Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Moe_Rahn posted:

I'm pretty sure Johnny Knoxville went longer in the ring against Butterbean than Sean O'Haire or Bart Gunn did.

And Johnny was being knocked into display racks and poo poo because it was done in a department store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

And Johnny was being knocked into display racks and poo poo because it was done in a department store.

that was legit one of their better skits, lol

Butterbean just pounds his rear end all over the store and as they're patching him up "...is butterbean OK?"

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

That Goldberg phone and PS1 memory card are better than any merch I've seen WWE release between the death WCW and now

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

need taht scott steiner shirt like whoa

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
It's awesome that they took everything about the worst gimmick in history and merchandised it. Worst sunglasses ever, and you can own them!

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

It's awesome that they took everything about the worst gimmick in history and merchandised it. Worst sunglasses ever, and you can own them!

Those had to be 90% profit too. They're just straight up hardware store safety glasses

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
I am curious about the contents of that "bonus save"

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

I have that Goldberg memory card somewhere. I think it came with a few bonus characters for Thunder but I have no clue what they were.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I like that Booker has one piece of merchandise, but JJ has half a dozen

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Davros1 posted:

it’s extra rich (for me at least) because I could actually wear the Booker Tee with no more than normal background levels of embarrassment; but expecting me to pay for the privilege of self-labeling as Slap Nuts is a special kind of arrogance imo

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

Davros1 posted:

Well yeah, JJ's the chosen one with all the stroke, duh.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
I wonder how much jeff jerrett merch they sold outside of Tennessee.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

The American Dream posted:

I wonder how much jeff jerrett merch they sold outside of Tennessee.

Let's consult the WCW payroll and contract info dump that came out of that lawsuit

loving lol he probably sold more during his several years in TNA than in WCW

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 29, 2019

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
I really enjoy that they devoted three times the merch space for Jarrett compared with Booker T, Steiner, & Goldberg.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I saw a slap nuts shirt in the wild so I know those merch numbers are legit.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I definitely bought a LISTEN UP SLAPNUTS shirt from TNA when they had that warehouse clearance for I think $4, which in retrospect was a mistake because everyone I hang out with to watch wrestling paid zero attention during any of Jeff Jarrett's main event run and are merely confused rather than annoyed by me wearing it to their home.

Do wrestlers get a cut of the money made when the company is selling stuff at a loss to raise money to pay Nazis and/or Billy Corgan off?

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

overmind2000 posted:

Let's consult the WCW payroll and contract info dump that came out of that lawsuit

loving lol he probably sold more during his several years in TNA than in WCW

So he sold like 200 shirts?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Probably entirely shirts, I don't think anyone was buying Jeff Jarrett bean bag brawlers or autographed photos.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Homer Simpson: Do you still have any slap nuts t shirts?!?!

WCW warehouse guy: Yeah, a couple.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

overmind2000 posted:

Probably entirely shirts, I don't think anyone was buying Jeff Jarrett bean bag brawlers or autographed photos.

Or "Slapnuts Blvd." Street signs

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Angry_Ed posted:

I, a grown man, would happily and proudly own a Slapnuts Blvd. sign.

WWF was missing a trick by not selling Jabroni Drive, and Know-You-Role Boulevard signs. (Which, as we all know is the corner upon which the Smackdown Hotel is located.)

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Angry_Ed posted:

I want a Slapnuts Blvd sign

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WCW-Slapnuts-Blvd-Street-Sign-Good-Condition-Little-Faded-Thats-About-It-/233114668748

we mock this merch but if we'd been savvy we'd be making amazing amounts of bank off it these days.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

I think the WCW contracts were much less favorable wrt merchandise than WWE.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

62k and 75k for the year in base pay seems shockingly low for a WCW guy even at the lowest level

Then again it was before and after the boom

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

62k and 75k for the year in base pay seems shockingly low for a WCW guy even at the lowest level

Then again it was before and after the boom

He spent the majority of both of those years in the WWF.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

DJExile posted:

Those had to be 90% profit too. They're just straight up hardware store safety glasses
I think the reason hardware store safety glasses look like that now is because it was and still is a popular style of sunglasses for suburban rednecks and hotdognecks.

I worked construction for several years and always avoided wearing JJ wraparound piss lenses.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
That 75k in 1999 was for less than 3 months.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Oh Dang I should have known Jarrett was better than that at getting paid

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Oh Dang I should have known Jarrett was better than that at getting paid

Ain’t he great.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

coconono posted:

I saw a slap nuts shirt in the wild so I know those merch numbers are legit.

I remember seeing them and hearing the phrase right before I started getting into wrestling so it was definitely out there among middle school kids who loved the word nuts

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
https://youtu.be/N_ORMwh3uHo

I've been diving into old Jericho stuff and whoa. The late 90s WCW-Jericho had immense creativity.

He is truly a GOAT.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
can't be on the GOAT list if you're not a big draw, which Jericho never was.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Randaconda posted:

can't be on the GOAT list if you're not a big draw, which Jericho never was.

He just sold out five shows in a row!

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Imagine arguing Jericho was never a draw

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Alaois posted:

Imagine arguing Jericho was never a draw

who said that? i said to be on the GOAT list, you had to be a big draw, which he wasn't, unless we have differing definitions of big draw

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
He’s not a big draw for AEW?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Aesop Poprock posted:

He’s not a big draw for AEW?

unless he's pulling Rock/Austin/Hogan/Bruno numbers, you can't put him on the list with guys who presence meant much, much more to a card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
"Was never a big draw" is such a lovely, disingenuous argument. Nobody's ever a big draw unless the Booker/Promoter puts them in a position to be the big draw.

All you have to do is look at Jericho, Austin, Foley, Eddie Guerrero. All of them were completely wasted in WCW and were never "big draws" there, and never would have been for reasons that have literally nothing to do with their talent or ability.

The draw argument is just a lazy justification for politicking shitheads like Hogan, Nash and HHH to pretend they got away with their more egregious bullshit due to merit. Hogan's a bit of a special case because he likely (almost certainly) would have been just as big of a deal if he wasn't a gaping rear end in a top hat.