend otherwise to avoid dealing with it.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Yeah, but one of the three big brush things that got Rudd elected was "I will sign Kyoto, unlike the out of touch Liberals". (The other two were, "I will say sorry to the stolen generation" and "I will kill Workchoice") So at least back then there was a groundswell of people, AND the political will to at least look like you were on the side of fighting against Climate Change.

These days, even though there is a huge popular movement and consensus that Climate Change is real, and we should do 'something' about it, there is no political will to be anywhere near any sort of meaningful action, lest one be called a greenie commo.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
There's also the episode Smug Alert which is another in their series about how while some things might be bad, people who care and try to fix things are worse.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/markhumphries/status/1177178666402365440?s=21

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/Picketer/status/1177380912318664704?s=19

Ad for the AFR or ad for a lovely mobile game?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Senor Tron posted:

And even they did an episode last season which was basically oh poo poo, ManBearPig is real and really most people knew that all along and were willing pretend otherwise to avoid dealing with it.

Manbearpig was confirmed real at the end of the original manbearpig episode wasn't it? I'm not a strong south park defender because my god is it gen x never try poo poo most of the time, but I thought that episode was pretty clear that everyone were being idiots for ignoring it.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

the national party went on to join with the queensland liberal party to become the liberal national party of today. i knew scientifically it was a settled issue and i knew the controversy around it was entirely a creation of capital but i didnt realize the extent of the reversal of opinion on it.
yeah same, it's been a really weird thing where i have this memory of everyone way back in my childhood being all "greenhouse effect! greenhouse effect!" and then those same people just... not talking about it anymore, to the point where i thought it had been fixed until i was old enough to research it myself. all my life i thought i'd actually imagined that part of the early 90s where global warming was established fact. the book goes into meticulous detail about how the resources sector, politicians and the media collaborated to first defuse the issue and then silence it completely, long after everyone knew about what a big deal it was. it's terrifying.

Purk
Aug 9, 2017
Centrelink planning on running another 1.6m robodebt reviews over the next three years. All hail the algorithm.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
And in 'more news to surprise no one', the government's new tax surplus will gently gently caress the poor and benefit the rich.

quote:

Higher tax bills are the dirty secret at the heart of the projected budget surplus

The budget is bouncing out of deficit and is set to stay in surplus for the decade to come.

That's what the April budget and the final budget outcome for 2018-19 tell us, and Thursday's report from the Parliamentary Budget Office doesn't say any different.

It isn't allowed to.
The Parliamentary Budget Office is required to take the government's surplus and deficit projections, economic forecasts and tax and spending decisions as given, whether realistic or not.

What it is allowed to do, and does once a year in a publication entitled medium-term fiscal projections, is to set out the implications of those projections.

Those implications, spelled out on Thursday, show the projected budget surplus to be so fragile as to be unrealistic, except the parts that rely on much higher personal income tax collections.

That's right: much higher income tax collections per person, even after taking into account the coming decade of legislated tax cuts.

The middle fifth of earners will pay far more of their income in tax in ten years' time under the government's projections, according to the PBO's calculations.

Instead of paying 14.9 per cent of their income in tax, by 2028-29 they will pay 18.8 per cent.

It's the same for pattern for the second-lowest fifth of earners.

They will move from paying 5.3 per cent of their income in tax to 9.9 per cent, a near doubling, which is taken is taken into account in the surplus projections.

The second-highest fifth will move from paying 22 per cent of their income in tax to 23.4 per cent, even after the tax cuts.

The bottom fifth, who don't pay much tax, will move from paying 0.6 per cent to 1.2 per cent.

But workers in the top fifth, which at the moment is workers earning above $90,000, won't pay a cent more, at least not on average.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Is this still working under the asumption that middle income wage growth is massively increasing?

Because it isn't.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
As far as I can tell.

Because of the whole "we have to pretend everything the government says is true" rule.

So, it's actually going to be worse*.

* unless you're rich**.

** But, but, but $308,000 isn't rich rich!

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Severely drunk, scratch that

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Sep 27, 2019

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Temporarily Embarrassed Millionaires

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Lid posted:

Temporarily Embarrassed Millionaires

I prefer permanently guillotined ones.

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum
Edit. Thankfully he has been found

RichardA fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 28, 2019

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Sorry I can't help (I'm in NSW) but I hope you find him.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/JayPHell1/status/1177845653948420096

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Oh no

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
X-posting

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
No

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
bitcoin and house prices are the same in that they can only go up Up UP!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
"Is blockchain?"

No.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

"Is blockchain?"

No.

quote:

Betteridge's law of headlines is an adage that states: "Any headline that ends in a question mark can be answered by the word no

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Wrong thred

Big Willy Style fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 29, 2019

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

idgi

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

The okay gesture is a symbol used by white supremacists.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
It makes more sense when you can see the whole image.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Are you posters for real that she's intentionally giving the low down white power ok lol

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It makes more sense when you can see the whole image.

who grasps their child's wrist like that????

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
somehow i dont think a middle aged mum knows about /pol/ memes

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

When I was in school that just meant that you were gay

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar

JBP posted:

Are you posters for real that she's intentionally giving the low down white power ok lol

She's just waving to the crowd, dude

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Wizard Master posted:

When I was in school that just meant that you were gay

You're only gay if you look at it. Alternatively looking at it would let the signaller punch you as hard as they liked. Those were the rules.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

Sometimes I think we left you behind in 2016 dude.

A simpler time, I don't blame you.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm worried about you all

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

JBP posted:

I'm worried about you all

There are a couple of options to explain the picture then.

1) She is a robot impersonating the wife of the prime minister, because what human holds a child's wrist like that.

2) She is flashing a white supremacist sign.

3) She is flashing the sign that says "If you notice this I get to punch you" which hasn't been used outside of primary school ever.

Unless you have a better reason?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

NPR Journalizard posted:

There are a couple of options to explain the picture then.

1) She is a robot impersonating the wife of the prime minister, because what human holds a child's wrist like that.

2) She is flashing a white supremacist sign.

3) She is flashing the sign that says "If you notice this I get to punch you" which hasn't been used outside of primary school ever.

Unless you have a better reason?

She's stood in a canned photo op and was feeling around to hold the kids hand, but ended up looking odd. There's no further "reason" required for this awkward photo.

Like make a fist with your hand but put something in between your index and middle finger to see what happens.

JBP fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
In this instance, JBP is right.