Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Youth Decay posted:

In New Orleans it really makes sense because traditional shotgun house layouts can be awkward.

In this example would the office or living room be front of the house?

I sort of like the idea of turning the office into a street-side studio and art gallery, and being able to close off the rest of my home to the public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Brawnfire posted:

I sort of like the idea of turning the office into a street-side studio and art gallery, and being able to close off the rest of my home to the public.

I believe the living room is the front, but imo if you flip the labels you accomplish the same thing and then I think the flow of the house is better too. I'd much rather have a larger studio/workspace than living room personally, however.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Agreed. I've always had a dream of a setup where I had a public "store" and a private "home" area, so I could just work where people can come and check out what I'm doing. This setup is ideal, or a lofted space or the Bob's Burgers setup would be amazing.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Brawnfire posted:

Agreed. I've always had a dream of a setup where I had a public "store" and a private "home" area, so I could just work where people can come and check out what I'm doing. This setup is ideal, or a lofted space or the Bob's Burgers setup would be amazing.

When I were a kid our local barber was a regular house where they'd knocked through the walls downstairs and put a door at the bottom of the stairs and a big glass window up front, so they'd live upstairs and work downstairs. I think that's fairly common with shops.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Brawnfire posted:

ah so a minecraft rp house

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Brawnfire posted:

Stoudtburg Village in PA was built around this concept.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Brawnfire posted:

Kitchens are almost always at the back of shotgun houses. Keeps things cooler that way. That looks like one side of a shotgun double.

I for one think all listings should have floorplans. Maybe because I live in New Orleans, but too many houses are just impossible to understand from realtor pictures alone. I usually assume that if there is no floorplan in the listing, there's going to be something bizarre about the layout.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Brawnfire posted:

*sigh* One day...

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Small shops attached to/inside houses are very common outside of suburban America's horrible zoning tiers.
Luxury condos above retail space are a start, but not great for family businesses.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I think I found PRADA SLUT's Icelandic relatives. I dig the apartment, but question the placement of the second bathtub. No photo available of the bathroom, so I'm not sure the reason for bedside bathtubs or what the toilet situation is like. Those lights and the hanging desk is pretty sweet. Also, four entire computer screens? Sure, why not. There's no awful cables, either, which I like. The one thing I don't like is that there's apparently no door to the bedroom. I really require being closed off from the rest of the apartment. Give me my cave, dang it.

Apartment in Reykjavík / Iceland © S.Tsimbalyuk via: https://utwo.tumblr.com/post/188016781654

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That’s awesome

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

supervillian sneering intensifies

PS is there more lighting in the kitchen?? Reykjavik only gets 5 hours of sunlight in winter.

peanut fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Sep 30, 2019

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I find it impossible to believe that those suspended desks and tables don't wabble

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Disappointed the chairs aren't on tracks in the ceiling, poor roomba thought it had a clear run.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
just lol if your bedroom isn't at least a 5.11a

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

It reminds me of all the apartments in Mass Effect.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

"value-bran posted:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

So in the US you pay for both selling and buying agents and neither of them manages to do a floor plan? How many % do they take?

:thermidor:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

3-4% each is typical

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

knox_harrington posted:

So in the US you pay for both selling and buying agents and neither of them manages to do a floor plan? How many % do they take?

:thermidor:

The seller pays usually 6% to their agent. If the buyer has an agent, it doesn’t usually cost them anything out of pocket. The buyer’s agent and the seller’s agent split the 6% commission between them. For some reason, lots of buyers don’t use agents even though they are free, so often the seller’s agent keeps the whole 6%.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
If you are in a market where houses move, you should always twist your realtor's arm for 5%. If he/she won't take it, someone else will.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

The seller pays usually 6% to their agent. If the buyer has an agent, it doesn’t usually cost them anything out of pocket. The buyer’s agent and the seller’s agent split the 6% commission between them. For some reason, lots of buyers don’t use agents even though they are free, so often the seller’s agent keeps the whole 6%.

In our area, if you buy without a realtor, you keep your half of the 6%

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Getting some Overlook hotel vibes from those curtains.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I was so distracted by figuring out where the screen for the projector was supposed to go that I jumped when I saw the statue? The figure? The lady, I assume, due to the giant purple badonkadonks on the torso.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Welcome to Interior Design Dread- 31 days of horror houses and spooky spaces in honor of the Dark Lord. Remember all things die, all things decay, but bad taste is forever! And with that in mind we begin with a room we have all smoked weed in if we hung out with a goth girl in college.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
anyone with a couch like that turns into a cursed weasel in the sack

10/10 would

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

hm, I guess I'll just knock instead then

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
No ring.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Exterior design?

Mad pinstagram credit:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

MetaJew posted:

No ring.

Maybe the wifi's bad.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

there wolf posted:

Welcome to Interior Design Dread- 31 days of horror houses and spooky spaces in honor of the Dark Lord. Remember all things die, all things decay, but bad taste is forever! And with that in mind we begin with a room we have all smoked weed in if we hung out with a goth girl in college.

If you have floor tiles like that and you want a goth room, you're fighting a losing battle.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

My Lovely Horse posted:

If you have floor tiles like that and you want a goth room, you're fighting a losing battle.

Those tiles make cleaning up after the ritual sacrifice somewhat easier.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

toplitzin posted:

Those tiles make cleaning up after the ritual sacrifice somewhat easier.

Charcoal grout would help with that but I think that grout in the pic just hasnt been cleaned

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

PRADA SLUT posted:

hm, I guess I'll just knock instead then

The rest of this structure is in Belgium.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

wesleywillis posted:

Exterior design?

Mad pinstagram credit:

more like buttler

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

there wolf posted:

The rest of this structure is in Belgium.

ahhhahahah holy poo poo. I want to meet the weirdo who made it. I love people with that big anus energy

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Not sure if this thread is the best place for possible design ideas, but I'm not very good at it, so looking to get some thoughts on my bathroom that desperately needs updating.

Here it is, in all it's 70's glory:

Thought I had more/better photos, but I guess not.

I've taken down the curtains and obviously removed that old bathmat...and, I'm sad to say, the Kitty Cat toilet lid is also gone. I also took off the Dixie cup dispenser and removed those sunflower accent pieces on the tiles...they aren't tiles themselves, just little metal covers that were glued on. A 5-in-1 painter's tool and some Goof Off took care of them nicely.

I'm not planning on doing anything with the tub. It's a relatively new Bathfitter's install...is it great? No...very plain, but it's not in bad shape. Clean, and I removed and replaced all the caulking and it's functional. I also don't want to re-do the tiles on the wall. They're in ok shape, I scrubbed them all clean, only 1 of them is busted (one of the ones hidden behind those sunflower covers.)

Mostly, I'm looking for ideas for the floor, paint colors, vanity/sink, medicine cabinet...which, BTW, is right now the only source of light in there...it has 2* florescent lights on either side of it. I don't need the replacement to have lights, I can just wire up lights on the side/above it instead...only real problem is doing it in a way that's not violating electrical code...

I'm thinking I want to do a dark tile for the floor...I've looked at some black/dark grey hexagon tiles but haven't found ones that aren't (IMO) crazy expensive...why does a tile go from ~$1-1.50/sq ft to $6-7/sq ft because it's hexagon instead of square?

But I feel the dark color floor would pop nicely against the bright white tub/shower area (not seen, but very white.) And then maybe a blue-ish color for the top half of the wall? But after that I'm lost...I don't know anything about "styles" of things like vanities and medicine cabinets/mirrors, other than a vague idea about a more modern vs a more comtemporary style. I'm asuming if I DO want to do dark (and possibly hexagon) tiles, I'd want a more modern feel, right? Which might be a vanity that's either on legs (as opposed to all the way down to the floor, like what's there now) or possibly even floating? My drain and water inlets are all on the wall, so that is a possibility.

Any and all ideas welcome, and the best idea gets that Kitty toilet lid as a prize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
This is the place. We give out advice in between posting weird stuff.

How much storage do you need in there, because the first thing I'd do is try and get more space by knocking out that over-the-toilet cabinet, and swapping the vanity for something either completely open, or at least up on legs. I wouldn't go floating because...well, it's an old bathroom and it's going to remain an old bathroom unless you gut it all the way to the studs. You're better off leaning into the vintage feel with your renovation.

Something like this where you have a small, intricate pattern on the floor tile, an open vanity, and a fairly neutral paint color would modernize the space and make the room feel bigger without making the shape or existing fixtures feel anachronistic. If you're opening up the wall for new electrical fixtures anyway, how about putting a built-in medicine cabinet behind a mirror for more storage?