Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I looked up Katakuri's age to see if I could make a joke about him being Luffy's uncle, but it turns out he was 10 when Garp fought Big Mom.

But I did learn that that was exactly how old he was in the flashback with Brulee. He was feeling bad about his sister getting beat up at the same time as Garp and Roger were wrecking his mother's crew.

Must have had an interesting childhood.

scary ghost dog posted:

its dumber for the history of pirates in one piece to begin with roger.....there were always going to be pirates that preceded him and its cool to learn about the crew that kaidou, big mom, whitebeard and shiki were on
Exactly. This chapter owns not because Rocks is strong, wow woah. It owns because we know who Kaidou, Big Mom, and Whitebeard are. They're all practically forces of nature. Power level stuff in One Piece is so well defined that there's over 20 years of weight behind how powerful they feel. And now, holy poo poo, they were all on the same crew? And, holy poo poo, Garp and Roger beat them!? This is the group that inspired Blackbeard the way Roger inspired Luffy!

Who cares about Rocks, he's just a focus for so many incredibly meaningful things snapping together all at once. Like a satisfying puzzle.

It owns and this sense of meaning and history is something Oda has only managed to cultivate with a ton of discipline. There aren't many stories out there that can wait two decades of buildup to dump such meaningful lore that fits so well with the world. You'd expect a story like this to be dumping out superlatives after the first decade or so, but no, Oda waited this long to give us this context.

If someone shows up to make all this look small, that would be bullshit (without an amazing story to go with it), but this much is just bringing together what we already know and it's great.

Edit: Like, the exact value of Roger's bounty is probably an asspull. The bounties have always been excitingly large numbers compared to what we've heard before. So who cares about bounties right?

But this is loving Roger's bounty. This is it. This is the end of the yardstick. We've seen the whole thing. There will be no more asspulls. It's all set in stone now.

I think that's really cool actually. We've had that endgame feeling for a while now, actually fighting the monstrous Yonko, but the bounty reveal is another element of that sense that the top of the world is in sight.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Sep 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Important to note that piracy was clearly a thing before Roger became pirate king as he was one but he set off the golden age of pirates which is still ongoing

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Eiba posted:

I looked up Katakuri's age to see if I could make a joke about him being Luffy's uncle, but it turns out he was 10 when Garp fought Big Mom.

But I did learn that that was exactly how old he was in the flashback with Brulee. He was feeling bad about his sister getting beat up at the same time as Garp and Roger were wrecking his mother's crew.

Must have had an interesting childhood.

Exactly. This chapter owns not because Rocks is strong, wow woah. It owns because we know who Kaidou, Big Mom, and Whitebeard are. They're all practically forces of nature. Power level stuff in One Piece is so well defined that there's over 20 years of weight behind how powerful they feel. And now, holy poo poo, they were all on the same crew? And, holy poo poo, Garp and Roger beat them!? This is the group that inspired Blackbeard the way Roger inspired Luffy!

Who cares about Rocks, he's just a focus for so many incredibly meaningful things snapping together all at once. Like a satisfying puzzle.

It owns and this sense of meaning and history is something Oda has only managed to cultivate with a ton of discipline. There aren't many stories out there that can wait two decades of buildup to dump such meaningful lore that fits so well with the world. You'd expect a story like this to be dumping out superlatives after the first decade or so, but no, Oda waited this long to give us this context.

If someone shows up to make all this look small, that would be bullshit (without an amazing story to go with it), but this much is just bringing together what we already know and it's great.

Edit: Like, the exact value of Roger's bounty is probably an asspull. The bounties have always been excitingly large numbers compared to what we've heard before. So who cares about bounties right?

But this is loving Roger's bounty. This is it. This is the end of the yardstick. We've seen the whole thing. There will be no more asspulls. It's all set in stone now.

I think that's really cool actually. We've had that endgame feeling for a while now, actually fighting the monstrous Yonko, but the bounty reveal is another element of that sense that the top of the world is in sight.

Rogers bounty is 5.5b bc 5.6 is what Luffy's will be and thats Go Mu(tsu).

Kild fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 28, 2019

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
yeah its neat to see the bounty ceiling. kind of feels like this whole comic is entering its final act which is very satisfying

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
We still need to see Elbaf though and...sight....Im just not ready for One Piece to end. It feels like the End of an Era.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
That they took care to specify no pirate had a bounty higher than Roger's, until we get Luffy's final one at least, means Dragon absolutely has to be higher.

Ubiquitus posted:

Given the bounties now, I'm interested to see what dragon's is. He's been described as the most dangerous man

I'd put it somewhere around the 6-7 billion mark, considering Roger's was "only" 5.5 billion.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Kild posted:

Rogers bounty is 5.5b bc 5.6 is what Luffy's will be and thats Go Mu(tsu).

Oda does it again, etc

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

imo the emperors should be letting people turn them over to the marines and collect on that bounty and then just bust outta jail because they're emperors

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

doomrider7 posted:

We still need to see Elbaf though and...sight....Im just not ready for One Piece to end. It feels like the End of an Era.

Well it's One Piece and running on Oda time so one piece ending is on a time scale of like another 10 years minimum

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

DizzyBum posted:

One Piece is a manga where none of the main characters show up for a few chapters and it still ends up being goddamn amazing. I love it.

:yeah:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Ubiquitus posted:

Given the bounties now, I'm interested to see what dragon's is. He's been described as the most dangerous man

Considering his epithet as "The World's Most Wanted Man", I'm going to guess around 10 billion berries. He's technically not a pirate, so it'd make sense he'd have a higher bounty than even Roger. Rocks actually seems sort of similar in this regard, ie directly attacking the World Government instead of just pirate stuff.

doomrider7 posted:

All good things must come to an end, my friend. That's much better than the alternative of running it into the ground and ruining its potential legacy. Just enjoy the ride, it'll likely be another 5-10 great years to wrap things up anyways! :haw:

U-DO Burger posted:

imo the emperors should be letting people turn them over to the marines and collect on that bounty and then just bust outta jail because they're emperors

If they weren't selfish people doing as they please, they wouldn't be pirates. That self-sacrificing lame stuff is for heroes.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 28, 2019

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~

rannum posted:

Well it's One Piece and running on Oda time so one piece ending is on a time scale of like another 10 years minimum

It'd better be more like 10 years maximum.

The race between the end of the world and the end of One Piece is something I've unironically thought about LMAO

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Jose posted:

Important to note that piracy was clearly a thing before Roger became pirate king as he was one but he set off the golden age of pirates which is still ongoing

Yeah, Brook in particular is a pirate who was active and a veteran when Roger was a rookie.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

One Piece will end before Hunter x Hunter reaches its next arc

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
If a beri is equivalent to the Yen then it looks like bringing in a yonko tier target is worth somewhere between 22 to 55 million american dollars. It feels... sorta low considering the kind of trouble anyone would probably have to go through.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Caidin posted:

If a beri is equivalent to the Yen then it looks like bringing in a yonko tier target is worth somewhere between 22 to 55 million american dollars. It feels... sorta low considering the kind of trouble anyone would probably have to go through.

Osama only had like a 25 million bounty.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
o-tama brought up ace way back in the start of the arc and im still waiting for something about that

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

U-DO Burger posted:

We know Kaidou, at least, has been captured by his enemies on multiple occasions. So maybe he has done that.

Emperors other than Kaidou probably wouldn’t risk that because the Marines could just kill them instead of imprisoning them.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Kild posted:

Osama only had like a 25 million bounty.

Osama D. Laden

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
The marines seem to think it's better to put people in level 6 of impel down instead of killing them most of the time. Didn't work out too well for them. Maybe they'll change that policy now.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
It could be a method of containing devil fruit powers in one place, rather than just let the fruit pop up somewhere they can't quickly find and get to whenever they execute a power holder.

Also, would be further evidence Roger wasn't a devil fruit user.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Kerning Chameleon posted:

It could be a method of containing devil fruit powers in one place, rather than just let the fruit pop up somewhere they can't quickly find and get to whenever they execute a power holder.

That's probably part of their reasoning, yeah. I don't think they would hesitate to kill an Emperor if they had the chance, though. They seemed to be going for the kill against Whitebeard (not to mention killing Ace).

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Silver2195 posted:

That's probably part of their reasoning, yeah. I don't think they would hesitate to kill an Emperor if they had the chance, though. They seemed to be going for the kill against Whitebeard (not to mention killing Ace).

I mean, the whole reason for Ace's execution being public knowledge at Marineford was to lure Whitebeard in so they could assassinate him in the midst of the battle (and hopefully kill all his sons, too). Doing so cost them more troops and resources than anything since...fighting the Rock Pirates, it seems, now.

So, yeah, the Marines would loving love to kill all the Emperors, they just don't think it's feasible.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

:retrogames: :3: :retrogames:

Pork Pro

Violen posted:

It'd better be more like 10 years maximum.

The race between the end of the world and the end of One Piece is something I've unironically thought about LMAO

More like lol if you haven’t thought about this

Mayor D. McCheese

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Nah, Roger was a symbol. They probably hoped that publicly executing him would reduce the number of pirates but he turned it against them. I imagine they’d do the same thing with an Emperor.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

RatHat posted:

Nah, Roger was a symbol. They probably hoped that publicly executing him would reduce the number of pirates but he turned it against them. I imagine they’d do the same thing with an Emperor.

Yeah, the WG is big on making examples like that which usually backfire. The whole Paramount War was not only a public execution of Ace but an attempt to lure Whitebeard into a similar public defeat, which while technically succeeding was obviously an even worse Pyrric victory.

It really seems like the WG is inherently unsustainable despite their size and might because their policy of refusing to recognise any other legitimate rule is what enables pirates to rule pretty much everything the Marines aren't directly occupying and some places they are. And not to mention pretty much everyone hating the Celestial Dragons. Seems like they might have moved from God Valley after the defeat of Rocks to Marejois as a more defensible position. (and even that didn't protect them from Fisher Tiger)

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

That's a good point.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
By the way, the extra digits on the bounties of the Yonko and Roger are puns:

Big Mom's bounty is 4,388,000,000. 88 (8 is ha) = haha = mother

Kaido's bounty is 4,611,100,000. 100 (hyaku) and 10(ju) = hyakuju = Beasts. The extra 1 might mean #1.

Whitebeard's bounty is 5,046,000,000. 4 (shi) + 6 (ro) = shiro = white

Gol D. Roger's bounty is 5,564,800,000. (6=ro 4=ji 8=ya), so 648 sounds like roger.

Similarly Shanks's bounty is 4,048,900,000 (4=shi 8=ya 9=ku), which kinda sounds like shanks, though this might be a bit of a stretch

Then there's prediction about Luffy's final bounty going to be 5,600,000,000 because 56 = Gomu (5 = Go, 6 = Mu). :allears:

Julias fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 29, 2019

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I hate this

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Pun are better than it just being arbitrary, which is what it felt like before, so this is better. Even the marines are admitting it's mostly arbitrary.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Countblanc posted:

I hate this

I don't

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Countblanc posted:

I hate this

Same but im not suprised when every single SBS has 14 letters that are like birthdays based on name/number puns

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ghost Leviathan posted:

(and even that didn't protect them from Fisher Tiger)

Well it did. Tiger was just an escaped Slave.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

man, my hype for roger tanked big-time on the revelation he protected the celestial dragons

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Garp's on record for not really liking them either, so I imagine there's more to the story.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well it did. Tiger was just an escaped Slave.

Dude literally climbed up the Red Line cliff.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Dude literally climbed up the Red Line cliff.

did he? i figured that was a lie to hide the reason why he was in mariejois in the first place

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:

U-DO Burger posted:

man, my hype for roger tanked big-time on the revelation he protected the celestial dragons

They did make mention the dragons' slaves, so it's possible they just did it to protect them more than the dragons.

Also Garp hating the celestial dragons makes Dragon's name especially ironic even before the revolutionary thing.

A Bug fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 29, 2019

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
He's also 17 feet tall if anyone else is a nerd for statistics. I never noticed he was that big in the flashbacks. But I mean, if this was a lesser of two evils thing I'm sure Rocks must have been pretty horrible himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

U-DO Burger posted:

did he? i figured that was a lie to hide the reason why he was in mariejois in the first place

Nah, they had a panel of it iirc. He was a former slave who presumably escaped then went back the hard way, part of why he's such a legend. Also wouldn't be surprising if the Celestial Dragons were totally undefended from that angle.