Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Grab the handle with a towel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Grab the handle with a towel.

Not every bathroom has those, a lot are air dryers these days.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Boy I sure do love the first computer ever made, the Pentium II.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

T-man posted:

Boy I sure do love the first computer ever made, the Pentium II.

Computers existed in the 2700s BC dude

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Not every bathroom has those, a lot are air dryers these days.

though if you’re using an air drier it’s kind of moot

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Hollandia has issued a correction as of 23:43 on Sep 28, 2019

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Is it called RichBheadr

feller
Jul 5, 2006

I hope claire campbell realizes how much I a goddamn hack she is but I know she probably thinks she’s an amazing journalist

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug
Glad to see that crypto is finally making its way to timeshares.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
there’s something quite delicious about the idea of representing property ownership by using an exponentially-expanding waste of energy

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

think I'm gonna crosspost myself from ask/tell since this post is probably most appropriately located itt.

describing "penguin digesters" used on the Macquarie Islands, originally invented for processing whale blubber

you pack birds and seals into these tanks:

then pump them full of steam and skim the oil off from the resulting slurry. I don't think anyone ate the end product or anything, instead it was used in the industrial manufacture of twine. the island still has a layer of bone visible in the sand from the couple decades when they were able to melt down up to 3500 penguins a day. At times when coal was short they even burned penguins to run the boilers.

the penguin harvest continued until a Rothschild who was an obsessive birder and ornithologist noticed and got really mad and complained to the authorities in New Zealand and got them to stop.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

The word 'slurry' has never resulted in anything good afaik.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Paladin
Nov 26, 2004
You lost today, kid. But that doesn't mean you have to like it.

Wow the penguin digesters are a considerably smaller than I imagined them to be.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

It'll get used as soon as human lives have less profit potential than a litre of human oil

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

poo poo, you could get considerably more then a litre of oil off me, I'm hosed

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Richard M. Stallman could power that whole thing for weeks.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
The Macquarie Island episode of the Dollop is well worth a listen.

That whole thing was also pretty prescient in its denial of the environmental ramifications from rendering down seals and penguins wholesale. They claimed that the native animal populations were actually increasing.

Hollandia has issued a correction as of 00:57 on Sep 30, 2019

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Hollandia posted:

They claimed that the native animal populations were actually increasing.

"After our environmental activity native wildlife occupies 55% more surface area than before!"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Why is it that the vast majority of public bathrooms in the US have a handle you have to pull in order to leave, instead of being able to push it open?

The answer to most "why are doors that way in a public building" questions is usually "fire codes" or "handicap accessibility" or in this case I think a mixture of both.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Wait why do I have to ask my neighbor to write for a free sample tin :confused:

Do they assume I'm too stupid to write but not too stupid to read or something?

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

it might be like one of those things where only one person has a phone line in the village, except its a post box?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Millennials in Australia don't just put avocado on toast, they fuckin' smash that avocado, presumably with a participation trophy or something

Foxrunsecurity
Aug 10, 2008

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Why is it that the vast majority of public bathrooms in the US have a handle you have to pull in order to leave, instead of being able to push it open?

Fire code, in most cases other than machinery or refrigeration rooms open doors should not obstruct hallways.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Foxrunsecurity posted:

Fire code, in most cases other than machinery or refrigeration rooms open doors should not obstruct hallways.

Also the reason most doors these days have handles rather than knobs is because it's very hard to use a knob with a manipulator if you don't have a hand so they're generally not considered ADA-compliant.

Building codes are neat and I like them cuz I'm a weirdo.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Shame Boy posted:

that is a label from a tin so you already have your free sample and you need to know how to get your neighbor to get their own

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Public bathrooms without automatic doors should always have one of those foot hooks, so you can pull open the door with your foot.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lambert posted:

Public bathrooms without automatic doors should always have one of those foot hooks, so you can pull open the door with your foot.

also, foot-controlled sinks. It's weird that this isn't a common thing already

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

how many times has a human successfully achieved orgasm thinking of charles entertainment cheese do ya think

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Is this the first time you're finding out Charles Entertainment Cheese's full name? Because if so I have another fun fact: his backstory is that he's an orphan who doesn't know his own birthday, so he tries to quell the inner pain by celebrating every other kid's birthday :smith:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shame Boy posted:

Is this the first time you're finding out Charles Entertainment Cheese's full name? Because if so I have another fun fact: his backstory is that he's an orphan who doesn't know his own birthday, so he tries to quell the inner pain by celebrating every other kid's birthday :smith:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shame Boy posted:

Also every time a Chuck E Cheese is shut down they have to violently destroy the head of the mouse costume

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Taintrunner posted:

Also every time a Chuck E Cheese is shut down they have to violently destroy the head of the mouse costume

If you can think of a better way to avoid a Five Nights at Freddy's scenario I'd like to hear it.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Taintrunner posted:

hq put out a press release clarifying that it doesnt have to be a violent destruction just a complete one

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Don't build murder robots that don't get to murder on a regular basis, it's like making a pig that's never exposed to mud.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

T-man posted:

Don't build murder robots that don't get to murder on a regular basis, it's like making a pig that's never exposed to mud.

Hey now, murder pig uniforms are supposed to stay spotless.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Shame Boy posted:

Millennials in Australia don't just put avocado on toast, they fuckin' smash that avocado, presumably with a participation trophy or something

You have to smash it or one of our terrifying animals will try to take it off you.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hollandia posted:

You have to smash it or one of our terrifying animals will try to take it off you.

A friend of mine is currently visiting Australia and before she left she was all excited about seeing koalas "because they're the only animals in Australia that aren't awful or murder machines or both" and I'm like "boy howdy do I have some fun facts about koalas for you buddy!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Tell her about Quokkas