Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Holy gently caress how is Golden Castle of Stromberg an actual archetype. You stop playing Yugioh for five seconds and then the craziest poo poo happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

So the Magic thread spun off into Yugioh chat and I tried looking for recent Blue-Eyes decks and found nothing

http://yugiohtopdecks.com/deck/8083

I found this though and I just cannot parse how it works

Outside of two cards in the extra deck, I can play this in Link Evolution.

This is gonna be fun. :v: Thanks for this!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

MiddleOne posted:

Holy gently caress how is Golden Castle of Stromberg an actual archetype. You stop playing Yugioh for five seconds and then the craziest poo poo happens.

Yugioh has been recently going on a nostalgia kick and is mining the anime for cards to release.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yu gi oh is always on a nostalgia kick.

Every set is basically some mix of competitive cards and cards that remind you of old cards for casual play.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

MiddleOne posted:

Those cards have even been in Duel Links for a while now without making a particular splash in the meta. It's kept from being too strong by having only 30 card deck maximums, but is still playable due to the reduced lifepoints letting you chip away all your opponent has with Cinderella, Lava Golem, and if you're really lucky, a careless opponent who doesn't read what Stromberg does.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Is Valon's armor deck real yet?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Print Diamond-Head Dragon and add Rebecca to Duel Links please.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

Is Valon's armor deck real yet?

I need to know too.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

No Active Armor deck yet, but keep waiting, they'll tap that well eventually.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Valon's deck sadly isn't real yet, though they have to be getting close to running out of other options from DM.

I doubt they'll ever add Rebecca to Duel Links, they seem to be sticking strictly to manga continuity as far as DM characters go.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Armor cards are difficult as you either completely rework how they work alone and together or you end up with a deck that doesn’t really do anything

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Kaiba needs to come back somehow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsJsIHMDstA

The time Kaiba dressed up as a Duel Monsters card and attacked Judai while telling him to die honorably is one of my favorite moments in all of the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

ThermoPhysical posted:

The time Kaiba dressed up as a Duel Monsters card and attacked Judai while telling him to die honorably is one of my favorite moments in all of the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise.

that wasn't kaiba, that was the spirit of a monster kaiba told pegasus to make based on himself

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

MiddleOne posted:

Stromberg Gren Maju recently took second place at a YCS event.

https://youtu.be/R9ZrfPJ5wQ4

It’s amazing. :swoon:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Dabir posted:

that wasn't kaiba, that was the spirit of a monster kaiba told pegasus to make based on himself

Ohhh. Always wondered about that.

Honestly, that makes it even better and only strengthens my need for more Kaiba in the new anime. :v:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

ThermoPhysical posted:

Ohhh. Always wondered about that.

Honestly, that makes it even better and only strengthens my need for more Kaiba in the new anime. :v:

Somehow the monster spirit was less insane than actual Kaiba. Have you seen the Dark Side of Dimensions?

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

DSoD Kaiba is just like... A terrifying tech-fascist who has surveillance cameras everywhere, owns all the world's wealth, has a personal SWAT team and declares himself God at one point. If the upcoming series ends up being a continuation from that movie, he's set himself up to be one hell of a villain.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Skeleton Mom posted:

DSoD Kaiba is just like... A terrifying tech-fascist who has surveillance cameras everywhere, owns all the world's wealth, has a personal SWAT team and declares himself God at one point. If the upcoming series ends up being a continuation from that movie, he's set himself up to be one hell of a villain.

Don't forget the ending, where he created a device that lets him temporarily travel into the afterlife!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

King of Solomon posted:

Don't forget the ending, where he created a device that lets him temporarily travel into the afterlife!

Small correction: the "temporary" part is never confirmed. In fact, Kaiba leaves Mokuba set-up to take over Kaiba Corp.

Kaiba went into the afterlife fully expecting not to come back, entirely to get a revenge card game against his rival.

Skeleton Mom posted:

DSoD Kaiba just feels like Takahashi himself watched Abridged and decided to kick Kaiba up a million notches. Somehow he's now the owner of a loving city (an Abridged joke originally!), with insane hyper technology that exceeds anything seen in the series, and whose character development has reset to zero in favour of being obsessed with a rematch. Admittedly, there's one really good moment for him in the movie, when he makes it clear that it isn't even revenge that's leading him but a genuine feeling that he failed Atem for not being the one that banished him and fear that he may not be able to rest in peace like that, which both shows a caring side of him that wasn't ever shown to anyone but Mokuba and also that he's a ridiculously egocentric dude that thinks he's the only one worth sending Atem to his eternal rest despite Yugi doing it already.

Overall DSoD just isn't very well written though. Really pretty though!

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Blaze Dragon posted:

Small correction: the "temporary" part is never confirmed. In fact, Kaiba leaves Mokuba set-up to take over Kaiba Corp.

Kaiba went into the afterlife fully expecting not to come back, entirely to get a revenge card game against his rival.

True, I did just assume that the tech worked as intended and he'd be back in the living world at some point.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Blaze Dragon posted:

Admittedly, there's one really good moment for him in the movie, when he makes it clear that it isn't even revenge that's leading him but a genuine feeling that he failed Atem for not being the one that banished him and fear that he may not be able to rest in peace like that, which both shows a caring side of him that wasn't ever shown to anyone but Mokuba and also that he's a ridiculously egocentric dude that thinks he's the only one worth sending Atem to his eternal rest despite Yugi doing it already.

Was this only in the Japanese version? I've seen the film in English multiple times and there isn't anything like that in there.

Also I think it's less that Takahashi wanted to make things more over-the-top, it's that he was radicalized & sees a character like Kaiba as a much more frightening, dangerous hyper-capitalist than he did back when he originally wrote duel monsters, so he wrote him to be that way for the movie. Remember when he drew art depicting Yugioh characters telling people not to vote for Shinzo Abe? That fuckin' ruled.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

MiddleOne posted:

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Yugioh has been recently going on a nostalgia kick and is mining the anime for cards to release.

They made an archetypes that's literally just that one dragon maid anime so I assume what happened is they started losing sales and just went full fanservice.

ThermoPhysical posted:

KYOJIN
MUTEKI
SAIKYO

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

Overall DSoD just isn't very well written though. Really pretty though!

DSoD is pretty bad and shits on the ending of the original series. I don't like it. It is super pretty though. It's worth watching just for that.

MJeff posted:

KYOJIN
MUTEKI
SAIKYO

They printed a card with that name back in Legend Duelist 3. :allears: Too bad the TCG mucked it up with the localization.

https://yugioh.fandom.com/wiki/The_Ultimate_Creature_of_Destruction

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The TCG changed a Japanese anime catchphrase into its closest equivalent from the official localisation, like it does every time.

Pyro Jack
Oct 2, 2016
Kaiba was already sociopathic in the original manga. Dude tried to kill Yugi and his friends via electricution (from a deadly game of laser tag or the electric chair), guillotines and sending out a legit serial killer after them. He also got his signature three Blue-Eyes via blackmailing and/or killing various people that owned them. Lastly he nearly put Yugi's grandpa in the hospital by making him experience being attacked by monsters via holograms (thanks to the Pharaoh doing the same thing to him except via magic) and then did the same thing with his younger brother when he was beaten by the Pharaoh. After his second loss, the Pharaoh mind-crushed Kaiba to be less of a dick and thus Kaiba's more memorable characterization was created.

The original manga was pretty crazy, to say that least. Also the Pharaoh was pretty sociopathic aswell.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Dabir posted:

The TCG changed a Japanese anime catchphrase into its closest equivalent from the official localisation, like it does every time.

"Check THIS out!"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

King of Solomon posted:

Somehow the monster spirit was less insane than actual Kaiba. Have you seen the Dark Side of Dimensions?

Hey now, GX Kaiba is cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3KiG2tfloY

I have not seen this movie but it seems to go against literally all of his character development. Kaiba and Pegasus both become much more sane, well-adjusted individuals n the anime continuity.

Although, honestly. Pegasus should have died. I love him, he's the best antagonist in all of Yugioh, but it kinda ruins his story when he just magically gets over the thing that had driven him to such extreme lengths. That's the core of his character - he's funny and jolly and campy, but it's all a front. In reality , he's a broken, hopeless man. But he just suddenly gets over all that after having all his ambitions crushed and being mindfucked by an evil spirit.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
DSoD is weird but I'm willing to bet it ruins Kaiba less than the DM anime did.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The thing about Kaiba in DSOD is that it's explicitly based on the manga continuity, where Kaiba just disappears from the story after Battle City. Thus all the stuff about needing closure with Atem is because in the manga he literally wasn't there when Atem dueled Yugi.

Basically all the character growth post Battle City for Kaiba does not exist in the movie's continuity.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

MJeff posted:

"Check THIS out!"

I hate everything. :argh:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
In the context of "we don't know a movie will be made about this decades later" Kaiba being in the final arc is a good change imo.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

MJeff posted:

They made an archetypes that's literally just that one dragon maid anime so I assume what happened is they started losing sales and just went full fanservice.

KYOJIN
MUTEKI
SAIKYO

I think it’s more likely it’s hard to come up with new archetypes so homages are a godsend when you need a new one every three months

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Didn't Pegasus die in Bonds Beyond Time or did they fix that by the end of it? It's hard to remember what happened in that movie.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

They fixed it. Time travel!

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Skeleton Mom posted:

Didn't Pegasus die in Bonds Beyond Time or did they fix that by the end of it? It's hard to remember what happened in that movie.

He died but they time-travelled to prevent his death to preserve the space-time continuum. Because in Yugioh space-time will literally collapse if Duel Monsters doesn't exist.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Oh, so it just makes no sense at all then, since cardgames continue to exist forever in all canons without Pegasus.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It's weird that Bonds Beyond Time is canon. Like they give no indication that it actually happened, but they name drop Paradox near the end 5Ds. I got so confused since I never watched the movie.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Electric Phantasm posted:

It's weird that Bonds Beyond Time is canon. Like they give no indication that it actually happened, but they name drop Paradox near the end 5Ds. I got so confused since I never watched the movie.

Anime and manga do that from time to time, it doesn't actually matter, it's just a form of advertising

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Isn't Pegasus straight up dead in the manga too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Pyrotoad posted:

Isn't Pegasus straight up dead in the manga too?

Yep, Yami Bakura killed him. A tragic end for a tragic character.

The right end, too. Great characters don't have to stick around forever and I don't see any real place for him to go after Duelist Kingdom.

Unlike Kaiba post-Battle City.