Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

playing archer or lovely grenadier isn't fun. There are better games for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timn
Mar 16, 2010
This game is made for messing around with goofy gimmicks, but like anything else it's not going to be if you have a crummy attitude a bout it.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

playing archer or lovely grenadier isn't fun. There are better games for that.

I enjoy it, so to each their own.

PS: Naked Zweihander zipping about the battlefield is broken. Just went 42 and 24 and I wasn't even trying hard. I'd keep lopping heads off of dudes I wasn't even really focusing on. Just change my swing direction to get other enemies in my sweep and I was racking up 2ish kills before I'd die and repeat. I went this build with maybe 8 minutes left of the map, and before that I was loving around as battleaxe man. The reach is so long that if you're stuck in an engagement with 1 guy, chances are you'll nab a head off of someone's shoulders a good few paces away and boost your health a bit.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
guywithathrowingspearinhisheadsayswhat

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Parachute posted:

guywithathrowingspearinhisheadsayswhat

oh, did i just...?

heh...

sorry.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Qubee posted:

You don't have to be good to do well and have fun.

I agree, and I have my own stupid gimmick builds I mess around with. But it only works to an extent. Like, I don't expect to be dominating the game on the top of a scoreboard or anything, but I do like to have at least some taste of success with actual fighting and not just get dunked on for hours on end.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Nordick posted:

I agree, and I have my own stupid gimmick builds I mess around with. But it only works to an extent. Like, I don't expect to be dominating the game on the top of a scoreboard or anything, but I do like to have at least some taste of success with actual fighting and not just get dunked on for hours on end.

And that is exactly why I was excited to have a goon server - too bad no one was ever on and the idea got abandoned :smith: I'd love to play with people that aren't sperglords, or at least that they don't abuse their sperglordiness to dunk on you for hours on end but try to help you play better.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Part of my frustration is because I know what I'm doing wrong but I just can't help it; I keep falling for feints and morphs over and over and over again, and no matter how hard I try I can't suppress my reflex to hit block when I see the enemy's weapon move. Well, I can when I make a conscious effort, but I can't keep that up for longer than a couple encounters and then it's back to panic blocking like a chump.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Like with any activity, at a certain point you have to intentionally train your behavior to undo bad habits and replace them with good ones. For Mordhau that might mean setting up a 1v1 with a bot and having focused practice sessions on one skill at a time until you've retrained your reactions to do the right thing.

Some people get a lot of fun and satisfaction out of that kind of personal skill building, but you may or may not. You're certainly not under any obligation to spend your leisure time that way if it's not fun for you.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

Nordick posted:

Part of my frustration is because I know what I'm doing wrong but I just can't help it; I keep falling for feints and morphs over and over and over again, and no matter how hard I try I can't suppress my reflex to hit block when I see the enemy's weapon move. Well, I can when I make a conscious effort, but I can't keep that up for longer than a couple encounters and then it's back to panic blocking like a chump.

If you arent doing it already, it might help to play ranked duels. You will (eventually) play against people your skill level, and the lack of Maul Flankers will let you focus on your mechanics a bit more

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Chambering deals with feint spam, but it's a high learning curve.

I feel like if an opponent feints late enough correctly on most weapons, then there's no way to react with block or inaction in a way that covers both him feinting and not feinting.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Most annoying part about this game is I have most of the mechanics down to a pretty high standard, but during play, I'll just completely forget about it and be sat in a silly duel where we're just attack / blocking for ever, and the entire time I'm telling myself "there's so much I can do to get out of this" but I still just sit there doing the basic stuff. Between deaths, I'll usually force myself to focus on one mechanic (feint attacks, or morph attacks. or parry into kicks etc), and that's fun, but then I'm back to just playing basically cause it's the easiest.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Ristolaz posted:

Maul Flankers

Didn't she get whacked by a t-shirt gun?

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
450 hours in, and I still remember the pain of flinching every time someone moved their weapon (or wiggled sideways to simulate moving their weapon). All I can say is, eventually you do get comfortable just waiting and watching the attack animations, but it just takes time. But remember, blocking isn't the only method of mitigating oncoming attacks, so even if you think an attack is coming, blocking shouldn't be your go-to move anyway. As someone else mentioned, learning to chamber (especially thrust attacks because it's way easier) will help you start to break the habit, because you'll have to watch for what the attack is before you choose whether to block it or throw out a thrust of your own. Kind of like Sekiro, where there are a few different kinds of attacks and just holding block like you would in dark souls just fucks you over, focusing on the proper move instead of panic blocking is going to help you stop the cycle of block block block die. Also, you should get comfortable taking a hit. My lady has a bad habit of blocking AFTER she's just been hit, which, guess what, just makes her take another hit. The game gifts you some HP when you kill a guy, so don't let getting hit psyche you out. And if you start using bloodlust, you can shrug off even more damage as long as you get that kill in the end. But as someone who ends up at the top of the board in virtually every game, the feeling of being able to handle pretty much any situation frontline throws at you, including 2v1s and 3v1s, and coming out on top, is well worth the frustration on the front end. We all start as peasant fodder for the more experienced players. It's a slow climb but that skill ceiling is ridiculously high.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Movement is key too. I've panic blocked a fair few times, but keeping an eye on the terrain gives a huge advantage. If they're slightly higher up than me, I know I can easily duck most side swings (unless they're experienced and can fix their attack to still hit me). The amount of times ducks have saved my life, you wouldn't believe (I still think the ducking mechanic needs some inertia added to it, too many fully armoured guys able to instantly pop a squat, it's silly). If I can't duck cause I'll still get hit, doing a 180 and sprinting back a few steps is sometimes enough to throw their aim off. I want to start practicing jumping to mitigate damage, say if they're going to get a head shot, I'd rather jump and give them my chest.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

SplitSoul posted:

Didn't she get whacked by a t-shirt gun?

Brb changing my name to Superintendent Chambers

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Ristolaz posted:

Brb changing my name to Superintendent Chambers

well skinner, you're an dung-covered peasant, but i must admit you're not half-bad

chamberchat: I still have trouble chamber-morphing, and I'm not sure how to get better at it. The chamber part is easy enough, but by the time I realized that the chamber attempt actually worked, my timing for the morph is too late (seems like the morph attempt doesn't register and the opponent just chambers my chamber.

also, with weapons like the rapier, even if I do chamber into a morph, it seems like their subesquent thrust is still faster than my chamber-morph...

timn
Mar 16, 2010

Dungeon Ecology posted:

chamberchat: I still have trouble chamber-morphing, and I'm not sure how to get better at it. The chamber part is easy enough, but by the time I realized that the chamber attempt actually worked, my timing for the morph is too late (seems like the morph attempt doesn't register and the opponent just chambers my chamber.

also, with weapons like the rapier, even if I do chamber into a morph, it seems like their subesquent thrust is still faster than my chamber-morph...

For the first bit, you need to hit your next attack button to morph pretty much as soon as you hear the sound of your weapon colliding with your opponent's from the chamber. The chamber itself comes out so fast you don't have any time to wait.

On the second, this probably depends on the relative speed of the weapons involved, but I expect it's only possible in the most extreme cases. If nothing else, you can morph into a kick to screw up their rythym and give you breathing room to try something else.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

The timing window on morphing is much sooner and shorter than the timing window on feinting.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

It's laughable (and a tiny bit broken) that a single blacksmith hammer wielding toolbox guy can successfully keep 10 dudes at bay by barricading the only entrance to the warden orgy dungeon with 3 barricades, and just strafing and hammering each one. Took us a few minutes to actually get through, and I think about 4 of us died to team damage. Then we finally break through and someone threw a fire pot into our midst (from our team's side) and teamkilled a few of us

Stringbean
Aug 6, 2010
I've made a class for those moments, Fireproof, firebomb, whichever armor weapon layout you feel comfortable with. Firebomb barricades and just stand in the fire swinging.

have you seen my baby
Nov 22, 2009

New balance patch seems good.

quote:

Miss combos no longer have lunge
Is huge since it kills the braindead simple war axe eternal combo with bloodlust strategy

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

have you seen my baby posted:

New balance patch seems good.

Is huge since it kills the braindead simple war axe eternal combo with bloodlust strategy

Thank god. I'm not huge on the Bloodlust hate but its interaction with that particular weapon was nuts.

I'm kind of surprised they haven't touched the messer, though. That weapon is flat out disgusting.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I like the changes but honestly I'm not getting back to it until they add new maps. I will puke if I have to play any of the basic 4 maps yet again, I believe it is by far the game's worst weakness now.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
There seems to be a new meta among some of the tryhards where they wiggle and jiggle their character while feinting. It makes it impossible to keep a track of their weapon or swing, and it gets me every time.

Qubee posted:

It's laughable (and a tiny bit broken) that a single blacksmith hammer wielding toolbox guy can successfully keep 10 dudes at bay by barricading the only entrance to the warden orgy dungeon with 3 barricades, and just strafing and hammering each one. Took us a few minutes to actually get through, and I think about 4 of us died to team damage. Then we finally break through and someone threw a fire pot into our midst (from our team's side) and teamkilled a few of us

Thats why need a class with either an axe with the 50% dmg increase agaisnt structures, or a firepot handy. Firepots eat barricades for breakfast.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

GyverMac posted:

Thats why need a class with either an axe with the 50% dmg increase agaisnt structures, or a firepot handy. Firepots eat barricades for breakfast.

I made a fire mage character with a staff, two firepots, and a red robe/hat as a joke but it actually sees a lot of use when the barricades start coming up.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Firepot guys counter engys engys counter normal players normal players counter archers archers counter firepot guys

balanced

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Firepots are all well and good until you get engineers in small spaces like doorways with fireproof, smith, and heavy handaxe, and if they are real organized, smokepots :v:

Thankfully since the invasion release the huge stacking of engineers has died down as people realised the game is too hard without zwei/spear and went back to that

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Captainicus posted:

Firepots are all well and good until you get engineers in small spaces like doorways with fireproof, smith, and heavy handaxe, and if they are real organized, smokepots :v:

I've done this, too. Back when you could still photobomb the character select screen on Crossroads I used an engineer with that exact loadout, including the smoke bomb, to block off the screen with barricades and fight off anyone who tried to stop me.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

TorakFade posted:

I like the changes but honestly I'm not getting back to it until they add new maps. I will puke if I have to play any of the basic 4 maps yet again, I believe it is by far the game's worst weakness now.

Personally I'd say all the racists is this game's worst weakness but that's me

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Played Mordhau tonight with some buds.

Lotta racism in that there chat.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Personally I'd say all the racists is this game's worst weakness but that's me

Chomp8645 posted:

Played Mordhau tonight with some buds.

Lotta racism in that there chat.

US or EU? I'm in EU and don't really see this many racists ... but honestly I barely look at the chat while playing, I am here to smash heads and remove limbs, not to read what random retards from the internet write in chat.

I believe you can remove/hide chat completely from the settings menu, and since it has absolutely zero impact on gameplay considering you don't really need to communicate anything (and even if you did, typing in chat in a frantic melee game where rounds last mere minutes isn't the way to do it), just do it and let the racists scream into the void :)

Also apparently now you can cut down trees in Taiga and make extra bridges : https://www.reddit.com/r/Mordhau/comments/da8po1/you_can_cut_down_trees_to_make_a_bridge_now/ (sorry for reddit link, can't figure out how to get a direct link to the video)

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Sure but that doesn't stop the fact that the game like actively harbors those racists and doesn't change anything. That's an extremely weak response.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I have an Arab name ingame (abbreviated, not even the full thing) and the amount of times I've been called out for being a sand monkey / terrorist / pedophile for literally just being in the server lobby. Almost always after I trounce a dude in a fight and he starts poo poo talking in chat, then other people hop on the band wagon. Supposedly managed to get a dude permabanned by reporting it on the Mordhau discord, but I'm not sure if it actually happened or if devs just said it to make it seem like they're being proactive.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Ended up uninstalling this the other night. Not that I dislike the game, but the community in my part of the world sucks all the fun out of it.

Australian pubbies are the worst.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Bloody Pom posted:

Australian pubbies are the worst.

Very true. The only reason you don't see more hitlers is that he isn't known for wearing armor and a helmet so they'd die too fast.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Captainicus posted:

Very true. The only reason you don't see more hitlers is that he isn't known for wearing armor and a helmet so they'd die too fast.

:eyepop:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I no joke had to mute about ten people in one server in the space of five minutes for using the n-word like punctuation :fuckoff:

It doesn't help that the worst offenders are the ones who apparently play with a loving IV drip for hydration, so you can't even mash them with a big loving hammer because they've transplanted their crazy twirling Chivalry bullshit to this game.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
hey guys can you still wildly swing your torso up and down and morph strikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

queef anxiety posted:

hey guys can you still wildly swing your torso up and down and morph strikes

I assume the intent of this question is 'can you do that to make it impossible to read attacks' and the answer is yes. If they ever do a big nerf to morphing and dragability (there's an ingame stat for this, they could decrease that by a number across the board and force everyone to aim their attacks much more directly) I'll eat my hat. I hate that kind of stuff but if they haven't done anything by now I don't think it is going anywhere