Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Boy, and people were mad that Ash was given a Mythical and Ultra Beast

What happens when Go starts catching the Birds, Gerbils, and World-Eaters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, I haven’t really followed Sw/Sh updates at all. Have they said whether bottlecapped pokes will keep their perfect IVs between gens? Will they be marked somehow?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Didn't catching all pokemon use to be Ash's goal too, or was that always just the theme song?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Vinylshadow posted:

Boy, and people were mad that Ash was given a Mythical and Ultra Beast

What happens when Go starts catching the Birds, Gerbils, and World-Eaters?

Which ones are the World-Eaters?

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Larryb posted:

So is Gale of Darkness any better than/different from its predecessor or is it more or less the same as Coliseum only with a new story/more Pokémon?

The XD campaign is quite a bit longer and the Shadow mechanics are actually fleshed out. Colosseum feels like the proof of concept for XD imo.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Electric Phantasm posted:

larvitar

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Electric Phantasm posted:

Weather & Creation Trios on account of each member single-handedly having enough power to lay waste to the entire world

Shh, spoilers

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Larryb posted:

So is Gale of Darkness any better than/different from its predecessor or is it more or less the same as Coliseum only with a new story/more Pokémon?

It's better but if you didn't like Colosseum you probably still won't like Gale of Darkness.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Avalerion posted:

Didn't catching all pokemon use to be Ash's goal too, or was that always just the theme song?
That's just the US theme song. I believe in the JP version the only stated goal is becoming a nebulous pokemon master even at the cost of violating women's rights to privacy.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Do kids these days recognize "gotta catch 'em all" as a pokémon thing? Legitimate question.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Avalerion posted:

Just the English theme song. Ash's goal was never catching every monster even back in the original series and certainly not in each regional reboot.

Cough Drop The Beat fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 29, 2019

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Do kids these days recognize "gotta catch 'em all" as a pokémon thing? Legitimate question.

They retired the tagline a while ago but briefly brought it back for the Gold/Silver remakes... ten years ago!?!?

I don't think a modern kid would recognize the tagline.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Catching them all isn't even a sensible goal in the anime's world, where Pokemon not on hand are cared for by Professors instead of stored in a PC.

Unless Gou is planning on catch-and-release to register as many species as possible as caught in his Pokedex or Rotom Phone, rather than making a Living Dex.

Actually, that seems reasonably doable even in the anime (over the course of several seasons), especially if Ash agrees to temporary trades so Gou can register every Pokemon Ash keeps at Oak's ranch.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 29, 2019

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Detective No. 27 posted:

They retired the tagline a while ago but briefly brought it back for the Gold/Silver remakes... ten years ago!?!?

XY as well, so six years ago.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

It's also a bit ironic to introduce a character wanting to catch them all with the gen where you literally can't catch them all. :haw:

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Avalerion posted:

It's also a bit ironic to introduce a character wanting to catch them all with the gen where you literally can't catch them all. :haw:

Why do you think they're traveling to all the past regions?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Avalerion posted:

Thats why this is a Go tie-in :v:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ash will catch whatever Pokemon interest him and make life-long friends (until he ditches them next generation.)

Gou will throw hundreds of Pokeballs at every Pokemon he sees without any discrimination and mulch duplicates later.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

less laughter posted:

XY as well, so six years ago.

They also still stick the "gotta catch em all" logo in front of various trailers and such. Not for SwSh trailers though :v:

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

I'm mildly bummed Gou is in fact a dude and not a sporty girl but I'll live. Curious what angle they're going for here.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The whole world tour aspect would be a nice excuse to bring back some characters we haven’t seen in a while at the very least (as well as some of Ash’s previous teams come to think of it).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 29, 2019

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Larryb posted:

The whole world tour aspect would be a nice excuse to bring back some characters we haven’t seen in a while at the very least.

That would be interesting come to think of it. Might be an excuse to use more of the pokemon Ash left behind at Oak's lab.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I hope we see Ash's Oshawott again because he was hilarious.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ash makes a team out of six of his four hundred Tauros.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Thats why this is a Go tie-in :v:

You can’t catch every Pokémon in Go though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

You can’t catch every Pokémon in Go though.

I mean you can't catch every Pokemon in Sword & Shield either.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah and one of those games is working to add in the rest post launch.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah and one of those games is working to add in the rest post launch.

... which? I assume Go is adding new Pokemon regularly so that one?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

That's what I was responding to?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
i don't care at all about the pokeyman selection in the new ones and i'm 99% of adult consumers, let alone the kids

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

i don't care at all about the pokeyman selection in the new ones and i'm 99% of adult consumers, let alone the kids

99% of adult consumers are morons, that is widely known.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Flopsy posted:

I'm mildly bummed Gou is in fact a dude and not a sporty girl but I'll live. Curious what angle they're going for here.

It’s still possible they’re hiding that they’re a girl. Or maybe we’ll have our first non-binary Pokémon character(lol no we won’t this is Japan).

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

qnqnx posted:

99% of adult consumers are morons, that is widely known.

well yeah we're excited about playing a child's game

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
everyone stop being dumb as hell

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I'd like to but I can;t

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Countblanc posted:

*spread eagles in front of the gen 3 bulbasaur sprite*

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I'd rather stupid than gross tbh

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Countblanc posted:

Only in the Dragon Quest thread.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Only in the Dragon Quest thread.

I tried the demo for 12 or whatever the new one is and legit couldn't deal with the accents. it made me glad that Pokemon doesn't have voiced dialogue because English accents are garbaggio top to bottom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

RatHat posted:

It’s still possible they’re hiding that they’re a girl. Or maybe we’ll have our first non-binary Pokémon character(lol no we won’t this is Japan).

The VA is male (also Deku from MHA and Narancia from Jojo) so 99.99% chance character is male.